All Open Seating in MDR (no "Fixed")

SilvertoGold

[quote name='Floridiana']It seems that there are a lot of 'traditional dining' posters here. I don't particularly like it, had a table with people we did not particularly care for, one with ok people and only one with people we liked on our three cruises with fixed dining time.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Did you ask to have your table changed the two times you found your tablemates incompatible? That's the easy solution.

I find that most fellow passengers are interesting, friendly people, who are out to have a nice cruise. We may not all have enough in common to be BFFs in real life, but we certainly have enough in common to enjoy dinner together over the course of a cruise.
If I don't make it on the first try (rare), I do on the second.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='cruz chic']My point is why get super upset about something that hasn't happened. Hal is glacially slow at moving on changing things they should i.e. smoking. I'm sure that hal realizes how popular the traditional dining is with some folks and they wouldn't be smart to change it.[/QUOTE]

Why? It's what we do best here! :D Besides the all open seating, which we're currently upset about, we are also a little rattled by Royal Caribbean's wine policy, which also has no effect on us.

[quote name='CruiserBruce']In that "slump" time, the waiters are cleaning up, and setting up for the next seating.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Which they may be doing all around you, whilst you are trying to enjoy your meal, in Open Seating venue.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Ray in NH[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ray in NH'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Which they may be doing all around you, whilst you are trying to enjoy your meal, in Open Seating venue.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Ray in NH[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Don't they clean up in traditional too? They don't let dishes pile up on the table.

[quote name='cruz chic']Don't they clean up in traditional too? They don't let dishes pile up on the table.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Yes, but they do that during the "lull" (as it was previously called) between the "Early" and "Late" Seatings.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Ray in NH[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

i do not think that traditional diners have anything to be concerned about.

HAL is not exactly an innovative cruise line. A massive change for HAL might be moving the traditional dining times up or down 15 minutes. That in itself would probably result in a mailbag or two full of customer complaints.
l Edited by iancal

[quote name='iancal']i do not think that traditional diners have anything to be concerned about.

HAL is not exactly an innovative cruise line. A massive change for HAL might be moving the traditional dining times up or down 15 minutes. That in itself would probably result in a mailbag or two full of customer complaints.
l[/quote]

Thanks, I needed that :D :D :D

[quote name='iancal']i do not think that traditional diners have anything to be concerned about.

l[/QUOTE]

I agree with your thoughts, but also think that HAL will try anything that will save them money and it was stated clearly by the HD that there are savings with open seating.

WCB's thread, post #96 is where this is noted. Edited by SilvertoGold

l[/quote]

LOL - yes, let's all get a grip and stop worrying.:D It may not happen in my lifetime.

Yes, but they do that during the "lull" (as it was previously called) between the "Early" and "Late" Seatings.

Ray in NH

Not everyone who dines at fixed seating is on the early dinner. The stewards start to clean up and reset the tables for breakfast as soon as the table is free on late seating.

We are just as used to that going on around us as open seating passengers are.

I don't find it much of a distraction.

Why? It's what we do best here! :D Besides the all open seating, which we're currently upset about, we are also a little rattled by Royal Caribbean's wine policy, which also has no effect on us.

Just hop onto the Princess boards, and you will see that OBC discussion is all the rage ;).

I hope this is just a rumor. We like late fixed seating (2 top). Is it possible they were just floating the idea to see what the reaction might be?

It's not obvious to me what the rationale is, but you can bet that if there is a cost savings involved, HAL will make the change. They are certainly not innovative or quick to change, but cost savings may be the one thing they motivates them to move more rapidly.

Some of the luxury lines (Silversea, but not Crystal) also offer only "as you wish" style dining. But their dining room is big enough that you never have to wait.

All open seating should improve food quality, the fixed dining system is the epitome of banquet food. Kitchens must prep, cook final prep and plate well in advance in order to turn out hundreds of plates at the same time. Staggered restaurant style dining is much better for food prep purposes. We love open dining.

All open seating should improve food quality, the fixed dining system is the epitome of banquet food. Kitchens must prep, cook final prep and plate well in advance in order to turn out hundreds of plates at the same time. Staggered restaurant style dining is much better for food prep purposes. We love open dining.

I remember saying a while back that they plate ahead and got told by many posters that they don't do that. Of course they do! How could they manage otherwise.

Some people like to believe that HAL's, or most other mass market cruise line, MDR is fine dining.

The tables are set nicely, the food is presented nicely. But in the final analysis this is banquet food through and through. You get some great meals, some not so great, and lots of mediocre ones in between. I have no doubt that they plate as much as they can in advance. Just consider the volume..it is pure assemby line.

Edited by iancal

Some people like to believe that HAL's, or most other mass market cruise line, MDR is fine dining.

The tables are set nicely, the food is presented nicely. But in the final analysis this is banquet food through and through. You get some great meals, some not so great, and lots of mediocre ones in between. I have no doubt that they plate as much as they can in advance. Just consider the volume..it is pure assemby line.

Agree. When I hear someone complaining that the food is not "perfect" - like a steak being too rare - I explain to them that this is a mass meal operation, thus it is VERY difficult to be exact for them, so we must understand.

DaveOKC

I have to agree to a point on some comments here. Yes, this is not the same as a small to medium sized gourmet restaurant where a single chef can complete an order to perfection. But it is also not akin to a typical banquet style dining experience. Have you seen the kitchen on a cruise ship or in a large upscale restaurant? They are designed and equipped to be able to provide a great number of meals at the same time.

This is not saying that there are items that are prepared in advance; they are. But these items can be made in advance and held. But steaks, prime rib, chops and most fish can be done "to order".

You should not be satisfied with something that is either too rare or overcooked. While many may be prepared at the same time, the chef should be aware of the level of "done" and serve it at the desired state.

Edited by Murray's Pop

Of course it is "mass production" - and not gourmet. It is, however, well served in an attractive environment: the service and environment is far superior to that found in any but the most upscale restaurants, and the quality of the food, and its preparation, is superior to that in the land based mass market restaurants - such as Olive Garden, Appleby's, Ponderosa, etc., etc., etc.,

It would be a deal breaker for us in fact.

HAL has been dismissed as being stuck in the past, that they need to modernize or go under. That may be the case, but HAL has also demonstrated that they do not want to alienate a major segment of their core market: witness their smoke-friendly policy.

I believe that it is highly unlikely that they would want to jeopardize the loyalty of a significant portion of their core market by eliminating traditional assigned dining. They have no need to do that, as they already accommodate the segment who do not like assigned dining by offering any time.

If they are slow to modernize, as their detractors state, they would hardly start by knowingly shooting themselves in the foot.

Of course, much of this discussion is based on the assumption that the MDR will remain. Perhaps HAL will adopt a page from other cruise lines and eliminate the MDR all together. One can only hope.

RCCL is replacing MDR on Oasis and will have none on Quantum- 20 restaurants to choose from. For now I'm sure some included, many with a fee

RCCL is replacing MDR on Oasis and will have none on Quantum- 20 restaurants to choose from. For now I'm sure some included, many with a fee

I saw that on facebook, and clicked into it. Hmm, looks pretty interesting, though I like RCI but would never cruise on one of the behemoth ships. But it did get me thinking, and perhaps the idea is not so bad, if done properly. Quite a few of those restaurants have no additional fee.