Would you dress formally still IF...

LMaxwell

If there were NO photographers for formal evenings would you dress formally?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. If there were NO photographers for formal evenings would you dress formally?

• Less inclined; we dress for the opportunity to have nice pictures done
    • Same; we dress formal because we enjoy it, with or without photos
    • More inclined; it would feel more special without photographers interrupting our dinners

YES YES YES

I wonder if I asked some people to me wedding and requested that they dress formal if they would just choose to ignore that request, or show up wearing whatever they pleased.

Good ole fashioned manners says that if the host requests something you comply. But I guess manners don't count for much anymore.

Then start a thread about it. I'm asking about photo opportunities and formal night. You're trying to impose some other topic of discussion.

Actually many ships only require formal dress in the MDR on formal nights.

They provide alternative dining venues for those who do not wish to dress up.

The question had absolutely nothing to do with manners.

This thread originated on the Royal Caribbean board where there is no requirement to dress formal.

Some people DO enjoy dressing up formal; which I think is great that they are enjoying themselves, I was just curious how many people do it for the photo opportunity while dressed up or how that may play into their decision making.

We always used to dress formal for formal nights but not for photographs. We stopped with the gowns and tuxedo as we saw very few were still 'dressing'. Our last cruises, DH wore dark suit or even just a jacket and tie and I wore cocktail dresses.

Photographers are ignored by me. :eek:

• 3 months later...

Interesting what you wrote about concerning Formal Wear. Both my wife and I as well as our travel friends dressed formal for both dress nights.. It was really interesting on the Grandeur formal nights, so many dressed up it was so neat,. There were almost 80% formally dressed we all look so cool. At the Diamond interview all were dressed in suits or Tuxes and the ladies in long dresses or formal pants. It was so much fun. We all felt so elegant it was like a fantasy of the Titanic.. We are going again aboard the Liberty out of Bayonne. On May 5 2015 we set sail for 10 nights and we will dress formal again for sure.. Thanks for the chance to let you know how WE feel. But I realize that not all feel the same way. So if you don't want to dress formal for formal nights than you have the right to dress how you like. But please don't rain on my parade. We like to fantasize. Try it you'll like it, it's fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting what you wrote about concerning Formal Wear. Both my wife and I as well as our travel friends dressed formal for both dress nights.. It was really interesting on the Grandeur formal nights, so many dressed up it was so neat,. There were almost 80% formally dressed we all look so cool. At the Diamond interview all were dressed in suits or Tuxes and the ladies in long dresses or formal pants. It was so much fun. We all felt so elegant it was like a fantasy of the Titanic.. We are going again aboard the Liberty out of Bayonne. On May 5 2015 we set sail for 10 nights and we will dress formal again for sure.. Thanks for the chance to let you know how WE feel. But I realize that not all feel the same way. So if you don't want to dress formal for formal nights than you have the right to dress how you like. But please don't rain on my parade. We like to fantasize. Try it you'll like it, it's fun.

I have, I don't, and its not.

Dress on a cruise ship is such a difficult issue. It would be nice to say....here are the suggestions, and just do it -- as Nike would say. It just doesn't work that way.

People vacation to be away from their normal routines....the professional who has to wear a suit and tie or for a woman a suit or dress and heels everyday, they may not want the formal attire evening. No one knows, someone elses world, is my feeling. For others, formal attire may not be something that is 'in their closet'. I never guess nor judge.

It may be strange to see some people not dressed formally on 'formal night' -- it doesn't impact my enjoyment, at all. On smart casual night, I may be dressed up a little bit more, because ON THAT night, I felt like it.....that shouldn't affect someone else's evening.

Minimalistic rules, just as a requirement for shoes and shirts, no bathing suits are fine for the MDR on every night, as far as I am concerned. But after that....everyone needs to just enjoy.

We like to dress up. Ironically we usually sail NCL.

We ignore the photographers. We posed once with my dad. He passed away shortly thereafter so it's a treasured photo. We also bought the photo the night we got engaged. Other than that, we find the photographers to be annoying. They certainly don't dictate our fashion choices.

Dress on a cruise ship is such a difficult issue.

Minimalistic rules, just as a requirement for shoes and shirts, no bathing suits are fine for the MDR on every night, as far as I am concerned. But after that....everyone needs to just enjoy.

As long as they dress according to the cruise line's stated minimum requirements, I totally agree. I don't mean the suggestions, but rather the stated minimum requirements. If those requirements are not "minimalistic" enough for them, then they need to be willing to make alternative dinner plans for the evening.

People who wish to dress up for one special night should be able to do so with others who also want to. Why not reserve one dining room or one of the specialty restaurants for the one night to enjoy "dressing up" and those who prefer to "dress down" (the majority, it seems) can have the rest of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People who wish to dress up for one special night should be able to do so with others who also want to. Why not reserve one dining room or one of the specialty restaurants for the one night to enjoy "dressing up" and those who prefer to "dress down" (the majority, it seems) can have the rest of the ship.

The Dynamic Dining concept on Quantum has what you have described. This new dining program is being met with mixed reviews by cruisers, for various reasons.

I am sure as this dining program is rolled out, the hiccups it has experienced will be worked out. It will be rolled out on other ships by the end of this year (supposedly), and by the time DH and I cruise on a ship with it, it is my hope that it will all 'roll smoothly'.

The Dynamic Dining concept on Quantum has what you have described. This new dining program is being met with mixed reviews by cruisers, for various reasons.

I am sure as this dining program is rolled out, the hiccups it has experienced will be worked out. It will be rolled out on other ships by the end of this year (supposedly), and by the time DH and I cruise on a ship with it, it is my hope that it will all 'roll smoothly'.

I checked it out on RC website. I like the idea of a dress code (not necessarily "formal") dining room and the rest of the ship casual. On Carnival it might only have six tables, from the way most of their passengers complain about having to give up their blue jeans. LOL.

Great idea for special but the only problem I see is that you have to pay extra for the same food as served in the M D R. Why should I have to pay extra when the dress code for the main dining room is formal? As I said before if you don't want to dress up that's your prerogative and choice but I do think that when it says Dress Code dress Formal they shouldn't wear casual. When it says DressCasual it doesn't mean bathing suits and shorts and jeans or backwards baseball hats it means comfortable and casual wear. All my life I was in sales, ( over 50 years ) and I wore suits all the time so suits and tie and shirts so I do feel comfortable in formal wear. But again I don't want to force any one else to wear what I like. But formal wear should mean formal wear.

Personally I find it ridiculous to dress up for formal nights at a restaurant that on land would not warrant more than a nice shirt and slacks. Photographers or not.

These days I only dress up for clients, weddings and funerals. And I'm overdressed at every single one of these events.:(

But hey if people want to dress up on their cruise, go for it. It's your cruise, enjoy it however you like.:)

Great idea for special but the only problem I see is that you have to pay extra for the same food as served in the M D R. Why should I have to pay extra when the dress code for the main dining room is formal? As I said before if you don't want to dress up that's your prerogative and choice but I do think that when it says Dress Code dress Formal they shouldn't wear casual. When it says DressCasual it doesn't mean bathing suits and shorts and jeans or backwards baseball hats it means comfortable and casual wear. All my life I was in sales, ( over 50 years ) and I wore suits all the time so suits and tie and shirts so I do feel comfortable in formal wear. But again I don't want to force any one else to wear what I like. But formal wear should mean formal wear.

When I checked out the Quantum Dynamic Dining website the MDR with the Formal dress code was complementary. I agree you shouldn't have to pay extra just to dress properly for dinner. My point is that if you choose to get dressed up for dinner it is kind of ruined if you're surrounded by people in jeans & T shirts.

When I checked out the Quantum Dynamic Dining website the MDR with the Formal dress code was complementary. I agree you shouldn't have to pay extra just to dress properly for dinner. My point is that if you choose to get dressed up for dinner it is kind of ruined if you're surrounded by people in jeans & T shirts.

Yeh I guess I really feel that way too. I look at dressing up is kind o fun for us old guys. My wife an I are in our late 70s so we want to have as much fun as we can.

No, No, No -- if you choose to enjoy the formal dining scene on Quantum via DD, what other people are wearing for THEIR dinner experience in NO way ruins your experience. Unless of course you pick up some people in jeans and T-shirts and ask them to be in your formal photo.

Paulette. You made me laugh out loud. I am not trying to tell other people what to wear. However, several times I have been to the MDR on Formal Night and been the only one in a jacket & tie and it feels odd. If there is just one MDR where the Formal Night dress code is observed it would be nicer.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy