Dinning with others

jenn6743

On the Conquest several years ago our family of four was seated with another family of four, also from the New Orleans area. There was room for a third party at the large table, but a few seats were unoccupied. We had a nice time chatting with the other couple and talking about local issues, etc. That evening, a card was slipped under our door indicating our table assignment had been changed, and the next evening we found ourselves at a booth for four. We wondered what we'd done to offend the other family and assumed they'd requested the change. For the rest of the cruise, whenever we'd pass them on the ship they'd kind of glare at us then look away. It was exceedingly awkward. Finally, on the last day of the cruise, I approached them and said I hoped we hadn't offended them. Well, it turned out there was simply a large part of 12 guests who needed the bigger table, hence both of our families being moved - and both of us thought the whole week that the other had complained and asked to be moved.

We were seated with three couples. Though they were very nice, they were all very young, one pregnant, and the other two couples had very young children. We have grandchildren.....so we didn't exactly have a lot in common. We sat with them for dinner, but let them go off together to enjoy the evening. We either go with a group now, or ask for a table for two. Our daughter and her husband, in their mid thirties were seated with a couple in their sixties once. Just the two couples. They said it was very uncomfortable each night during dinner, so it kind of put a damper on the cruise for them. The couple argued a lot and they had absolutely nothing in common.

I feel sorry for people who live in fear of strangers. Must be miserable.

I go on vacation to get away from people and relax. I have to do the small talk with strangers 40 hours per week. Laugh at not so funny jokes, seem interested in strangers tales....it is not something I'd find so enjoyable on a paid vacation. I like the company of my husband who I don't get to see for those 40 hours I'm listening to strangers. This is one reason I don't go on the ships where they have traditional dining.

That is exactly why we always choose Your Time Dining!

We always get a table for 2 or if we meet folks we like during the day we can arrange to also meet them for dinner.

We don't want to have our dinner mates chosen by lottery!

Well said, we agree.:)

They did: "We don't want to have our dinner mates chosen by lottery!" Sounds like they are afraid of who they might be paired up with to me. :D

I didn't read that they were in "fear" just that they like to select their own table mates for dinner, even if they are strangers. They select with whom they wold like to have dinner with rather than have the ship do it. We do the same thing and we are not in fear.:rolleyes:

Edited by Husky61

I didn't read that they were in "fear" just that they like to select their own table mates for dinner, even if they are strangers. They select with whom they wold like to have dinner with rather than have the ship do it. We do the same thing and we are not in fear.:rolleyes:

You are taking his comments way to seriously with your ":rolleyes:" icon. Laugh a little. It's actually fun! :D

We have generally been very fortunate with our table mates and really enjoy getting together every evening. The one time it was not good, we were seated with three French Canadian couples who either could not or would not try to speak a word of English - they also had what my wife referred to as "backwoods eating habits". We met with the Maitre d' right after dinner and got reassigned to a very compatible table.

We have found that a side effect of any time dining is that people who do not enjoy meeting a group of strangers do not take assigned dining - meaning that those who do actually enjoy meeting a new group - the result is that for every cruise over the past seven years we have enjoyed very compatible groups.

We've never had table mates we couldn't dine with! I think we're just pretty easy to get along with!

If we had folks who "made us feel bad about our food choices"..it would have been OUR problem in dealing with others....no one can "make you feel bad" unless YOU let them!!!

I would have ordered MORE of the offending food, as a "gift" for them!!!

Who said they live in fear of strangers?

I defiantly don't live in fear of strangers! My husband and I work very long hours with the public in stressful situation on a daily basics. The last thing I want to do is go on vacation to listen to a couple rip apart each other's family, and the have the nerve to tell me I'm going to get fat bc I didn't order rabbit. I got a full on health lecture about obesity and so on... I only weight 120 lbs... Some people are clueless and have no manners !!!!

Many many moons ago my DH and I went on our first Cruise, we were sat with no other than a person we knew many years earlier who had divorced his wife. .."my good friend"......my husband grabbed my hand under the table before i threw my fork at him! 《0-0》...... Well he had remarried, his wife was really nice.... It was hard at first but turned out to be just fine...

I've never had any of these problems.

A table for two = alone time with the love of my life.

A bigger table = meeting new people.

Very few people have ever been rude to me more than once.

My favorite has been Pacific Princess when our table of two was about 6 inches from a table for 8 if we wanted too we could sit quietly just as two or join in with the larger table, it was the best of both worlds.

Based on some of the comments on this thread, I must say that some of you need to consider that the other people at your table might not have wanted to be around you!

I have been traveling on ships since the days when you had no choice but to dine with strangers. In those days, there were no tables for two - most tables were long, banquet type tables. But, the people at these tables were only strangers for the first few minutes. Then, with the right attitude of everyone around the table - including mine - no one remained a stranger for long.

As with everything else in life, it is what YOU make of it. If you fight it or have a bad attitude about something, you will NEVER enjoy it. Because YOU won't let yourself!

I never shied away from meeting people. My long, wonderful life has been much enriched by the strangers who have come into it, some for a short time, and some for a lifetime. Each has brought a new perspective, a new thought, a new appreciation about something I never considered before. And I am forever grateful for their willingness to share their life experiences, because knowing them has made my life fuller.

It is all what you make of it.

Edited by swsfrail

Based on some of the comments on this thread, I must say that some of you need to consider that the other people at your table might not have wanted to be around you!

I have been traveling on ships since the days when you had no choice but to dine with strangers. In those days, there were no tables for two - most tables were long, banquet type tables. But, the people at these tables were only strangers for the first few minutes. Then, with the right attitude of everyone around the table - including mine - no one remained a stranger for long.

As with everything else in life, it is what YOU make of it. If you fight it or have a bad attitude about something, you will NEVER enjoy it. Because YOU won't let yourself!

I never shied away from meeting people. My long, wonderful life has been much enriched by the strangers who have come into it, some for a short time, and some for a lifetime. Each has brought a new perspective, a new thought, a new appreciation about something I never considered before. And I am forever grateful for their willingness to share their life experiences, because knowing them has made my life fuller.

It is all what you make of it.

Well put. Nowadays, the anytime dining gives people who do not want to meet strangers the option not to - which significantly improves the chances of your been seated with people who do enjoy meeting new people, meaning a more compatible set of table mates is likely.

I go on vacation to get away from people and relax. I have to do the small talk with strangers 40 hours per week. Laugh at not so funny jokes, seem interested in strangers tales....it is not something I'd find so enjoyable on a paid vacation. I like the company of my husband who I don't get to see for those 40 hours I'm listening to strangers. This is one reason I don't go on the ships where they have traditional dining.

Then a cruise might not be your best option. Consider Alaska (not a cruise, but a land trip), Iceland, or lots of other places where it's easy to get away from people.

Always go for set dining time andusually request a larger (8-12) table. Have only had one negative experience over the years. Believe it was the 2nd or 3rd cruise. Placed at a table for 4. Other couple were nice enough; however, they spoke no English and my Japanese is severely lacking. We asked the Maitre d' and were changed the next day.

Found out that the placement had been made based on my profile. I was born in Tokyo and the assumption was that I was Japanese. Guess that explained why there were chopsticks on the table, in addition to the "western" tableware!

Edited by Calgon1

WE havent had that bad of luck. our first cruise together in 2011 on the Liberty we were on our honeymoon and we were paired at a table of 8 with 3 other couples.

Every time after that we got paired with people our parents age. lol

But it wasnt a big deal everyone was nice and had no problems.