Hydro Pool/Thermal Suite Pass Question

rbp3072

Question reference the Hydro Pool & Thermal Suite Pass. For mom's 65th bday cruise in March, I'm taking her on the 14-Day Western/Eastern Caribbean on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam. I am debating adding this package, but can't decide if it's worth the cost, and would appreciate input from those who've used these facilities on the NA or Eurodam, as well as the length of the cruise. For reference:

1> It's a 14-Day/back-to-back. Not too sure what shore excursions we'll be doing just yet, but the majority will likely be low/moderate activity level due to her arthritis. (ie; May be saving a bit of money that could go towards the pass since we likely won't be going 'overboard' on excursions).

2> I booked an inside "I-category" stateroom, which was done to allow for the 14-day trip, as well as more splurging on other areas of the cruise.

3> We have one of the two family retreat cabanas booked already for the entire 2-week duration since we're in an inside room. So she will have access to 'relax and lounge' outside already.

4> We have one of the beach villas on the first stop at HMC for more lounging and relaxing time.

5> She loves the water, and despite claiming to be 'anti-spa', she will happily go when I get her random gift cards at massage envy here at home and is thankful afterwards, (once she finally goes and relaxes at least, haha).

I don't want to talk myself into buying a pass if it's not going to be useful, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity to get her something that will help ensure she has yet another place where she can spend plenty of time relaxing. HAL sent me the following when I inquired about pricing -

The cost for the Hydro Pool/Thermal Suite package for your entire voyage is $299USD for single or $499USD for double.

Thanks in advance for any opinions folks!

Robert

That price sounds just about right for what you were quoted by HAL.

Question -- how many are in your group? The regular cabana prices are the total for 4 people. The Beach Villas are for up to 4 people.

Sounds like you are planning some nice restful items for your mother.

You will love the Nieuw Amsterdam. Don't forget to try the Tamarind Restaurant.

That price sounds just about right for what you were quoted by HAL.

Question -- how many are in your group? The regular cabana prices are the total for 4 people. The Beach Villas are for up to 4 people.

Sounds like you are planning some nice restful items for your mother.

You will love the Nieuw Amsterdam. Don't forget to try the Tamarind Restaurant.

Just myself (35) and my mother (65). I tried to get my older brother and his GF to go with us, even if they just booked one of the 7-day segments, but alas was not successful.

I obviously could have gone with the 'smaller' retreat cabana on board the ship, but really wanted to splurge for her and give her the extra space. And the Beach Villa, (while also excessive), is a semi-necessity. (My crohn's leaves me needing immediate access to facilities at times if it's not a good day :().

Ooohh, I forgot about the Tamarind, as it's our first time on one of the Signature ships. :D

If your mother has arthritis, she will love the thermal suite! The water is so soothing, with the jets of various strengths to work painful areas.

She will come off the ceramic loungers feeling like a wet noodle, she'll be that relaxed. The pain will just disappear for a good, long time.

I would give up the cabanas, and the beach villa, for the thermal suite.

Just myself (35) and my mother (65). I tried to get my older brother and his GF to go with us, even if they just booked one of the 7-day segments, but alas was not successful.

I obviously could have gone with the 'smaller' retreat cabana on board the ship, but really wanted to splurge for her and give her the extra space. And the Beach Villa, (while also excessive), is a semi-necessity. (My crohn's leaves me needing immediate access to facilities at times if it's not a good day :().

Ooohh, I forgot about the Tamarind, as it's our first time on one of the Signature ships. :D

Hope you realize that there are only public restrooms around the island. You might want to book a cabana that is close to one of them. There is also a WC at the Pirate ship bar, but it might be noisier and busier if you are close by.

Question reference the Hydro Pool & Thermal Suite Pass. For mom's 65th bday cruise in March, I'm taking her on the 14-Day Western/Eastern Caribbean on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam. I am debating adding this package, but can't decide if it's worth the cost, and would appreciate input from those who've used these facilities on the NA or Eurodam, as well as the length of the cruise. For reference:

1> It's a 14-Day/back-to-back. Not too sure what shore excursions we'll be doing just yet, but the majority will likely be low/moderate activity level due to her arthritis. (ie; May be saving a bit of money that could go towards the pass since we likely won't be going 'overboard' on excursions).

2> I booked an inside "I-category" stateroom, which was done to allow for the 14-day trip, as well as more splurging on other areas of the cruise.

3> We have one of the two family retreat cabanas booked already for the entire 2-week duration since we're in an inside room. So she will have access to 'relax and lounge' outside already.

4> We have one of the beach villas on the first stop at HMC for more lounging and relaxing time.

5> She loves the water, and despite claiming to be 'anti-spa', she will happily go when I get her random gift cards at massage envy here at home and is thankful afterwards, (once she finally goes and relaxes at least, haha).

I don't want to talk myself into buying a pass if it's not going to be useful, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity to get her something that will help ensure she has yet another place where she can spend plenty of time relaxing. HAL sent me the following when I inquired about pricing -

The cost for the Hydro Pool/Thermal Suite package for your entire voyage is $299USD for single or $499USD for double.

Robert

We did this package on a 7 days Eastern Carib. cruise. even though we had 2 ports that were basically beach days.

First, I would wait and book onboard, as the price likely will be less than you quote.

Second, the hydro pool should help her with her arthritis as it is very soothing and relaxing. You are in a small swimming pool (about 2/3 the size of a typical backyard one) that is basically a hot tub. Temps are a bit lower than the hot tubs and there are metal "lounge" chairs in the pool to lay on (use a towel for your head - works great). In part of the pool is a small area (2-3 people) of higher pressure jets.

The Thermal loungers are a great place to just relax and are quite comfortable (even though they do not look it) - people often fall asleep on them!

Hopefully someone else will go with her as the package is alot cheaper that way. The second person does not have to be in the same cabin to qualify.

Any other questions?

....I would give up the cabanas, and the beach villa, for the thermal suite. [/color][/size][/font]

An endorsement from you about the Thermal suite is good enough for me, haha. I've spent enough time over the years browsing the forums to appreciate your candor on various topics. ;)

....First, I would wait and book onboard, as the price likely will be less than you quote.....Any other questions?

Thanks much for the input. HAL claims that I'll get shipboard credit if the price is lower once on board, (and some googlefu seems to back that up from other people's reports on it). I'm just hesitant about not booking, and then not being able to get a pass.

Thanks much for the input. HAL claims that I'll get shipboard credit if the price is lower once on board, (and some googlefu seems to back that up from other people's reports on it). I'm just hesitant about not booking, and then not being able to get a pass.

I always book the Thermal package as soon as I board and never had a problem. I do not know how being on a back to back might affect your pricing, so as long as they will honor the price, I would go ahead and book to be safe. Be prepared to back up what HAL tells you (a copy of an email would be good) as the Spa is not owned by HAL and sometimes issues arise.

DaveOKC

An endorsement from you about the Thermal suite is good enough for me, haha. I've spent enough time over the years browsing the forums to appreciate your candor on various topics. ;)

Ooo. Wow. Thanks. :o That is so nice to read.

My love of the thermal suites is limited to the Vista/Signature ships; I don't care for the thermal pool on the S-/R-class ships.

The larger ships have a very large pool, with water temperature that's about body temperature. Just a soothing time, with no danger for anyone with a cardiac condition. The smaller ships have what amounts to a glorified hot tub. No better than the included hot tubs by the pools.

The ceramic loungers are the same on all classes of ships, though, and really do sooth a weary body.

Agree with RuthC. Won't consider the Thermal Suite/Hydro Pool on the S and R Class ships for the reasons she stated. While the heated loungers would be nice, the pool is nothing more than a glorified hot tub.

Personally, I would wait to book upon embarking. Once on board, walk forward (the staff will try to direct you to the mid-ship elevators to take you to the Lido Restaurant) to the forward set of elevators that will take you to the Greenhouse Spa area right away or certainly no later than after you leave your carry-ons in your stateroom. You ought to be able to book what you wish with no difficulty.

My husband and I had a retreat cabana for the first time last December, then again in March. We also booked the Thermal Suite since we love it! We would stay in our Cabana until it closed, around 5 p.m., then head to the spa, then go to our cabin to prepare for our 8 p.m. dinner.

In November we are cruising on the NA again, but this time we splurged on the larger Retreat Cabana (I loved the ones that are smaller, but really, really coveted the larger ones.

We are currently trying to decide if we want to get the Thermal Suite this time only due to the amount of time we have to use it -- since we don't want to leave the cabana!

If you think your mother might get restless or bored by staying in the cabana area all day, then the Thermal Suite would be a great option. If you think she'd enjoy staying in the Cabana or other ship areas, you might not have enough time to truly enjoy the Thermal Suite.

What about getting the Thermal Suite pass for the SECOND week of the cruise only?

• 1 year later...
Ooo. Wow. Thanks. :o That is so nice to read.

My love of the thermal suites is limited to the Vista/Signature ships; I don't care for the thermal pool on the S-/R-class ships.

The larger ships have a very large pool, with water temperature that's about body temperature. Just a soothing time, with no danger for anyone with a cardiac condition. The smaller ships have what amounts to a glorified hot tub. No better than the included hot tubs by the pools.

The ceramic loungers are the same on all classes of ships, though, and really do sooth a weary body.

We are going to be sailing on our first HAL cruise in July on the Koningsdam and were thinking about getting this pass. I called tonight and for our first segment (one week long), it was $249 for a couples pass and for our 2nd segment 2 weeks long, it was $499 for the couples pass. - Does the Koningsdam fit into the category ship mentioned in the post above-Vista/Signature? I am finding Pinnacle... Wondering is the spa is worth it? Do we want this pass? Our 2nd segment has 5 sea days, so I am leaning towards just getting it for this 2nd part of our trip. Should we get it ahead of time to have less stress? Will it be cheaper on day 1 of the cruise... sorry for all the questions...

We are going to be sailing on our first HAL cruise in July on the Koningsdam and were thinking about getting this pass. I called tonight and for our first segment (one week long), it was $249 for a couples pass and for our 2nd segment 2 weeks long, it was $499 for the couples pass. - Does the Koningsdam fit into the category ship mentioned in the post above-Vista/Signature? I am finding Pinnacle... Wondering is the spa is worth it? Do we want this pass? Our 2nd segment has 5 sea days, so I am leaning towards just getting it for this 2nd part of our trip. Should we get it ahead of time to have less stress? Will it be cheaper on day 1 of the cruise... sorry for all the questions...

The thermal suite and thalassotherapy pool on Koningsdam appear to be the best yet in the HAL fleet. The t pool in particular is huge. I would go for it without hesitation, but I'm a spa guy.

People have touched on the spa components quite nicely already. I'll add this. You're booked in an I. I would recommend downgrade one level to a J if they have one on deck 1. They're midship and absolutely HUGE. It'll give you guys a little more breathing room