Why is the Oasis sailing so inexpensive?

Hi,

I'm looking at sailing with RCI in April 2015 and I'm comparing the sailings on various ships for a specific week.

I'm finding that the Oasis sailing is cheaper than everything else. Example:

For a balcony cabin: on Oasis $814, on Allure $1149

Is it just because everyone wants to sail on the newest ship? Or are there issues with Oasis?

Thanks!

Lynne

Hi,

I'm looking at sailing with RCI in April 2015 and I'm comparing the sailings on various ships for a specific week.

Which week are you looking at? I'm getting incorrect pricing on RCI's website as usual. :rolleyes: It's showing me pricing for a sailing in November 2014 when I click on an April sailing. Also, Allure has a transatlantic sailing next April... are you comparing a 7 day to that sailing maybe?

Hi Camlott,

We're looking at sailing the week of 4/18/15, give or take a day. It's the April school vacation week for New England states. Any thoughts? Lynne

On the RCI website I'm seeing pricing on Oasis 4/18/15 Eastern Caribbean Balcony categories from $1049 - $1649 pp pre tax and port charges.

Allure 4/12/15 Eastern Caribbean $1154 - $1656. Not too much different.

Hi Camlott,

We're looking at sailing the week of 4/18/15, give or take a day. It's the April school vacation week for New England states. Any thoughts? Lynne

As others have already answered, that's the week Allure is doing a TA.

Hi,

Is it just because everyone wants to sail on the newest ship? Or are there issues with Oasis?

Thanks!

Lynne

As others have already answered, that's the week Allure is doing a TA.

See the OP's original question. While your answer is correct, the OP is asking a pricing question regarding Oasis - specifically why balcony categories pricing on comparative weeks has Oasis significantly lower than Allure. For comparable weeks and itineraries that was shown not to be the case as the pricing is similar per the RCI website.

BTW, for the Allure TA you reference of the same week the total pricing, while still similar, is higher in some locations but proportionately is actually measurably lower as it is a 12 night v 7 night cruise.

See the OP's original question. While your answer is correct, the OP is asking a pricing question regarding Oasis - specifically why balcony categories pricing on comparative weeks has Oasis significantly lower than Allure. For comparable weeks and itineraries that was shown not to be the case as the pricing is similar per the RCI website.

BTW, for the Allure TA you reference of the same week the total pricing, while still similar, is higher in some locations but proportionately is actually measurably lower as it is a 12 night v 7 night cruise.

My apologies. I thought OP was looking for a "specific" week, and the week she was looking at wasn't an apples to apples comparison which would explain the difference in price.

Pricing for both seemed to be fairly reasonable especially for a school break.

Really is supply and demand

Ship is not newest anymore so thrill has gone and therefore the ability to charge the higher prices

Combine that with the need to have a LOT of people on Oasis to make the economics work. One of the reasons I keep saying mega-ships like this aren't the inevitable future.

Combine that with the need to have a LOT of people on Oasis to make the economics work. One of the reasons I keep saying mega-ships like this aren't the inevitable future.

But as the OP's original thought that the pricing was very low was shown to be incorrect, there apparently is not an issue with the economics of Oasis class ships. Oasis and Allure continue - as with most RCI ships - to sail full. RCI is also building a third Oasis and has a fourth planned. Clearly the economics must be working. While they may not be the inevitable future, they certainly remain part of RIC's future plans.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If they are not the future then what is? Right now all the planned new ships for Royal Caribbean are mega sized ships. The economics for the Oasis Class seems to be just fine as these ships always sail full and bring in more revenue than any other ship class. So many people said the Oasis Class will be the downfall of Royal Caribbean and no one would sail on them. Those people were wrong.

As others have pointed out, that week may not be a fair comparison with Allure. However, if RCL goes forward with it's plan fror Dynamic Dining on Oasis, I would expect to see additional prices drops. Many on CC have expressed their dis-satifaction with Dynamic Dining and I expect the same reaction from the rest of the population. The prices reflect market demand for this poorly planned concept. Dynamic Dining is RCL's approach to get more people to go to the Specialty Dining venues.

Edited by dz9yvr

On the RCI website I'm seeing pricing on Oasis 4/18/15 Eastern Caribbean Balcony categories from $1049 - $1649 pp pre tax and port charges.

Allure 4/12/15 Eastern Caribbean $1154 - $1656. Not too much different.

As others have pointed out, that week may not be a fair comparison with Allure. However, if RCL goes forward with it's plan fror Dynamic Dining on Oasis, I would expect to see additional prices drops. Many on CC have expressed their dis-satifaction with Dynamic Dining and I expect the same reaction from the rest of the population. The prices reflect market demand for this poorly planned concept. Dynamic Dining is RCL's approach to get more people to go to the Specialty Dining venues.

What prices?? See my prior post which indicates pricing between Oasis and Allure as being very similar and only one week apart. DD is supposed to be in effect on Oasis by then. If there was to be price drops as result of DD they would be in effect with this pricing.

IMO the reality of pricing for that time frame does not support your theory.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi,

Thanks!

Lynne

Lynne, I think that I have figured out the source of your confusion.

The fare is not eight hundred something for each passenger.

The BOGOHO pricing is being applied. The SECOND passenger would be paying EIGHT HUNDRED something while the FIRST passenger would be paying SIXTEEN HUNDRED something, for a total of $2700-ish including taxes & port fees.

Even comparing Oasis and Allure in the same week under normal routes will produce differences, because when one is on an Eastern route, the other one is on a Western route - different ports, different fees, different distances travelled, etc.

The stock price certainly does not reflect any pricing pressures. A lot of the frustration with the DD is the problem(s) with reservations on RCL's website. For instance, it took me some 2 months to button down my dining venues and times and this was with the help of a C&A rep. If you want the lowdown on the various problems go to the Quantum board and you will get your full. Nobody knows how DD will work and I'm going to give it a chance before I or anyone condemns the concept.

Ps. I still don't have my entertainment reserves, even though I get e-mails from RCL that the venues are open for reservations. I finally was able to determine of 90 days prior to sail--we'll see if that happens.

Even comparing Oasis and Allure in the same week under normal routes will produce differences, because when one is on an Eastern route, the other one is on a Western route - different ports, different fees, different distances travelled, etc.

Also, different shows. All other things being equal, I would pick Chicago over Cats.