Are secret balconies really going away?

lah66

The waiting game is so difficult.:(

If you look on he deckplans for Deck 10 where there are already AQ Suites it is pretty obvious what will be happening. The entire Decks 11 & 12 balconies will be used by the suites. So, no more Secret balconies.:( While the last few cabins aft have been closed off during the Westbound TA and the people in those cabins relocated I do not believe that will affect those cabins for future sailings once construction on the suites is complete. Those cabins are closed due to construction noise, etc. It kind of stinks for the people on the TA, though. The work will still be in progress during their sailing.

I am disappointed as we are booked in 11329 in May and we booked this cabin very early not only for the combination ocean/Aquatheater/Boardwalk views off of our balcony, but also felt we would have the use of the Secret Balcony. I can understand why Royal is doing this, but it is a personal disappointment none the less. However, I am not too worried about losing our cabin at this point. I have not seen anything that would indicate otherwise. If I missed something along that line, please let me know!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

I'm not quite sure why people seem to be mad at RCI for doing this. For years, it seems, people have booked an Oceanview and managed to also have access to the secret balcony. They were getting something special but paying nothing for it. I guess RCI just decided to use them for revenue. Can you blame them????

I'm not quite sure why people seem to be mad at RCI for doing this. For years, it seems, people have booked an Oceanview and managed to also have access to the secret balcony. They were getting something special but paying nothing for it. I guess RCI just decided to use them for revenue. Can you blame them????

RCI designed the ship. Don't make it sound like we were taking advantage of the company by finding and utilizing the areas.

I think the OV cabins are a long walk (and probably also an elevator ride from those public balconies; there are closer open air public spaces to almost all OV and inside cabins.

Those public balconies are also a significant walk to pool, bar, hot tub, snacks, etc. That might be part of the reason those spaces are not heavily used. Often the spaces are used by mostly by those with nearby cabins.

I don't blame them and I'm not mad. Just disappointed, as we were looking forward to this "free perk" that others have enjoyed since the ship went into service. It kind of offset the long walk to the aft of the ship.

We do prefer to book aft balconies on other ships. Since the AQ Suites are out of reach for us financially, aft balconies are not available to us on this class of ship. We walked all the way back from our midship balcony to the Secret Balconies several times on our Allure cruise just to have some time to relax and enjoy our favorite view. This time we booked an aft B1 specifically to be closer to the Secret Balconies. Now it seems we will not have that option in May, unless we book an AQ Suite.

At this point I would change to a mid ship balcony, but since we got the BOGOHO1 sale prices the difference in price to change categories is too much. So, we will just suck it up, enjoy our Boardwalk view and the Aquatheater shows from our own balcony. I will consider he walk to be my exercise!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Yes. I don't like the idea of them adding passengers without adding public space.

So if they took away the pool and theater and added in cabins you would be OK with that.

RCI designed the ship. Don't make it sound like we were taking advantage of the company by finding and utilizing the areas.

I beg your pardon, but I did NOT say anything of the kind. People were taking advantage of something that was available. No problem with that. It was not promised when they booked their cabin, but it was something they had learned they could use. If RCI can generate extra income by utilizing this area, can you blame them??? Try not to be so sensitive. Not everything is about you. It was simply a statement and an opinion which is what these boards are for.

So if they took away the pool and theater and added in cabins you would be OK with that.

Seriously??? Apples and Oranges, my friend. If you really think that is the same thing, then you are not playing with a full deck. You are told and shown on the website as well as other publications that amenities such as pools and the theater will be part of your cruising experience. It says nothing about secret balconies.

I may be in the minority, but I'm honestly not concerned about losing access to the not-so-secret balcony. I'm not concerned that 11729 will disappear completely, eaten up by a new suite, or a new suite's balcony obstructing the view of Aquatheater and the ocean beyond. AQ is not happening for us anytime soon, we booked 11729 hoping for the next best thing in terms of view.

Seriously??? Apples and Oranges, my friend. If you really think that is the same thing, then you are not playing with a full deck. You are told and shown on the website as well as other publications that amenities such as pools and the theater will be part of your cruising experience. It says nothing about secret balconies.

What if they took away part of things that are promised? Like if they converted half of the boardwalk to cabins? Or half of central park? I know these are ridiculous examples, but the point is, they are taking away what was "publicly" available and in its place, adding more passengers. That's what I don't like about it.

Edited by time4u2go

I may be in the minority, but I'm honestly not concerned about losing access to the not-so-secret balcony. I'm not concerned that 11729 will disappear completely, eaten up by a new suite, or a new suite's balcony obstructing the view of Aquatheater and the ocean beyond. AQ is not happening for us anytime soon, we booked 11729 hoping for the next best thing in terms of view.

Again, look at the website deck plans on deck 10 and you will see that you are right not to be concerned about losing views of the Aquatheater, etc. The AQ Suites do not stick out and block anything. Nor do they take up the space of the 329 and 729 cabins on any deck that has AQ Suites. The people who have this concern have obviously not looked to see what the configuration is. Nothing should change in the footprint of Deck 11 & 12 other than walls being put up in the large open space that was the former Secret Balcony. I am disappointed to lose it, but I am looking forward to the other aspects of cabin 11329, directly across from you.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

One logistical question brought up by my DH - the Secret Balcony on Deck 12, starboard side has the access to the light controls for the Aqua Shows. We were sitting out there and watching the show and the guys on the lights were coming and going the whole time. Is this balcony also being converted? If so, what would they do with the lighting people?:confused:

What if they took away part of things that are promised? Like if they converted half of the boardwalk to cabins? Or half of central park? I know these are ridiculous examples, but the point is, they are taking away what was "publicly" available and in its place, adding more passengers. That's what I don't like about it.

That is a good point and I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, Princess took their Grand Class ships and added a whole DECK of new cabins without adding any more public space. That is why I like the Golden Princess vs some of the others as there is a greater public space/passenger ratio. Nothing new here.

I do think RCI could have made the changes clear earlier rather than notifying cabin changes and reduced public space 4 weeks before the sail date (and after all the final payments are due).

On the transantantics with so many sea days cabin choice is more important to some people than on a 7 day port-intensive.

I chose a Grand Suite fairly close to the current CL for the October transalantic and now find it will be a long hike to deck 17 if the planned changes to the CL location go ahead. It's fine for us, but could be a problem for somebody less mobile.

It's not that big a deal, but it would be fair to give passengers a heads up of known changes earlier on.

Edited by Chelsea1

If you look on he deckplans for Deck 10 where there are already AQ Suites it is pretty obvious what will be happening. The entire Decks 11 & 12 balconies will be used by the suites. So, no more Secret balconies.:( While the last few cabins aft have been closed off during the Westbound TA and the people in those cabins relocated I do not believe that will affect those cabins for future sailings once construction on the suites is complete. Those cabins are closed due to construction noise, etc. It kind of stinks for the people on the TA, though. The work will still be in progress during their sailing.

I am disappointed as we are booked in 11329 in May and we booked this cabin very early not only for the combination ocean/Aquatheater/Boardwalk views off of our balcony, but also felt we would have the use of the Secret Balcony. I can understand why Royal is doing this, but it is a personal disappointment none the less. However, I am not too worried about losing our cabin at this point. I have not seen anything that would indicate otherwise. If I missed something along that line, please let me know!

I looked at the deck plans and definitely see what you are referring to. Hopefully the plans are to scale! I hope you are right and the end cabins are closed on Oasis just to keep the cruisers away from the mess and noise! Drydock is only a month, right? We will just have to wait and see.

Lauri

That is too bad. :(

Could someone tell me when Oasis and Allure are going into dry dock? I am thinking about booking Allure for Jan 2016. Will it be after her dry dock?

Yes, I believe the Allure dry dock will be in 2015.

The Oasis dry dock will be from Sep 30, 2014 to Oct 14, 2014.

Edited by clarea

I beg your pardon, but I did NOT say anything of the kind. People were taking advantage of something that was available. No problem with that. It was not promised when they booked their cabin, but it was something they had learned they could use. If RCI can generate extra income by utilizing this area, can you blame them??? Try not to be so sensitive. Not everything is about you. It was simply a statement and an opinion which is what these boards are for.

Actually, when people book, at least most of us around here, we know what is available on a ship whether or not something is "promised" makes little difference. I expect the pool, Central Park, and the Boardwalk will all be present the next time I sail though none of that is promised. The solarium might be a great place to add some more cabins and increase the already staggering number of people aboard these two ships. The cabins would have great views and, after all, the solarium is not generating income right now.

As far as everything being about me, I have been on one of those balconies exactly once just to check it out. But I know that others will really miss them. As for me being sensitive, maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

Edited by Ocean Boy