Beware...Stolen Phones in the Meditarrean

Goodtime Cruizin

So, as a law officer, if my phone gets stolen... are you going to immediately go into action typical to the action you would take in an obvious felony crime?

I guess that's the real line of distinction. Typical reactions by law enforcement on felony vs. misdemeanor crimes are quite different.

This is a loaded question, but let me answer it to the best of my ability:

1. Did I witness the theft take place? As in, did it happen before my very eyes? If so, you bet I will go into action. At that is me not even knowing the worth of your phone. Theft is theft.

2. Did you come in and report to me your phone was stolen and you have no clue when or where it happened and you also can't track the phone? Now we have a different story. Not much I could do. I can take the report for you for insurance purposes. In this instance, yes the felony crime you are reporting is almost 100% going to go without anyone ever getting caught.

3. Do you know where it happened or who did it or can you track the phone? If you know where, I can check surveillance video and may be able to recognize the thief as a local. If you know will I will interview said person and try my best to get it out of them and have them sent up on charges. Is the phone being tracked to a certain location? I can and will go knock on the door. I can and will even get a search warrant. In my state that can be done. As long as I can show the judge there is reasonable suspicion that phone is in that residence, a judge will sign off on it.

With that being said, I would do all of the above for a person? Why, because whether the law determines the crime to be petty/misdemeanor or a low classbfelony or a high class felony, that stolen phone is a traumatizing ordeal for the victim to go through and they should be treated with respect. I don't care the level of the law, that only says what I can charge them with, not the level I can investigate at. Now, if you come in at the same time someone comes in to report a aggravated battery, criminal sexual assault (you get the idea) they will come before your stolen phone. That does not mean I think any less of your crime.

And when I posted about your laws I was not intending to berate you. To be 100% honest, if I found the subject who store your $600 phone (and I am being hypothetical here), I would charge them with the felony and they would most likely will only be convicted of the petty theft. That part is out of my hands.

Do I know officers that wouldn't do half of the stuff myself and others I know would for the above circumstance? Yes and to me that is pathetic

Likewise, I wasn't berating your skills in law enforcement. I respect and appreciate it. It was meant more realistically, that loaded. My comment is that phones disappearing are fairly low-level importance in the grand scheme of things. No matter what they cost.

I can think of 2 or 3 dozen crimes that I'd easily shove ahead of phone theft. That is where my "petty crime" label comes from. If someone beat you up or stabbed you while stealing your phone... no. Stealing a phone, while awful for the victim, is less pressing than countless other horrible things that idiot human beings do to each other.

I especially appreciate that you are the type of person that would go further.

With the ever growing issue of theft identity, the theft of a cell phone & it's value is more costly that the device itself. Stealing a phone and/or laptop imo should hold more weight in terms of punishment when found guilty. That's for another debate I guess. As would be the types of crime and how to handle them from the States to the Mediterrean.

Just don't leave anything you value on a flat surface while touring the Med.

The DW & I just returned from a wonderful Cruise in the Mediterrean. But we did have our phones stolen in Barcelona. I only post this to warn others as there is a rabid case of theft in BCN. We had read and heard about the pick pocket situations in the ports along the Mediterrean but never heard of this one.

Here goes...

While sitting at a nice outdoor cafe, we had our phones out taking advantage of the frre wifi that was offered. We both laid them down on the table and within a few seconds, we were approached by two guys, one on each side of us. They both threw down on the table some sort of documents, one in front of each of us and one of them yelled loudly, "Is this yours?" Stunned by their presence and confused with the documents, I told them know and asked them to leave. They did. As they reached down for their documents (which were strategically laid down on our phones) they grabbed the phones as well. It happended all within 5 seconds. We realized the phones were missing about 2 minutes after they left. They were slick operators. We immediately found access to a phone and cancelled our service carrier but it was a rough start to an otherwise wonderful vacation and cruise.

I only post this to remind all that this is a rabid situation in most ports around the Mediterrean and we've been told it's the oldest trick in the books used by gypsies although we have never read a post about this on Cruise Critics. Bottomline, do not under any circumstance leave anything of any value on top of your tables while dining and/or just having a beer/cocktail. You've been warned!

Thanks for the warning. It sounds like nothing has improved re: theft in Spain since I was last there in 1991. Of course, it is always a gypsy and never a Spaniard who thieves :rolleyes:

We never do leave our phones sitting on a table here in America either, due to rampant theft

It is always good to be forewarned. We will be in Barcelona next fall.

Never had a problem, but they try, LOL, to distract you, just have to remember you are not in your local area and you do not know what to watch out for. Thank the OP for the information.

PS pickpocketing in Barcelona is not a crime, I guess even what the OP had would not be considered a crime. It is only consider a crime if they touch you, or I guess mug you.

Crime of the type mentioned not only affects the tourist but locals as well.

Just wanted to say thank you for what you do. It isn't easy being a telecommunicator and the thanks for what you do often is not there!

Thank you :) very much

And certainly a big Thank You to you too. Emergency Service of all types, as well as military, cannot be thanked enough . :)

With the ever growing issue of theft identity, the theft of a cell phone & it's value is more costly that the device itself. Stealing a phone and/or laptop imo should hold more weight in terms of punishment when found guilty. That's for another debate I guess. As would be the types of crime and how to handle them from the States to the Mediterrean.

Just don't leave anything you value on a flat surface while touring the Med.

Like Ocean waves said , I don't know the motives of International thieves , but here a lot of that stuff is stolen so it can be sold to support the thief's drug habit. Even if he sells it on the street for half or a quarter of what it's worth. the buyer gets a high end piece of electronics for a song , and the seller gets enough for the habit.

Not sure where you are but powdered baby formula is another hot commodity. Around here . They are locked up, just like jewelry and electronics , and you have to get the salesperson to get it for you .

We don't worry about those things. We carry all docs in a fanny pack under our shirts. My wife is Italian and knows all the tricks. Never let kids gather round you close. In Rome its ok to kick them and yell Polizia. We had a guy at the airport step between us and was looking in her purse which was under her arm. I had on hiking boots and ste[pped on the top of his foot, all 230 lb and said "Ritonare!" and he did. We carry a limited time throwaway phone for emergencies. They have a lock on them also.

Due to Fowl language our rooster won't sleep in the henhouse anymore.

Edited by WupperAV

To the OP: I am so very sorry that your phones were taken. Prior to my first trip to Barcelona,

I read numerous threads re pickpockets in Barcelona and Rome. I believe the majority of them were in the Ports Of Call boards. I took every precaution..PAC Safe handbag, carabiners, safety pins on pockets and under clothing wallets. There were multiple warnings not to leave your purse on the back of a chair, leave cell phones out, not to wander streets with a Rick Steve's guide book in your hands, etc.

I also viewed numerous videos on YouTube re the various methods of distracting unsuspecting tourists to steal cash, phones, etc.

Your situation was one that I read about many times. So sorry you didn't read about it before your trip.

I urge everyone considering a trip to research the methods these thieves use to part you with your cash or other valuables before you travel.

This is coming from a New Yorker who can handle herself quite well in the city.

Always, always, always stay alert, be aware of your surroundings, make eye contact, walk with a purpose, don't wear flashy jewelry and I am sure you will be fine.

I loved all our ports of call as I didn't allow myself to become a victim.

Happy Sails!

OMG - Does it matter ???????????????????

You are right, it doesn't matter. But to someone who has had something stolen it may. It doesn't matter if it is petty or not. A flip phone that is worth $50 isnt any less important them someone's iPhone that may be worth $600. Theft is theft.

I would bet my next cruise though, if it happened to you it would surely matter. It's unfortunate in this day and age that the things that matter to people usually only kick in when it is happening to them. Who knows, maybe someone who lives in Florida that is reading this thread, who was given wrong information learned something from what I posted.

Hope this message finds you well! God bless. :)

The problem with tech devices is at least three fold. The devices have value also are easy to sell black market. But the biggest problem as I see it is that the darn things distract our attention from our surroundings. I understand that this might not apply to the original post but how many times have you seen people who are absolutely oblivious to what's going on around them when using tech devices? Criminals will use this to their advantage. Keep your tech devices hidden and your head on a swivel when in unfamiliar surroundings and always use caution when dealing with unknown contacts.

The problem with tech devices is at least three fold. The devices have value also are easy to sell black market. But the biggest problem as I see it is that the darn things distract our attention from our surroundings. I understand that this might not apply to the original post but how many times have you seen people who are absolutely oblivious to what's going on around them when using tech devices? Criminals will use this to their advantage. Keep your tech devices hidden and your head on a swivel when in unfamiliar surroundings and always use caution when dealing with unknown contacts.

Amen! Keep your eyes on your surroundings.

Edited by celebrity

The ability to insta-brick your phone if it were stolen is the best possible thing that will ever happen in the fight against phone theft.

When something is useless to steal, it is very unlikely to be stolen.

Simple as that. You make them easy to brick and it's done.

Something that we found useful when we took a med cruise recently (traveled with one other person) is only one of us was distracted at a time. Whether it be reading a map, reading a guide book, or using a phone, that way the other person was on the alert for things like this. It's super easy to get overwhelmed and disoriented by someone who moves fast on you with something unexpected when you are thinking about something else. So, (and this did happen), when I was looking at the map and trying to get oriented and some random person in rome came in asking me questions and invading my space, the other person blocked them out and kept us moving.

It's a good idea to encrypt your phone too. A password provides little protection if they have the phone. Also make sure you know how to remotely wipe and lock your phone. If it gets stolen wipe it immediately.

Can you please elaborate? If heaven forbid it does happen to me, I would have no idea how to remotely wipe and block it.

Thanks

Can you please elaborate? If heaven forbid it does happen to me, I would have no idea how to remotely wipe and block it.

Thanks

It depends on what kind of phone you have and what version of the operating system you are running. There are apps out there that can do this too. "Look out mobile" is one that I know for sure works. It is in Android, not sure about iPhone. Android also has a built in option. This must be done before the phone is lost.

You can however, install apps to your phone if it becomes lost, to wipe, locate and lock as well (at least on android)

In Paris today a scammer tried the old "you took a picture of me -- let me see the camera so I can erase the picture" scam on my friend. We all surrounded the attempted thief and when he looked up and saw the smallest of us was over 6' tall, he flat out ran like his shoes were on fire.

We had a good laugh and kept on going. It pays to know the scams. Last thing the scammers want is attention brought on them.

Happened to a friend on a train in Italy. Happened to another couple in Vienna. (Similar tactics).

When traveling I never have my phone in my pocket (it has a distinctive outline in back pockets). I also advise my students not to have it out in busy places as people do just grab and run.

In restaurants my purse is on my lap. Friends had a dslr stolen from their bag that they had on the floor under the table, thinking that was safe.

We scream money when we travel, so it's always good to be extra vigilant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A pick pocket expert on Cunard told us that Barcelona is the worst. Phones are sold for a lot of money. The police in Barcelona want the registrations numbers from the phone you report missing. If you do not have that number, the police do report the crime. So, in reality, Barcelona's crime rate is much higher. Just be careful.