Healthcare worker possibly exposed to Ebola, sailing on Carnival ship

caladezi

"Fact based?" It seems no one (including the media) really gives a flying fig about facts. The media certainly IMHO appear to be taking every opportunity to whip the public into an irrational frenzy. Bottom line....More people in the US have died from the flu, but somehow that isn't sensational enough to give air time.

Yes they posted the facts of the situation on their ship....sorry to disappoint your hysteria

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What I've read at other message boards (non-cruising) are from Americans wanting the US borders to be closed to prevent more people from bringing the disease into the US. Many are calling for a stop to direct flights from countries with high infection rates, but not all of those flights will come direct. Many flights will route from other "hub" countries without high infection rates.
A few people screaming for the borders to be closed on other message boards does not represent what is being said here by the majority (believe me, there are not hordes of people running through our streets screaming for the borders to be closed). I don't think anyone would want the US to be isolated away from the rest of the world, because of a few (2) health care workers infected by the disease, unless they are not informed about what is going on.

Yes, it is true that many want those flights from high infection rate countries stopped, but our government is not doing it at this time, even though I believe other countries have done so (some African countries). And if you think about it, someone could go from Liberia to Canada and then fly to the US, so would it really solve anything for our country to do it.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I just had this conversation with my travel agent yesterday - Ebola on a cruise ship, my theory was that most people that had been in the situation of being exposed to Ebola wouldn't possibly put others at risk. Apparently, I might need to be corrected.

Does this mean I'm racing out to cancel my cruise? Nope. Does it mean I have travel insurance? Yes. Will I use caution? Of course. Like others have said, there are more risks in every day life...

My hope is that everyone will learn from this - the CDC, the cruise industry, fellow cruisers, etc. With any luck this is a false alarm with a valuable lesson attached to it.

I think that anyone who has been in contact with an Ebola patient or worked in direct contact with their bodily fluids should be on lock down - not self quarantine. They should be restricted to their homes with a guard to make sure that they don't leave. After 21 days and not getting sick they go back about their business. Self isolating doesn't work - just google Dr. Nancy Snyderman who promised to quarantine herself but then deciding to go out in public for soup. This sort of behavior from even a professional who should know better, is why this will continue to spread.

We need to close the US boarders now to anyone who is traveling from the infected countries - and anyone coming in should be checked for a fever - if they have one - no entry.

I think that anyone who has been in contact with an Ebola patient or worked in direct contact with their bodily fluids should be on lock down - not self quarantine. They should be restricted to their homes with a guard to make sure that they don't leave. After 21 days and not getting sick they go back about their business. Self isolating doesn't work - just google Dr. Nancy Snyderman who promised to quarantine herself but then deciding to go out in public for soup. This sort of behavior from even a professional who should know better, is why this will continue to spread.

We need to close the US boarders now to anyone who is traveling from the infected countries - and anyone coming in should be checked for a fever - if they have one - no entry.

I know what we can do, lets set up camps where we can send all the health care workers who are exposed to infectious disease. That way we can monitor their activities and protect everyone else.

So' date=' using this logic, no health care professional who treats a patient with any contagious/infectious condition, should be allowed to travel.[/quote']

This is a perfect illustration of our inability to reason and think through issuesI

Under NO circumstances, those exposed to a SERIOUS communicable or contagious disease, on a primary or secondary basis, should be allowed to engage in any activity which exposes themselves to a mass audience.

The penalties for err are too costly to consider.

An outbreak of substance could totally cripple the entire country.

No reason to panic, but no reason NOT to take substantial precautionary steps

to limit the probabilities of outbreak to a true minimum.

In my opinion, the CDC as well as the hospital underreacted. Any many others

also!

See how 10+ years of college in Statistics has tainted my brain.

I guess the sarcasm in my post was really lost. Let me try again. My attempt was to equate the fear mongers thoughts to the interment camps during WWII.

Nope, I caught your sarcasm and I know exactly what you were referring to. :D

This is a perfect illustration of our inability to reason and think through issuesI

Under NO circumstances, those exposed to a SERIOUS communicable or contagious disease, on a primary or secondary basis, should be allowed to engage in any activity which exposes themselves to a mass audience.

The penalties for err are too costly to consider.

An outbreak of substance could totally cripple the entire country.

No reason to panic, but no reason NOT to take substantial precautionary steps

to limit the probabilities of outbreak to a true minimum.

In my opinion, the CDC as well as the hospital underreacted. Any many others

also!

See how 10+ years of college in Statistics has tainted my brain.

Yep!

CaptDave

Nurses are not stupid. Nurses work around sick and infectious people everyday. What do you want them to do? Live in the hospital?

Have you never visited a sick child or had a sick kid at home and then went to work after being in the house with them.

:rolleyes:

No nurses are not stupid and our government is not giving them the guidelines that they should that has become obvious. Had the CKD asked that anyone with travel plans who worked in or around ebola, cancel them at least until their incubation period has ended, perhaps this nurse would have done so. Now, today the president hired am Ebola Czar with no medical education or background!!!

Then when something goes wrong the media and the government blame the nurses! Shame on them when the CDC is not doing its job and educating first responders and people in the medical field..

Edited by antsnanny

Let's first understand something here....

1) You do not have a "first hand" account of anything since you are not on the cruise ship.

2) You indicate that you "...typed out was exactly as it was reported on the news this AM." Since no reference to the news source was provided, I have less faith in what you have posted than I do of a mainstream news media.

3) I can provide links to other widely respected news sources all basically saying the same thing, which is that the health care worker is NOT showing signs of illness.

4) The cruise ship was NOT refused entry to Belize, only the passenger and travel companion on board the ship.

Honestly, I don't know what your intent was in making your post. However, it had the same effect on plenty of people all being left with the same impression, which is that you didn't get the facts right in your first post.

I have nothing further to add.

The following from NBC news indicates that many conflicting reports are being furnished by media sources. I would ot criticize anyone for posting what they believe is true.

Quote from NBC news article.

The Carnival Magic was being held off the coast of Belize Friday

This, to me, is the most telling tale from the Belizean Ministry of Health:

In a press conference held last weak, Belize’s Ministry of Health stated that in the event of an outbreak of Ebola in Belize, no patient would be allowed into the commercial capital Belize City, where most of the Belize government cabinet officials reside.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't believe it is appropriate to criticize other posters for passing on information the media has furnished.

NBC says the Magic is being held off the coast of Belize Friday ( today) while other sources including Carnival say the ship was denied entry to Cozumel and is heading straight for Galveston.

Edited by swedish weave

I have no intention of responding to your comments other than to say that it is time to take your head out of the sand and realize that your government, in this election year, will do everything in their power to make you feel that all is well and wonderful. Ebola is alive and well here in the US as well as around the world. Fact is, if you work in an industry where you are exposed you should stay quarantined for 21-25 days and not go on a cruise.
Wonder why people are not as up in arms about TB, there are approximately 10,000 cases each year in the US and is highly contagious. Are health care works that care of these patients guarantied as well?

I for one, am flying in 10 days to New Orleans and then in a month to go on a cruise and I'm more worried about catching a cold from those that pass their cold along to others or being trampled going to the buffet, than I am about getting Ebola.

Ebola is alive and well here in the US

Barely. There are a lot more prevalent diseases alive and well in the US and I don't spend my time fretting about them either. Didn't spend much time worrying about bird flew, swine flew, SARS and whatever other plagues-of-the-week I was supposed to lose sleep over.

Wonder why people are not as up in arms about TB, there are approximately 10,000 cases each year in the US and is highly contagious. Are health care works that care of these patients guarantied as well?

I for one, am flying in 10 days to New Orleans and then in a month to go on a cruise and I'm more worried about catching a cold from those that pass their cold along to others or being trampled going to the buffet, than I am about getting Ebola.

And how many of those who fill out the health forms when they check in at the cruise terminal will lie on the form? Very few people will admit to being ill and take a chance on being denied boarding. Nobody wants to miss their long awaited vacation and the hell with anyone who stands in their way. After all, they waited a long time for that cruise and its going to happen. If they infect their fellow travelers, so what, they won't see them again.

As for being worried about being trampled at the buffet, try the MDR.

Have a great cruise, and for your info, I too will be on a cruise in 5 weeks and while I have concerns about all health issues, I can accept the fact that it is real and have made the choice that all long as I am not the cause of spreading it I will continue on with life.

Barely. There are a lot more prevalent diseases alive and well in the US and I don't spend my time fretting about them either. Didn't spend much time worrying about bird flew, swine flew, SARS and whatever other plagues-of-the-week I was supposed to lose sleep over.

Because all of these can be treated at any medical/hospital in the country. Dallas is the 7th largest city in the US and there is no hospital set up to properly deal with Ebola. Hence the removal of the two patients this week to 'qualified' facilities. The longer they stayed, the more chances there were for mistakes that infected them in the first place.

Texas Health is where all of our family's Doctors practice at.

I'll be monitoring prices as this story builds. Am convinced that some will panic and cancel good cabins. Am on several Connie cruises in November and December and will look to up grade my cabin. Might be able to add a cruise at a really good rate. As I've said before: Panic=Opportunity in many areas.