Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

Just wondering.

We have never bought cruise insurance before but for our upcoming January Caribbean cruise we decided to purchase it. I'm not so concerned right now but my husband is so it buys some peace of mind. This and the Chikungunya are making him nervous.

I'm booked on a cruise leaving from Houston, and I still don't have second thoughts. "A life lived in fear is a life half lived." But I'm the person that eats off of random food trucks in the Caribbean if they have a congregation of locals around them getting food. I also ALWAYS buy trip insurance!

Ebola is still very, very localized in Western Africa. The reports that you see here in the U.S. involve medical and relief workers who have had very close contact with infected people. A group of random cruise vacationers is not going to present a threat while on the ship. And if you aren't cruising to Western Africa, any level of fear would really border on the irrational. Ebola doesn't spead like Noro, so a cruise ship would not be an incubator of the disease.

I am far more concerned about staying home and getting gunned down in a movie theater or a school or a mall at the Christmas season. No, I won't be changing my travel plans at all.

Yup, we are much safer out of the US than at home. The chances of being shot and killed are much higher than the chance of getting Ebola.

I guess I may be in the minority here, although not worried yet, it has definitely crossed my mind. I'm cruising in November and I have 2 young kids so I guess you worry about everything a little bit more when you have small kids. You come into contact with a lot of people when you travel and you just never know but for now still planning on enjoying my cruise!

I'm booked on a cruise leaving from Houston, and I still don't have second thoughts. "A life lived in fear is a life half lived." But I'm the person that eats off of random food trucks in the Caribbean if they have a congregation of locals around them getting food. I also ALWAYS buy trip insurance!

OK, love the quote... "Strictly Ballroom" is one of my favorite movies. Hopefully that's where you got that quote, or this makes no sense. :p

I'm with you, I just jump in and go. Now, if someone is coming at me bleeding from various places and lookin' like the Walking Dead... I'm not going to stop and hug them. I'm adventurous, not bonkers.

But, I work in a jail that houses everything from public intoxications to murderers, so I think I probably have a higher chance of getting killed at work than I do of catching Ebola on a cruise. So, that's my rationale.

Yup, we are much safer out of the US than at home. The chances of being shot and killed are much higher than the chance of getting Ebola.

agreed

i am much more worried about my two young nieces here at home and the enterovirus that seems to be making rounds here in the US than a couple of isolated cased of ebola.

Why would anyone be concerned about catching Ebola on a cruise? It's not airborne, you'd have to have direct contact with the fluids from someone exhibiting symptoms, Princess (or any other line) wouldn't fly crew (if there were any which I don't think there are) directly from West Africa to the ship, and cruise ships are no longer stopping in West Africa.

You are thousands of times more likely to get a cold or the flu.

It's interesting that all of reported cases in the US of someone "exhibiting symptoms" have all been negative. The only real cases have been someone returning from West Africa or was in direct physical contact with someone with Ebola.

There's far more hysteria than fact or reality. FYI, I'm going back to Africa for another safari next year and I'm astonished at the number of people concerned about my doing so. I'll be no where near West Africa nor do I plan on being in close physical contact to the point of exchanging bodily fluids.

Edited by Pam in CA

Yes the Ebola Virus scare has caused me to reconsider my cruise plans as my stocks are way down as the market got the jitters this week.

So I now feel poorer and less likely to cruise so much - and cruiseline stocks were hit particularly hard yesterday over the fear of expensive cancellation or re-routing of cruises due to the virus becoming prevalent in more areas.

CCL were down to around $32 yesterday, I would say yesterday was a good buying opportunity, up $2 today but not good if you bought a year ago or so at $41.

If all you have is 100 x CCL then just keep them and cruise a lot, carry on taking that generous stockholder taxfree OBC.

No, I am not considering any changes whatsoever. As long as ebola remains transmissible only through body fluid exchanges, it won't make much ground outside of places where funeral customs encourage touching the dead.

Princess is a lot more likely to cancel the cruise than I am to not go.

Interesting - to the OP - I'm surprised I'm the first one to mention that insurance is very important to have in any case - never mind Ebola, Noro....falls, heart attacks, etc....you just never know - there are many threads on this topic. I hate paying for something I hope to not use, but I'd sure hate needing it and not having it even more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I might have thought about it had this happened in April when we were headed to West Africa. Unfortunately due to an injury (DH) we were forced to cancel three days prior to departure. Would I go now? Probably, if he was cleared medically.

I might have thought about it had this happened in April when we were headed to West Africa. Unfortunately due to an injury (DH) we were forced to cancel three days prior to departure. Would I go now? Probably, if he was cleared medically.

Hope his clearance will happen soon Pia. It has been a long haul for you both.

Why would anyone be concerned about catching Ebola on a cruise? It's not airborne, you'd have to have direct contact with the fluids from someone exhibiting symptoms, Princess (or any other line) wouldn't fly crew (if there were any which I don't think there are) directly from West Africa to the ship, and cruise ships are no longer stopping in West Africa.

You are thousands of times more likely to get a cold or the flu.

It's interesting that all of reported cases in the US of someone "exhibiting symptoms" have all been negative. The only real cases have been someone returning from West Africa or was in direct physical contact with someone with Ebola.

There's far more hysteria than fact or reality. FYI, I'm going back to Africa for another safari next year and I'm astonished at the number of people concerned about my doing so. I'll be no where near West Africa nor do I plan on being in close physical contact to the point of exchanging bodily fluids.

^quoting above for truth.

You're more apt to die in a car wreck than Ebola. Of course if you get Ebola, you'll be famous... albeit a short lived fame! ;):D

Unless your travel insurance is "cancel for any reason", it wouldn't cover you if you decided to cancel your cruise because you were fearful of ebola. If you did catch ebola on a cruise it would cover your medical evacuation and care.

I will be cruising on Emerald in January and I'm hoping cancellations will produce discounts for the rest of us. I am also going to South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia in April 2015 for a safari vacation. I'm not concerned about ebola there as those countries have put a travel ban on people who come from Liberia, SL, and Guinea from entering their countries.