Leaving tomorrow, should I book another cruise onboard?

jenf22

Hi everyone. I've got a quick (maybe) question. We are sailing on Saturday on the Jewel and I'd like to book Allure or Oasis for summer of 2016. Since those dates aren't out yet, is there any benefit to making an open booking onboard? Based on my quick Google search, it kind of looks like the answer is "no" since the deposit is non-refundable and the OBC is minimal. Am I reading that right? Thanks all!

Hi everyone. I've got a quick (maybe) question. We are sailing on Saturday on the Jewel and I'd like to book Allure or Oasis for summer of 2016. Since those dates aren't out yet, is there any benefit to making an open booking onboard? Based on my quick Google search, it kind of looks like the answer is "no" since the deposit is non-refundable and the OBC is minimal. Am I reading that right? Thanks all!

My preference is to use a TA to book my cruises. I know there are varied opinions about this, but based on my own experience, my TA has been able to offer the same price as RCI while adding additional perks (equal or higher OBC's, champagne in room, specialty dinner for two, priority boarding even when not in a suite, etc). And if you find the right TA, he/she will alert you when there is a price drop and be able to rebook for you at the lower price. Again, just my own experience and two cents.

My preference is to use a TA to book my cruises. I know there are varied opinions about this, but based on my own experience, my TA has been able to offer the same price as RCI while adding additional perks (equal or higher OBC's, champagne in room, specialty dinner for two, priority boarding even when not in a suite, etc). And if you find the right TA, he/she will alert you when there is a price drop and be able to rebook for you at the lower price. Again, just my own experience and two cents.

I agree with what you say, however why not do both - book onboard with the booking held by the TA?

We usually will get an open booking just for the reduced deposit. When I get home, I transfer it to my Travel Agent so I can have the best of both worlds.

Important to note for anyone making an open booking that purchases Travel Insurance and requires the need to obtain a pre-exiting condition waiver when purchasing the policy. Most insurances companies will consider the actual date the you purchased the open booking and not the date you actual confirm a ship/cruise as the date from which you have 10-14 days (days will vary depending on policy) to purchase the insurance in order to get the pre-exiting waiver .

We usually will get an open booking just for the reduced deposit. When I get home, I transfer it to my Travel Agent so I can have the best of both worlds.

I am very surprised that RCI does not automatically make the booking through your travel agent, unless you sign a waiver. That is the standard policy in the industry.

Edited by artbcpa

I am very surprised that RCI does not automatically make the booking through your travel agent, unless you sign a waiver. That is the standard policy in the industry.

That is Royal's policy, however you can ask that your booking be made direct. Some sales agent make you sign a waiver, some don't.

Ok I haven't got good prices when trying to book onboard so haven't but the open booking sounds interesting. How does that work?

Thanks for all the replies!

I thought I read somewhere that the open booking required you to fax a form to say what you wanted the booking switched to and could take 10-14 days. Seems like the price/cabin selection could change in that amount of time. Also is the deposit for the open booking non-refundable?

I thought I read somewhere that the open booking required you to fax a form to say what you wanted the booking switched to and could take 10-14 days. Seems like the price/cabin selection could change in that amount of time. Also is the deposit for the open booking non-refundable?

I believe it is. You can defer the booking to another time if you want, but I don't believe you ever get the money refunded.

:D

The $100 deposit per person in non refundable although I have read reports that if you turn it into an actual booking and then cancel folks have gotten the deposit back.

I have not tried it myself, I always pick a specific cruise and date.

Important to note for anyone making an open booking that purchases Travel Insurance and requires the need to obtain a pre-exiting condition waiver when purchasing the policy. Most insurances companies will consider the actual date the you purchased the open booking and not the date you actual confirm a ship/cruise as the date from which you have 10-14 days (days will vary depending on policy) to purchase the insurance in order to get the pre-exiting waiver .
That's funny I was told just the opposite. https://tripinsurancestore.com/initial-trip-deposit-date/#a Edited by FLACRUISER99

The $100 deposit per person in non refundable although I have read reports that if you turn it into an actual booking and then cancel folks have gotten the deposit back.

I have not tried it myself, I always pick a specific cruise and date.

That is what we did and did work for us...

That is what we did and did work for us...

I would opt to just keep (carefully) moving the booking making sure the booking # stays the same including all OBC etc....Really no reason for me to need that deposit back and cancel entirely ;)

I have several NCC's that I purchased long before the new reduced OBC went into effect...I will use them carefully :)

Edited by Ashland

When you book onboard and get your OBC, can you still take advantage of price drops? I recall hearing people losing some of the balcony discounts or something when they have to reprice the cruise and now I can't remember what the issue was, exactly...

Yes, you can still get price drops if you book onboard.

The balcony discount thing was that they reduce that discount by $25 if the price adjustment occurs within 6 months of the sail date.

Yes, you can still get price drops if you book onboard.

The balcony discount thing was that they reduce that discount by $25 if the price adjustment occurs within 6 months of the sail date.

They are sticklers...

I'm assuming if you book a balcony onboard and upgrade to a suite later you would lose the OBC you'd of gotten if you just booked the suite to begin with, is that correct?

They are sticklers...

I'm assuming if you book a balcony onboard and upgrade to a suite later you would lose the OBC you'd of gotten if you just booked the suite to begin with, is that correct?

We have always kept the OBC from booking onboard, even if we change ship and/or sail date. However, they now have verbiage in the terms and conditions that says they will reduce the OBC if you change the ship and/or sail date. Even with the addition of these ridiculous terms, I believe they would still let you keep the OBC if you change categories without changing the cruise.

The OBC from the WOW sale typically has more conditions.