Why the hate on Sunshine?!

kwazi07

The title says it all. I kind if want to try Sunshine (I like the modern decor), but I see many bad reviews. I understand it would be crowded (the last ship we went in added 151 saterooms in 200 5without expanding theater or buffet).

The title says it all. I kind if want to try Sunshine (I like the modern decor), but I see many bad reviews. I understand it would be crowded (the last ship we went in added 151 saterooms in 200 5without expanding theater or buffet).

No hate from us...have sailed the Sunshine twice..very much enjoyed it each time...an option from Carnival we will definitely take advantage again.

I dont know that we would hate cruising on the ship but Carnival has quite a few better options for us.

I like you was intrigued by the decor and the venues like Jiji's that you can't get on other ships. So we went ahead and booked. I don't let other people's reviews deter me from booking the vacation I want to book. I have also read reviews from those who loved the sunshine and I fully intend to go on my vacation and have a blast. Any day on a cruise ship is better than call lights going off constantly!!!

I'm headed out on the sunshine oct 12. Myself , dh, ds(15) and we are all super excited. I have read the reviews and am not going to let it get me in a mind set that we are doomed for a bad experience. I am happy and consider myself blessed to be going. I can have a good time anywhere. 20 more days!!! Happy cruising everyone :)

I'm headed out on the sunshine oct 12. Myself , dh, ds(15) and we are all super excited. I have read the reviews and am not going to let it get me in a mind set that we are doomed for a bad experience. I am happy and consider myself blessed to be going. I can have a good time anywhere. 20 more days!!! Happy cruising everyone :)

We are considering booking this same week. Just having to figure some stuff out first. What type cabin did you book?

No hate from us...have sailed the Sunshine twice..very much enjoyed it each time...an option from Carnival we will definitely take advantage again.

Thanks for the reassurance. Port Canaveral is so close to us. Also it seems that Sunshine is cheaper than Breeze.

I sailed Sunshine last New Year's and had a wonderful time. No complaints from me.

I understand it would be crowded

The largest complaint that I seem to find is part of the statement you made. The extra rooms/people with less space seems to be the unifying complaint.

I stand with lots of the other posters here... I would still love the chance to try the Sunshine out. Perhaps one time in the future.

Happy sailing!!!

We just got off of the Sunshine Saturday. We loved her. We did smell the famous sewer smell strongly on Deck 4 and a passing whiff in the Liquid Lounge. We weren't on Deck 1 or 2, but we didn't smell it anywhere else on any other deck. Our room was 8121, balcony cabin near the bridge. It was a great room--quiet. Jaime Dee was a great CD--she was out and about and always interacting with passengers. Food was great, crew was very friendly. Our cabin steward spoiled us rotten. We would definitely sail on her again. Seems like the crowds were only noticeable when everyone wanted to dine between shows or other times when lots of people wanted to do the same thing at the same time. The secret is to figure out the less popular times for the venues. We went 20-30 minutes early for the shows and never had a problem getting a good seat. Those who came in during the last few minutes either stood or had the nosebleed seats.

As for a personal preference, we still like the Fantasy class ships. We love the open air dining area behind the Lido buffet, and all the other places where you can curl up with a book or people watch. These ships can seem crowded, too, but there seemed to be more areas to just chill.

I guess for me, it just goes back to the Destiny days - one of the worst cruises I have ever been on. The ship was awful and was plagued with mechanical problems. Imagine eating dinner and have a piece of ceiling fall on to your table and into everyone's food. Yep. That happened to me on Destiny.

Fast forward to Sunshine and Carnival advertising it as a new ship. I'll be the first to say they did a nice job re-decorating the ship, but adding more rooms to an already crowded ship was a terrible move by CCL.

Like someone else said, I just think there are better options out there.

I've read the various reviews but certainly do not let them pre-determine my cruise satisfaction. Weighed out the differences in ships going to the destinations I wanted and for me, the Sunshine came out ahead. Will be on the Sunshine in FEB and looking forward to a wonderful time.

I would not say hate, was on the DESTINY pre SUNSHINE. Not a favorite cruise, just ok. Smell was terrible and over the years, there is no way it could be fixed?? Even after the makeover that Carnival spent megabucks

to revamp, the smell is still there! Why? Why take a chance on something that just doesn't sit right when there are so many ships in the Carnival fleet? Please remember, my dislike was based on how I perceived my personal experience. Not all cruisers may have a negative outlook. But a lot have.

We were on the Sunshine as well and had a great cruise. There were things that we liked more than other ships (Like Serenity) and things that we liked less (Like the theater). We really had a wonderful time and would go on her again if the timing/itinerary was right for us.

I think there are likely thousands of people who have had wonderful cruises on her and don't visit these boards. Go with an open mind and not be looking for things to be wrong.

I have been one of the ones critical of this ship. I went on it when it was the Destiny 3-31-2011. The crowds were thick everywhere and the lines just to get a hamburger were probably 30 minutes long. You were lucky to get a seat to watch any of the entertainment. It was terrible. Then CCL strips out public spaces and adds cabins. I'm sure it's very nice looking but so is a 150 year old house once you remodel the inside. The structure is still 150 years old just as the Sunshine still has the old engines and structure. I wish I could buy an old smelly house, paint it and sell it as brand new. That's pretty much what CCL did with the old worn out Destiny. Under the beauty it is still the old worn out Destiny.

I have been one of the ones critical of this ship. I went on it when it was the Destiny 3-31-2011. The crowds were thick everywhere and the lines just to get a hamburger were probably 30 minutes long. You were lucky to get a seat to watch any of the entertainment. It was terrible. Then CCL strips out public spaces and adds cabins. I'm sure it's very nice looking but so is a 150 year old house once you remodel the inside. The structure is still 150 years old just as the Sunshine still has the old engines and structure. I wish I could buy an old smelly house, paint it and sell it as brand new. That's pretty much what CCL did with the old worn out Destiny. Under the beauty it is still the old worn out Destiny.

That is one thing that really annoyed me. For a time, on the Carnival site, it said NEW!

Basically, this is what I have decided:

Sunshine is not my top choice (Breeze or Celebrity Constellation is), but I might decide to do it. Also, I have found a GREAT deal on Victory over Thanksgiving 2015. It is only $1700 for a balcony and an interior on a 4 nighter. I understand Victory and Destiny are sister ships, how is Victory? Is it really gaudy?

That is one thing that really annoyed me. For a time, on the Carnival site, it said NEW!

Basically, this is what I have decided:

Sunshine is not my top choice (Breeze or Celebrity Constellation is), but I might decide to do it. Also, I have found a GREAT deal on Victory over Thanksgiving 2015. It is only $1700 for a balcony and an interior on a 4 nighter. I understand Victory and Destiny are sister ships, how is Victory? Is it really gaudy?

You're a big spender for a fourteen year-old. :confused:

You're a big spender for a fourteen year-old. :confused:

Hehehehehehhee. I help my parents plan all our vacations...I am cautious about price, because if I wasn't, we wouldn't be going on cruises!!!

Edit: Our last cruise was planned almost entirely by me. My parents aren't the people who would keep up with these boards. They rely on me to do most of the research.

Edited by kwazi07

Just keep in mind, if this ship was so bad, it wouldn't be crowded. In addition, prices would be lower. Sunshine is not one of the cheaper Carnival ships.

It's a great ship for families. Perhaps not so much for an experienced cruiser who wants a better than average show lounge.

My wait time at Guy's was under 5 min. My wait time at the Mexican place for breakfast was under 1 min.

Every member of my family would choose the Sunshine over the Dream.

TIFWIW

Edited by fuddrules

Really? 30 minutes for a hamburger??:confused: I actually have been on the Sunshine. Guy's Burger Bar was never crowded. What was done to ship is nothing short of remarkable. Love your analogies. Did no know we had a 150 year old ship sailing.... good to know.

I really don't know what the uproar is about except that as with many others, I have witnessed those folks that will simply not be pleased. It is either their nature or the game the play while ruining a vacation.

This turned out to be one of the most enjoyable of my twenty cruises mostly on RCCL. Our ten top table was the most enjoyable ever. We looked forward to the evening meals because of the people we met and the food was good but secondary.

One of the big reasons I booked this cruise was because of the folklore controversy. The changing of the name. The threats of Posiden and Neptune, although not believable, certainly entertaining.

I dont remember any crowds

I dont remember my cabin being small....Its a cruise ship cabin!!!@

I dont remember thinking about whether its 'new' or 'old'..it was great looking.

I dont remember thinking about good or bad cruises as there is no such thing as a bad cruise....simply degrees of "goodness"

My experience with these sorts of complaints is best described as the people coming into the showroom 5 minutes before showtime and complaining that it was impossible to find good seats for their party of (you insert).

My only negative that I remember is the feeling of putting out the bags and knowing what the morning brings.

Biggest bummer......16n days was too short!!

By the way...the ship is MY destination when I cruise and the Sunshine filled the bill.

Edited by norcalal

I really don't know what the uproar is about except that as with many others, I have witnessed those folks that will simply not be pleased. It is either their nature or the game the play while ruining a vacation.

This turned out to be one of the most enjoyable of my twenty cruises mostly on RCCL. Our ten top table was the most enjoyable ever. We looked forward to the evening meals because of the people we met and the food was good but secondary.

One of the big reasons I booked this cruise was because of the folklore controversy. The changing of the name. The threats of Posiden and Neptune, although not believable, certainly entertaining.

I dont remember any crowds

I dont remember my cabin being small....Its a cruise ship cabin!!!@

I dont remember thinking about whether its 'new' or 'old'..it was great looking.

I dont remember thinking about good or bad cruises as there is no such thing as a bad cruise....simply degrees of "goodness"

My experience with these sorts of complaints is best described as the people coming into the showroom 5 minutes before showtime and complaining that it was impossible to find good seats for their party of (you insert).

My only negative that I remember is the feeling of putting out the bags and knowing what the morning brings.

Biggest bummer......16n days was too short!!

Thanks for adding this, some levity is a good thing.

My family sailed on her in January (myself, DW, DS 11, twin DD 2 1/2, MIL). We loved the ship and never really had a problem with overcrowding. At meals we ate in the Cuban Lounge and always found spots to sit back there.

The weather was the worst part of the trip, much cooler than we expected so the kids couldn't spend anytime in the water. Not Carnivals fault (wait, maybe I should have complained and demanded a free cruise!! ROFL)

We will cruise on her again, just at a different time.

Ignore the haters!