When I send my cloths out to be washed, are they washed with someone else's?

Don't bother, its a waste of your time. They are just snarky and and not very helpful. I wish I could just delete the thread.

Waste of time? Lots of info was given. Only one post IMO could be taken as somewhat rude.

Why? I don't think of the comments as being snarky but just having fun with a topic. Just go along with it and enjoy.

Agreed.

I wish I could just delete the thread.

You can have it deleted, since you are the OP. Click on the little red triangle in the upper right corner of your first post; a little box will come up where you can type your concerns to the moderators. Tell them the situation, that you are the author, and you would like the thread deleted. The red triangle alert button is there for a reason and members are allowed to use it to contact the mods. :)

Don't bother, its a waste of your time. They are just snarky and and not very helpful. I wish I could just delete the thread.

Excuse me - your question was truthfully answered. May not have been the answe you wanted and a few people did have some fun with the topic, but to say the answers were not helpful was just plain rude to those who gave honest and most helpful answers to your question.

Although I gotta admit that the thought of them running each person's tiny load of laundry through those big industrial machines all by itself was pretty funny.

You can have it deleted, since you are the OP. Click on the little red triangle in the upper right corner of your first post; a little box will come up where you can type your concerns to the moderators. Tell them the situation, that you are the author, and you would like the thread deleted. The red triangle alert button is there for a reason and members are allowed to use it to contact the mods. :)

Are the moderators here in the habit of deleting threads any time the OP gets their feelings hurt and wants to? I haven't noticed that, but am not around much.

Any other board I am on reporting a thread for something this minor would be considered a waste of the moderator's time, and people can not just have things deleted willy nilly like that. There would have to be a legitimate reason (like people being truly nasty towards others, or personal information inadvertently given out, etc).

I'm sure your clothes are washed with everyone else's, but each cruise that I've been on has had a laundry room where passengers can do their own laundry if they choose to. But I agree with you, I wouldn't want my personal items washed with someone else's so while on cruises I just wash and fold my own. Yes it takes time away from your entertainment time but it's worth knowing that someone else's bodily fluids on their undies are not being passed on to yours..... Germs don't die unless the water is hot enough so hopefully the temperature is set correctly. :')

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure your clothes are washed with everyone else's, but each cruise that I've been on has had a laundry room where passengers can do their own laundry if they choose to. But I agree with you, I wouldn't want my personal items washed with someone else's so while on cruises I just wash and fold my own. Yes it takes time away from your entertainment time but it's worth knowing that someone else's bodily fluids on their undies are not being passed on to yours..... Germs don't die unless the water is hot enough so hopefully the temperature is set correctly. :')

You must have been on other cruise lines because Royal has no guest laundry facilities on their ships.

Couldn't some bodily fluids be on towels, bed linens? Toerls arecwashed together.

If one analyzes many processes, we would probably never travel, eat in a restaurant, or even leave the house.

M

As Bob says, RCL has no self service laundry, and neither does NCL.

Hand washing doesn't kill germs either, but soap is a lubricant that breaks surface tension so that germs are washed away from clothing and hands.

Sorry,I have to ask, when sending my cloths out for wash and fold whats the process? I dont like the thought of my unmentionables being intermingled with someone elses. :cool:

And your plates, silverware, and glasses have never been used by anyone else either.

Thank you everyone for an engaging time. I haven't laughed so much in a very long time. We cruise Princess and have our laundry done. It comes back beautifully ironed. It is complimentary also...as are lots of other little perks. Princess use little labels which are easy to peel off. However in the dim distant past prior to us being elite we used to take a small box of detergent and a round washing line with pegs (lightweight and plastic) and use it if we filled up the line in the shower.

Some of the newer big ships are utilizing continuous tunnel washers (CTW)that can process vast amounts of laundry.

they still have some of the individual smaller machines for pax,crew and special washes.

Some as big as 100kg+ and 20 compartments abd can do 5000kg+ph are available. allthough I think the ships don't go that big.

Each load can be different so they can do a batch of sheets , then towels then napkins then table cloths etc.

they save on people, energy and water

THe first ship I saw these on was the NCL breakaway

Edited by insidecabin

This will be our first RCLcruise and I was devo that I couldn't just wander down to the laundry to wash and iron my own clothes. You meet some wonderful people in the laundromat.

Decided with 5 people in my family this could be tricky with no laundromat and iron.

My idea was to take disposable underwear and clothes problem solved!

Of course I was just kidding as that would not be good for landfill

Will just have to take enough clothes and if I have to hand wash curse I will!

The tricky stuff will have to be sent out to be washed with others and hopefully come back not too damaged, creased and mingled.

Can always use the excuse of I need to go shopping as I have nothing to wear!

Life is short I will have to make do!

Cheers and enjoy your cruises

I thought it was a good question. I've been wondering about this myself.

On our 7 day cruises it wasn't an issue. On our recent 10 day cruise (our 1st with Princess) we decided to try out the laundry facilities. BIG MISTAKE! We ended up with the slowest washer and dryer. It took 3 hours to do one load of laundry. Not the way I want to spend time on a cruise.

Anyway, we will be going on a couple of 14 day trips next year and don't want to over-pack. I learned lots of things in this thread. Thank you for bringing it up, OP.

We consider not having to do laundry a great aspect of our vacation. For many years, we would vacation in a condo. I remember sitting on the beach thinking about all the sand on our beach towels, everyone going in a taking a shower (and sorry, but we use a clean towel each day). When we first considered cruising, I didn't know how I would make it for a week without doing laundry. I actually worried about it. I set aside money for the wash and fold and I haven't looked back. Last year we took a Med cruise after spending a few days in Rome prior to boarding. The first morning on the ship, I was absolutely thrilled to be able to send my first bag to the laundry. We sent another bag mid-cruise (the "special" day) because we would be spending a few days post-cruise back in Rome and in New York before heading home. We managed to pack for more than 2 weeks with our one checked bag and a carry on, and we were always in clean clothes. We even sent a few pieces to the regular laundry (because we had "favorite" pieces). We even managed to arrive home with some clean clothes. It's the best! I would gladly spend Bingo money or the money I would spend on checking an extra piece of luggage on the ship's laundry.

Sorry,I have to ask, when sending my cloths out for wash and fold whats the process? I dont like the thought of my unmentionables being intermingled with someone elses. :cool:

all the more reason to go comando, or bring enough underwear

I've been told on Royal that they aren't but I simply don't buy that. From a business perspective, you just don't have enough physical laundry assets to do everyone's clothing individually in an expedient manner and it surely would put a dent in your operating margins to do so. From a practical standpoint, if they did launder individually, then why are my clothes ruined by them using safety pins on my clothes (they don't do this any longer) or using magic markers to write my stateroom number on my tags? Surely that isn't necessary if everything is separate.

My clothes have also been ruined due to shrinkage and such when washing hot and drying in high heat but that's for another topic.

Last time I sent laundry out on a ship, I was personally asssured that my clothes would be washed by Monks that have never spoke in their lifetime, used soap that was made by an Amish family with a recipe unchanged in 235 years, and with water that was drawn from an Icelantic glacier by virgins.

Note: The above is a joke.

Actually, having seend the tempertures used by these machine during a tour, it would be highly unlikely that anything would live through a cycle.

If you want to do your own laundry google "scrubba bag". We just bought one for a 12 night cruise and if this post is still up will be undating on how it works.