Live from Rotterdam to Norway, Sept. 6-13, 2014 (plus a few days in Netherlands)

sppunk

Thursday, Sept 4

True story: we are tonight in a guest house bed and breakfast located on a bicycle-only paved road, next to a water pump keeping the nearby ocean from flooding this country, and in the middle of a dairy farm. This is Holland heaven. They call this village/town/whatever Schipluiden. I'll stick to heaven, as I can pronounce it.

Our friends thought this would be a neat place to experience their country and boy were they right. After picking us up in Amsterdam at Hotel Estherea (highly recommended, btw) we got a private tour of their bakery (it was closed when we arrived) located about an hour away. Tomorrow we get to see and taste it in it's full force.

We then went to terrific dinner overlooking the Port of Rotterdam. Even cooler, the restaurant and this B&B have zero English menus/brochures/etc. it's true Dutch. Then to a delta work to see how they can, if needed, keep the sea the sea and the land the land.

A great end to a great day.

So let's take a look back starting this morning.

After going to sleep around 8 p.m., we awoke at 7:30 a.m. this morning with no traces of jet lag. Success!

We had 9 a.m. reservations at the Anne Frank House. Coming to visit this museum? Buy your tickets ahead of time, avoid the 2 hour-plus like for those without reservations.

I'm not going to dwell much on this because it's too horrific for my mind to process and as a 33 year old American my perspective is clearly slanted. I will say that Anne Frank is one of millions upon millions who needlessly died because of hatred. To know evil overwhelmed this city and nation and now is a place for open minds and alternative lifestyles to flourish shows us how far we can advance in 70 years.

On to happier notes we stopped by the tulip museum (thanks for that suggestion!) and enjoyed this little place. I do freelance work for a garden shop so this was fun for me. And it's uplifting after a sad experience.

I've learned a few things in our short time here. First, the Dutch have a sense of humor.

The country is known for having tall citizens, which usually means they'll have larger feet. So in what I can only imagine as a national inside joke every staircase built is more narrow and steepthan the previously one. Seriously, I have had to walk sideways down stairs saying Hail Mary's (note: I'm not catholic) more in the past two days than my entire life added together.

We then walked. And walked. And walked. Taking in Amsterdam is easy and fun. Just keep your head on a swivel as bicyclists are like crazy ants and cars ignore one-way roads like I ignore green beans at dinner.

We stopped by the Rijksmuseum too but didn't have enough time to go in. Next time ...

Then our friends met us and I hear cows mooing. That was today. A great one.

Didn't take a great many photos today but this one sums up the day perfectly:

image.jpg

Tomorrow we are being picked up at 6:30 a.m. for a private tour of a greenhouse that grows tulips, orchids and more. Then to the bakery for more calories than I can count. Then to Delft. Then? Who knows, we were told it's a surprise. Judging by tonight's surprise I have super high expectations and know they'll be met.

I'm in love with your country, Copper 10-8.

Overheard comment of the day:

"That boat driver must've had a few brownies."

Edited by sppunk

I checked out your first night's hotel and it is already booked for the few days before the cruise that we're booked on next June! Beautiful hotel. Looking forward to hearing about your bakery tasting and accompanying photos of your day. Thank you from a fellow Red Sox fan. (They're playing the Yankees as I type - for the last time this year/season.)

Thanks for your report. I am sure you will love Delft, great place.

You will also notice in the bakery we dutch have lots of different (and tasteful) breads, one of the things we miss most when abroad.

Friday, Sept. 5, 2014

Disclaimer: Today might be one of my favorite days to have ever lived. I hope my words can paint even a little picture of thee magic we experienced. This report won't be brief, so fair warning.

------

Today we climbed up inside to the top of a windmill. Today we visited Delft. Today we had a private tour of Rotterdam V. Today we enjoyed the best bakery on this planet. Today we experienced the second-largest flower auction in the world.

Today was perfect.

To start, we woke up before daybreak amongst the cows and alongside the canal. The B&B was perfect. Apologies for the poor photo but it was 6:15 a.m.

image.jpg

Our friends picked us up for our first surprise. It turned out to be FloraHolland, one of the largest flower auctions on earth. This building was massive. Like if you've been to Boeing's Washington plant this building reminded me of that one.

Our friend's father is a buyer so we got to experience the auction experience first-hand. Did you know orchids here sale for $5.9 euro? They can be $100 USD back home so I think I found a new calling.

Anyway, more flowers than the eye can meet, all in a crazy automated system. My inner tech geek loved the machinery. My soul loved the color.

image.jpg

You can learn more about this at https://www.floraholland.com/en/.

Our next stop was our friends' bakery. Family-owned for multiple generations, this is the most amazing bakery I've seen. Nothing can compare that I know of in America. They grow their own grain, use their windmill to mash it, then create bread and pastries with it.

We were served a feast there for breakfast. Breads, croissants filled with ham and cheese, pastries, etc. I might move in ....

Here is a small sample of what we devoured.

image.jpg

From there, to Delft. First though, a pit stop at a local grocery store.

One of our favorite things to do is visit local grocery stores. It gives a great insight into local culture plus a fun way to see different foods not available at home.

Their meat selection made our beloved Wegmans look depressing. But you can't but the 40 lb. bag of Snickers, the 68-piece frozen chicken breasts or the fake American "cheese" so they're really missing out

Delft was a great little city. We toured the Royal Delft porcelain factory, the new church, wandered a bit more and enjoyed a nice lunch (and beer) in the square watching a wedding in front of city hall.

Did you know a Royal Delft china requires your first born, a block of gold and one kidney? Neither did I, but now I know!

Also, note to Delft: a church that saw a groundbreaking in 1396 and opened in 1496 shouldn't be called "The New Church."

In actuality, visiting made me ashamed I didn't know much at all about the Dutch political history. I plan to remedy that soon.

After Delft, we went to a windmill. I know you are there saying, "There are 789,467 windmills in that country, who cares?" BUT! This windmill is operated by friend of our hosts so we had a private tour in a windmill built in 1819 and was operated by a live-in family through the late 1970s.

The friend's friend explained how it works, ran pumps for us, then let us inside. We climbed up the 4 funny ladder-like staircases to the top to see the massive brake for the blades.

To think these things were invented centuries ago to allow this nation to exist safely is beyond my comprehension.

image.jpg

image.jpg

From there, dinner and then to Rotterdam V. I of course have read much about this ship but seeing it was a wonderful experience. Being fellow cruisers and from here, our friends know math former and current HAL officers. Our friends were able to provide a detailed tour of the ship's history, the renovation, the class system/staircase design element (genius, that was) and much more.

It's Harbor Night here too so it was packed with Dutch having a good time. Really, the perfect ending to a perfect day.

We now are staying on the 19th floor of the Nhow Hotel overlooking Rotterdam and the bridge. We are next to the port, where tomorrow we board the current Rotterdam and sail north to Norway. I'm sure the cruise will be great but the past three days here in the Netherlands can't be topped. I dare Norway to try!

That's all from now from Rotterdam.

Overheard comment of the day

"Delft should make a design for America."

Chris, it sounds like y'all have had an amazing day. And your wonderful writing has made us feel that we are right there, too. (Wish we were!!)

Have a great cruise! Can't wait to see your pictures (and commentary) of the fjiords.

BON VOYAGE !!

Friday, Sept. 5, 2014

Disclaimer: Today might be one of my favorite days to have ever lived. I hope my words can paint even a little picture of thee magic we experienced. This report won't be brief, so fair warning.

------

Today we climbed up inside to the top of a windmill. Today we visited Delft. Today we had a private tour of Rotterdam V. Today we enjoyed the best bakery on this planet. Today we experienced the second-largest flower auction in the world.

Today was perfect.

To start, we woke up before daybreak amongst the cows and alongside the canal. The B&B was perfect. Apologies for the poor photo but it was 6:15 a.m.

image.jpg

Our friends picked us up for our first surprise. It turned out to be FloraHolland, one of the largest flower auctions on earth. This building was massive. Like if you've been to Boeing's Washington plant this building reminded me of that one.

Our friend's father is a buyer so we got to experience the auction experience first-hand. Did you know orchids here sale for $5.9 euro? They can be $100 USD back home so I think I found a new calling.

Anyway, more flowers than the eye can meet, all in a crazy automated system. My inner tech geek loved the machinery. My soul loved the color.

image.jpg

You can learn more about this at https://www.floraholland.com/en/.

Our next stop was our friends' bakery. Family-owned for multiple generations, this is the most amazing bakery I've seen. Nothing can compare that I know of in America. They grow their own grain, use their windmill to mash it, then create bread and pastries with it.

We were served a feast there for breakfast. Breads, croissants filled with ham and cheese, pastries, etc. I might move in ....

Here is a small sample of what we devoured.

image.jpg

From there, to Delft. First though, a pit stop at a local grocery store.

One of our favorite things to do is visit local grocery stores. It gives a great insight into local culture plus a fun way to see different foods not available at home.

Their meat selection made our beloved Wegmans look depressing. But you can't but the 40 lb. bag of Snickers, the 68-piece frozen chicken breasts or the fake American "cheese" so they're really missing out

Delft was a great little city. We toured the Royal Delft porcelain factory, the new church, wandered a bit more and enjoyed a nice lunch (and beer) in the square watching a wedding in front of city hall.

Did you know a Royal Delft china requires your first born, a block of gold and one kidney? Neither did I, but now I know!

Also, note to Delft: a church that saw a groundbreaking in 1396 and opened in 1496 shouldn't be called "The New Church."

In actuality, visiting made me ashamed I didn't know much at all about the Dutch political history. I plan to remedy that soon.

After Delft, we went to a windmill. I know you are there saying, "There are 789,467 windmills in that country, who cares?" BUT! This windmill is operated by friend of our hosts so we had a private tour in a windmill built in 1819 and was operated by a live-in family through the late 1970s.

The friend's friend explained how it works, ran pumps for us, then let us inside. We climbed up the 4 funny ladder-like staircases to the top to see the massive brake for the blades.

To think these things were invented centuries ago to allow this nation to exist safely is beyond my comprehension.

image.jpg

image.jpg

From there, dinner and then to Rotterdam V. I of course have read much about this ship but seeing it was a wonderful experience. Being fellow cruisers and from here, our friends know math former and current HAL officers. Our friends were able to provide a detailed tour of the ship's history, the renovation, the class system/staircase design element (genius, that was) and much more.

It's Harbor Night here too so it was packed with Dutch having a good time. Really, the perfect ending to a perfect day.

We now are staying on the 19th floor of the Nhow Hotel overlooking Rotterdam and the bridge. We are next to the port, where tomorrow we board the current Rotterdam and sail north to Norway. I'm sure the cruise will be great but the past three days here in the Netherlands can't be topped. I dare Norway to try!

That's all from now from Rotterdam.

"Delft should make a design for America."

Sounds like you had a great day exploring Rotterdam.

Greetings from Bergen!

119 is the number of the week. We'll explain more later.

A long report follows, since we missed a few days.

Below you'll read new info learned about the Pinnacle ship, the 119 reason, phantom toilet flushing and much more!

Saturday, Sept. 6, 2015

When I last left you we were about to walk down the sidewalk to the pier. All went well and we were onboard by 11:45, I had Dive In fries in-hand by 12:15. I had a wang-wang in hand by 12:30 and all was right with the world.

A bit of fear struck when we went to our cabin for the first time; we had a non-flushing toilet a few hours of the day but a plumber came, reset something and fixed it. Well, sort of. We've had a misbehaving toilet; it'll sometimes flush but sometimes not. Annoying to say the least. I've basically resorted to use the bathroom outside the MDR as it's just downstairs below us basically.

Saturday also was World Harbor Day in Rotterdam and it was wall-to-wall people lining the bridge and both sides of the river. We took a walk across the bridge to get a few good shots of Rotterdam and the famous "block building". The iPhone photo turned out well enough do here you are:

image.jpg

You can see the crowds enmass on the bridge here. They were three-deep in many places

image.jpg

We wandered around a bit and returned to use the port's free wifi but alas it was over capacity.

The muster drill was pure chaos, worst I've ever experienced. In fact if there is any emergency on this trip we're all screwed.

We were all outside and helicopters were doing aerial maneuvers diving at the water, hovering alongside the ship, etc., while other ships were having horn-blowing contests.

You couldn't hear anything and roll call was impossible. This is where a Princess-style system of checking in key cards works perfectly and saves so much time and aggravation, I wish HAL would implement this already. It takes the yelling in a megaphone out of the equation. Maybe one day.

We have cabin 6229, the starboard aft corner. We parked ourselves there for the sail out and guess what? We saw our friends! They were at a delta work swinging emergency thingamabob (it is a gate contraption that closes to keep the ocean out of Rotterdam in case it is needed) and we saw them, they saw us, waves exchanged and a goodbye phone call placed (my phone bill is going to be awfully high ... I'm scared to see how much that call cost me). They were there watching us sail out, a common things for the Dutch to do here. They love this ship and company. We love our Dutch friends. It's an all-out lovefest over here.

Speaking of the Dutch, they are everywhere. In fact, of Rotterdam's 1,300 or so passengers only 119 speak English. It's between 85-90 percent Dutch (officer told me, he knows). We couldn't get an English menu Saturday evening which made for interesting dinner choices. It was an odd dinner in every respect, Our waiters never really introduced themselves and got every course wrong for at least one of us. A kid around 12 next to us threw crying fits, stuck his tongue out at people, took off his shoes and walked around the table and not one of the 7 others at the table seemed to care. Not a good first night in the MDR.

After the 2 hour dinner (ugh) we walked around listening to the entertainment.

We are piano bar people. This trip is Piano Bar Entertainer Bob. Gonna be honest, we can't stand him. He has backing music to every song and doesn't even play the piano for many. A big no-no for me. We have resorted to drinking our Wang Wangs with the Adiago Strings as the Neptunes aren't our cup of tea and the HAL Cats are annoyingly loud. I miss you, Diane Fast!

Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014

A glorious sea day. One where we slept until 10:30, woke up, enjoyed the balcony and went to lunch around 1:30.

Here was my view

image.jpg

Since this cruise is all Dutch and they love to sit at a table after a meal and never leave, tables in the lido and around the pool are impossible to find. It's a culture difference bit I don't understand the desire to sit at a table after eating and just state at each other. Culture upbringing is to blame.

A officer onboard (I won't say the title due to privacy) is one we've sailed with twice, including last October's Eurodam cruise. We got to know him well then and were delighted to see him onboard. We talked to him a good show Sunday and he let loose a few new HAL ship rumors/facts.

The ship will be 10 letters, inclusive of "dam". It was going to be Neuw Rotterdam but that got axe'd.

As far design, It will look identical to Queen Victoria. Very few differences.

It will have several new dining options but keep the MDR. It's designer is actually onboard this cruise and Rotterdam's next drydock will mimic the new ship design a bit.

The theme will be music. It will feature lots of new technology.

We really didn't do anything at all, other than get future cruise deposits for ourselves and buy two as a thank you to our friends for all the did for us. We hope the find the gesture nice although it no way can pay back for all they did for us.

Dinner was formal, the crab legs good and the service much better. The kid next to us was still loud and annoying but at least he stayed seated.

A few drinks, a little NFL watching and then sleep. I sure do love sea days!

Monday, Sept. 8, 2014

We are now in Bergen, enjoying an $9 tall iced chai latte at Starbucks. Free wifi, yeah right!

We rode up to Mt Foyen or whatnot, explored the mountain top for a few hours, then walked back down.

It's a gorgeous day, sunny and upper 50s.

I'll post more about Bergen later. Here is an image to tease you.

image.jpg

More later.

Dwribj disgrfx twos sbsowt"

(That's my Dutch translation!)

Edited by sppunk

Greetings from Bergen!

The ship will be 10 letters, inclusive of "dam". It was going to be Neuw Rotterdam but that got axe'd.

As far design, It will look identical to Queen Victoria. Very few differences.

It will have several new dining options but keep the MDR. It's designer is actually onboard this cruise and Rotterdam's next drydock will mimic the new ship design a bit.

The theme will be music. It will feature lots of new technology.

Thank you for your update on your cruise and also the new ship.

Given your name indication, this rules out Statendam, or New Statendam, unless the spelling will be "old school Dutch" if it is Staetendam, like it used to be way back.

Edited by Alphen