Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

You stand more chance of catching novo virus of a fellow passenger not washing their hands than you do of catching Ebola,

Cancel my cruise? Not yet. It could happen based on how things develop, but, not looking that way now. As far as Noro virus, you don't have a 70% chance of dying if you do catch it. So, to me, that is not a valid comparison.

OK, love the quote... "Strictly Ballroom" is one of my favorite movies. Hopefully that's where you got that quote, or this makes no sense. :p

One of my favs as well so yes your comment made perfect sense. ;) Now everyone who doesn't know the movie thinks we're nuts! :eek:

Edited by PghCruiseGrrrl

I am also going to South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia in April 2015 for a safari vacation. I'm not concerned about ebola there as those countries have put a travel ban on people who come from Liberia, SL, and Guinea from entering their countries.
Exactly. The safari companies are monitoring this very closely. Like you, I'm going to South Africa and Botswana plus Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Yes the Ebola Virus scare has caused me to reconsider my cruise plans as my stocks are way down as the market got the jitters this week.

So I now feel poorer and less likely to cruise so much - and cruiseline stocks were hit particularly hard yesterday over the fear of expensive cancellation or re-routing of cruises due to the virus becoming prevalent in more areas.

CCL were down to around $32 yesterday, I would say yesterday was a good buying opportunity, up $2 today but not good if you bought a year ago or so at $41.

If all you have is 100 x CCL then just keep them and cruise a lot, carry on taking that generous stockholder taxfree OBC.

Interesting responses that seem to be all against cancelling travel plans.

Kramer was saying yesterday in essence the travel industry and he mentioned cruise lines were going to suffer from the Ebola since people will not be traveling. ( no wonder the public panics with reporting like that)

We plan to keep our CCL and continue to cruise but...maybe others will not book and thus cruise fares will decrease which = more cruises for us.:D

We have three cruises booked to the Caribbean and just this weekend booked a Venice to Rome cruise that includes Turkey. Will keep hands washed and away from face, bring mosquito spray for the Caribbean, book a Princess tour in Turkey in case port is cancelled and always have trip insurance in case cruise is cut short or whatever may happen.

One could just as easily get hit by a car crossing the street. So, the answer to the OP's question is NO.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Kramer was saying yesterday in essence the travel industry and he mentioned cruise lines were going to suffer from the Ebola since people will not be traveling. ( no wonder the public panics with reporting like that)

I'll never forget when Bill O'Reilly said he'd never cruise because people were falling off ships and getting norovirus.

Not the cruise portion in the Med but we are holding off on booking the African safari, precruise, til we see how this Ebola outbreak goes...:(. Being an RN that was in charge of 32 hospitals in one county getting ready for bioterrorism events, post 9-11 .....I always err on the side of caution.

There are lots of places we still want to see...so why accidentally put yourself in harms way. We did the West Africa cruise this year, some postponed to get better cabin availability next year...hope they aren't disappointed if Princess really changes up the ports....

I understand the accidents, Noro, and many other things that could go wrong.....but still use my judgment....also, waiting to see how the nurse in Texas caught Ebola if she was totally protected in gear..that will be a big defining moment for me.....

To each his own....no flaming please!

Edited by hillslife

As you can see below, we are booked on the Ocean Princess from Cape Town to Dover next May. We have no intention of cancelling. I think you have a greater chance of contracting malaria than ebola. We are scheduled to stop in Senegal, Ghana, Benin, and Togo. Only Senegal had ONE case of ebola. I do expect, if things don't change for the better, Princess will cancel some ports and schedule others. HAL has already cancelled their port stop in Ghana. Ghana is a developing country and there have been no cases of ebola. I read on another thread that Silversea cancelled their West Africa port stops and added St. Helena Island and Ascension Island. I will monitor the situation and if I don't feel safe, I wouldn't get off the ship.

Bill

The cruise industry must be holding it's breath. One case of ebola on a ship will send the cruise business into a tailspin. Since we don't have a cruise booked, we'll wait a month or two and see how things play out and how widespread this thing becomes here in the US and Europe.

As you can see below, we are booked on the Ocean Princess from Cape Town to Dover next May. We have no intention of cancelling. I think you have a greater chance of contracting malaria than ebola. We are scheduled to stop in Senegal, Ghana, Benin, and Togo. Only Senegal had ONE case of ebola. I do expect, if things don't change for the better, Princess will cancel some ports and schedule others. HAL has already cancelled their port stop in Ghana. Ghana is a developing country and there have been no cases of ebola. I read on another thread that Silversea cancelled their West Africa port stops and added St. Helena Island and Ascension Island. I will monitor the situation and if I don't feel safe, I wouldn't get off the ship.

Bill

If you ever get the chance to go to St Helena then grab it with both hands. An unusual and interesting chance to see the house Napoleon Bonaparte lived in during his confinement to St Helena by the Brits - and where he died, some say poisoned, others that he just could not live on English food.

A totally unspoilt just about last outpost of the British Empire. Nice people, and the pound is the currency.

Not the cruise portion in the Med but we are holding off on booking the African safari, precruise, til we see how this Ebola outbreak goes...:(. Being an RN that was in charge of 32 hospitals in one county getting ready for bioterrorism events, post 9-11 .....I always err on the side of caution.

There are lots of places we still want to see...so why accidentally put yourself in harms way. We did the West Africa cruise this year, some postponed to get better cabin availability next year...hope they aren't disappointed if Princess really changes up the ports....

I understand the accidents, Noro, and many other things that could go wrong.....but still use my judgment....also, waiting to see how the nurse in Texas caught Ebola if she was totally protected in gear..that will be a big defining moment for me.....

To each his own....no flaming please!

I am also an RN and I would never say Never. Just like you, I always tend to be over cautious. I would not panic and cancel at this point, but there are still too many unknowns. On top of all of that, I have CVID (common variable immune deficiency) which makes me even more susceptible.

Ebola is a terrible disease which brings an unbelievably horrible death.

So no flaming from me!

Edited by Grammyluvs

As folks who lived in Africa for over 13 years, here are a few facts you may want to consider before you have any thoughts about a threat to you from Ebola in Africa.

Africa is a huge continent. Ebola is endemic only in west and central Africa. From its discovery in 1976 there have been sporadic outbreaks of the disease and all, until this year, have been in isolated villages. This year due to easier travel, Ebola cases hit densely populated cities in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone -- all small countries in west Africa with very rudimentary medical support and little governmental capability to control disease spread..

The only, repeat only, cases outside of that area have been those who traveled from those areas and those they infected outside of the area.

Ebola can only be spread by contact with the bodily fluids of an individual who is actively suffering the disease, e,g. is already sick and running a temperature.

If you are not visiting Liberia, Guinea, or Sierra Leone your chance of contracting Ebola is the same elsewhere in Africa as it is in the United States.

The cruise industry must be holding it's breath. One case of ebola on a ship will send the cruise business into a tailspin. Since we don't have a cruise booked, we'll wait a month or two and see how things play out and how widespread this thing becomes here in the US and Europe.

Boy you said a mouthful......one case and the ships will be absolutely deserted. They won't be able to give a cruise away. CNN will be covering it every three minutes. It would take decades for the industry to recover. Imagine one case on a ship. Maybe someone who lied about their health to get on the ship, so as not to lose their money. It could spread to hundreds of people. And for those who say that it is hard to contract, the nurse in Texas was fully suited up contracted the disease. The scary part of the outbreak is that there is no treatment and everybody dies a horrible death. The public health system is unprepared and the federal government is still not sure what they are doing.

As a nurse, I am concerned about any increase in cases. I live in North Dallas. The thing that gives me pause is the fact that family living in the apartment with Mr. Duncan are symptom free but a nurse in protective gear got it. This leads me to believe that maybe some people are immune to the disease while others are not. CDC has made some critical errors as well as the hospital in Dallas. 76 people were in contact with patient, to me, that was just nonsense, they need to have a special team that are the only ones to handle care. I have a cruise 12/14 out of Houston and fully intend to go, unless things were to really be bad, in that case, I wouldn't be the only one not cruising. I and others would have far more things to worry about than going on a cruise.

Edited by Lars2014

From the World Health Organization:

Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.

Unless you're licking the open sore of someone who has contracted Ebola, you're pretty safe. This reminds me of the AIDS epidemic - people don't take the time to enlighten themselves and instead believe the media hype. We should be smarter than that.

From the World Health Organization:

Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.

Unless you're licking the open sore of someone who has contracted Ebola, you're pretty safe. This reminds me of the AIDS epidemic - people don't take the time to enlighten themselves and instead believe the media hype. We should be smarter than that.

I am sure the nurse in Dallas wasn't licking anything in her full protective gear. Plus the gov't is changing its tune daily.

I am sure the nurse in Dallas wasn't licking anything in her full protective gear. Plus the gov't is changing its tune daily.

There is some controversy as to whether or not the hospital was following the correct procedures to keep those taking care of the patient safe. I'm not sure she was fully protected...again...media is saying she was and STILL got it...everybody panic!

The World Health Organization is not the government.

I live and work in L.A. L.A. folks; where there's a shooting a day and where it's unsafe to walk the streets of certain portions of our city during the day or night. Walking or driving, we avoid certain sectors of this city for fear of our lives.

I used to tell my children to make sure that they had a full tank of gas before driving to and from school [uSC] so that they didn't have risk their lives stepping out of their car. And, even then there were the drive-by shootings, the crazies who would rob you at the gas station and on and on. Sound scary......it's a reality....Am I scared by the news of Ebola, Aids, influenza breakouts, etc., etc. Sure....but when I put it into prospective of my daily life....heck, it's not so scary anymore!

Did I forget to mention earthquakes.....we live here never knowing when the "BIG ONE" will hit.

Did someone ask, "why don't you move?" I have a job that pays the bills and allows me to go cruising two or three times a year. Jobs with the package mine offers are very hard to find. The kids are grown, I don't worry about them so much and I walk through life with a 90lb Big Black Lab. No one needs to know that the worst he would do is stare them to death! My security may be false but the charm of this big city, with all it has to offer beckons to me! ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Yes, we are concerned. We have a 30 day in February scheduled and are seriously considering canceling before final payment, which makes us so sad, but really don't trust the government to control ebola. It can take as long as 21 days to show up and soooo people can be on flights and then start showing signs of ebola while on the cruise. Then what?? The room stewards have so many rooms and I think that it would be easy to spread. I can't say how many times we have been in an elevator and someone coughs or sneezes without covering their mouth. That is bodily fluid. If it was noro virus I wouldn't think twice because noro is gone in a few days but with ebola you die. Just my opinion.

Just give it up to a higher power and go out and enjoy your cruise!!!

We all have a number and when it is up, we will go by whatever takes us there.

We just booked a 31 night from Buenos Aires to LA on the Golden Princess.....can't wait!!

Leaving on MOnday on the Grand to Sea of Cortez...

eclue:cool:

We all know that WHO and CDC never ever make mistakes. Temperature taking at airports will not prevent it from coming here. People will lie to get what they want. Duncan wanted to come here, he knew he had been in contact and lied about it. He will not be an isolated case, there will be others. Let's hope that medical facilities will ramp up their readiness for what may come. We all know that people lie on the health questionnaire that we fill out at the cruise terminal, because they don't want to be denied boarding. Sorry, this scares the bejeebees out of me and I don't scare easily. The next two months we will have a much better idea how this will play out. Right now I am planning to go on my cruise out of Houston.