Corking fee stamp at check-in?

dazee8

After going through check-in and going through security, I understand that wine corkage fees are due if you have to bring wine onboard.

When we have sailed with Princess they stamp the bottles showing that the corkage has been "paid" which allows you to take any stamped bottle to any dining area and not be charged. Does HAL also stamp bottles after paying the corkage fee?

Thanks.

Edited by dazee8

Do you pay the corkage fee as you board ?

I was going to take some wine for cabin use

Yes you do pay it as you board. Any wine above the one bottle allowed per person is charged corkage. Last time they put a sticker on the bottles.

After you enter the terminal and go through security, there is a table set up for those bringing on wine.

The first 2 bottles they do not put a sticker on them -- at least they didn't for people in Ft Lauderdale. But any extra bottles, they do put stickers on them. They will take you cabin number and name and charge the corkage fee to your shipboard account.

Once that is done, you proceed to the check-in area.

There was nothing like this when we boarded in Rome. We had 3 bottles in our carry on luggage and expected to be charged corkage on one of them but this did not happen and there was no table and nothing said about wine for about the first 4 ports.

There was nothing like this when we boarded in Rome. We had 3 bottles in our carry on luggage and expected to be charged corkage on one of them but this did not happen and there was no table and nothing said about wine for about the first 4 ports.

lucky you:D

We'll see if we are lucky in one week ;)

Yes you do pay it as you board. Any wine above the one bottle allowed per person is charged corkage. Last time they put a sticker on the bottles.

Thank you

So you get 1 bottle pp free

That will be fine with us as we do not drink much

Thank you

So you get 1 bottle pp free

That will be fine with us as we do not drink much

yes, one bottle per person is free as long as it is consumed in the cabin. If you take it to a public space (ie, MDR), then a corkage fee will be charged.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has thought of this, but would someone who has had "the sticker" placed on their bottles, please take a close-up picture of it, post it here, giving us dimensions, etc., so we can create our own and smuggle endless bottles of wine onboard?

Thank you.

This post was created with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

Smooth Sailing ! :D :D :D

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has thought of this, but would someone who has had "the sticker" placed on their bottles, please take a close-up picture of it, post it here, giving us dimensions, etc., so we can create our own and smuggle endless bottles of wine onboard?

Thank you.

This post was created with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

Smooth Sailing ! :D :D

Thank you. :D

I've been waiting months for someone to make that suggestion. :D :cool:

That and I wonder why I've not seen anyone yet ask if the sticker can be peeled off and applied to a bottle they may have 'snuck' aboard somehow.

I have a few more thoughts in mind but think I'll keep them to myself before I get accused of aiding and abetting. :)

It was a standard green, half inch dot sticker in FLL earlier in the year. We joked that we should have stopped at the Office Max on SE 17th Street before heading to the pier. If HAL is smart, they will have switched to printed stickers by the time the Caribbean season ramps up.

There is no way we would have tried to sneak our wine onboard. We had two cases, so it's not you just casually walk through, whistling a happy tune, with 24 bottles. Also, it's wrong. (I think the corkage fees are fair, and I'm more than satisfied paying $18 a bottle to drink what we want.)

Edited by POA1

It was a standard green, half inch dot sticker in FLL earlier in the year. We joked that we should have stopped at the Office Max on SE 17th Street before heading to the pier. If HAL is smart, they will have switched to printed stickers by the time the Caribbean season ramps up.

There is no way we would have tried to sneak our wine onboard. We had two cases, so it's not you just casually walk through, whistling a happy tune, with 24 bottles. Also, it's wrong. (I think the corkage fees are fair, and I'm more than satisfied paying $18 a bottle to drink what we want.)

Would that be lime green, forest green, or emerald green? LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

POA.... You did it again.

I'm sitting here like a fool, all alone, and LOL......... :D

I was behaving like a sane person until I reached "whistling a happy tune". :cool:

And then GER......... you kept me laughing. :)

Edited by sail7seas

And just which tune would that be? :D I'm still laughing! On our last cruise out of FLL we were with a couple who took their 2 "cabin bottles" to the table to be stamped and then rolled their carry on luggage stocked with wine aboard the ship. No corkage fees were paid! They were so proud of themselves! :eek:

Why not just buy the Thieving Smuggler Brand Mega-Set? With 38 colors, you'll be ready for anything.

My guess would be "apple" green.:)

POA, any idea what the import duties/taxes would be on a set like that? If they're too high, just put them in a little box and label them "candies" for me, okay? Customs usually doesn't bother inspecting stuff like that.;)

OVgirl: now why didn't I think of that, of course you're right, they must be apple green !!!

Sail7seas, happy to be able to put a smile on your face.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)