Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

My beloved home just keeps getting put on page one for really awful things. First it was JFK and now it's ebola. :mad:

I can guarantee you we're getting more media hype about Thomas Eric Duncan, Nina Pham and Amber Vinson than anyone anywhere else in the world. Our local ABC channel broke into ABC World News Tonight this evening to show live coverage of the ambulance taking Ms. Pham from Presby Dallas to the airport. It's crazy.

It is ridiculous; we really don't need to see live coverage of the ambulance meeting the plane.

(Reuters) - A Texas health worker who may have had contact with specimens from the first patient diagnosed with Ebola in the United States has been isolated on a cruise ship despite showing no symptoms of the disease, the Department of State said on Friday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/17/us-health-ebola-usa-cruiseship-idUSKCN0I60F520141017

No doubt, we've all read about people being isolated on land, so it should come as no surprise that someone on a cruise ship has been isolated. Note: the person/s isolated is showing NO SYMPTOMS which means there is currently no danger of contagion.

Edited by Salacia

A regular surgical mask, or even an N95 mask, will not stop Ebola.

Just learned that from another source, too, so no mask it is. I will take my chances flying since I can't do the long car ride to Florida. We all assess what risk we are willing to take to get where we want to be and do what we want to do. Or we stay home!

Edited by superoma

Here's another article, from the NYT. The point (to me) is that someone could board asymptomatic and then develop the disease as the cruise goes on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/us/ebola-cruise-ship-dallas.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHeadline&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Here's another article, from the NYT. The point (to me) is that someone could board asymptomatic and then develop the disease as the cruise goes on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/us/ebola-cruise-ship-dallas.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHeadline&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

I thought of this possibility when I read the flight from Cleveland to Dallas had continued to FTL, and the CDC was contacting passengers on that flight. Can you imagine paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, only to spend the entire time in the cabin? Or causing other passengers to be denied the opportunity to go ashore, as has happened in Belize? I would worry more about a lynch party than the disease!

I thought of this possibility when I read the flight from Cleveland to Dallas had continued to FTL, and the CDC was contacting passengers on that flight. Can you imagine paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, only to spend the entire time in the cabin? Or causing other passengers to be denied the opportunity to go ashore, as has happened in Belize? I would worry more about a lynch party than the disease!

This is my concern too. What if we cruise across the Atlantic, only to be denied the opportunity to go ashore in the Western Mediterranean ports? It is difficult to know how this reaction (and disease) will progress.

I fully agree. That would likely cause panic, whether warranted or not.

We haven't cancelled any cruise plans, but on the other hand, for the first time in five years we don't have any reservations either. I think the misinformation is as omnipresent as the truth, and to be honest, I don't know what to believe. We have been receiving an unusually high number of emails offering cruise deals, but we haven't acted on any of them.

This is my concern too. What if we cruise across the Atlantic, only to be denied the opportunity to go ashore in the Western Mediterranean ports? It is difficult to know how this reaction (and disease) will progress.

Exactly. Or worse, what could happen when we return to FLL? Will we be screened since we have been to Africa, albeit North Africa, and the Canaries? We still await updates on the three potential cases in the Canaries. I am not an alarmist, but I like to be prepared. As a member of a multi-generational military family, my motto is "expect the best; prepare for the worst".

Because a) the markets don't like unknown situations and b) many people panic unnecessarily and cancel (or don't book) cruises. Stocks don't necessarily take account of facts but of the market's perception of the facts.

The question is not so much why stocks are down as whether these feelings of "panic" that are whipped up by the media have any real chance of realization.

It seems you started this thread disingenuously -- it initially seemed you were asking a question and seeking input, whereas now it seems you are pretty much convinced. :rolleyes:

I have traveled throughout the 2000s -- lucky enough to take advantage of the great air, hotel and travel deals available in the couple of years after 9/11, and have read and posted on these boards through similar "panic" attacks of cruisers reacting to the predictions of widespread epidemics of swine flu, bird flu, SARS and H1N1 flu. I wish I could call up some of the posts in the past where cruisers made similar predictions of the demise of the cruise industry during each of these events...

All three major Stock indexes in the US are positive today. All three major cruise lines are down this morning (NCLH, CCL & RCI).

Just stating the facts...

I really am hoping to read some positive facts and not just "feelings" and non related historical personal narratives.

Maybe the Docs will find a cure VERY SOON!

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Just read on the cbc news that a woman passenger on a Carnival cruise ship had herself quaranteened on board and the usa is trying to bring her and husband back to the usa ASAP.Ship sailed from Galvaston Texas.

Anyone else hear about this:confused:

Jim ps there is lots more info on Carnival boards.

Edited by irishjim

On this mornings news the woman is on a Carnival ship - she is a health care worker that was involved w/ the processing of the waste from the man that recently passed away from Ebola in Texas.

I saw the news report. She has been 19 days without symptoms but the ship is taking precautions and keeping her isolated.

Just read on the cbc news that a woman passenger on a Carnival cruise ship had herself quaranteened on board and the usa is trying to bring her and husband back to the usa ASAP.Ship sailed from Galvaston Texas.

Anyone else hear about this:confused:

Jim

It is big news here also. The CDC and Carnival are trying to do the right thing and bring the entire ship back. The problem being that though she is self quarantined she still came in contact with all the passengers, crew, shore side personnel, etc., before the self quarantine.........

This scare just seems to get worse and worse as each day passes.

I do not think that I can let myself be scared into cancelling our plans for cruising or even going to the store. There are just to many "ifs" in life to be overly worried, even with my health.

Joanie

It is big news here also. The CDC and Carnival are trying to do the right thing and bring the entire ship back. The problem being that though she is self quarantined she still came in contact with all the passengers, crew, shore side personnel, etc., before the self quarantine.........

This scare just seems to get worse and worse as each day passes.

I do not think that I can let myself be scared into cancelling our plans for cruising or even going to the store. There are just to many "ifs" in life to be overly worried, even with my health.

Joanie

You would think a nurse who was involved with a man who died,would have more brains and had told this to the cruise line.The

mind boggles at times, like you it will not stop me from cruisin.

Edited by irishjim

Lets not continue to feed the fear machine. If you consider all of the appropriately trained health care folks, treating some very sick and contagious people on a daily basis to be a risk, then none of us would ever be able to travel.

This nurse handled a specimen over 19 days ago and is not displaying any symptoms, so the chance that she "may" be contaminated is nil.