First Time Cruisers Leaving in 10 Days Advice

Riverton Quilter

I've been reading and taking notes on all the good information you have all shared. I want to post what we are doing on our HAL 12 Day Triple Denali cruise aboard the Statendam. Husband and I are celebrating our 35th Anniversary. I have several questions still and want any and all feedback or input. Husband and I want to make the most of our trip and our dollars. We want to do, see all that we can.

Flying in to Anchorage on 9/10/14. Will take taxi to Westmark Anchorage Hotel. We plan to check in and explore on our own. Dinner recommendations (we are non-drinkers)?

9/11 on the McKinley Explorer train to Denali. We plan on taking only one suitcase each so we won't be leaving anything with HAL to catch up with us on the Statendam. Good idea???

9/12 Tundra wilderness Tour

9/13 Denali National Park - Not sure what we will do, want to see the area more any hiking, etc. suggestions

9/14 Motorcoach from Denali to Seward. We've been told this is a 10 hours ride? Anyone done this? Do's Don'ts suggestions to make it nicer, easier, etc.? The ships departs at 8:00 pm. Will we have time after boarding to see or do anything in Seward and if we have time what do you recommend. We are up to museums, wildlife, picture taking, shopping, etc.

9/15 At Sea - couple of questions, do we have access to a gym? Is this an extra cost? We are doing open seating for meals, usually want to eat before 6:00 pm. Do I have this right LIDO is the Buffet, MDR is the main dining room and the dive in are all places to eat included in our cruise cost?

9/16 Glacier Bay - we plan to head for the Crow's Nest early and spend the day. Should we move around the ship for other views? We want to hear the rangers, etc. Will we get info on this?

9/17 Haines - we are taking an excursion to the Eagle Preserve, then plan on doing our own walking site seeing. I think I've read this is where we want to get behind the main street to see the more authentic town, I'm I right or confused? What recommendations do you have for sites to see and how to get about?

9/18 Juneau - Doing whale watching with Harv & Marv Whale Watching tour, they will then drop us off at Mendenhall, we will walk to Nugget Falls, find our way back to dock (how???) and eat at Tracy's Crab Shack.

9/19 Ketchikan - taking with Misty Fjords Air a trip around the fjords. After not sure where and what we are going to do? Recommendations? We will not have a car as our $ went to the air trip (husbands bucket list item) we will have the afternoon free. Open to suggestions please!

9/20 Scenic Cruising the Inside Passage - do we want to plan on being on deck for the day?

9/21 Vancouver - we are going to self disembark, want off early to get our rental car (Avis will pick us up) and drive to Victoria to see the gardens (my bucket list item). Stay in Victoria and fly home on the 22nd.

I've gotten Bonine, SeaBands and Ginger pills for seasickness (we have no clue if we will get sick)

We plan on layers, Denali's high is in the mid 40's so we might have to rethink what type of layers. We have good water proof shoes, rain gear, gloves, etc. We also have bug stuff.

Husband will have his backpack with camera gear, I'll have a day pack to carry layers, snacks (we have to eat or we both get very cranky)

Have cash ready for tips, power strip, alarm clock, over door organizer for bathroom, and duct tape. Miss anything?

So folks, I'm not OCD really but we want to cover our bases and know we did all we could to prepare for this long dreamed about trip. Yes, we keep talking that we will get up for a sunrise, stay up for a sunset and have fun no matter what.

Thanks for sharing your reviews of excursions, cruises, etc. I'm not sure I will stop reading after we get home. You all sound like a fun group of people.

Lets hear your suggestions and ideas and I'm happy to say I'm going crusing too!!!

Hi

These are only my opinions from my recent HAL Alaska cruise but I would say :

You can go in the gym at no extra charge. Somehow I never got round to it :) And all meals at those places you mention are included in the cruise cost.

Glacier Bay

The ship is not crowded from the point of view of having to get and hold a vantage point so go up to the Crow's Nest by all means but you'll want to move around and especially go outside where they open the door at the front (deck 4 or 5) and the area in from of the gym, and the back. You spend over an hour next to Margarie Glacier so there's lots of time to get the views you want. The rangers' commentary is only really audible if you stay near one of the speakers around the ship. There are a few upon deck too but it's hard to hear it all as you move around. However the rangers are easy to find if you have questions, and very pleased to answer them.

Juneau

Once you are dropped off at Mendenhall you'll want at least 75 minutes there, perhaps more if you want a good poke around the Visitor Centre ($3) and I'm sure you can get back by buying a one-way ticket on the MGT shuttle.It will be $10 pp and takes about half an hour to get back to Juneau.

Ketchikan

If you have time (and it's not raining too hard :D) you could just walk around this charming little town.

Scenic Cruising

I found it pretty enough but not terribly varied, so you won't want to spend all day looking at it !

On the ship you won't need an alarm clock, as the wake-up call facility on your state room phone is plenty loud enough.

I am sure you'll have a great time - if it's any interest I made a few videos of my recent cruise and they are at the top of the list which can be found from my sig link below. All the best, Tony

Just got back from the NCL Sun's Authntic Alaska cruisetour and can answer some of your questions:

Flying in to Anchorage on 9/10/14. Will take taxi to Westmark Anchorage Hotel. We plan to check in and explore on our own. Dinner recommendations (we are non-drinkers)?

Glacier Brewhouse is one of my favorite restaurants in Anchorage and a favorite of locals as well. Not necessary to be a drinker to enjoy the excellent food and varied menu. Reservations are a must - they are on OpenTable.

9/11 on the McKinley Explorer train to Denali. We plan on taking only one suitcase each so we won't be leaving anything with HAL to catch up with us on the Statendam. Good idea???

Our transfers were flawless, and you won't necessarily want to be lugging luggage around.

The TWT is in a school bus outfitted with more comfortable seats and good climate control. We went about 57 miles into the park, some of it over very narrow gravel roads which wind up the sides of mountains. This and the visitors center - which is very well done and informative - make you realize that Denali NP is not about Mt McKinley (which you can almost never see anyway because it’s in the clouds most of the time), but about the wilderness and the natural beauty of the park. Even though it was the end of August, it was peak color-changing season for the tundra as this was their fall (snow will start by mid-September). A park naturalist is the driver and narrates the entire 7-8 hour trip (length depends on how many stops you make for wildlife). We saw many bears, moose, and caribou.

9/13 Denali National Park - Not sure what we will do, want to see the area more any hiking, etc. suggestions

We went white water rafting with the Denali Outdoor Center. It was excellent! you can either float (the oar trip) or actually participate (the paddle trip which we did). You are outfitted with dry suits so no worries about getting wet. They have other outdoor adventures as well, and we enjoyed the staff a lot. We also went on Jeff King's Husky Homestead tour and enjoyed it a lot.

9/18 Juneau - Doing whale watching with Harv & Marv Whale Watching tour, they will then drop us off at Mendenhall, we will walk to Nugget Falls, find our way back to dock (how???) and eat at Tracy's Crab Shack.

We did Harv & Marv's trip and loved it. That they only take 6 people out at a time means that you have the flexibility to move quickly to where the whales are (the captains all tip each other off to where they have been seen). We also ate at Tracy's afterwards, though we only stayed at the glacier for the length of time the bus stopped there (about 15 minutes - long enough to see the glacier and get some good shots). Anything more in which you take other transportation back may cut your time short vis-a-vis Tracy's

9/20 Scenic Cruising the Inside Passage - do we want to plan on being on deck for the day?

South of Ketchikan, there is not much to see . . .

We plan on layers, Denali's high is in the mid 40's so we might have to rethink what type of layers. We have good water proof shoes, rain gear, gloves, etc. We also have bug stuff.

Layers will also be good for Glacier Bay. You won't need the bug stuff - they are all gone this time of year (we saw one single mosquito in Denali)

Have cash ready for tips, power strip, alarm clock, over door organizer for bathroom, and duct tape. Miss anything?

Magnetic clips are great for keeping track of papers, tickets, daily cruise newsletter )cabin walls are metal so they will stick almost anywhere.

Have a great trip!!

Don't bother packing your own power strip, save the luggage space. HAL has them at the front desk, just go and ask on the first day. We had it the whole trip and didn't have to hand it back until the morning we disembarked. No charge. (And I had read beforehand that some ships won't let you use a power strip that isn't their own... so there you go)

Just wanted to add - saw about the food. The included food is the MDR, Lido and Dive-In. You can also get room service 24 hours a day. There are specific hours for each place that will be posted to you the day before in your on location. The Dive-In is the only food place that is lunch only, usually open around 11/11:30 to 5/5:30ish. Lido will also have a late night buffet each night. Otherwise, Lido and MDR do have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If you know you will be going to the MDR with your open seating you can make a reservation beforehand for a table. You can make reservations for up to 3 days in a row for a specific time/certain table type (like, we wanted tables for 2)

Edited by kittercat85

Just checking: do you realize that the ship docks in Vancouver which is on mainland. Victoria is on Vancouver Island. You would need to take a ferry to get there. You might already know this but I didn't want you to have an unwelcome surprise.

In Ketchikan, after your excursion, it is a nice walk to Creek Street to do a bit of shopping.

Edited by Daisyloo

I've been reading and taking notes on all the good information you have all shared. I want to post what we are doing on our HAL 12 Day Triple Denali cruise aboard the Statendam. Husband and I are celebrating our 35th Anniversary. I have several questions still and want any and all feedback or input. Husband and I want to make the most of our trip and our dollars. We want to do, see all that we can.

9/14 Motorcoach from Denali to Seward. We've been told this is a 10 hours ride? Anyone done this? Do's Don'ts suggestions to make it nicer, easier, etc.? The ships departs at 8:00 pm. Will we have time after boarding to see or do anything in Seward and if we have time what do you recommend. We are up to museums, wildlife, picture taking, shopping, etc.

9/15 At Sea - couple of questions, do we have access to a gym? Is this an extra cost? We are doing open seating for meals, usually want to eat before 6:00 pm. Do I have this right LIDO is the Buffet, MDR is the main dining room and the dive in are all places to eat included in our cruise cost?

9/16 Glacier Bay - we plan to head for the Crow's Nest early and spend the day. Should we move around the ship for other views? We want to hear the rangers, etc. Will we get info on this?

9/17 Haines - we are taking an excursion to the Eagle Preserve, then plan on doing our own walking site seeing. I think I've read this is where we want to get behind the main street to see the more authentic town, I'm I right or confused? What recommendations do you have for sites to see and how to get about?

9/19 Ketchikan - taking with Misty Fjords Air a trip around the fjords. After not sure where and what we are going to do? Recommendations? We will not have a car as our $ went to the air trip (husbands bucket list item) we will have the afternoon free. Open to suggestions please!

9/21 Vancouver - we are going to self disembark, want off early to get our rental car (Avis will pick us up) and drive to Victoria to see the gardens (my bucket list item). Stay in Victoria and fly home on the 22nd.

I've gotten Bonine, SeaBands and Ginger pills for seasickness (we have no clue if we will get sick)

Husband will have his backpack with camera gear, I'll have a day pack to carry layers, snacks (we have to eat or we both get very cranky)

So folks, I'm not OCD really but we want to cover our bases and know we did all we could to prepare for this long dreamed about trip. Yes, we keep talking that we will get up for a sunrise, stay up for a sunset and have fun no matter what.

Thanks for sharing your reviews of excursions, cruises, etc. I'm not sure I will stop reading after we get home. You all sound like a fun group of people.

Lets hear your suggestions and ideas and I'm happy to say I'm going crusing too!!!

Being you have an entire extra day in Denali, I would suggest the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake, you currently are only getting about half way in. no bugs in this timeframe, and at the least Eielson is worthwhile to consider.

Yes it is at least 10 hours on a bus to Seward, and not the best itinerary. If you are leaving the same day, you aren't going to have time for hardly anything except maybe a quick stop? Most of the ride is pretty dull, with the top scenery on the passenger side of the Arm- for about an hour. But if your first time, should have more interest?

As for Haines, I don't find this a very worthwhile tour. Eagles are seen all over Alaska, if that is your reason? If this is a float trip they are pretty good, nothing too exciting however. I also suggest a rental car- Avis is walkable, and spending some time bear searching, and driving the Haines Highway. Would see eagles as well. The point is to be more flexible with your time, and not on a fixed short tour.

The Denali bus ride stops for restrooms/port potty but there is no food to buy in the park so make sure you have boxed lunch/snacks/water to take and eat on the bus that will last you all day. There is a subway across the street from the park entrance that has the typical $5 footlongs for $10.

Not sure of your Juneau times but the $10 one way p/p bus stops running at 6 pm so if you want to stay longer and to do the hike to the falls (45 min r/t) take the phone number for the taxi and call a little before you are ready to leave. Plan on $30-$40 for cab back to town.

From Vancouver to Victoria check the ferries closely as there are several departure and arrival points and you want to make sure to pick the best one for your travels and be ready for sticker shock. Were are headed from Whistler (north of Vancouver) to Nanaimo (North of Victoria) and the ferry is over $100 Canadian car and driver plus one person.

Sightcrr

You have already received a host of excellent ideas! One additional suggestion is to consider the local museum in each of the communities you visit; they provide a fascinating look at Alaskan history. We wish you an outstanding cruise. Alaska is a wonderful place.

Another vote for Glacier Brewhouse and good advise on reservation...glad we heard that cause the night we went wait was 1 1/2 hours. One word of advise on the bus ride from Denali to Seward...limit your liquids as the rest room stops are not much more than outhouses so you will want to use them only if absolutely necessary. The lunch stop has nice rest rooms!

For dinner in Anchorage you mentioned that you don't drink but what kind of food do you want ? Glacier Brewhouse, Snow Goose has a nice view, Simon Seaforts if you want something special. Snow city is great but only open for b'fast and lunch. Check the menus of each on-line.

For your 2nd day at Denali, you could take a shuttle into the park again,about $35pp to Eielson Visitor Center. The Park Newsletter has info on hikes, ranger activities, and the free sled dog demo. The demo is usally at 10, 2 and 4, but after Labor Day they drop one of the shows, so check on the times.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/upload/Alpenglow2014_int.pdf

Or look at the Denali Chamber of Commerce web site: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

For the Victoria drive, be advised that the ferry route isn't called Vancouver to Victoria; it's Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay. It's a 30-40 minute drive from Vancouver to Tswwassen, then 90 minutes on the ferry ( lovely ride), then another 30 minutes from Swartz Bay to Victoria.

Are you driving to the airport with the rental car or going back to Vancouver?

Give yourself 2 hrs for the return trip and don't miss the ferry. You might want to price Pacific Coach for the Victoria trip. Taking a car on the ferry is expensive and you don't really need a car in Victoria.

For info Butchart Gardens is about 1/2 way between Swartz Bay and downtown and spectacular. Close to downtown is the Government House & Gardens a free garden that we really enjoyed. We were on the way to Abkhazi Gardens nearby which costs to enter and never made it because we enjoyed Government House so much. From downtown we took a cab (uphill) and walked back to downtown.

Sightcrr

With 2 full days for Denali, I would do as Budget Queen suggested and take a tour that will get you further into the park.

Then instead of a grueling 10 hour motorcoach ride from Denali to Seward, break it up.

Head down to Anchorage and stop there for the night of 9/13.

Then take the early morning train from Anchorage to Seward on 9/14, which should get you down there in time to catch a wonderful Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward.

You need one at least 6 hours long that gets you out of the bay and up into the fjords for the best glacier and wildlife viewing.

Don't let them sell you a 3 hour tour that only sails around inside Resurrection Bay.

Take precautions against seasickness for that boat ride because it needs to travel across a short section that can be quite choppy at times, but well worth it for the spectacular sights that follow.

The Kenai Fjords tour will get you back to Seward with plenty of time to spare, so no concerns at all about missing the ship.

You will probably be tired after all that sightseeing, but it is well worth it, and the following day will be a nice, relaxing day on the ship where you can rest up.

In Haines, if you plan to have a rental car take along Murray's Guide to the Haines Highway, free at

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/haines_highway.html

and also take a drive along the Chilkoot River to the Chilkoot Lake around dusk to look for bears.

It may be too late in the season, but it is worth a try.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find the bears hanging out there, so you get your own wonderful free bear watching excursion in that area -- no expensive tour needed.

In and out. There will be scenery all around you.

If you bring along a map of your cruise route, you can mark the most scenic spots along the way on it and know what to look for.

Get a good Alaska guide book or two, and also ask the naturalist on your ship for suggestions, for example, where you have the best chance of seeing orcas, where you pass the scenic little lighthouses along the way, what time you will go through Seymour Narrows, what time in the morning you will pass under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Many cruise ships have one channel on the TV that always shows the route map with your ship's current position, so you can always know where you are.

(I don't know whether or not your ship has that.)

One of the biggest disadvantages to going so late in the season is that it gets dark very early.

There is no concern about staying up for a sunset but rather the reverse, hoping that the ship will travel through the scenic areas you most want to see before it gets dark.

9/21 Vancouver - we are going to self disembark, want off early to get our rental car (Avis will pick us up) and drive to Victoria to see the gardens (my bucket list item). Stay in Victoria and fly home on the 22nd.!
Very nice indeed, but don't be in too great a hurry to leave Vancouver, an amazing city that is not to be missed.

It would be great if you could add an extra day or two there, but at least take a tour around the city and visit Stanley Park before heading off on the ferry to Victoria.

You may even get lucky and have another chance to see orcas on that ferry ride across from Vancouver to Vancouver Island as there are some resident pods in the area, but they do move around.

The ferry boat captain should have a good idea of where they will be hanging out at that time and whether or not you will see them.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited by fleckle

We have also eaten at the Glacier Brewhouse -- both lunch and dinner.

HAL's gyms open at 6 AM and close at 10.

You may also be interested in eating dinner in the dining room. The Lower Level of the dining room is Open Seating and you can go any time you are ready to eat. It is open from 5:15 - 9 PM.

What you have planned is wonderful.

Bon Voyage!!