Farewell to the Martini Bar

jelayne

Recently on an Royal Caribbean cruise, we purchased our martini in the martini lounge and took to another quiet lounge where we could enjoy a conversation. Not what I wanted to do, but on this sailing, we adjusted. The Martini bar and martini's are one of many things we enjoy about sailing, having martini's sometimes prior to dinner and sometimes afterwards.

Loud music in an enclosed venue is fine, but last time I looked, Martini bar was an open area.

For some, it may be fine, but we go to martini bar with our friends (sailing with and met on ship) most of the time and when there are 6-8 of us, loud music, IMHO, is a deterrent to group conversation no matter age/hearing ability.

Edited by shipshape sam

Just to keep the record straight, I did in a couple of posts....because the music was at that very annoying level where you could hear every few notes. I'd be fine with background level up to about 85db (I'd like to hear for a few more years). Most complaints here are for noise levels that far exceed 85db.

Just for reference, 85db is the industry standard calibration level for movies around the world.

Thanks for setting the record straight that it can be too low, I just responded to the poster who incorrectly stated that I said it was said on here, which I did not.

BTW, the worst thing in the world is when the music is at that level where you know there is music, but you can't even hear what song is playing...hate it.

Have to disagree, I think those that think it is too loud, think 85db is ear splitting.

I believe if the music is turned to a level that some seem to want, it will just turn into another "quiet" place where folks will come and sit for hours sipping one drink and it will drain all the fun/excitement and revenue out of the venue....in other words it will drain the life out of the bar and it will end up just like every other bar on the ships, nothing different, nothing new and exciting.

Were you on ever on board Celebrity before the 'loud music' syndrome? It was not at all like the atmosphere you are suggesting. On S Class even the Ensemble Lounge, which is a more sedate venue than the Martini Bar has more life than what you are imagining the Martini Bar actually was.

Can you share if you were you ever there?

Were you on ever on board Celebrity before the 'loud music' syndrome? It was not at all like the atmosphere you are suggesting. On S Class even the Ensemble Lounge, which is a more sedate venue than the Martini Bar has more life than what you are imagining the Martini Bar actually was.

Can you share if you were you ever there?

Oh, for goodness sake! Yes, been cruising with Celebrity since 2001! I've been on Century Class Ships, The M-Class ships and S-Class ships. Why can't someone have a different opinion than you? As you can see others also feel that the Martini Bar is a more hip/exciting venue then the others and don't want to lose that vibe. It is a difference of opinion, why is that so hard to understand. I've never come on here and said your opinion is wrong, just that it is a different opinion. I've never come on here and said that you haven't experienced something, so why can't you just respect the fact that others have different opinions based on their experiences, instead of questioning them over and over and over, just because they disagree with your opinion. Just agree to disagree on the issue, it is not a contest after all; I'm not trying to make you change your opinion and you will not be able to make me change my opinion. It is just that we have a difference of opinion. Edited by NLH Arizona

You're in a lose-lose situation on this board. Some want Celebrity to be another HAL. Sorry but I'm far too young to be cruising on a floating nursing home but based on some of what I have read I assume some would enjoy that atmosphere. :rolleyes:

I love this post. I wish I could of said that. My other favourite is how this Celebrity forum always calls it "Loud Techno Music" as one other posted once mentioned is like calling all music from the 1970's ... 70's music.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I love this post. I wish I could of said that. My other favourite is how this Celebrity forum always calls it "Loud Techno Music" as one other posted once mentioned is like calling all music from the 1970's ... 70's music.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

What term would you use to describe the music played there?

Also, wouldn't all music from the 70's be 70's music? To me it is. It isn't all the same style but if it's from the 70's its 70's music.

Edited by Lsimon

The problem I had with the "music" in the Martini Bar was that it was NOT MUSIC. I don't call some yahoo banging on drums music. To me volume is secondary.

That's a subject for another (long) thread.....and I vote for bluegrass :)

Oh, for goodness sake! Yes, been cruising with Celebrity since 2001! I've been on Century Class Ships, The M-Class ships and S-Class ships. Why can't someone have a different opinion than you? As you can see others also feel that the Martini Bar is a more hip/exciting venue then the others and don't want to lose that vibe. It is a difference of opinion, why is that so hard to understand. I've never come on here and said your opinion is wrong, just that it is a different opinion. I've never come on here and said that you haven't experienced something, so why can't you just respect the fact that others have different opinions based on their experiences, instead of questioning them over and over and over, just because they disagree with your opinion. Just agree to disagree on the issue, it is not a contest after all; I'm not trying to make you change your opinion and you will not be able to make me change my opinion. It is just that we have a difference of opinion.

Strange, I thought the subject was the volume, not the vibe although I will admit that it is ridiculous how some people like to post the same thing over and over.

Strange, I thought the subject was the volume, not the vibe although I will admit that it is ridiculous how some people like to post the same thing over and over.

The vibe is the lighting, the sound, the bartender's performances, the ice on the bar...it's the atmosphere. Volume is just one part of the vibe

That's correct the vibe is still there, it's just a question about the volume.

No. The volume is an integral part of the vibe - once it's adjusted beyond a certain level (up OR down) the vibe can change completely. The Martini bar vibe (as conceived by Celebrity and appreciated by many progressive types) would be obliterated by turning down the volume significantly. I for one hope they don't do that.

At the same time, I hope they keep other areas of the ship calmer and suitable for quiet conversation.

No. The volume is an integral part of the vibe - once it's adjusted beyond a certain level (up OR down) the vibe can change completely. The Martini bar vibe (as conceived by Celebrity and appreciated by many progressive types) would be obliterated by turning down the volume significantly. I for one hope they don't do that.

At the same time, I hope they keep other areas of the ship calmer and suitable for quiet conversation.

As has been said repeatedly, most of the time it's fine but there have been occasions where it's unbearably loud. The Martini Bar has never been a place for "quiet" conversation. It's always been vibrant. I've been on Celebrity ships for almost 100 weeks and almost all the time the volume has been just fine. But I can also assure you that there have been a few times where I can't imagine that it would be acceptable to anyone capable of hearing. I'll ask you the question since no one seems to want to answer it. Do you want it so loud that you can't hear the person right next to you even when they are shouting? Do you want to have to point or write down what you want from the waiter because he can't hear you? Do you want no conversation at all?

Edited by Ma Bell

Exactly.

I LIKE the " vibe " at the Martini bar in the evening, and the music is part of that vibe.

The rest of the ship is quiet and relatively sedate, including most of the other bars should one desire that.

Do you want it so loud that you can't hear the person right next to you even when they are shouting? Do you want to have to point or write down what you want from the waiter because he can't hear you? Do you want no conversation at all?

All I can tell you us I do like it loud - louder than many people my age and louder than what many consider to be appropriate for conversation (I also like and have always liked modern, up to date music). I don't go to such places (land or sea) for serious conversation however - it's more for the vibe while having a well made drink with people who are also having a great time. It doesn't suit everyone - but neither does bingo.

Edited by wpgcycler

The programmed music volume varies. I don't enjoy it loud, and have rarely experienced it too loud. The band on S class ships that play at the end of the bar vary in talent and volume level, but they start relatively late.

I enjoy the atrium band in the evening, the music fills the common areas and makes the ship lively. To be honest, the Martini bar, and the evening atrium band are what I like most about sailing on Celebrity! ( the food, the biggest minus )

The point I was trying to make....

There are 6-7 distinct bar areas, all with a different style and vibe.

The martini bar is the ONLY one that has a big city, boutique high end hotel, evening vibe. Yes, that appeals to a younger demographic.

It would be a mistake if Celebrity homogenized their bar environments so not to offend anyone while at the same time losing differentiation .

People, there are other bars. I don't complain about the schmaltzy music at the larger inside bar, I can't remember the name. Or the jazz at the rendezvous, or the loud horrendous disco music in the Observation lounge etc. I just go drink somewhere else....

Thanks for clarifying. I agree..for a minute I was unsure if you wanted to change the bar. We have also only once experienced it too loud and for those on the ships frequently it seems to happen every so often.

Now to decide what to wear to the Areosmith and Macklemore concert.;)

lol I wouldn't hold your breath, when I was on the Silhouette last May in the Martini bar the music was along the lines of Saturday Night Fever with a DJ playing along with electric bongo type things, very cheesy but a good laugh.

Hmm ok, is it dubstep or trapmusic, in a way? Bass n drum kinda, sorta? lol

Also to correct the posters saying "techno" that is an old term from the late 90's to early 2000's, no such thing anymore.

Also, this a modern martini bar concept, when was the last time you went to a martini lounge that was quiet and in a major city? Its not like it was back in the "OLD" days, sorry...

Edited by jp30338

All I can tell you us I do like it loud - louder than many people my age and louder than what many consider to be appropriate for conversation (I also like and have always liked modern, up to date music). I don't go to such places (land or sea) for serious conversation however - it's more for the vibe while having a well made drink with people who are also having a great time. It doesn't suit everyone - but neither does bingo.

So you won't answer the question or maybe you didn't really read it. What are they doing to have a great time? Is there any communication at all? Are you sure you know what is modern and up to date? You look like an old guy to me. LOL I don't know what Bingo, has to do with the subject. It really makes me laugh that people actually haven't been around enough to know that people who are interesting, hip, cool, progressive or whatever the term of the day is, usually stay that way regardless of their age.

Can you answer my question?

Edited by Ma Bell

What are they doing to have a great time? Is there any communication at all? ?

Not the poster the question was directed at, but perhaps enjoying the drinks and the music? Sometimes it's nice to focus on the atmosphere around you and not talk to people.

I like "loud" bars when I'm with people I spend a lot of time with and don't need to make small talk to fill the time. I just want a drink and to decompress.

I also like "quiet" bars for when I want to catch up with people or otherwise have a conversation. I haven't been on X yet, but when I hear "Martini Bar" I don't think of a quiet place to sip a drink and chat.

Edited by tonyrocks922

I haven't been on X yet, but when I hear "Martini Bar" I don't think of a quiet place to sip a drink and chat.

And here lies the problem - it used to be ... that's what's annoying past cruisers.

Is it me or does this thread go round in circles ????????:confused:

Not the poster the question was directed at, but perhaps enjoying the drinks and the music? Sometimes it's nice to focus on the atmosphere around you and not talk to people.

I like "loud" bars when I'm with people I spend a lot of time with and don't need to make small talk to fill the time. I just want a drink and to decompress.

I also like "quiet" bars for when I want to catch up with people or otherwise have a conversation. I haven't been on X yet, but when I hear "Martini Bar" I don't think of a quiet place to sip a drink and chat.

Can anyone read and comprehend what was said? It is not and never has been a quiet bar. It is noisier than in the past but I think most people have adapted to the way it is "normally" now. It is only the extreme times that concern most people.

Edited by Ma Bell

Can anyone read and comprehend what was said? It is not and never has been a quiet bar. It is noisier than in the past but I think most people have adapted to the way it is "normally" now. It is only the extreme times that concern most people.

You asked:

What are they doing to have a great time? Is there any communication at all?

Which I interpreted as:

What are they doing [in loud bars, or this loud bar] to have a great time? Is there any communication at all?

and I answered it. If your question was not about why people enjoy very loud bars then I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I understand the main conversation ITT is about this venue in particular and the current/historical volume level, but I was hoping to lend some information on the side-conversation about why people might enjoy very loud bars.

Edited by tonyrocks922

And here lies the problem - it used to be ... that's what's annoying past cruisers.

Is it me or does this thread go round in circles ????????:confused:

oh no it's definitely NOT you.......amazing really... almost 200 posts on the music at the martini bar....and here I am adding another one.....

some like it loud

some do not

pretty simple, and as I said in my 1st post on this thread if you don't like the level its at when you go then seek out a supervisor and see if you can get it adjusted...if you can't get your drink and go elsewhere cause it's obvious that.....

some like it loud

some do not

we don't but then we DO actually like to speak to each other when out...so we'll go elsewhere if it can't be turned down....the martini bar bartender just won't be the one getting our tips....:eek::)

So you won't answer the question or maybe you didn't really read it. What are they doing to have a great time? Is there any communication at all? I don't know what Bingo, has to do with the subject. It really makes me laugh that people actually haven't been around enough to know that people who are interesting, hip, cool, progressive or whatever the term of the day is, usually stay that way regardless of their age.

Can you answer my question?

I have no wish to argue with you. Whether my answer to your question is yes or no is largely irrelevant. The fact of the matter (and you know this) is that many of the contributors in these threads will not be happy until 1) The volume is reduced to the level of background music and (or) 2) The style of music is changed to --- (insert favorite here - jazz, c&w, classical, folk, Classic rock, 60s, etc, etc, etc). Even then there will be disagreement as to whether it's Coltrane or Kenny G, Real c&w or the newer trailer park version, symphonic or chamber, Seeger or Seasick Steve, Foreigner or AC/DC, Beach Boys or Spencer Davis and on and on and on...

I like it loud (and I've never had to leave a venue ever because I thought it too loud). I like it modern. Many do not like either. Many love bingo - I can't stand it. Point is we are all different. I like what I've seen in the Martini Bar and I don't apologize for asking them to keep it that way even while many others would like to see changes.