Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

Several months ago, my family booked a Bahamas cruise for Fall of 2015. We have been so excited, and were talking about it daily. Now with Ebola, we don't talk about it at all. We all know, if Ebola starts to really spread in the U.S., we will cancel our trip, and will not travel. It is not worth the risk. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of faith in the CDC or our govt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

We all know that WHO and CDC never ever make mistakes. Temperature taking at airports will not prevent it from coming here. People will lie to get what they want. Duncan wanted to come here, he knew he had been in contact and lied about it. He will not be an isolated case, there will be others. Let's hope that medical facilities will ramp up their readiness for what may come. We all know that people lie on the health questionnaire that we fill out at the cruise terminal, because they don't want to be denied boarding. Sorry, this scares the bejeebees out of me and I don't scare easily. The next two months we will have a much better idea how this will play out. Right now I am planning to go on my cruise out of Houston.

This is exactly why there is Ebola hysteria. Coming from a RN: you're more likely to die of influenza or drug resistant TB. Good grief folks...

50,000 people die every year of complications from the flu. That's every single year. For years vs. one person in the US who lived in West Africa.

Yes, Ebola is a dreadful disease but unlike the flu, it's not airborne. You're not going to get it from being in a crowd or among other people.

Please put this into perspective.

Yes the Ebola Virus scare has caused me to reconsider my cruise plans as my stocks are way down as the market got the jitters this week.

So I now feel poorer and less likely to cruise so much - and cruiseline stocks were hit particularly hard yesterday over the fear of expensive cancellation or re-routing of cruises due to the virus becoming prevalent in more areas.

CCL were down to around $32 yesterday, I would say yesterday was a good buying opportunity, up $2 today but not good if you bought a year ago or so at $41.

If all you have is 100 x CCL then just keep them and cruise a lot, carry on taking that generous stockholder taxfree OBC.

Hear you BUT the market being down has nothing to do with Ebola.

LuLu

Ebola is dreadful, but, at present. I face greater risks every time I get in to my car to drive somewhere. I was never one to live in fear or fall prey to hysteria. BTW, I spent a lot of time in Liberia during my Pan Am years. Our layovers, right across the road from the Robertsfield Airport, were a major part of the 9 day Africa patterns we flew. My heart goes out to that country, they have had such a rough go of it, even before the recent Ebola outbreak.

My only thought was, "maybe it's a good time to get a deal". I figure, one person's fear is another person's opportunity, so yeah, I'll do my part to fill the empty airline seats, occupy the empty hotel room, book DH's b-day cruise.

On the other hand, I would never have an issue with any of our travel plans being altered due to an abundance of caution in the interest of public health.

I'm a retired nurse so I prefer to see overreaction when it concerns Ebola.

Now, the CDC is asking the entire flight of passengers - from the Frontier flight that this latest person was on - to check in with the CDC.

There must be something that we aren't aware of going on.

21 days that's the incubation period. During this time the CDC wants anyone who was exposed to check in with them.....it's not complicated.

STOP being part of the problem!!!!! And, please look both ways before crossing that street!

Bring on the cruise deals........I'm so ready to book more than 2 cruises a year, especially if I can get a good deal on a veranda!

I would never tell people which risks they should take (especially when traveling with kids...I get that), but I think it's important to realize that, so far, the family members of the original US victim have not fallen ill. It is two people who were in extremely close contact with bodily fluids using what has now been pointed out were sub-optimal protections that became infected.

It does anger me that the news media stirs panic in an effort to make money, and that's their only motivation. We live comfortably with known threats everyday (smoking, obesity, the sun, global warming) and pretty much ignore them. What's making this one so different is the media's constant stoking the flames of reasonable concern into something much larger.

I guess I may be in the minority here, although not worried yet, it has definitely crossed my mind. I'm cruising in November and I have 2 young kids so I guess you worry about everything a little bit more when you have small kids. You come into contact with a lot of people when you travel and you just never know but for now still planning on enjoying my cruise!

You are magnitudes and magnitudes more likely to die from an antibiotic resistant germ than from Ebola.

http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/threat-report-2013/

Currently, about 23K people directly die of drug resistant strains and that number is going to get worse.

Ebola is real but really far down on the list of things to be concerned about.

Oh my goodness. Absolutely no thought to cancelling anything. You can't go through life living in a bubble

I think this may have been the thought of the hospital worker when she flew on Frontier Airlines. Sometimes, I guess, one should consider living in a bubble............just saying.

Second nurse started symptoms while in Cleveland and chose not to report to medical personnel there, she wanted to get back home to Dallas. She is why this Ebola disease is so dangerous. People will lie to protect themselves and the heck with people that may be impacted by those actions.

We are due to fly from UK to Miami in December to join Coral Princess and yes, we are concerned. Who wouldn't be when cases are increasing every day and governments are too soft to put strict sanctions on travel from the infected countries into place?

Just checked our January Caribbean cruise which was almost sold out. Now, there are at least 50 balcony cabins available. Cost hasn't gone down...yet. Coincidence? One has to wonder.

For a January cruise, final payment was either just due or will be shortly. There are usually cancellations at final payment.

...The next two months we will have a much better idea how this will play out...

I just cancelled a February cruise on the Crown, partially due to recent mixed reviews and partly due to Ebola concerns. The cruise isn't selling that well, so I will keep an eye on both updated ship reviews and Ebola spread.

If all goes well on both fronts, I hope to rebook around final payment at a better fare!

Edited by Ryndam2002