letter to captain

Actually my brothers, sister and I are trying to do something special for my mom. None of us are crazy or nuts. We were trying to secretly see without her knowing if we could invite captain to have dinner with our family one night in a restaurant. My mom has cancer and she may not be able to do much in ports and thought this might be a nice treat for her, as it seemed unlikely we might get invite f4rom. Captn to have dinner and all since there are 4 of us kids. Amazing how people can jump to conclusions without knowing and saying we are stalking... that's crazy... I was just looking to get a little help!

When you ask for help without describing exactly what you want, you can end up getting faulty results. Given your circumstances, you should direct your enquiry to either Guest Relations (onboard or in Miami) or the Hotel Director. The Captain would most probably not respond to a request like this (he may not even see it, depending on how much he relies on his secretary)(and not saying he wouldn't accept), but things to do with hospitality should be routed through the Hotel Director, who meets with the Captain every morning.

Actually my brothers, sister and I are trying to do something special for my mom. None of us are crazy or nuts. We were trying to secretly see without her knowing if we could invite captain to have dinner with our family one night in a restaurant. My mom has cancer and she may not be able to do much in ports and thought this might be a nice treat for her, as it seemed unlikely we might get invite f4rom. Captn to have dinner and all since there are 4 of us kids. Amazing how people can jump to conclusions without knowing and saying we are stalking... that's crazy... I was just looking to get a little help!

What a beautiful way to honor your mother.

When you ask for help without describing exactly what you want, you can end up getting faulty results. Given your circumstances, you should direct your enquiry to either Guest Relations (onboard or in Miami) or the Hotel Director....

Thank you for the explanation and I agree with you; OP was (understandably) vague about the reason and of course this can lead to speculation. The stalker/nuts comments were uncalled for. But OP also needs to know how the "order of things" works, and her question was answered here in this thread.

OP, I hope you have a nice family cruise. :)

GOOD FOR YOU.

We have had dinner with many captains and there are some who might just accept your invitation.

Do keep in mind that these captains are human beings…good men/women, son/daughters, and brothers/sisters. They just happen to be in a job position of "driving" a huge ship. That doesn't make them any less human or any less caring. They all have/had moms and they all have a special spot for that honorable position.

At my stage in life, most captains are the age of our son.

Our favorite captain picks his own passengers for his table and would probably enjoy inviting your mom or might even have dinner with all of you in a speciality restaurant. He is one of the finest men that we know on land or on sea.

Yes, there is a protocol. Your quest is no less nobel because of it. Good luck to you.

Out of curiosity, on what ship is she sailing?

We are all on serenade

When you ask for help without describing exactly what you want, you can end up getting faulty results. Given your circumstances, you should direct your enquiry to either Guest Relations (onboard or in Miami) or the Hotel Director. The Captain would most probably not respond to a request like this (he may not even see it, depending on how much he relies on his secretary)(and not saying he wouldn't accept), but things to do with hospitality should be routed through the Hotel Director, who meets with the Captain ever

Hotel director on sbip?

Thank you for the explanation and I agree with you; OP was (understandably) vague about the reason and of course this can lead to speculation. The stalker/nuts comments were uncalled for. But OP also needs to know how the "order of things" works, and her question was answered here in this thread.

OP, I hope you have a nice family cruise. :)

Order of how things work? I thought cruise critic was to ask questions and that is how you learn...I was vague because I didn't feel others really needed to know story behind it.

Hotel director on ship?

The Hotel Director is sort of like the Manager for, well, everything. :) If you are having a great cruise and things are running smoothly, chances are you have a fabulous Hotel Director. :) He or she can be contacted onboard through the Customer Relations Desk. Personally, knowing what the situation is now, I would hand-write a note to the HD (get his or her name from the staff onboard). If you are blessed enough to have Adriana Tibaudo (if she is still onboard Serenade) she is wonderful and may possibly be able to help you out with your request.

I thought cruise critic was to ask questions and that is how you learn...I was vague because I didn't feel others really needed to know story behind it.

Hi,

you are so right - that is how you learn ....... and some posters did give you the proper suggestions without knowing what you are planning on doing ....... and some probably would have suggest more detail suggestions, as they did after you did reveal your plan ....... for the rest of us who might have misunderstood your intentions- I am sorry.

My I congratulate you and your sisters and brothers on your wonderful plan to honor your Mom with the special dinner.

I am sure that either the Captain or one of his senior officers will be happy to accept your invitation.

Good luck to your Mom.

Have a wonderful cruise

That is very nice of you and your brothers and sister. Best wishes to you and your family and have a great cruise.

What a wonderful thing to do - contact everyone and anyone

can't hurt and I hope it works out for you!

:)

Which is exactly why people should be a little nicer and a little more forgiving than just bashing her and calling her a stalker, strange, "nuts" etc and so forth.

The stalker/nuts comments were uncalled for.

OK, I just reread the whole thread, One poster said stalker-ish and I don't see where anybody said nuts, unless it's been deleted? The man who said stalker-ish quoted me and honestly, I thought he meant I was being stalker-ish because I asked why she wanted to talk to the Captain. I'm glad I did, however, as once it was revealed, she was given the correct advice NOT to contact the Captain. :)

OK, I just reread the whole thread, One poster said stalker-ish and I don't see where anybody said nuts, unless it's been deleted? The man who said stalker-ish quoted me and honestly, I thought he meant I was being stalker-ish because I asked why she wanted to talk to the Captain. I'm glad I did, however, as once it was revealed, she was given the correct advice NOT to contact the Captain. :)

Hi,

there was a post, that seems to be gone that had some of the words that post 21 and the OP post (24) with explanations, is referring to.

Perhaps the poster that used those words did not mean any harm but misunderstood the intensions of the OP.

And I am sure the OP was asking how things work on the CC in addition to how things work on the ship.

Perhaps the words that you could not find any longer in this thread - did hurt the OP.

Edited by wieslaw

See, that's what I mean, you wouldn't write a letter to the captain about this. Or a bridge tour or proposing to the girlfriend. A new cruiser might not realize the Captain isn't the person you see out and about on the ship, interacting with the passengers. :)

The Captain is the Master of the Ship; however, as most seasoned cruisers know the Hotel Director (HD) is responsible for all guest interface functions as at a major hotel/resort on land.

Karen pointed me to post #24. I think contacting the Hotel Director and the Captain would be the best idea. My apologies for not reading all the posts. Thanks to Karen!

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

Which is exactly why people should be a little nicer and a little more forgiving than just bashing her and calling her a stalker, strange, "nuts" etc and so forth.

Oh wait, nevermind, this is CC and more specifically the Royal Caribbean forum. I should have known better.

Why, yes . you should have. You know how we all get on here when someone is acting a little strange!

Cruise Critic posters are quick to provide assistance as they can. But they can also be quick to flame if the opportunity is appropriate (even, not). I've been helped.

I've been flamed. (now have a well-worn flame retardant suit).:rolleyes:

to Teasterfamily - anything you need to know about Cruising, can be found on Cruise Critic. Not many secrets here, so be forthcoming with whatever it is you want to know. We are usually a curious bunch, so if you ask something not clear to us, somebody is going to ask you why? not rude, just how we post.

Bon Voyage to you and your dear family - your mother is lucky to have such a great family. Make Good Memories.