Beyond livid with Latitudes

Melbourne84

Reading these posts has me thinking: What is the point of even having a Loyalty Program if your points can suddenly disappear or be deemed ineligible? This is a big part of my frustration and confusion, as well as being seemingly attacked as NOT loyal just because I don't cruise every year, and with NCL. I cruised NCL in the past, and even more important, I'm coming back to NCL, aren't I?

For example, I have several credit cards and I only use one on a daily basis. One is a department store card that I use maybe every 5 years? Yet I am not told I don't deserve or qualify for the promotions since I don't use that card ALL the time...I mean, isn't this the main issue? Besides NCL apparently having poor records management, of course.

Strangely enough, I can't find anywhere in the thread where someone said you had to cruise every year to be considered "loyal". Where exactly were you "seemingly attacked" for this specific reason?

I should be silver level, which gives benefits I'd ACTUALLY LIKE TO USE. I'm was unsure about trying NCL again after what I've heard (I'm loyal to Royal, husband wanted 'something new'), and now this.

On second thought, maybe the reason that people doubt your "loyalty" comes from something else completely . . .

Your statement above, coupled with the drama surrounding the issue makes this look more and more like a self-fulfilling prophecy at work.

On second thought, maybe the reason that people doubt your "loyalty" comes from something else completely . . .

Your statement above, coupled with the drama surrounding the issue makes this look more and more like a self-fulfilling prophecy at work.

:)

double_facepalm.jpg

I don't understand the outrage from the OP. My Spirit Airlines miles expire after 6 months if my account is inactive. My United Mileage Plus miles expire, as so my AAdvantage miles, if my account is inactive (I think for two years, but I'm not certain.) In fact, every single loyalty program I belong to will close my account if you are inactive for a set period of time. I don't expect my loyalty status to be maintained if I'm not an active participant of the program. Getting the points that you deserve is another matter, but I can understand why it might take some time to get those points credited.

I don't understand the outrage from the OP. My Spirit Airlines miles expire after 6 months if my account is inactive. My United Mileage Plus miles expire, as so my AAdvantage miles, if my account is inactive (I think for two years, but I'm not certain.) In fact, every single loyalty program I belong to will close my account if you are inactive for a set period of time. I don't expect my loyalty status to be maintained if I'm not an active participant of the program. Getting the points that you deserve is another matter, but I can understand why it might take some time to get those points credited.

OP is perhaps rightfully upset because the terms of NCL's loyalty program don't call for points to expire as is the case in the programs you mentioned.

I'll try not to speak for others, but I think the rub is in the OP's "outrage" -- it's just a small problem which needs to be dealt with as opposed to something requiring being "beyond livid" -- the world has not ended. The whole situation can be resolved without escalating to the level of having been robbed at gunpoint.

I have not sailed on Royal Caribbean since 2007, but last year I made it a point to get my loyalty status there updated by telling them the dates and the ship we were on, and a few weeks later all was well, so when we cruise in Asia with them in the future I won't bother getting beyond livid with them, even got an RCCL Mastercard to start racking up OBC

I have not sailed on Royal Caribbean since 2007, but last year I made it a point to get my loyalty status there updated by telling them the dates and the ship we were on, and a few weeks later all was well, so when we cruise in Asia with them in the future I won't bother getting beyond livid with them, even got an RCCL Mastercard to start racking up OBC

And when is your trip to Asia? Because maybe there lies the difference - You fixed it before months or year out before the trip and OP is trying to fix it practically 4-6 weeks before the trip.

Edited by maywell

OP is perhaps rightfully upset because the terms of NCL's loyalty program don't call for points to expire as is the case in the programs you mentioned.

I'll try not to speak for others, but I think the rub is in the OP's "outrage" -- it's just a small problem which needs to be dealt with as opposed to something requiring being "beyond livid" -- the world has not ended. The whole situation can be resolved without escalating to the level of having been robbed at gunpoint.

I agree.

The last "livid" pax I ran in to was in line behind me, checking out at Guest Services. There were no cue tips in their suite.:eek:

The dear lady was just "shaking" mad !

And when is your trip to Asia? Because maybe there lies the difference - You fixed it before months or year out before the trip and OP is trying to fix it practically 4-6 weeks before the trip.

Exactly. I have not even placed a deposit yet, will be going in 2016 or later.

Anyone who expects a company as big as NCL to have 10 year old records available immediately needs a reality check.

Exactly. I have not even placed a deposit yet, will be going in 2016 or later.

Anyone who expects a company as big as NCL to have 10 year old records available immediately needs a reality check.

Oh well good, I know I wasn't the only one think that as well - If I haven't used a company in like 1- 5 years or more and expecting them to remember me as customer under their old loyalty program I either 1) expect them to not fix it at all and let bygones be bygones or 2) fix the problem before putting any money down. Expecting any company of any size to look up something from more than 10 years in less than 3 weeks, is sure to guarantee failure to them - that's why if you have the paper proof or email confirmation from that time, it makes it super easy to fix the problem.

I am sorry that some took my thread title to mean I'm a screaming, shaking angry person over little things. I have never been so upset over a customer service issue as I have been with this one. I wasn't going to write a novel-length post explaining all the difficulties I've had with this cruise up until now, so I can see that it was my mistake to be overly sensitive about this issue.

I did not mention that I was yelled at (I am not exagerating) by the final rep I spoke to yesterday...thus adding to my disapopintment and frustration with NCL. I have never been treated that way for being firm, although I'm sure some will assume I raised my voice first or was unpleasant (you can be meek and get nothing or you can be firm and deemed a nightmare customer - sometimes you just can't win). The rep was simply fed up with being unable to answer my simple questions (like why I was credited for one cruise when I was under 18). TBH, any Crown and Anchor Qs I have had were answered within a week by Royal Caribbean, so I can only compare their service with NCL's. I don't buy that 'a company as large as NCL' should get a pass for not keeping good records or being able to fix issues in less than a month or more. I mean that sincerely. Internet posts, given without the advantage of tone of voice and body language, can be interpretted in a variety of ways, some good, many bad. I regret that my original post has been interpretted as the latter, although I still cannot understand some of the mocking and sarcasm of several comments.

That said, I'm done defending myself and will not be posting to this thread (unless asked a sincere question) and likely to Cruise Critic either. Thank you genuinely to all who had helpful answers. I wanted to enjoy this cruise despite what has happened so far (thus slightly tarnishing the vacation before it's even begun), and this entire thread was obviously a huge mistake.

FYI

About the under 18 thing.

Anyone under 18 does not get a latitudes status but you do accrue points.

When you turn 18 whatever points you have accumulated are released and you will be whatever status level the points show you at. SO it is possible on your first adult cruise as an 18 year old to be platinum status

Interesting how some are rationalizing NCL's poor records management as "business as usual" like they keep cruise histories on handwritten index cards or something.

Have you ever contacted a company you had a single, casual transaction with many years ago, only to have them verify, through the miracle of caller ID, your name and address?

Some months ago, I briefly visited NCL's website doing some preliminary research. By NO MEANS was I a regular visitor. Yet within an hour or 2, out of the blue I got a phone call from NCL asking if they could help me.

They were able to track me online without me providing ANY identifying info to their site, and contact me by phone, by NAME.

Indicates to me that their IT is pretty darn crackerjack when they want it to be, and expecting a prompt fix to a cruise history problem (after providing proper documentation) isn't unreasonable.

Interesting how some are rationalizing NCL's poor records management as "business as usual" like they keep cruise histories on handwritten index cards or something.

Have you ever contacted a company you had a single, casual transaction with many years ago, only to have them verify, through the miracle of caller ID, your name and address?

Some months ago, I briefly visited NCL's website doing some preliminary research. By NO MEANS was I a regular visitor. Yet within an hour or 2, out of the blue I got a phone call from NCL asking if they could help me.

They were able to track me online without me providing ANY identifying info to their site, and contact me by phone, by NAME.

Indicates to me that their IT is pretty darn crackerjack when they want it to be, and expecting a prompt fix to a cruise history problem (after providing proper documentation) isn't unreasonable.

Interesting in how you are attempting to explain something that is completely wrong. Until I retired ( and my DW is still there) we designed and installed telephone/computer systems for companies like this. In fact at one time, I don't know about now, NCL was one of our customers.

Because keeping records readily available slows the system down, we always designed and recommended the customer do regular backup, then store followed either by deletion or off site long term storage. Every time an agent does a search for a customer it takes a finite amount of timed. The more records, the longer the time. Until you reach a point that you can no longer service active on the phone now customers.

So typically. Daily backups, monthly archives and quarterly storage. After about a year of inactivity they go to secure off site storage. If a request is made for someone whose records have been placed in storage or long term off site storage, it takes a significant effort to retrieve the data. Several weeks is not out of the norm and is a bit expensive. The fact that NCL offers to do it at all says a lot in a positive way. It would be much easier and cheaper to say your cruise was outside the boundaries of what is allowed.

Getting a call back from an agent after you have visited a site is one of the easiest things to do with today's technology. It happened to me this week in looking at two websites for insurance. Within hours I got direct calls from both of them. Has nothing to do with the technology involved with this subject.

In addition, some companies, LL Bean is one, have systems that can handle long term record keeping on inactive accounts, but, there is a price to be paid for being able to do that.

Believe it or not, the majority of cruisers are one time wonders. I would hate to see the system trying to sort out today's problem while cruising through records of someone who did one cruise back in 1985. There are trade offs in technology, and this is one of them.

Interesting in how you are attempting to explain something that is completely wrong. Until I retired ( and my DW is still there) we designed and installed telephone/computer systems for companies like this. In fact at one time, I don't know about now, NCL was one of our customers.

Because keeping records readily available slows the system down, we always designed and recommended the customer do regular backup, then store followed either by deletion or off site long term storage. Every time an agent does a search for a customer it takes a finite amount of timed. The more records, the longer the time. Until you reach a point that you can no longer service active on the phone now customers.

So typically. Daily backups, monthly archives and quarterly storage. After about a year of inactivity they go to secure off site storage. If a request is made for someone whose records have been placed in storage or long term off site storage, it takes a significant effort to retrieve the data. Several weeks is not out of the norm and is a bit expensive. The fact that NCL offers to do it at all says a lot in a positive way. It would be much easier and cheaper to say your cruise was outside the boundaries of what is allowed.

Getting a call back from an agent after you have visited a site is one of the easiest things to do with today's technology. It happened to me this week in looking at two websites for insurance. Within hours I got direct calls from both of them. Has nothing to do with the technology involved with this subject.

In addition, some companies, LL Bean is one, have systems that can handle long term record keeping on inactive accounts, but, there is a price to be paid for being able to do that.

Believe it or not, the majority of cruisers are one time wonders. I would hate to see the system trying to sort out today's problem while cruising through records of someone who did one cruise back in 1985. There are trade offs in technology, and this is one of them.

What he said.

I'm still wondering what the Silver level benefits are that would make a tiny bit of difference in my cruise experience. It might matter for the OP, but it doesn't for me, and perhaps that's why people are not sympathetic.

The listing of benefits shows you get everything the Bronze level members get PLUS four things: 15% off photos, 15% off spa services, an invitation to the Latitudes Party with the ship's officers and a nightly chocolate in your room.

The value I see there is if you normally buy photos (which are overpriced in my opinion) or if you want to have a massage, etc. The Latitudes party pales in comparison to a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet (we've always gotten the same officers at both). And the M&G is free for everyone. The nightly chocolate is a little chocolate mint like you get after dinner at Olive Garden.

We don't use the spa or purchase the photos, so earning Silver status didn't mean anything to us. The only Gold status benefits that might make a difference for us is priority tender service. I check after each cruise to make sure we are awarded the points we deserve, but it's not that big a deal to me.

Finding the records is going to take NCL weeks, so you have to live with that. It may mean you never cruise with them again because the experience has soured you on them, and that's a cautionary tale for NCL to consider. You do have to realize that if the agent on the other end of the phone really is facing a technical hurdle in helping you ... retrieving the records takes weeks ... it isn't their fault. They are human, and someone asking the same question several times is extremely irritating, and they can react to that. They can see that you called yesterday, and the day before, and they have customers holding who have issues they CAN resolve, so the pressure increases for them.

You will probably be able to get it resolved, but the technical issue remains. Not all data is available all the time, and often it is on tape backup, stored offsite, and really does take time to get.

I had to read thread to figure out the "livid" part in the title

I do not think I have used that word my entire life

As been stated before you don't get much more with the point that were lost. Unless you are like some on these forums whose first words are to spout how many cruises they have been on or there social status on board ship or how the butler did not pucker up enough for them. Enjoy what you got, live your life and enjoy yourself

In this digital age, many people have learned the hard way that they should do the following:

1. Check credit card statement(s) for accuracy to determine if all the charges are genuine.

2. Check loyalty levels/points/status after each cruise is completed.

I understand the frustration. The Latitudes department is not the most efficient with NCL. Being silver is nice but there are not many perks that come with it. You will be invited to the Latitudes party that will entitle you to a few glasses of cheap wine. You will get some extra internet minutes if you purchase a package. And you will get a small discount on ship photography. That's about it. When you reach gold you will get priority tender which is great and platinum will get you a Le Bistro dinner. So don't let these small perks ruin your state of mind for your cruise.

Edited by david_sobe

Oh Melbourne84, at least check this site now and then, please.

I think the person that suggested you get the reservation number from your Mom’s records was right on. The cabin number would be a plus.

If you can get that number, they should be able to find you if you know your sail date - and maybe without it.

Also, if you find that number, do take it with you and try the Latitudes person on your ship.

They are usually very nice people.

If you ask nicely, they will usually do their best to right a bad situation.

Now, in the future, may I suggest that you keep the reservation number, sail date and cabin number from all cruises on all lines. Have a file for this on your computer and update it for each cruise.

Then any cruise line should be able to find you very easily.

And, now that you know what can happen, I suggest that you check after every cruise (maybe wait a couple of weeks) and make sure that your points were added. This is the time when you should easily take care of any missing points.

I am not criticizing nor am I standing up for NCL. I am just trying to make positive suggestions. I do love NCL and I have been fortunate to never have missing points. I did attain platinum in the middle of B2B cruises and the Lattitudes person on the ship, along with the person at the service desk were able to get my platinum in place between the two cruise. I did ask about it before we sailed & then again as soon as we got on the ship.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Don’t give up.

I think these points are very important for you.

Judy

• 4 months later...

My husband and I have friends that travel on other cruise ships that have great rewards when they get up their in points. From what we've been told, free alcohol when cruising, free laundry service and much much more. In my opinion, Norwegian is less expensive for cruising but has less perks or awards than what I've been told from other cruising friends that cruise on different lines. I like Norwegian because we can dress casual in dining areas and not have an assigned time to eat. That is really the only thing holding us back from switching but we might take a look at other ships.