Beware...Stolen Phones in the Meditarrean

Goodtime Cruizin

The DW & I just returned from a wonderful Cruise in the Mediterrean. But we did have our phones stolen in Barcelona. I only post this to warn others as there is a rabid case of theft in BCN. We had read and heard about the pick pocket situations in the ports along the Mediterrean but never heard of this one.

Here goes...

While sitting at a nice outdoor cafe, we had our phones out taking advantage of the frre wifi that was offered. We both laid them down on the table and within a few seconds, we were approached by two guys, one on each side of us. They both threw down on the table some sort of documents, one in front of each of us and one of them yelled loudly, "Is this yours?" Stunned by their presence and confused with the documents, I told them know and asked them to leave. They did. As they reached down for their documents (which were strategically laid down on our phones) they grabbed the phones as well. It happended all within 5 seconds. We realized the phones were missing about 2 minutes after they left. They were slick operators. We immediately found access to a phone and cancelled our service carrier but it was a rough start to an otherwise wonderful vacation and cruise.

I only post this to remind all that this is a rabid situation in most ports around the Mediterrean and we've been told it's the oldest trick in the books used by gypsies although we have never read a post about this on Cruise Critics. Bottomline, do not under any circumstance leave anything of any value on top of your tables while dining and/or just having a beer/cocktail. You've been warned!

The DW & I just returned from a wonderful Cruise in the Mediterrean. But we did have our phones stolen in Barcelona. I only post this to warn others as there is a rabid case of theft in BCN. We had read and heard about the pick pocket situations in the ports along the Mediterrean but never heard of this one.

Here goes...

While sitting at a nice outdoor cafe, we had our phones out taking advantage of the frre wifi that was offered. We both laid them down on the table and within a few seconds, we were approached by two guys, one on each side of us. They both threw down on the table some sort of documents, one in front of each of us and one of them yelled loudly, "Is this yours?" Stunned by their presence and confused with the documents, I told them know and asked them to leave. They did. As they reached down for their documents (which were strategically laid down on our phones) they grabbed the phones as well. It happended all within 5 seconds. We realized the phones were missing about 2 minutes after they left. They were slick operators. We immediately found access to a phone and cancelled our service carrier but it was a rough start to an otherwise wonderful vacation and cruise.

I only post this to remind all that this is a rabid situation in most ports around the Mediterrean and we've been told it's the oldest trick in the books used by gypsies although we have never read a post about this on Cruise Critics. Bottomline, do not under any circumstance leave anything of any value on top of your tables while dining and/or just having a beer/cocktail. You've been warned!

Thanks - we are going there next summer and I just sent this to my teenage sons and DH. That is very common for us to use wifi and set it down for a few seconds.

Barcelona has one of the highest petty crime rates in all of Europe.

Pretty much every single distraction event is a cover for an attempted theft. Every trick in the book is in play in Barcelona.

Sorry this happened to you.

Petty crime? Stealing a $600 phone is hardly a petty crime!!

Been to Barcelona several times never seen or had an problems, but you are advised on trips what the latest scams are. Along with most busy cities, you have to be on your guard at all times - but this is a new one to me, whatever proves successful they will try to achieve their aim in stealing anything of value.

Thanks - we are going there next summer and I just sent this to my teenage sons and DH. That is very common for us to use wifi and set it down for a few seconds.

This is one of the oldest tricks in the book, I know everyone is on vacation to relax and have a good time but you have to be on your guard at all times as distraction thefts are common practice throughout Europe.

Do not let anyone invade your personal space and if someone does tell them loudly to go away.

Make that TWO phones, both being Galaxy 5s, as they were slick enough to get both of our phones. So yes, $600 each is about right. We did scurry around Sun AM before boarding to purchase a SONY camera just to be able to take pics etc. But the hassle of a stolen phone pretty much stinks. I also agree that this is not a petty crime.

I do want to make sure that everyone knows that the Cruise was absolutely wonderful as were the excursions at each port and the Liberty of the Seas is a beauty of a ship. But for the stolen phones, we had a wonderful, once in a lifetime trip. Just understand and be very aware, be vigilant as gypsies rule these ports.

This is one of the oldest tricks in the book, I know everyone is on vacation to relax and have a good time but you have to be on your guard at all times as distraction thefts are common practice throughout Europe.

Do not let anyone invade your personal space and if someone does tell them loudly to go away.

Every case will be different of course, but in our case this was impossible. They approached our table and were gone with the phones in 5 seconds, maybe even less. Bottomline, do NOT set anything of any value on your table for any reason. These guys work in teams and looking back, I'm sure the whole area (umbrella tables) was being watched closely by others.

Till you report it, to the people taking the report its petty. Cell phone manufacturers and laptops as well have the technology to report their locations when ever they connect to the internet and 99% of the crooks wouldn't know how or to prevent that. But it would probably cost more to investigate than to just buy a new one. So unless you have sensitive government information on your device nobody is coming after you. About the only way a cell phone crook gets caught is if he does his trick in front of a cop, or he walks by a cop and 30 cell phones fall out of his coat.

Edited by BillOh

Every case will be different of course, but in our case this was impossible. They approached our table and were gone with the phones in 5 seconds, maybe even less. Bottomline, do NOT set anything of any value on your table for any reason. These guys work in teams and looking back, I'm sure the whole area (umbrella tables) was being watched closely by others.

Your probably right. It might help if Barcelona authorities would do stings in those areas that are heavily hit. Heck I have one or two old dead cell phones it might be fun to put superglue all over them, after pretending to use them and set them down. Just for amusement.

Your probably right. It might help if Barcelona authorities would do stings in those areas that are heavily hit. Heck I have one or two old dead cell phones it might be fun to put superglue all over them, after pretending to use them and set them down. Just for amusement.

^^^^^^^ this all day long. However, would probably advise against it. If they were willing to steal your phone in front of you, they are willing to crack you upside the head with that phone no glued to their head. Still would be funny to see......Not the head cracking part!

^^^^^^^ this all day long. However, would probably advise against it. If they were willing to steal your phone in front of you, they are willing to crack you upside the head with that phone no glued to their head. Still would be funny to see......Not the head cracking part!

I doubt it. Petty theft (and yes, while $600 is a lot of money that is still considered petty--it's not a car or a home break in with lots gone after all) is common places in Barcelona but violent crime is almost non existent there. Willingness to take an object does not equal willingness to cause bodily harm.

Till you report it, to the people taking the report its petty. Cell phone manufacturers and laptops as well have the technology to report their locations when ever they connect to the internet and 99% of the crooks wouldn't know how or to prevent that. But it would probably cost more to investigate than to just buy a new one. So unless you have sensitive government information on your device nobody is coming after you. About the only way a cell phone crook gets caught is if he does his trick in front of a cop, or he walks by a cop and 30 cell phones fall out of his coat.

Being a 9-1-1 operator, I am one of the people you would be reporting it too. In a case like OPs , There is not a lot authorities can do . They can make a report, basically for the insurance company/service provider etc to get a replacement.

Unless you know the responsible party , my department gives you a report and file number over the phone.

Not a day goes by someone does call and say their cell phone , laptop, Ipad , whatever was stolen and they tracked it to such and such address .

An officer cannot just walk up to a house, knock on the door and say "Ypu're under arrest, give back the phone" . The resident of the house doesn't even have to open the door or answer a question..

A $600 phone may be worth it's weight in gold to the owner. But its hardly the Brink's Heist.

I doubt it. Petty theft (and yes, while $600 is a lot of money that is still considered petty--it's not a car or a home break in with lots gone after all) is common places in Barcelona but violent crime is almost non existent there. Willingness to take an object does not equal willingness to cause bodily harm.

With all due respect, yes it very much can and does happen. Maybe not in all cases and maybe in just a few with the cases of theft, robbery or even strong armed robbery. How do I know this?

Sources: I'm a police officer and see it daily. Yes, daily. Of course I know not a lick about violent crimes in foreign countries, nor do I know a lot about crimes, petty or not in other countries. But crimes here, where I work and throughout the U.S. I do know about.

If someone wants something bad enough they will cause harm to get it. If they are trying to take something and you cause then embarrassment in front of their gang, posse or whatever you want to call them, they will retaliate.

My point being, yes I would love to do the posters prank. Would it be funny? Yes. Would it be worth taking the chance of getting into an altercation over in a foriegn country? No. You never know where someone's head is, especially if they are willing to blatantly walk up to you and steal. Be smart, not naive.

And you are correct. Stealing a phone isn't a petty crime, it would be construed as a felony in most states here in the U.S. as most phones these days are worth more than $500. In a foreign country I have no clue what they consider petty or not

To the people taking exception to my use of the term "petty crime" because the phones are valued at $600 each...

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Petty+crime

It's a legal term, rather than an attack on how much your value your phone.

In your state this would be a felony. Which would make it higher then a petty theft / misdemeanor. From $100-300 is a petty theft. Anything higher would start at three lowest level felony

Being a 9-1-1 operator, I am one of the people you would be reporting it too. In a case like OPs , There is not a lot authorities can do . They can make a report, basically for the insurance company/service provider etc to get a replacement.

Unless you know the responsible party , my department gives you a report and file number over the phone.

Not a day goes by someone does call and say their cell phone , laptop, Ipad , whatever was stolen and they tracked it to such and such address .

An officer cannot just walk up to a house, knock on the door and say "Ypu're under arrest, give back the phone" . The resident of the house doesn't even have to open the door or answer a question..

A $600 phone may be worth it's weight in gold to the owner. But its hardly the Brink's Heist.

Just wanted to say thank you for what you do. It isn't easy being a telecommunicator and the thanks for what you do often is not there!

With all due respect, yes it very much can and does happen. Maybe not in all cases and maybe in just a few with the cases of theft, robbery or even strong armed robbery. How do I know this?

Sources: I'm a police officer and see it daily. Yes, daily. Of course I know not a lick about violent crimes in foreign countries, nor do I know a lot about crimes, petty or not in other countries. But crimes here, where I work and throughout the U.S. I do know about.

If someone wants something bad enough they will cause harm to get it. If they are trying to take something and you cause then embarrassment in front of their gang, posse or whatever you want to call them, they will retaliate.

My point being, yes I would love to do the posters prank. Would it be funny? Yes. Would it be worth taking the chance of getting into an altercation over in a foriegn country? No. You never know where someone's head is, especially if they are willing to blatantly walk up to you and steal. Be smart, not naive.

And you are correct. Stealing a phone isn't a petty crime, it would be construed as a felony in most states here in the U.S. as most phones these days are worth more than $500. In a foreign country I have no clue what they consider petty or not

With respect: I don't deny that it is possible. It certainly is.

Your statement: " If they were willing to steal your phone in front of you, they are willing to crack you upside the head" made it sound like it was likely, which I still believe is very much not the case in Barcelona (it is much more likely to be the case in many US cities where violent crime is considerably higher).

Pickpocket type crimes are widespread in Barcelona and should be guarded against and taken seriously but equating that to violence and encouraging people to fear for their physical safety i a culture in which that is rare, because you are coming from a culture in which it is common, does a disservice to the tourists you frighten and to the people of Barcelona (IMO).

Now, I wouldn't pull the super glue trick for many reasons, mostly that it would be too easy to accidentally damage the table, or end up on the waiter, or yourself, etc But that is yet another detour to take the thread on ;)

In your state this would be a felony. Which would make it higher then a petty theft / misdemeanor. From $100-300 is a petty theft. Anything higher would start at three lowest level felony

So, as a law officer, if my phone gets stolen... are you going to immediately go into action typical to the action you would take in an obvious felony crime?

I guess that's the real line of distinction. Typical reactions by law enforcement on felony vs. misdemeanor crimes are quite different.