Passport Renewal FYI

Janet524

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess ours were on the slow boat (pardon the pun): our kids passports took exactly 3 weeks door-to-door. This was a renewal, but every child passport is submitted as a new application. I was thinking they would be quicker given the prior passports, but I can't complain about 3 weeks.

The passport cards arrived 1 business day later. I'm not a huge proponent of the passport cards, but for an extra $15 per kids I thought they might come in useful. My 5YO DD was quite happy, running around the house saying "Credit card for me! Credit card for me!"... I may be in trouble in a few years. :eek:

We still haven't gotten the BCs back, but it's just been a few days since the passports came.

I just sent mine in for renewal. The US State Department Website says to allow 4-6 weeks from the date they receive the application.

Here's a story about when we first applied for our Passports: The processing center at the time was in New Orleans and our application material was at the center during Katrina! When we finally got a hold of someone, they literally told us there was good news and bad news: The good news was that the application materials were locked up and safe in a high rise building in downtown New Orleans. The bad news was the application materials were locked up in a high rise building in New Orleans-that couldn't be reached! Needless to say it took extra long to get our passports. Once they retrieved our materials, they had to be moved to another location to be processed

I think the '4 to 6 weeks' is the standard quote, but hasn't typically been true since the State Department geared up for the WHTI ~10 years ago. This thread is informational about how long its taking currently. Of course, if your passport is a difficult one to process... or your materials get stuck in a flooded city :eek: ... it can take much longer.

I just popped back to say that we got the kids BCs (and old passports) back Friday, a week after the new passports arrived. Four weeks after submission. Not a big deal for most, but I thought I'd add the data point since we (theoretically) needed 'original' BCs to register the kids for school. We had time as this is for starting in K next year, but fortunately the ISD accepted high quality copies and saved me a return trip.

We mailed our expired passports and paperwork in on 1/31. Both of ours had expired back in June. It says 4-6 weeks average turnover. We paid for overnight delivery, but not for expedited service as we don't sail until April, so we had time. Our new passports were in our hands on 2/14. Very quick turnover.

As long as we're talking passports,I have a question. My daughter is considering a Disney cruise with my 3 grandchildren ages 4,5,and 6.Cruise stops only at Grand Cayman and Disneys private island. Does she need passports for children? If not what I.D. would be required? If so are childs passports less than adults?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by diesel1973
mistake

• 5 months later...
As long as we're talking passports,I have a question. My daughter is considering a Disney cruise with my 3 grandchildren ages 4,5,and 6.Cruise stops only at Grand Cayman and Disneys private island. Does she need passports for children? If not what I.D. would be required? If so are childs passports less than adults?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Adult Passport Book $135 (Valid for 10 years)

Adult Passport Book - Renewal $110 (Valid for 10 years)

Minor Passport Book $105 (valid for 5 years)

As of now a new minor passport book was delivered under 21 days (non-expedited).

Edited by airboss

If the cruise starts and ends at the same American port, they technically do not need a passport. (This is a 'closed-loop cruise'.) Given their ages, the kids just need a (state-issued, not hospital-issued) birth certificate, and the parents can go with just a birth certificate and photo ID. This is true for this particular cruise because Grand Cayman does not require Americans to have passports. Some other cruises/itineraries may still require you to present a passport to them.

However, there is a caveat here -- if anything goes awry and the family needs to fly back home from Grand Cayman for some reason, they will not be able to (easily) without passports for everyone (including the grandchildren.)

This page from the government has more info: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Just an update on turn around time for passport renewals.

Sent DH's renewal application on June 24.. He received the new passport today, 6 weeks and 2 days. This is a busy time, so can't complain.

was this regular or expedited service?

Your passport is a legal document with definite beginning and expiration dates. I think the only reason they advise a 6-month window is in case you cannot return on the planned date because of illness, injury, trip elongation, etc.

It depends on the country. Brazil for example asks for a 6 month validity of your passport because you can stay 6 months after having entered with your visa.

was this regular or expedited service?

I sent it in regular mail and they returned it priority mail.

I applied for my passport July 17 and received it today..that's 3 weeks and 1 day! This was regular, not expedited.

Interesting. Ours went to Philadelphia. How about yours?

a little bit worried. My Fiance dragged her feet in applying for her passport renewal with amendment from her previously married name. I sent it in regular mail on Thursday but paid the extra expedited service fee. We cruise in 28 days.

I sent it in regular mail and they returned it priority mail.

I believe that the passport always comes back in priority mail. Ours have anyway, with no special service requested or paid for. The BC comes back separately, probably in regular mail a few days later.

a little bit worried. My Fiance dragged her feet in applying for her passport renewal with amendment from her previously married name. I sent it in regular mail on Thursday but paid the extra expedited service fee. We cruise in 28 days.

You're probably right to be a little worried. You can check status here: https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp ... though the page seems to be a few days behind. Given your location you will probably get the PP back before it shows as having been sent, but you would at least know that it's been received once they update the status.

If you have a ability to get another official copy of her BC easily, I'd suggest you think about that. That (plus proof of name change(s), and photo ID) should be enough to get her on the ship, and it doesn't hurt to have an extra copy. If it may be tough/slow to get a second copy of here BC, that might be a good reason to go ahead and do it now anyway.