Opening up connecting balconies?

kpee

We have been forever Royal Caribbean followers, but are starting to explore other options for Easter Vacation. We travel as a party of 5. My husband, myself, our 2 kids and my Mom. RC always opened up our connecting room balconies which made for a great big family balcony. Norwegian (so far) refuses. Has anyone been able to get them to open it up and do you know why they have this policy? They have been unable to explain it to me.

Sorry. New to the Norwegian thread - what does that mean?

What Beaver means is that the topic is brought up about three or four times per month.

Short answer, they are not supposed to be opened, particularly while underway. You are not supposed to open them yourself. Long answer is some stewards have opened them in the past for some guests, mostly while in port, while others have simply used a Swiss Army knife or whatever and just opened the doors themselves. Some people will tell you it's a fire hazard, a safety issue, a privacy issue or whatever.

Bottom line, ask your room steward on board then do whatever they say and be happy about their answer, even if you don't like it.

No need to apologize but do run and get your flame retardant suit on quickly.

So, you've talked to Norwegian about opening the dividers, right, and they've told you no, correct?

My understanding is that it is an NCL policy that they not be opened except to allow the crew cleaning. I'm sure it has to do with safety but really NCL isn't obligated to explain any further.

Your cabin steward may open it for you while in port but even that might be up to the Captain...

Enjoy your cruise and you'll find there are lots of places to get together rather than just your balcony.

Cheers

Edited by All-ready2cruise

I was told that it was to slow the spread of fire and that since the Princess incident, the materials to make these dividers have changed industry wide.

06-03-starprincess-burnt.jpg

This is how it was explained in another thread and this is not the first time I've heard this.

chengkp75:

It is a fire break, not a fire boundary. What the divider does is to stop the wind from blowing all along the balconies, carrying flaming material and heat to the next balcony. It's not an A-60 fire bulkhead (must not transmit fire from one side to the other for a minimum of 60 minutes), but it will slow fire propagation. The dividers are now (after the Princess fire) all made of material that will only smolder when flame is applied, not burn.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Are you kidding? A simple butter knife from the main dinning room can get about anything open if you have a little McGyver in ya

Just because it can be done.... doesn't mean you have permission to do it.

OP, watch out... the flames are about to start, just remember, they're not all aimed at you... :eek:

In addition to what I've been quoted above, it may depend on where the two cabins are. Are they connecting cabins (interior door between cabins)? If not, the two cabins may be in two separate fire zones (divided by those doors in the passageway), and these dividers will not be allowed to be opened on any ship, any line. After the Princess fire mentioned above, the IMO requirements for fire zone boundaries were extended out to the balconies.

We opened up our divider between our balconies on the Getaway with no issues. It was open the entire length of the cruise. I have always gone by the standard that is is always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. I.e., if you really don't want to know the answer, don't ask, just do it. Even if they close it while you are out,just reopen it when you are using it, and close it back when you leave. No biggie.

Edited by maja651

We opened up our divider between our balconies on the Getaway with no issues. It was open the entire length of the cruise.

What issue would you expect? The whole point is to stop fire accelerating. Obviously in the vast majority of trips, thankfully there isn't going to be a fire.

We were on the Spirit a few months ago. The dividers were closed and could not be opened. I mean they physically could not be opened unless you removed the 4 bolts and took the divider panel off. It was never meant to be open on the Spirit.

OP, I'm glad you posted this question. I would never have guessed that the dividers couldn't be opened! We get the balcony dividers opened on Carnival ships but are planning our next cruise on NCL. I would much rather have an open balcony but at least now I know to look for adjoining cabins.

Edited by jtdlmc

We were on the Spirit a few months ago. The dividers were closed and could not be opened. I mean they physically could not be opened unless you removed the 4 bolts and took the divider panel off. It was never meant to be open on the Spirit.

If I remember correctly, the Sky is the same way. The only reason the dividers were made to open in the first place was to allow quick cleaning of the glass door and balcony deck by the deck crew on turn-around day. They will open the entire run of dividers. The older ships where they are bolted into the frames, means that the crew has to pass the pressure wash hoses around the dividers all the way down the ship, and this takes time.

I've never really looked at what the class society rules are for opening the dividers, not even sure they cover this, though with the popularity of it, I'm sure it has been brought to their attention. Maybe a research project for the weekend. I know, I need a life.

What issue would you expect? The whole point is to stop fire accelerating. Obviously in the vast majority of trips, thankfully there isn't going to be a fire.

Potential issues- the room steward or the butler ask us to close it. That didn't happen.

And before you scold me for putting the ship in danger by opening up our balcony divider, we did not do that. Our particular divider only separated our 2 balconies, and on either side of both of our cabins was a window from the bathroom of each cabin. No other balconies were even attached to ours.

We opened up our divider between our balconies on the Getaway with no issues. It was open the entire length of the cruise. I have always gone by the standard that is is always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. I.e., if you really don't want to know the answer, don't ask, just do it. Even if they close it while you are out,just reopen it when you are using it, and close it back when you leave. No biggie.

You must be so proud.:rolleyes:

It is people like you that really annoy the hell out of me. Why bother to make a comment if it is only to criticize? Get a life.

Beaver1975 rightfully recognizes that people who say "don't ask, just do it" may need to be called out and criticized -- particularly when the safety of others is involved.

Beaver1975 rightfully recognizes that people who say "don't ask, just do it" may need to be called out and criticized -- particularly when the safety of others is involved.

Well, if you or Beaver had read my other reply, you would have noted that what we did did NOT impact the safety of others, as both of our suites had a window on the other side, and no other balconies were attached to our suites. Before you decide to judge and be critical, know the facts.

Well, if you or Beaver had read my other reply, you would have noted that what we did did NOT impact the safety of others, as both of our suites had a window on the other side, and no other balconies were attached to our suites. Before you decide to judge and be critical, know the facts.

Hey, look... I read all your replies in this thread... I don't know whose safety you impacted...all I know is you said "don't ask, just do it" -- and the word of a former NCL chief engineer says those dividers are fire breaks (not boundaries). That would mean they are safety devices. You, in your superior wisdom, opened them when you found them, I would assume, locked. These are the facts, no?

People like you annoy the hell out of me. You assume that because you perceive no risk or danger then there must be none. So after taking your direction and knowing the facts, I choose to be critical of people like you, who think they know better than a locked door.

Edited by triptolemus

I just cruised on the Celebrity Equinox and they opened our dividers for the entire trip, no problem. I loved being able to go between our cabins via the balcony. I am not sure why Celebrity opens the dividers and NCL does not.

Celebrity did not allow smoking on the balconies. I know NCL changed their smoking policy. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Also, our dividers on the Equinox were fixed open. They did not swing. On the Epic, I did not see a way to permanently keep the dividers shut. Maybe they are worried about someone getting hit with a divider door.

Edited by NCruiser2012

I just cruised on the Celebrity Equinox and they opened our dividers for the entire trip, no problem. I loved being able to between our cabins. I am not sure why Celebrity opens the dividers and NCL does not.

Celebrity did not allow smoking on the balconies. I know NCL changed their smoking policy. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Also, our dividers on the Equinox were fixed open. They did not swing. On the Epic, I did not see a way to permanently keep the dividers shut. Maybe they are worried about someone getting hit with a divider door.

The policies vary line to line. Many allow dividers to be opened, at the Captain's discretion, and he/she will allow/disallow this based on the number of dividers requested to be opened, how many of them are close together, and the itinerary. I have not heard about a blanket policy at NCL against opening dividers, but it may be that they wanted to take the Captain out of the position of denying a passenger request.

The policies vary line to line. Many allow dividers to be opened, at the Captain's discretion, and he/she will allow/disallow this based on the number of dividers requested to be opened, how many of them are close together, and the itinerary. I have not heard about a blanket policy at NCL against opening dividers, but it may be that they wanted to take the Captain out of the position of denying a passenger request.

Interesting.