Oasis-ants in the cabin

shipty2

280110_280x210.gif

My personal and uninformed and non-scientific opinion: Ants have to be brought onto a cruise ship by passengers. Passengers with food. And he is lucky that there was another cabin. I understood that this cruise was not only sold out, but oversubscribed.

Maybe they came in on your laptop MM. :D

Why could they not stay in the new room both nights? It was only a 2 night cruise.

The cruise was 7 days not 2. They were unable to stay in the second cabin because the passengers who originally booked it were joining the ship in St Thomas late.

My friend was told by one of the staff members that a previous occupant had complained that she found an ants nest in her luggage when she unpacked at home so they do know about it prior to the sail date.

They were offered a complimentary dinner at a specialty restaurant but turned that down as he was more concerned about the health of his children than a free meal.

We were on the Celebrity Constellation last fall on a Greece/Turkey cruise with friends in an Oceanview cabin. Same problem with ants, friend went down to guest services in middle of night. They offered her a cabin change in middle of night but she wasn't going to wake hubby. Cabin stewards in morning said they didn't see ants when they came by but she saw them again and scooped them into a baggie to show guest services. They were upgraded quickly to a midship deck 8 balcony, got free dinner at specialty restaurant, and offered a hefty OBC for their next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My friend did make a video of the ants to show guest services.

• 5 months later...
Did your friend say if there were any uncles in his cabin as well? The ship was oversold, not sure how there would have been another cabin to offer?

There was one cabin available for one night only because the original occupants missed embarkation and were flying to the next port to meet the ship.

It was a 7 night cruise not a 2 night so not sure where another poster got that idea.

Was just on a Car. cruise that stopped in Costa Rica.We did a banana plantation tour and was very surprised to see the no. of women picking up the bud of the plant and putting them in their purse. Also in Cozumel they had agents and dogs searching bags of cruisers getting off ship for food.They had a pile of fruit that they confiscated. Some people just don't get it !!!!!!

Not that I want ants in my room, but that last I checked, I am much bigger than they are, so I usually just step on them. As far as pesticide, ants generally follow a path. So a "dab" of poison on the path they are walking will one, kill a whole bunch, and also the ants will stop walking that direction when they see their dead buddies laying around.

So the story is, squirt a few drops of pesticide around the floor boards, and move on with your vacations. Bugs are everywhere!

Perhaps I'm missing something but what's the big deal about ants in a cabin? I live in Alabama and it's not unusual to discover ants in the house or crawling on outside walls. I once placed an unopened box of donuts in a cabinet. The next morning it was covered with ants.

Ant free for me 2 weeks ago on deck 9 of Oasis.

Without more information, you were right to be weary of the pesticides. While I'm sure the cruise line uses stuff that is safe to have around humans, not all countries do.

This is why I hate people that leave dishes on the floor anywhere they please on board. It's one thing to leave the morning room service tray outside (that will be picked up shortly), it's another to leave random plates in your hallway all evening/night.

Ants, or any insect infestation, is a big deal for the USPH. Insects don't wash their hands any better than most cruisers, so they will spread infectious diseases. Every ship has a Pest Control Officer onboard, and when something like this is reported, they will take the proper measures to mediate the infestation.

Yes, the ants are generally brought by the passengers from the "exotic" locales, in trinkets and souvenirs.

The soil used in Central Park has been sterilized, and the plants are certified as insect free before they are brought onboard.

Ant free for me 2 weeks ago on deck 9 of Oasis.

Without more information, you were right to be weary of the pesticides. While I'm sure the cruise line uses stuff that is safe to have around humans, not all countries do.

This is why I hate people that leave dishes on the floor anywhere they please on board. It's one thing to leave the morning room service tray outside (that will be picked up shortly), it's another to leave random plates in your hallway all evening/night.

Quite right, but any ship that calls in the US follows USPH sanitation regulations, and can only use EPA approved pesticides. As others have stated, for ants, a "topical" application rather than aerosol is best, so the hazards of breathing an ant insecticide is reduced. However, as with ant and carpenter ant pesticides used at home, keep rug rats and pets from touching the application sites until dry.

Perhaps I'm missing something but what's the big deal about ants in a cabin? I live in Alabama and it's not unusual to discover ants in the house or crawling on outside walls. I once placed an unopened box of donuts in a cabinet. The next morning it was covered with ants.

I think you asked and answered your own question.:rolleyes:

Ants on a ship are highly unusual. They normally don't go far from their home as the reason they are out is looking for food/water to bring back and use a trail to do so. Ants that came aboard in a delivery wouldn't know where to go. How many were there? Couldn't have been that many since they probably came aboard with a delivery or luggage. Even if they lived in Central Park, which is a possibility, they wouldn't go that far. More than likely from CP they'd invade a restaurant.

Edited by BND

The cruise was 7 days not 2. They were unable to stay in the second cabin because the passengers who originally booked it were joining the ship in St Thomas late.

My friend was told by one of the staff members that a previous occupant had complained that she found an ants nest in her luggage when she unpacked at home so they do know about it prior to the sail date.

They were offered a complimentary dinner at a specialty restaurant but turned that down as he was more concerned about the health of his children than a free meal.

If the cruiseline was trying to make the situation right - what would the childrens health concerns have to do with turning down a comp meal? Sounds like a bit of stubbornness.