Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

Well, I can't believe I am already waking up on my last full day aboard this beautiful ship. Where did the week go?!?

Here are a few more answers for you.

Schooner Bar = does have a fabulous piano player at night. He was much more delightful last night than karaoke below that in the Music Hall. :eek: All trivia was also held here and it's right next door to...

Focus (photo gallery) = Now this is where I feel they have made a vast improvement. It is completely electronic. No binders like Oasis class. No display walls where you can spend hours hunting yourself like older ships. No wasted photo paper! You just walk up to one of the many tablets, computer screens or wall-mounted TV's and scan your card or WOWband. From there you can order which photos you want AND you can choose them printed or electronic! If you are missing photos there is a way to search unassigned ones by date and time and have yours added to your account.

Circus School = it works like rock climbing. You see the hours in the compass and you go up, check in with your band or seapass, complete your waiver (if you haven't already done it electronically - I did mine on the TV in our stateroom) and then get in line. For trapeze we took our shoes off. They put a safety belt on you and give you a few pointers then send you up the ladder. When you are done, if you want to try again just go back in line. If you want more detailed instructions or to practice on the ground, just ask them. It's a great team of encouraging folks and one of the highlights of my trip.

The Grande = I do not remember seeing or hearing a piano playing. However, we had our CC group masquerade dinner that night, so between eating and visiting with 50+ people there very well could have been one and I just didn't notice!

Overall impressions = I really like this class of ship. I was not booked on Anthem but that will be changing after I get home! I love the Esplanade, the Solarium and Two70. The variety of sports activities is wonderful. I even like Dynamic Dining. My only thoughts there would be with limited menus that don't change, a longer voyage on this class might get a bit food monotonous or expensive eating in the pay restaurants. Also for solo travelers, being sat with a different group each night or even sat alone could be awkward. However, they did do a good job of posting in the compass a time and location for a solo travelers lunch, so I was happy to see that.

All in all, hiccups and everything, this has been a great and memorable cruise. That's thanks in large part to an outstanding group on our Roll Call. We planned some fun events of our own, and I have made some lifelong friends from this trip!

Tracy

The Quantum Dining Chart featured in post #1144 was actually posted on May 15 and was produced by CC Member BrianAlt http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42774058&postcount=122

Cruisenfever, lets be clear on this...I did NOT claim I 'produced' this DD chart!!!

IF YOU LOOK at the bottom page of this chart, it CLEARLY states Copyright info, Brian's email info and website. I asked Brian's permission if I can share his chart when he first posted this during the DD announcement then.

p.s.... I just wanted to help to LESSEN some of dining inquires!! If you knew about it, why didn't you post then?

Have a blast on your cruise and safe travels!!

Can you tell me if you toured a Family JS on the cabin crawl? I'm really hoping someone took pics! BTW thank you so much for spending your valuable vacation time with us all

Yes, we did, but I was not taking photos. A couple of others did, and perhaps they've posted on Shutterfly or FB or other blogs. It was one of my favorites on the Crawl, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The space and deck were luxurious like a Grand Suite and the two bathrooms were lovely. However, there was not a separate second bedroom, just fold out sofa and pullman above, in the same large room space as the main bed.

Edited by MindyJohn

What time is Quantum due into Cape Liberty on Monday?

We're being told onboard 6am.

Also, we got a notice they will be cleaning the balconies today, so they are spiffing her up for our arrival!

Tracy

Edited by SkyKingBNA

Has anyone tried just walking up to a free restaurant without a dinner reservation? If they did, where they able to get seated and how long was the wait? On Oasis there are monitors that tell you how busy the various restaurants are. Is there something like that on Quantum?

Hope all on board are enjoying their cruise. Thanks for being so free with your time and answering our plethora of questions! :)

We have walked up early to our reserved dining rooms and been seated immediately. Went to Coastal Kitchen last night and it was the best meal on the ship so far!

Solarium pools and hot tubs are 16 and up only. People still hogging chairs and cabanas with towels and books and leaving for hours.

I do miss VCL but love Two70!

Music Hall evening bands are FUN! Bartenders and servers awesome!

Sunrise this morning on our last day at sea. I am trying to stave off disembarkation depression. This was a really fun week with great new friends, on a breathtaking ship, with an incredible crew who displayed nothing but grace and class under pressure. Mad props to the Quantum and her crew!

1415543687955.jpg.e29e27dbddda46ec0b8190cdb23c2699.jpg

Hello All.

Sorry to be a pain, could someone let me know if the Royal IQ on board is free to use or part of an internet package? Apologies if already posted elsewhere.

Many Thanks

Paul

I am eagerly awaiting the response to this question as well. Thank you!

Joanna - thanks for taking the time to upload all the pics of this cruise, especially your superior grand suite. One last request if you have time - please take a pic of either of the entrances to the bathroom to see the configuration - great shots before - but from back further to see both sinks and tub to see how set up since RCI still does not have this on the website. Your suite looks amazing - and thanks for the advice about the coffee table - will have to be careful about that in March! Once again - thanks for all your pics - MOST appreciated - have a safe trip home!

Hello All.

Sorry to be a pain, could someone let me know if the Royal IQ on board is free to use or part of an internet package? Apologies if already posted elsewhere.

Many Thanks

Paul

Looks as if it is not free - found this on RCI's website:

With Royal iQ, you're only a phone call or text away from friends and family, whether they're onboard or wishing they were onboard. Once you download the app, you'll receive your own unique onboard number.

For a nominal fee, Royal iQ offers unlimited calling and texting to anyone onboard who has a Royal iQ communication package. Plus, you can take advantage of crystal clear outgoing (ship-to-shore) and incoming (shore-to-ship) calls, billed at a per-minute rate.

Cruisenfever, lets be clear on this...I did NOT claim I 'produced' this DD chart!!!

IF YOU LOOK at the bottom page of this chart, it CLEARLY states Copyright info, Brian's email info and website. I asked Brian's permission if I can share his chart when he first posted this during the DD announcement then.

p.s.... I just wanted to help to LESSEN some of dining inquires!! If you knew about it, why didn't you post then?

Have a blast on your cruise and safe travels!!

I never said that you produced the chart. Sorry if you misunderstood my post.:o

His chart, has been posted many times since May 15 and is incorporated in many threads about Q.

Looks as if it is not free - found this on RCI's website:

With Royal iQ, you're only a phone call or text away from friends and family, whether they're onboard or wishing they were onboard. Once you download the app, you'll receive your own unique onboard number.

For a nominal fee, Royal iQ offers unlimited calling and texting to anyone onboard who has a Royal iQ communication package. Plus, you can take advantage of crystal clear outgoing (ship-to-shore) and incoming (shore-to-ship) calls, billed at a per-minute rate.

The charge I've heard is only for onboard communication, it's free to use the other planning functions, booking system and cruise compass

Yes, we did, but I was not taking photos. A couple of others did, and perhaps they've posted on Shutterfly or FB or other blogs. It was one of my favorites on the Crawl, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The space and deck were luxurious like a Grand Suite and the two bathrooms were lovely. However, there was not a separate second bedroom, just fold out sofa and pullman above, in the same large room space as the main bed.

Thank you......I'm hoping someone will have pics. No more walk in closet though right because of the 1 1/2 baths?

Haven't heard anything regarding Sonic Odyssey, can anyone that has seen this show give us a report?

It's not on our cruise but is being set up for the next cruise now. The cast is ready ( same cast as Mama Mia) so it should be available soon.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If You bought the Internet package what did you change your settings to in your iPhone?

Also if you used Royal IQ only how did you configure your iPhone? I think you turn off fetch data but not sure of everything. Don't want to get charged for picking up royals satellite.

Thanks

If You bought the Internet package what did you change your settings to in your iPhone?

Also if you used Royal IQ only how did you configure your iPhone? I think you turn off fetch data but not sure of everything. Don't want to get charged for picking up royals satellite.

Thanks

If you want to ensure that you get no charges from your cell carrier while on the ship, then put the phone in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. This ensures only WiFi is on and you can use the internet package on the ship without incurring any cell carrier charges.

For anyone who is choosing that carry their own luggage and go straight to the Newark Airport by Taxi, can you please let me know what time you got to the airport. My cruise arrives at 7:00 and my flight is at 10:30 (should be at the airport at 8:30). Leaves me 1.5 hours to get there. I just want to make sure that's fine or if I should rebook I (rebooking will cost me at least $400 so I would like to avoid that).

Edited by RCfuncruiser10
Added a title

For anyone who is choosing that carry their own luggage and go straight to the Newark Airport by Taxi, can you please let me know what time you got to the airport. My cruise arrives at 7:00 and my flight is at 10:30 (should be at the airport at 8:30). Leaves me 1.5 hours to get there. I just want to make sure that's fine or if I should rebook I (rebooking will cost me at least $400 so I would like to avoid that).

Just a word of caution.......but ship's arrival time does not mean that that will be the time you can disembark. If there are no delays and ship is cleared quickly, debarkation could start as early as 7:30 or as late as 8:30-9. Then you must go through Customs and Immigration prior to leaving the port and then TSA once at the airport.

Time from port to airport is approximately 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. IMHO, I would never book that early of a flight.