Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

Among all the idle talk and chatter, have any of the posters here thought about taking the amount they would ordinarily spend on a couple of drinks on board and donating it to Doctors Without Borders? They selflessly do tremendous work and have been in the front lines fighting this horrible disease.

They have been certainly been a lot more effective and efficient than many government efforts.

I was so surprised last night when I suggested we buy airline tickets to FLL for a holiday cruise and not book the ship till the last minute looking for a deal. If the ships were full, that would be fine and we would enjoy Florida sunshine!

The surprise was when DW said, I prefer to not travel until we learn more about the Ebola situation.

Anyone else amending their travel plans?

My plans are not being amended. I am flying to Ft. Lauderdale on the 2nd of November and sailing on the NOORDAM on November 3.

My plans are not being amended. I am flying to Ft. Lauderdale on the 2nd of November and sailing on the NOORDAM on November 3.

Same here.

(2 from Austin, 4 from Houston).

I think it's silly to panic over this. Take precautions (as one would do on a cruise anyways. . but just move it over to real life -- don't touch your face, anti-bacterial hand wipes, and try to stay away from folks who are coughing/sneezing).

Yes I'm very concerned. Our next cruise is in 30 days, and flying US airways.. I don't want to jump the gun however we're taking a couple of precautions. Surgical masks for the plane and Clorox wipes to wipe down the luggage and cabin. I don't know if it will protect us but it will help with the anxiety. So sad :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I am very concerned too, I have cruise coming up in 25 days. I just don't know what to do, I was thinking of cancelling. But I keep going back and fourth on my decision.

The Giants are flying to Dallas tomorrow. How fast will this travel back to NY? Anyone's guess, but I agree it will get worse before it gets better.

One of my best friends has business in Dallas next week and is flying over the weekend. I'm sure she'll be fine but it makes me a little uneasy.

Among all the idle talk and chatter, have any of the posters here thought about taking the amount they would ordinarily spend on a couple of drinks on board and donating it to Doctors Without Borders? They selflessly do tremendous work and have been in the front lines fighting this horrible disease.

They have been certainly been a lot more effective and efficient than many government efforts.

Dr. Cocktail,

I whole heartily agree with you. And for others that many be interested, here is the website for Doctors Without Borders - specifically information regarding donations: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/support-us/donation-faq

Regards,

Salacia

Padre, happy to read that you have not amend your plans; you have your flock to attend to - and I am sure your presence will continue to be a great comfort to both the crew and passengers. Thank you.

Vaya con Dios,

Salacia

I sail on a cruise Monday. I have a question about formal night. Are hazmat suits allowed to be worn on formal night :eek:

From what I've seen on TV, I think a black cummerbund, bow tie and chest pocket-handkerchief would seem to be the most appropriate.

Scott & Karen

You can be serious! I think you are just trying to be argumentative. If you believe that everyone in the world has access to clean drinking water then you really need to travel more and not less.

How is it simple to get clean water to arid communities around the world?

You really missed my point...

There is no easy answer or cure for Ebola.

Providing clean water can be done. Why these folks do not have water is due to social economical political issues.

We have a cruise leaving the end of October on the Maasdam. It leaves Ft. Lauderdale then transatlantic to the western Mediterranean (including Morocco), then back to Ft. Lauderdale. Today is the first day I got concerned. Even though we will drive to the port, I think of the cruisers who will be taking air flights. How safe is air travel; do they have RED alert on airplanes now?

Same here.

(2 from Austin, 4 from Houston).

I think it's silly to panic over this. Take precautions (as one would do on a cruise anyways. . but just move it over to real life -- don't touch your face, anti-bacterial hand wipes, and try to stay away from folks who are coughing/sneezing).

for your wipes to be effective, you will want bleach in them since ebola is a virus not a bacteria. Those actually work best for Noro as well since it, too, is a virus.

I will be flying at the end of the year to Florida and may wear a face mask for the first time. Will decide as the time comes closer. Not cruising this year but that has more to do with finances than with the threat of Ebola.

We have a cruise leaving the end of October on the Maasdam. It leaves Ft. Lauderdale then transatlantic to the western Mediterranean (including Morocco), then back to Ft. Lauderdale. Today is the first day I got concerned. Even though we will drive to the port, I think of the cruisers who will be taking air flights. How safe is air travel; do they have RED alert on airplanes now?

I am on the same cruise and yesterday evening, although I am definitely NOT a Nervous Nellie type, experienced the first genuine twinge of concern. I had previously had a stray thought or two about the Canaries, North Africa, and perhaps Spain, but yesterday I realized that my flight to FLL connects through Dallas and Atlanta.

Yesterday my DH went to our primary care physician for a routine check up. The first thing that the nurse asked was if he'd traveled to Africa or Texas recently. I'm glad that our Dr. is not taking this crisis lightly and is doing his due dilligence to screen for potential problems with this virus.

Locally a class was held for first responders to teach them the proper protocols for transporting possible Ebola patients. There are hundreds of those first responders in our area, yet there were only abut 50 in attendance in this class when the TV camera panned the audience. The health care community need to start taking this seriously instead of assuming that "it won't happen here".

As to the poster who is using antibacterial wipes and lotions - those are ineffective against a virus.

Yesterday my DH went to our primary care physician for a routine check up. The first thing that the nurse asked was if he'd traveled to Africa or Texas recently. I'm glad that our Dr. is not taking this crisis lightly and is doing his due dilligence to screen for potential problems with this virus.

Locally a class was held for first responders to teach them the proper protocols for transporting possible Ebola patients. There are hundreds of those first responders in our area, yet there were only abut 50 in attendance in this class when the TV camera panned the audience. The health care community need to start taking this seriously instead of assuming that "it won't happen here".

As to the poster who is using antibacterial wipes and lotions - those are ineffective against a virus.

seriously?

has he been to Africa or Texas?

(shakes head). . .

*by the way, Dallas airport is not in Dallas (it's between Dallas and Ft. Worth, and it's huge). So the odds of you being near anything in Dallas airport that was even close to anyone that possibly was infected are minimal.

and in the same breath, let me explain how CDC is not anywhere near the Atlanta airport (which also is HUGE), and the patients that came into the CDC for treatment I can guarantee you did not walk thru the terminals regardless.

so no need to panic.

seriously?

(shakes head). . .

*by the way, Dallas airport is not in Dallas (it's between Dallas and Ft. Worth, and it's huge). So the odds of you being near anything in Dallas airport that was even close to anyone that possibly was infected are minimal.

and in the same breath, let me explain how CDC is not anywhere near the Atlanta airport (which also is HUGE), and the patients that came into the CDC for treatment I can guarantee you did not walk thru the terminals regardless.

so no need to panic.

Huh?

Inquiring about a person's recent travel is one of the first things that a health care worker should ask - after all West Africa and Dallas have been identified as having active Ebola cases, although I guess Texas is a stretch.

An infected nurse flew on a commercial flight to Cleveland from Dallas, so the Dallas airport is certainly involved, and now Cleveland is under scrutiny, as it should be.

Erring on the side of caution is necessary.

I'll be sailing in 30 day 6 hours. Has any cruise line responded to the Ebola issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

What would qualify as a cruise line response? Short of adding a question or two to the already present health questionnaire not sure there's much a cruise line could do.

seriously?

(shakes head). . .

so no need to panic.

Sign on the door of my doctor's office last week to notify nurse if you had been to Africa...don't think it mentioned Texas...but this was a week or so ago...office was part of Duke University Medical system...I am glad at least it is being acknowledged...

I flew from San Diego to Raleigh-Durham a week or so ago and a small child by the window seat...I was in the aisle seat...was sick two different times...his Mom took care of it..but I for sure know I would not want to be near an adult being sick on an airline...Ebola or not...Most of us are probably not in any danger at all...but you have to admit....or at least I will admit...it gives me pause to think about traveling right now...waiting to see what unfolds in the next month or so....

I'm at the airport about to board a plane to Dallas right now.

We are traveling to close to Africa in Feb 2015.

No Ebola and the fearmongoring media are not persuading me to live differently.

I'm much more scared of catching the flu on my flight.