Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

..."Princess Cruises does not have any ships calling in any countries with Level 3 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travel Health Notices and none of our crew members are from these areas."

HAL has posted the same on their site, for those here who also sail with them.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I am hoping for NO price drops related to the Ebola virus. I think it would be very bad for the economy if panic, fear, and caution escalated to the point that cancellations and fewer bookings forced price drops.

Ditto to that...

I'm actually hoping for some price drops--not necessarily for people canceling due to their fears of Ebola. We're thinking of taking a New Year's cruise. I've been tracking prices for a couple of months. The final payment date just passed.

I'm actually hoping for some price drops--not necessarily for people canceling due to their fears of Ebola. We're thinking of taking a New Year's cruise. I've been tracking prices for a couple of months. The final payment date just passed.

With luck you will hit the "sweet spot" of snagging a lower fare after final payment while there is still decent cabin availability. I did that recently on Princess, and got a balcony for less than an inside had been selling for earlier.

It all depends on your risk tolerance--I have seen fares increase after final, so it is a crapshoot.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Me too. New Year's, that is. And it doesn't have to be on Princess either. I'm looking for a major balcony bargain.

ITINERARY CHANGE

As you may know, there has been an epidemic of Ebola virus disease in the West African countries of Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. As the

safety and well- being of our guests and crew are our top priority, and in working closely with and following the guidance issued by the World

Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we have made the necessary decision to cancel our

calls to Cotonou, Benin; Lome, Togo; Tema, Ghana; and Dakar, Senegal. Instead, Ocean Princess will now call to Luanda, Angola; Madeira

(Funchal), Portugal; Malaga (for Grenada), Spain; and Lisbon, Portugal. In order to accommodate these changes, the call dates and times in Sao

Tome, Mindelo, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Casablanca, and Ceuta have been amended. The revised itinerary displays in full at the end of this

notification.

We are sorry for any disappointment these changes may cause, and appreciate your understanding.

Well, it happened. Princess has decided, out of an overabundance of caution, to cancel several West Africa ports that are ebola free. Not happy, but what can you do. We are reviewing our options and will see how things shake out.

Bill

An interesting thread to read through. The CDC's WEB site, gives a little more information on potential spreading:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?

Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

What does “direct contact” mean?

Direct contact means that body fluids (blood, saliva, mucus, vomit, urine, or feces) from an infected person (alive or dead) have touched someone’s eyes, nose, or mouth or an open cut, wound, or abrasion.

How long does Ebola live outside the body?

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dry surfaces, such as doorknobs and counter tops, can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

My question is if Ebola is only spread by transmission of bodily fluids how are these Doctors and Nurses catching it when they are dressed in hazmat suits?

I witnessed a murder-suicide in my home town on Tuesday at the train station. The body was decapitated and placed in two different spots in the street. I thought it was a Halloween hoax as I drove by. The murderer threw himself in front of the train that my wife was on. What are the odds of witnessing that? I guess my odds of contacting Ebola have just gone up.

Edited by Iamcruzin

My question is if Ebola is only spread by transmission of bodily fluids how are these Doctors and Nurses catching it when they are dressed in hazmat suits?

I witnessed a murder-suicide in my home town on Tuesday at the train station. The body was decapitated and placed in two different spots in the street. I thought it was a Halloween hoax as I drove by. The murderer threw himself in front of the train that my wife was on. What are the odds of witnessing that? I guess my odds of contacting Ebola have just gone up.

There are a couple of things that factor into the hazmat suits not "working". The first is not all of the personal treating those have the best protective gear, although the protective gear in question may not be the problem.

The temperature in the area of the out break is fairly warm (86 degrees or so) and this means that it gets even hotter in those suits. Since the doctors can only stay in the suits for a short period of time, they have to take them off and put them on quite frequently. With the amount of contaminated body fluid coming out of patients, it is extremely important to follow protocol when taking off the suits, cleaning them, and putting them back on... This is where the main problem is. My guess is (having worked in similar suits) that in the heat and humidity, people are making errors in taking their suits off.

There are a couple of things that factor into the hazmat suits not "working". The first is not all of the personal treating those have the best protective gear, although the protective gear in question may not be the problem.

The temperature in the area of the out break is fairly warm (86 degrees or so) and this means that it gets even hotter in those suits. Since the doctors can only stay in the suits for a short period of time, they have to take them off and put them on quite frequently. With the amount of contaminated body fluid coming out of patients, it is extremely important to follow protocol when taking off the suits, cleaning them, and putting them back on... This is where the main problem is. My guess is (having worked in similar suits) that in the heat and humidity, people are making errors in taking their suits off.

That makes sense. Thanks

Good points. I saw an interesting segment on TV recently, with Dr. Sanjay Gupta donning protective gear, then smearing chocolate syrup on parts of himself to represent bodily fluid exposure. He carefully removed the gear, but nevertheless managed to "contminate" himself in a couple places. Properly removing these suits appears to be more easily said than done!

Good points. I saw an interesting segment on TV recently, with Dr. Sanjay Gupta donning protective gear, then smearing chocolate syrup on parts of himself to represent bodily fluid exposure. He carefully removed the gear, but nevertheless managed to "contminate" himself in a couple places. Properly removing these suits appears to be more easily said than done!

This is the case with any type of PPE (personal protective equipment). It is all about getting it off (and if reusable, decontaminated and back on). Some of the best PPE equipment can be sprayed down to kill everything that is on the outside (in this case with bleach/chlorine) but that is not always available. Given the time this disease can live outside the body, I wouldn't be surprised if several of the caregivers have been infected trying to get their suits back on.

I find it interesting the amount of misinformation about ebola out there. It is fairly difficult to catch if you are just sitting next to the person (unlike other diseases). But the amount of contaminated fluid from an ebola patient when they are sick is what makes these outbreaks hard to contain. (Thomas Eric Duncan's family lived with him while he was sick and didn't get ebola. They also were seen on a blanket that has his sweat and they were fine. Sweat has yet to be proven as a means of transferring the disease as the whole disease has not been found in sweat.)

How ghastly!

What a terrible sight...no one ever thinks it will happen to them. It is a gamble. Thank god it was not you..my prayers go out to the family it happened to.

This is the case with any type of PPE (personal protective equipment). It is all about getting it off (and if reusable, decontaminated and back on). Some of the best PPE equipment can be sprayed down to kill everything that is on the outside (in this case with bleach/chlorine) but that is not always available. Given the time this disease can live outside the body, I wouldn't be surprised if several of the caregivers have been infected trying to get their suits back on.

I find it interesting the amount of misinformation about ebola out there. It is fairly difficult to catch if you are just sitting next to the person (unlike other diseases). But the amount of contaminated fluid from an ebola patient when they are sick is what makes these outbreaks hard to contain. (Thomas Eric Duncan's family lived with him while he was sick and didn't get ebola. They also were seen on a blanket that has his sweat and they were fine. Sweat has yet to be proven as a means of transferring the disease as the whole disease has not been found in sweat.)

The Dallas hospital did not have the proper hazmat suits for their staff and they had not been adequately trained in safely removing the suits. Add to this that the patient first came into the ER and it took awhile before they realized what the problem was. The first time they gave him some antibiotics and sent him home. So by the time he came in the second time he was very contagious. Cleanliness standards in the developed countries is far above what is found in the under-developed areas of Africa where the disease is rampant. Education of the populace enters into the picture also.

Pax have a much greater chance of getting noro on the ship than ebola. This has not curtailed our traveling around the country and out of the country.

And he brought it with him to the US. He didn't catch it here.

No, but two nurses did ;)

Luckily, no one else has contracted it yet, so obviously preventative measures are working.

I feel much better about the situation now than I did two weeks ago though.

Edited by 4cats4me