NCL Reports It Has Agreed to Purchase PCH

rallydave

Agree -- the sky is definitely not falling. I am neither concerned nor overly happy. Definitely thrilled that FDR will remain CEO for the foreseeable future. Also, do not see any relationship between what Carnival has done with the cruise companies they own and what NCL will do with Oceania and Regent.

Keep in mind that stress isn't healthy....... so smile:D

We exclusively sailed on Holland America and then Carnival bought HAL. Since the buyout HAL's service and quality of food has continued to decline.

That is why we switched to Regent & Oceania. Now where will we go ?

Signed,

Very disappointed :mad:

There's a sensational, heated discussion over on the HAL board as the result of someone asking if other HAL cruisers had been sailing more with...Norwegian. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093692 The reality is, despite lingering perceptions, Norwegian is ascendant in the industry. And rather than being solely focused on creating a huge, immediate return for shareholders, they are investing billions of dollars in six new builds (two Breakaway-class and four Breakaway Plus-class ships) and hundreds of millions of dollars in their Norwegian Next fleet enhancement http://www.ncl.com/next. Now a $3 billion investment in expanding their ship/service portfolio. Norwegian's board of directors is playing long ball. They're not trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. (If I may mix my metaphores.) Welcome aboard! :)

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Agree -- the sky is definitely not falling. I am neither concerned nor overly happy. Definitely thrilled that FDR will remain CEO for the foreseeable future. Also, do not see any relationship between what Carnival has done with the cruise companies they own and what NCL will do with Oceania and Regent.

Keep in mind that stress isn't healthy....... so smile:D

Some common sense..Thanks,

Jancruz1

There's a sensational, heated discussion over on the HAL board as the result of someone asking if other HAL cruisers had been sailing more with...Norwegian. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093692 The reality is, despite lingering perceptions, Norwegian is ascendant in the industry. And rather than being solely focused on creating a huge, immediate return for shareholders, they are investing billions of dollars in six new builds (two Breakaway-class and four Breakaway Plus-class ships) and hundreds of millions of dollars in their Norwegian Next fleet enhancement http://www.ncl.com/next. Now a $3 billion investment in expanding their ship/service portfolio. Norwegian's board of directors is playing long ball. They're not trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. (If I may mix my metaphores.) Welcome aboard! :)

Your comments are very encouraging and I hope you are right.

I just received an email from Regent (signed by FDR) and it stated that Regent had been sold to NCL and that nothing would change with Regent.

I recall I received the same letter from AK Lanterman, former CEO of HAL, stating that HAL had been sold to Carnival and nothing would change (over 20 years ago ).

Norwegian is ascendant in the industry. And rather than being solely focused on creating a huge, immediate return for shareholders, they are investing billions of dollars in six new builds (two Breakaway-class and four Breakaway Plus-class ships) and hundreds of millions of dollars in their Norwegian Next fleet enhancement http://www.ncl.com/next. Now a $3 billion investment in expanding their ship/service portfolio. Norwegian's board of directors is playing long ball. They're not trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. (If I may mix my metaphores.) Welcome aboard! :)

Couldn't agree more. If they handle this well, it could be a game changer.

There is obviously a market for cruises in the segment that Oceania is in, so if NCL cut back on food costs, removes staff etc.. then of course pretty soon a new cruise company that focuses on good food, service and medium-sized ship quickly distinguish itself in the market just like Oceania did when HAL quality dropped!

Guys the sky isnt falling ....a cruise line was bought, cant we all adopt a wait and see attitude??

Jancruz1

And well we should. This just happened and if Frank Del Rio is the man we know and love, Oceania will keep up its high standards of food, service and itineraries. We all know Cunard is owned by Carnival - people still sail on Cunard with their class system. I'm sailing in 3 weeks on Nautica and will let everyone know if anything has changed yet!! Arlene

Think some more about this, the best thing that could happen is that FDR becomes CEO of the whole new company. He seems to me to be the best CEO in the industry today. Can only hope. :):):)

I agree 1,000 percent! As long as FDR is CEO, we aren't going to any other cruise company. If/when he retires, it may be time for us to do the same thing. We are very loyal to that amazing man!

While the sky may not be falling, my experience with the "Carnivalization" of HAL and Seabourn did, indeed, have a significant impact on the product, quality, and the service. I think this is sad, but it is the almighty profit that drives these decisions. Looks like Silversea and Crystal are a couple of the only independent companies left. Oh well, pretty soon there will be one bank, airline, market, etc!

And well we should. This just happened and if Frank Del Rio is the man we know and love, Oceania will keep up its high standards of food, service and itineraries. We all know Cunard is owned by Carnival - people still sail on Cunard with their class system. I'm sailing in 3 weeks on Nautica and will let everyone know if anything has changed yet!! Arlene

I would think in three weeks the only thing that would happen is new letterhead and business cards; supplies, food products, etc. will have long since been in the pipeline and purveyor contracts from the prior regime no doubt are in place through 2014 at least and possibly longer in some cases. I wouldn't expect to see any customer-facing changes until 2015.

Are all you folks forgetting the doom and gloom that was predicted when Apollo bought Oceania? Never happened -- instead, we got Marina and Riviera, and Oceania bought the 3 R ships thee had been chartering, and all the ships have been kept up better than any in the industry, and the ships are sailing at 95% full! So much for those predictions...

Then, the same predictions when Apollo bought Regent -- and what happened? Massive investments in upgrading the ships (which they sorely needed), ships are sailing 95% full, most guests are happy.

Then, all the predictions that Prestige would merge Oceania and Regent, with the result that bot would suffer. Never happened.

All the predictions of what will happen with this merger will also fade in time -- the products will all be better, management will learn from each other (I understand FDR has already advised NCL), and all of us will be happy.

Mark my words -- this is a Good Thing.

We exclusively sailed on Holland America and then Carnival bought HAL. Since the buyout HAL's service and quality of food has continued to decline.

That is why we switched to Regent & Oceania. Now where will we go ?

Signed,

Very disappointed :mad:

We have two past cruises with RSSC, and our first Oceania coming up in December. Are there any benefits to an O cruiser (first time or otherwise) if you have previously sailed with RSSC? (Have never sailed with Norwegian, but now also wonder about those with past NCL cruises.)

While the sky may not be falling, my experience with the "Carnivalization" of HAL and Seabourn did, indeed, have a significant impact on the product, quality, and the service. I think this is sad, but it is the almighty profit that drives these decisions. Looks like Silversea and Crystal are a couple of the only independent companies left. Oh well, pretty soon there will be one bank, airline, market, etc!

You are comparing apples and oranges..think about just the oranges..Just because it happened years ago with completely different companies you are saying it will happen again..then again maybe it wont.. I am thinking positive!!

Jancruz1

We have two past cruises with RSSC, and our first Oceania coming up in December. Are there any benefits to an O cruiser (first time or otherwise) if you have previously sailed with RSSC? (Have never sailed with Norwegian, but now also wonder about those with past NCL cruises.)

No, I don't believe so.

Are all you folks forgetting the doom and gloom that was predicted when Apollo bought Oceania? Never happened -- instead, we got Marina and Riviera, and Oceania bought the 3 R ships thee had been chartering, and all the ships have been kept up better than any in the industry, and the ships are sailing at 95% full! So much for those predictions...

Then, the same predictions when Apollo bought Regent -- and what happened? Massive investments in upgrading the ships (which they sorely needed), ships are sailing 95% full, most guests are happy.

Then, all the predictions that Prestige would merge Oceania and Regent, with the result that bot would suffer. Never happened.

All the predictions of what will happen with this merger will also fade in time -- the products will all be better, management will learn from each other (I understand FDR has already advised NCL), and all of us will be happy.

Mark my words -- this is a Good Thing.

Thanks Don -- I have never seen such a negative group of posts in my life. Hope these posters are not the same in their real lives. People are still saying that Oceania and Regent will merge........ talk about stubborn! If is happened 20 years from now someone would say "I told you so".

What you have said about Oceania after the merge also happened with Regent. They are both better companies since being purchased by PCH (under FDR's leadership).

Think I need to tune out for a while. Enjoying your truthful, positive posts.

You are comparing apples and oranges..think about just the oranges..Just because it happened years ago with completely different companies you are saying it will happen again..then again maybe it wont.. I am thinking positive!!

Jancruz1

I'm not sure it's accurate to say "years ago," as diminishment of the HAL product is an ongoing saga, easily monitored via the comments on the HAL board, and which have led us, among many others, to O.

And as far as merger experiences go, when was the last corporate merger of any kind - bank, airline, cable company, etc. - where the product, service, and satisfaction-per-dollar spent even remained the same, let alone improved? The boilerplate merger PR release happytalk by itself is a cause for concern - major case of déjà vu.

While I appreciate that most of us have been burned by business mergers that were announced as "improvements," in this case I feel pretty confident.

I trust Frank Del Rio. He's proven time and again to be the savviest cruise ship executive in the industry. In the unlikely event Oceania and Regent become shadows of their former selves, Frank and his team could always start another cruise line. But my money is on them making this work.

If NCL gets rids of FDR, then I would have some concerns...

I'm not sure it's accurate to say "years ago," as diminishment of the HAL product is an ongoing saga, easily monitored via the comments on the HAL board, and which have led us, among many others, to O.

And as far as merger experiences go, when was the last corporate merger of any kind - bank, airline, cable company, etc. - where the product, service, and satisfaction-per-dollar spent even remained the same, let alone improved? The boilerplate merger PR release happytalk by itself is a cause for concern - major case of déjà vu.

Did you ever think this time may be different??

I am signing off now as I have said my piece..personally I am going to keep positive thoughts and for now I will be sailing on Oceania..!!

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

What you have said about Oceania after the merge also happened with Regent. They are both better companies since being purchased by PCH (under FDR's leadership).

Sorry but there is a huge number of Regent/Radisson cruisers who disagree. There is actually a long winded post elsewhere just discussing the changes and most of the cruisers are not here because they no longer sail on Regent. The prices have gone up and the value is not there. I like Oceania's product but we are now opting to do other kinds of travel where at one time we planned Regent cruises almost exclusively.

While I appreciate that most of us have been burned by business mergers that were announced as "improvements," in this case I feel pretty confident.

I trust Frank Del Rio. He's proven time and again to be the savviest cruise ship executive in the industry. In the unlikely event Oceania and Regent become shadows of their former selves, Frank and his team could always start another cruise line. But my money is on them making this work.

If NCL gets rids of FDR, then I would have some concerns...

Great to hear from you! I still regret that we had to cancel the 35 day cruise that caused you to be so creative.