If I book airfare with RCCL, are they responsible to get me to the ship?

Vitamin_Sea

Im thinking of things that can go wrong in January.

That would be Snow.

So, we have JFK and LGA as options.

So, If I dont have insurance but book flights with RCCL- are they on the hook to get me to Tampa?

The advertising for Choice Air indicates the answer is yes.

The real answer in fine print is No.

The fine print uses words such as assist and work with but does not use the word guarantee

The advertising for Choice Air indicates the answer is yes.

The real answer in fine print is No.

The fine print uses words such as assist and work with but does not use the word guarantee

Ok..

So, would that mean I should book the air by myself and get insurance to cover cruise and airfare?

My TA said it was $44 each

Would seriously think about getting to Tampa at least one day ahead - hopefully you won't have any weather problems but always possible!!

i thought about that as well.

Weather could be bad a day before as well but it gives them an extra day to get me and EVERYONE else these the next day.

kinda sucks

Would seriously think about getting to Tampa at least one day ahead - hopefully you won't have any weather problems but always possible!!

I'm with this one. I'll roll the dice on the 3hr drive to Galveston but always at least a day in advance when flying in. Always.

yes thats the thing. I dont want to miss the home port!!

No one can guarantee they will get you to the home port (the ship will NOT wait for you no matter who you book with), but with insurance you can at least get to the first port. I'd be sure to go the day before AND take insurance.

No one can guarantee they will get you to the home port (the ship will NOT wait for you no matter who you book with), but with insurance you can at least get to the first port. I'd be sure to go the day before AND take insurance.

yea thats true. Noone can magically get the planes to fly in snow.

I got another insurance quote for $69 total

Ok..

So, would that mean I should book the air by myself and get insurance to cover cruise and airfare?

My TA said it was $44 each

If you chose RC insurance, they no longer cover independent air. (this changed on June 2) sorry I couldn't find the original post about this.

Check the policies before you buy it to make sure you are covered.

Going the day before is almost mandatory any more.....peace of mind and worth the cost of a hotel. :)

Check the price of Choice Air and then check the cost of booking the flights yourself along with the cost of insurance. For a domestic flight I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out cheaper to buy insurance and book the flight yourself.

Insurance is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Flying in a day early in January is definitely something I would consider.

If you chose RC insurance, they no longer cover independent air. (this changed on June 2) sorry I couldn't find the original post about this.

Check the policies before you buy it to make sure you are covered.

Going the day before is almost mandatory any more.....peace of mind and worth the cost of a hotel. :)

i hear ya there

Check the price of Choice Air and then check the cost of booking the flights yourself along with the cost of insurance. For a domestic flight I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out cheaper to buy insurance and book the flight yourself.

Insurance is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Flying in a day early in January is definitely something I would consider.

i checked both ways for flights. Its about the same or choice is like 25 more for same flights on delta.

insurance is cheaper getting yourself for sure

Insurance doesn't guarantee anything either.

First, you'll still have to pay to catch up to the ship and THEN file for reimbursement.

Second, due to security some cruise lines no longer allow you to board mid cruise.

Third, if you're only delayed a couple of hours and still miss the ship, all insurance policies have delay set points built into the policy. Some say you must have been delayed more than 4 hours, some 6, some even 12.

Insurance doesn't guarantee anything either.

First, you'll still have to pay to catch up to the ship and THEN file for reimbursement.

Second, due to security some cruise lines no longer allow you to board mid cruise.

Third, if you're only delayed a couple of hours and still miss the ship, all insurance policies have delay set points built into the policy. Some say you must have been delayed more than 4 hours, some 6, some even 12.

yes i agree.. theres lots to read up on with fancy wording to in these policies

this is the one i was considering

https://www.insuremytrip.com/quote-compare/grid.html?quoteId=AQKP8rzEB7Cg&SortBy=price-low&plans=NWE,RRES#vgrid

As far as air and bad weather, we've cruised during hurricane season, and when we hear something is coming, the airlines often want to get the flights out so that the don't have stranded passengers and offer changes for free.

I have moved our Saturday flight to Friday for a Sunday sailing and paid nothing (other than another night for the hotel). I always do independent air and insurance. Do check the delay issue, but if you go out a day ahead, you have more of a cushion in this matter.

I don't particularly like Choice Air as they have a much tighter window of arrival at the departure port, and can often put you on connecting flights that take much longer than what you can do on your own.

If you are flying a day ahead, I'd do independent and insurance.

These days with winter weather, airline overbooking, and over-filled airports, we always go at least two days ahead. That way, we can spend some time at the departure port and are relaxed and ready for the cruise early on boarding day.

Don't forget that insurance is for a heck of a lot more than just missing the ship at the first port. It also covers missed ship on the islands, and medical costs if you get sick or injured, or even if you need to get back home mid cruise. It covers cancellation in many cases. So much more.

Considered renting a car and just driving?

You could probably rent a car, take care of gas, hotel, and get to see some other stuff on the trip for about the same cost as flying no?

Not to mention you won't have to worry about luggage weight/size on the airline. Just throw it all in the back of the car and go.