Umm mm. ... Unbelievable. ..!! They Don't Know What Cider Is On Royal Caribbean???!!

i guess the moral of this delicious story is to never assume your definition of something is the same elsewhere. In the u.s., the word "fanny" means backside, buttocks. In other parts of the world, it means...well...look it up.:d

:d :d :d

Edit- oops the smileys don't appear to work on the iPhone!

Edited by Hazydavo

If I were to call almost anywhere else from my home in New Mexico and ask for Carne adovada I would expect to hear crickets on the other end of the phone. BTW Carne adovada is pork chunks marinaded in hot red chile and slow cooked until very tender.

Are you sure that's right? We have for example, raspberry cordial, orange cordial, blackcurrant cordial... I wouldn't have thought those would be 'lemonades...'?

That said, I found it quite surprising to learn what you call cordial. You wouldn't be giving that to children! :D

What do you call lemons, water and sugar. Since I was told that Sprite, 7-up is considered lemonade to Australians, I was told by Australian friends that lemons, water, and sugar would be called a cordial. Maybe a lemon cordial if there is such a thing.

And yes, our cordials are alcoholic.

Are you sure that's right? We have for example, raspberry cordial, orange cordial, blackcurrant cordial... I wouldn't have thought those would be 'lemonades...'?

That said, I found it quite surprising to learn what you call cordial. You wouldn't be giving that to children! :D

lemonade in OZ is fizzy/carbonated.

in the US its lemon juice and sugar

Cordial is either a very strong alcoholic after dinner drink or ..well.. kool aid/Crystal Light. depends on who you talk to.

Soft Drinks are either non carbonated non alcoholic beverages, or soda/pop

nothing like being separated by a common language, huh?! :rolleyes:

Im hoping they have some sort of Cidar beer/drink for us unfortunate gluten free folks...no barley or malt for us...I think I will call C&A and request it in the DL. I get tired of wine sometimes :(

I am almost positve there is at least one GF beer on board most ships. and you can get hard cider in other venues besides an English pub..none of the Royal ships I have sailed on have had one, and I have definitely seen it listed.

Hard cider is very popular up here around this time of year, in fact Philadelphia has a whole festival around hard cider in the fall. It's one of my favorite alcoholic drinks (I love McKenzies Hard Cider, it's based out of upstate NY).

I am with you, I love cider (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and not sure if I ever saw it on the menu, though maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or it was the wrong time of year!

RCI is marketed here in Australia as an international company - not a US company. I don't think the original poster said anything about stupid or ignorant.

Not said directly, but implied a number of times... even look at the heading of the thread.

I wouldn't say it's "unbelievable" to not know everything about everything, pretty normal actually. They knew what cider is in their part of the world, but not what is a fairly niche segment elsewhere. Even in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of people weren't familiar with alcoholic cider.

Not said directly, but implied a number of times... even look at the heading of the thread.

I wouldn't say it's "unbelievable" to not know everything about everything, pretty normal actually. They knew what cider is in their part of the world, but not what is a fairly niche segment elsewhere. Even in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of people weren't familiar with alcoholic cider.

Yep, us silly Southerners of a certain age! Ask us about cider and we will point you to the Musselman's in the produce department. :D

I absolutely wouldn't hold lack of knowledge of fermented alcoholic beverages against a CS rep. ;)

On the other hand, a couple of cruises ago I had a bartender in the pub vehemently argue that Guiness is isn't a stout. :eek:

Edited by jstraw20

Hey, we'll be cruising on Royal Caribbean for the first time in January 2015, so I was online checking out potential drink packages. When looking at them, the lists of available alcoholic beverages indicated beer, wine, cocktails and of course non- alcoholic soft drinks. However, as cider is my favourite alcoholic drink I was looking for it and couldn't see it listed in any of the drinks packages. Rather than simply assume that it was cateogorised under beer, I rang up Royal Caribbean, and here's the thing- the young guy I spoke to didn't have any idea what cider was! So, I asked him what he thought it was - JUICE was his reply! Needless to say, my husband and I decided not to bother with drinks packages! As the cheapest package starts at approximately $45.00 Australian per person per day, the fact that we're allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine each onboard at the start, plus we'll probably get drinks at the Meet and Greets, the Captain's Cocktails, possible champagne at Art Auctions, possibly there will be a Champagne Fountain, and plus we'll be wine tasting in New Zealand - hey. .. we're not going to bother with drinks packages- especially when it doesn't look like I'll be getting any cider on Royal Caribbean, because they don't know what it is!!!!
Just got off the FOS on a Caribbean cruise yes it was hard to get them to understand what I wanted they had Strongbow at the pub on the promenade but was not available at the Ice show and Theatre so not sure where else on the ship you could get it. I was wondering if I could have brought two bottles onboard as the bottles I bought in upsate NY look like wine bottles and it says sparkling cider. Good luck in finding it. They also didn't have Sailor Jerry rum which is awesome in Angry Orchard.:D

Just got off the FOS on a Caribbean cruise yes it was hard to get them to understand what I wanted they had Strongbow at the pub on the promenade but was not available at the Ice show and Theatre so not sure where else on the ship you could get it. I was wondering if I could have brought two bottles onboard as the bottles I bought in upsate NY look like wine bottles and it says sparkling cider. Good luck in finding it. They also didn't have Sailor Jerry rum which is awesome in Angry Orchard.:D

Yes, Sailor Jerry rum...mmmmmmm

I drink hard cider, preferably Strongbow. In America, many servers in restaurants just look at me strange when I ask if they have any ciders because they are unfamiliar, even when they have it....some of them even call it "beer".

Hey, we'll be cruising on Royal Caribbean for the first time in January 2015, so I was online checking out potential drink packages. When looking at them, the lists of available alcoholic beverages indicated beer, wine, cocktails and of course non- alcoholic soft drinks. However, as cider is my favourite alcoholic drink I was looking for it and couldn't see it listed in any of the drinks packages. Rather than simply assume that it was cateogorised under beer, I rang up Royal Caribbean, and here's the thing- the young guy I spoke to didn't have any idea what cider was! So, I asked him what he thought it was - JUICE was his reply! Needless to say, my husband and I decided not to bother with drinks packages! As the cheapest package starts at approximately $45.00 Australian per person per day, the fact that we're allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine each onboard at the start, plus we'll probably get drinks at the Meet and Greets, the Captain's Cocktails, possible champagne at Art Auctions, possibly there will be a Champagne Fountain, and plus we'll be wine tasting in New Zealand - hey. .. we're not going to bother with drinks packages- especially when it doesn't look like I'll be getting any cider on Royal Caribbean, because they don't know what it is!!!!
there is no champagne fountain period and as far as cider is concerned it's not a "big" thing in the USA.

This has been a fun thread.

I wouldn't expect every CS rep to know every thing there is to know. You have no idea how new they are or what's required to know for their specific role.

I would hope, however, that a good CS rep would at least be able to help find the answer I needed.

Having only recently seen a few ads on TV for "ciders" (even one that the man in the ad says must be pronounced "ceedrah"), I do not think they are well-known here in the US. The word HARD in front of cider makes a big difference when describing what you want, I think! :);)

I absolutely wouldn't hold lack of knowledge of fermented alcoholic beverages against a CS rep. ;)

I agree. Generally speaking, I find that many U.S. residents are not that knowledgeable about fermented beverages. So nobody should be surprised if a CS rep has little or no information about beverages that are not very well known.

Perhaps in Kansas it defaults to a non-alcoholic drink, but in the Pacific NW, we like our cider hard. I guess it might have something to do with the craft beer industry that is prevalent here. I can't think of a bar in my area that doesn't carry some brand of cider.

Bars might carry it, but that doesn't mean everyone knows what it is. I used to like hard cider, back in '92 or so, but if you say simply "cider" to me I think of the apples DS and some friends helped press the other week.

They made cider.

The dad in charge of the pressing was going to take some cider and make HARD cider from it.

And, being in the NW, you might know what McMenamins is. They now have both cider (that my son can order) and hard cider (that's not appropriate for a 10 year old). That H word is very very important when ordering or asking about it!

I agree. Generally speaking, I find that many U.S. residents are not that knowledgeable about fermented beverages. So nobody should be surprised if a CS rep has little or no information about beverages that are not very well known.

As another poster from england has pointed out;

fermented hops and barley is beer.

fermented grapes is wine.

I am sure every american has come across one of these.

In england cider (as in alcoholic stuff) is on tap in most pubs alongside beers. In australia it is mainly bottled but some pubs are now serving mostly the english ciders on tap. In australia we call it apple juice if its of the non alcoholic variety and cider if it is alcoholic.