WISH US LUCK! Jumping ship over to Princess

Before my first Princess cruise I had read all the high fives about the Fettucini Alfredo and couldn't wait to try it. I was underwhelmed.:o Maybe I should have given it another try on a subsequent cruise, but I didn't. Now Sabatini's, that was a WOW for me.

Another poster mentioned names outside the cabins. On a thread somewhere else, a person was absolutely incensed that Princess would do that, went on and on about it and would not "give it up" even after being told you just take the name tag out. They weren't even sailing on Princess.

I love the closet setup on Princess. It's like having another small room where one of us can get dressed out of the way of the other.

I have to agree with you about the Fettucini Alfredo, we did not have a good experience with it on the Crown.

Sabatini's......excellent, as well as the Crown Grill. They both offer lobster, just in different ways. If you are travelling in a full suite, you cannot beat Sabatini's for breakfast. Royal Caribbean does not have anything like it. Starting my morning with a mimosa, and all of their signature dishes are fabulous!!

On the last formal night, we didn't want to dress up, and wound up having dinner in our cabin. A great thing about both Royal Caribbean and Princess, is that you can dine off of the MDR menu, in your cabin, on any night, and we took advantage of having 3 lobster tails each, for the main course, relaxing in our robes. I have to say that, as of now, Princess is a notch above Royal Caribbean when it comes to food.

Funny that someone would mention something about name tags on the slots next to one's door. I have never heard of anyone complaining about the name tags, but there might be one or two missing on any given floor. If someone wants to remain anonymous, simply remove your name tag!

We still love Royal Caribbean over Princess, but when Princess is almost at our back door, and have great pricing........well, sometimes it's easy to choose our number 2 cruiseline for more future bookings. We will be back aboard Princess in January, after cruising with RCCL in November and December, and then back again in February.

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

As you can see in my signature, we are Loyal to Royal D+ cruisers.

Saturday (Oct 11) we will jump ship over to Princess sailing on the Crown Princess out of LA for a 7 day Pacific Coastal cruise.

We booked this cruise for a few reasons, first to do a pay back to friends who are die hard Princess cruisers who came over to our side and did their first RC cruise with us on the Navigator this past May. Second, its from the west coast!! YEAH, a ship on the west coast, something RC has be missing for a few years now. But, they now have opened a few sailing for next year on the Jewel, which we booked the first day it opened!

And finally third, why not? I guess we will see if the grass is really greener on the "other side" :D

Upon our return I will do a comparison, so wish us luck as we embark to uncharted waters! :eek: :p ;)

ps.....it will be a real treat not to have a full days flight to get to FL, we still will go a day ahead, just for the relaxation of the start of something new!

You know what? We are pretty much true blue Royal cruisers, but we have cruised Princess and have a week cruise on Ruby in Dec. I think Princess is a lot like Royal only the décor is much darker/richer where Royal is brighter. Food is subjective, but we think it is pretty much equal. What we do love about Princess is the pool grill - you can get burgers/brats/chicken and the like for lunch, but at night with the Movies under the Stars, love that you can go up there and get wings, onion rings and just good old fashioned snack foods.

So enjoy. We will always cruise Royal as our first choice, but we will book Princess when the price is right. I get Elite b/c I do travel so we get the same perks as we get on Royal with being D+, so if the price/itin works, then no reason not to go.

Out of our 10 cruises, half were on Princess. This year we sailed on The Explorer from NJ. and were not at all disappointed. It is fun trying something new. Believe me, you won't be disappointed with Princess. Just have a positive attitude ! Our next cruise? Liberty of the Seas! We don't like flying anymore so, driving to NY or NJ are our options. Princess virtually gone from NY now, and Celebriry limited from NJ, so RCI it is. Have a great cruise!

Marg

You know what? We are pretty much true blue Royal cruisers, but we have cruised Princess and have a week cruise on Ruby in Dec. I think Princess is a lot like Royal only the décor is much darker/richer where Royal is brighter. Food is subjective, but we think it is pretty much equal. What we do love about Princess is the pool grill - you can get burgers/brats/chicken and the like for lunch, but at night with the Movies under the Stars, love that you can go up there and get wings, onion rings and just good old fashioned snack foods.

So enjoy. We will always cruise Royal as our first choice, but we will book Princess when the price is right. I get Elite b/c I do travel so we get the same perks as we get on Royal with being D+, so if the price/itin works, then no reason not to go.

I totally agree about the grill. I was so surprised that Royal doesn't have this. All other cruises lines that we have been on, always has the outdoor grill.

Marg

Sorry for not completing my post with the picture of the pizza. That was a picture from the Princess board by CC member Pam in Ca. It is a picture of Princess's Alfredo's pepperoni pizza from the Sapphire .

Edited by geocruiser

Worst flight....for being just a hour flight.....we spent 4 hours from boarding to the Marriott at the airport.

Will forget all about it tomorrow when we get on the ship! :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Enjoy your cruise. I love the Crown.

Well we are sitting on our plane in PHX and they announce we need to wait 30 min because Obama is in LA......delayed at least 30-45 min......this is why you need to go a day ahead!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Just to add a bit more......when it was all said and done, it was over 5 hours from PHX to LAX...we could have driven! :eek: :D :(

• 2 weeks later...

We found the dinner menu in the buffet on the formal nights to include the same specialty food served in the MDR so we didn't miss out on anything by not doing the formal stuff.

Look for the cookies and milk mid-afternoon in the atrium! It's not just for kids!

My wife and I really enjoyed the service and quietness of the Sanctuary. You had shade, reserved assigned seats, refreshments, a great view and no kids. Of course, they did charge extra, but it was well worth it.

Watch for the lunch time fish and chips in the English Pub!

Have Fun!

Upon our return I will do a comparison, so wish us luck as we embark to uncharted waters! :eek: :p ;)

Enjoy your cruise. I did the same thing early this year...and it led to me booking a second Princess cruise.

I wouldn't say the grass is greener...only a different shade of green. Princess' weaknesses, in my opinion, were their small, dated staterooms, dated theater and very chaotic and clausterphobic MDR. These held true on both the Ruby and Caribbean.

However, I thought the buffet had much better selection and quality, and I liked how the ships had 2 adult pools...one forward and one aft.

Otherwise, the activities...the nightly game shows/competitions were exactly like RCI.

Personally, I liked it enough that I look at Princess whenever booking. It's nice to have options. :)

I appreciate the other posters' comments on this thread. The reviews seem balanced enough to give an accurate picture of what to expect, and what not to.

I'm disappointed in the lack of West Coast action available from RCL and Celebrity (south of Seattle, that is) and looking elsewhere Princess seems to be the best option.