Would you dress formally still IF...

LMaxwell

If there were NO photographers for formal evenings would you dress formally?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. If there were NO photographers for formal evenings would you dress formally?

• Less inclined; we dress for the opportunity to have nice pictures done
    • Same; we dress formal because we enjoy it, with or without photos
    • More inclined; it would feel more special without photographers interrupting our dinners

We like to dress for the first night to get our photos. The second one is more country club casual. If no photos probably would not bother with the suit. Have not worn a tuxedo in two years

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

We do not dress for photographers or in fact anyone else but ourselves. We like to dress well and will continue to do so, we enjoy formal night.:D

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

we have our formal attire and do enjoy wearing it...so yes we would continue to dress and we wear it the entire night.

one exception years back on a HAL cruise.....bad sunburn on legs....so i wore my tux & formal accessories with white bermuda shorts....sitting at dinner and the show i looked like all others in their tux...only when i stood and walked that i got a few crazy looks.....:eek:

MDR staff all approved and i actually got many thumbs up from other gents as i toasted my drink and said do not be jealous, "I am so comfortable".....:D

If there were NO ships photographers / no professional portraits done on the ships would you still be inclined to dress for formal night?

Packing/dressing on/for a cruise has never been impacted by photogs, pax, or CC. Only the ship owners and their policy

Agree, the photographers have no impact on our dress decision. However, I am getting very tired of the formal night concept because the overall atmosphere (both food and service) doesn't really warrant formal wear in my opinion. At this point in time I would prefer casual/smart casual attire for dinner every night - but no hats, no tank tops on men, no short shorts, etc. We will, though, continue to follow the cruise lines recommendations for dress or eat in the WJ.

I'm with Ryano above. If you like to dress up, go for it. I go on a cruise to relax and dressing up is not relaxing or enjoyable to me. In the past, I have avoided the MDR on formal nights and eaten at the buffet. Typically, the 7 day Royal Caribbean cruises have two formal nights and I find this a little irritating. From now on, I will dress in slacks and still go to the MDR. I don't think I should have to avoid the MDR for 2 out of 7 nights because photographers want to clean up.

Now, there are other options. RCI could make the MDR exclusively formal one night out of the cruise. OR - They could section off the MDR so non-formal folks can eat there and the formal folks can enjoy each other's finery. OR - they could just lighten up. Formal and non-formal folks just eating together and not making a big thing out of it.

I love the line "I am on vacation, not display" i have seen in some of these threads .

We dress nicely in the dining room, but casually. We are don't do the picture thing, and we are not out to impress anyone, or pretend we are James Bond or Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe or whoever.

DW and I work hard and when we go on vacation we just like to unwind and relax and for us that doesn't include tuxedos and gowns and ties and jackets.

Again we would never wear bathing suits, wife beaters , dirty ripped clothes or the rest of the dreaded apparel that has the fashion police losing sleep over.

But we will be enjoying our cruise comfortably and casually, and hope everyone will do the same in whatever they chose to wear

We are don't do the picture thing, and we are not out to impress anyone, or pretend we are James Bond or Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe or whoever.

I dress properly for formal nights. I do not pretend to be anyone by me. You insult me and the many others who choose to follow formal nights.

DW and I work hard and when we go on vacation we just like to unwind and relax and for us that doesn't include tuxedos and gowns and ties and jackets.

Fine...nobody requires you to wear a tux-it is just that on formal nights, you shouldn't try to eat in the MDR.

I dress properly for formal nights. I do not pretend to be anyone by me. You insult me and the many others who choose to follow formal nights.

Fine...nobody requires you to wear a tux-it is just that on formal nights, you shouldn't try to eat in the MDR.

You are insulted by one post but tell others they shouldn't try to eat in the MDR. Sort of double standards I would think.

Anyone you see in the MDR was allowed to be there by the cruise staff, and therefore are dressed properly in the eyes of the people who make the decisions.

The poster didn't accuse you of anything. Maybe you need to get a thicker skin. Some people are into this "Bond Fantasy" atmosphere and have states so right on these boards. And they complain that those who don't particpate somehow ruin it for them.

Edited by Ocean Boy

On our first cruise, we bought the pictures taken in the MDR, taken on formal night. On the cruises after that, we didn't. And on a cruise on the Jewel, we hated the posed pictures. So, on our last cruise, we didn't even both to look for our photos. I'm just not at all impressed with the capabilities of RC photographers. It's like they don't even try to take a photo that looks better than what someone could take with the old Kodak Hawkeye Instamatic, using a fixed-focus lens and 126 film.

That said, yes I would still dress for formal night(s). I know a lot of people pack lightly, because of the checked-bag fees that airlines charge. I like getting dressed up, since I'm a stay-at-home parent and don't have much reason to wear a coat and tie, other than church on Sunday.

You are insulted by one post but tell others they shouldn't try to eat in the MDR. Sort of double standards I would think.

Anyone you see in the MDR was allowed to be there by the cruise staff, and therefore are dressed properly in the eyes of the people who make the decisions.

Hello! I haven't sen you in a while! How have you been?

Edited by AKman2495

The poster didn't accuse you of anything. Maybe you need to get a thicker skin. Some people are into this "Bond Fantasy" atmosphere and have states so right on these boards. And they complain that those who don't particpate somehow ruin it for them.

Sorry, but why is it when I dress formally, I must be doing it to show off, or to trying to impress someone or pre tent to be James Bond (although I understand there are those who do).

What can't I enjoy a formal night for what it is?

swedish weave says whatever the cruise line lets one get away with is fine.

That is the reality. But that does not mean the ones who dress up are somehow strange, old fashioned, not with it, locked in the stone age, etc. etc. etc. all of which I have seen on this board.

Sorry, but why is it when I dress formally, I must be doing it to show off, or to trying to impress someone or pre tent to be James Bond (although I understand there are those who do).

What can't I enjoy a formal night for what it is?

swedish weave says whatever the cruise line lets one get away with is fine.

That is the reality. But that does not mean the ones who dress up are somehow strange, old fashioned, not with it, locked in the stone age, etc. etc. etc. all of which I have seen on this board.

Touché. And not to show off either

It is just what you feel nice in

Too many think I dress to show off when it's just what I'm used to and comfortable in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's an option missing........I would dress formally if the dress code called for it, regardless of whether or not there's a photographer. The option in the poll is that I would dress formally regardless "because enjoy it", but I don't particularly enjoy it. However, I follow the stated dress code in the MDR or I don't go to the MDR -- I prefer casual clothes, but if I sign up for a cruise with formal dress code for some nights in the MDR, I'll abide by it.