Dynamic Dining

What is "Dynamic Dining"? I am used to, and prefer, traditional dining but know this is fast becoming a thing of the past. Thus, what IS Dynamic Dining, how does it work? I'm going on another RCL cruise in either January or February, probably traveling solo, and am trying to figure out my dining room options/approach/solutions. Thanks.

What is "Dynamic Dining"? I am used to, and prefer, traditional dining but know this is fast becoming a thing of the past. Thus, what IS Dynamic Dining, how does it work? I'm going on another RCL cruise in either January or February, probably traveling solo, and am trying to figure out my dining room options/approach/solutions. Thanks.

This pdf will describe it for you. It is being introduced on Quantum class ships and Oasis is being converted to it during its current dry dock with plans to roll it out in the spring. Allure is expected to follow and there has been discussion of it possibly being added to Freedom this January.

It will be an expansion of MTD that will eliminate the traditional early / late seatings and will offer several smaller dining rooms with new menus for each venue v. the current large MDR.

If you do a search there have been many threads discussing this in recent months that will provide additional information for you.

1396036808_v1Culinary-Press-Release-FINAL-32414 (1).pdf

Edited by leaveitallbehind

This pdf will describe it for you. It is being introduced on Quantum class ships and Oasis is being converted to it during its current dry dock with plans to roll it out in the spring. Allure is expected to follow and there has been discussion of it possibly being added to Freedom this January.

It will be an expansion of MTD that will eliminate the traditional early / late seatings and will offer several smaller dining rooms with new menus for each venue v. the current large MDR.

If you do a search there have been many threads discussing this in recent months that will provide additional information for you.

However, Royal just recently released a Q&A about Dynamic Dining and they made a point to say that Freedom will not be getting Dynamic Dining.

Is there any hope that it will be eventually rolled out to all of the ships? We would prefer to have more of the no fee options that this seems to provide.

With the clear caveat that I have no knowledge of any RCI plans surrounding DD, I can only say what I have heard. Adam Goldstein in a webcast last spring indicated that they wanted to prove the concept first with Quantum class with roll outs to follow most likely with new builds first and ships such as Oasis class, where the infrastructure and space could support the additional restaurants. Clearly they have accelerated plans with existing Oasis class ships.

But he also indicated that with the recent refurbishment program nearly completed it would be significant new project and investment to those ships now completed to then add DD to them. As RCI follows as standard 5-year dry dock schedule for its ships, it would seem that would at least be a driving constraint with timing on additional conversions.

He also said that many of the smaller ship classes could not easily support the venues necessary (based at least on the Quantum class concept) due to space limitations.

Clearly everything is subject to change and what was said last spring could be completely different in realty. But it would seem unlikely that it would be rolled out to all ships - at least not short term - and that perhaps two systems would be in place: DD for some ships (most likely the largest ship classes) and the current traditional / MTD mix for the rest.

But then again, who knows? Not sure RCI does for certain at this point!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

But also gain a number of other cruisers - I far prefer the idea of multiple venues, clearer dress codes, and the elimination of TD (because it's existence means that all the shows etc get arranged around it, and those dining between get much less!).

Knowing that there are people who disagree, I don't personally want it enforced on you guys who don't like the idea, and am sorry that your experience is being negatively affected. However, that doesn't change the fact that DD may attract a new cruising group - for example a lot of my friends are now thinking more about cruising.

But also gain a number of other cruisers - I far prefer the idea of multiple venues, clearer dress codes, and the elimination of TD (because it's existence means that all the shows etc get arranged around it, and those dining between get much less!).

Knowing that there are people who disagree, I don't personally want it enforced on you guys who don't like the idea, and am sorry that your experience is being negatively affected. However, that doesn't change the fact that DD may attract a new cruising group - for example a lot of my friends are now thinking more about cruising.

Exactly...over the years, every time RCI has made a policy change, as was the case with the C&A points, there are those who say they will never cruise again and it will be the downfall of RCI.....yet here we are, the industry is as busy as ever, rolling out new ships and continuing to make new changes....

RCI is a big business, and whether I like it or not, they do know what they're doing and have their reasons for doing it.....

Dynamic Dining is just one more new innovation, and there will be more as time goes on.

I don't care for bumper cars, or roller skating, carousels, and other things I feel have nothing to do with being on a ship on the open sea....but many other people obviously do....so they will continue in that direction...

I would not be surprised, in the years to come, the pay as you go eating venues far out number the free venues....and they will start selling pre-paid dining plans.....

Edited by B-52

Has anyone heard how DD will affect or impact My Family Time Dining? This is where it is scheduled with early main seating and they expedite children's meals so that the children can meet with the Adventure Ocean staff outside the dining room? We really liked that as the children could still have dinner with us, but leave early to go to Adventure Ocean, and we did not have to leave for a period to run them up to AO during the dinner.

Thanks.

Has anyone heard how DD will affect or impact My Family Time Dining? This is where it is scheduled with early main seating and they expedite children's meals so that the children can meet with the Adventure Ocean staff outside the dining room? We really liked that as the children could still have dinner with us, but leave early to go to Adventure Ocean, and we did not have to leave for a period to run them up to AO during the dinner.

Thanks.

I can only speculate and feel that it would be impossible since people will be dining in different venues at different times. Not sure if they have enough staff to cover the different venues. But, who knows, they might find a way to make it work.

As for DD, in the past year and a half, I've been on a 4, 3, 5, 4 and 7 nightes on 4 different ships and it'd gotten to the point where the MDR has become too predictable. Each menu has 1, maybe 2 entrees that interest me, and you more or less get the same menus in the same order (ocassionally they might flip nights on some of them).

I have a 4 night coming up in December, and I can already tell you that on the first night I'll be ordering the prime rib and on formal night the duck. I find that sad.

I think that is part of what makes the specialty restaurants so appealing, especially to some repeat cruisers. I like Chops. I like Izumi. I like Portofino. I've not tried any of the others yet. I, for one, am looking forward to having restaurant choices that are included in the cruise fare. Different menus, different atmospheres. Every night.

The key to being successful is going to be a working reservation system. I just hope they don't put the web folks in charge of building that out. :D

I think RCI will lose a large number of customers with this concept. .

I think they will continue to fill up the ships.

We haven't used MDR for three years, got so tired of the "same table, same waiter, same bread and salad........routine". I know lots of people love it be we just burned out on it. I doubt DD will negatively impact RCCL. Even though there are many fans of the old dining system, many of the newer ones could probably care less.

Exactly...over the years, every time RCI has made a policy change, as was the case with the C&A points, there are those who say they will never cruise again and it will be the downfall of RCI.....yet here we are, the industry is as busy as ever, rolling out new ships and continuing to make new changes....

RCI is a big business, and whether I like it or not, they do know what they're doing and have their reasons for doing it.....

Dynamic Dining is just one more new innovation, and there will be more as time goes on.

I don't care for bumper cars, or roller skating, carousels, and other things I feel have nothing to do with being on a ship on the open sea....but many other people obviously do....so they will continue in that direction...

I would not be surprised, in the years to come, the pay as you go eating venues far out number the free venues....and they will start selling pre-paid dining plans.....

We shall see,we want no part of dynamic dining.and will not sail with it in place.:)

We shall see,we want no part of dynamic dining.and will not sail with it in place.:)

Then I guess you won't be sailing Oasis or Allure. And Quantum, Anthem, and Ovation are off of your to do list. Your available ships will be diminishing over time.

Sometimes big business gets more respect than it deserves. Coke blew it with new coke and many other failures have been rolled out from different companies.

My concern with DD is if 50% of passengers really like a certain menu (restaurant) but the size of the restaurant only allows service to 25% of the passengers. You will have a bunch of people who will have to eat elsewhere and will not be pleased about it.

For example, the Asian themed offering is one I would not like. Not a fan of that style food. But if I did not know about DD before sailing and when I tried to reserve a seating time elsewhere it could well be the only choice left would be one I don't want.

We will have to wait and see how well they tested tastes of passengers to have everyone spread out by choice, not for the convenience of Royal.

Does anyone know if they will be implementing the allergy accommodations currently available in MDR with Dynamic Dining?

DH is severely allergic to nuts and shellfish, and in the MDR, our waiter generally brings him the menu for the next day, so he can order in advance and they can make sure his food is safe for him! I would feel much better about trying the DD concept if I knew this would be available to him!

Does anyone know if they will be implementing the allergy accommodations currently available in MDR with Dynamic Dining?

DH is severely allergic to nuts and shellfish, and in the MDR, our waiter generally brings him the menu for the next day, so he can order in advance and they can make sure his food is safe for him! I would feel much better about trying the DD concept if I knew this would be available to him!

Since the menus do not change from night to night, it should be rather easy to do this.

Scroll down to post #6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43942120#post43942120

Sometimes big business gets more respect than it deserves. Coke blew it with new coke and many other failures have been rolled out from different companies.

My concern with DD is if 50% of passengers really like a certain menu (restaurant) but the size of the restaurant only allows service to 25% of the passengers. You will have a bunch of people who will have to eat elsewhere and will not be pleased about it.

For example, the Asian themed offering is one I would not like. Not a fan of that style food. But if I did not know about DD before sailing and when I tried to reserve a seating time elsewhere it could well be the only choice left would be one I don't want.

We will have to wait and see how well they tested tastes of passengers to have everyone spread out by choice, not for the convenience of Royal.

And how many choices do you have under the current dining set up with only a main dining room with a set menu on an evening when no items appealed to you - and believe me I have occasionally seen such menus and have opted in those instances to dine in a specialty restaurant. The only complimentary option you would have is the Windjammer and with Dynamic Dining, that choice is still available.

I think some people are over-reacting and it might be a good idea to see DD in action before deciding on its success or failure. If it is generally succcessful, the complaints should disappear and if it is a spectacular failure why don't you think that RCI would make the necessary changes.

New Coke was a disaster but to its credit, Coca Cola corporation quickly recognized their error and returned to the original formula. I have to believe that RCI can be similarly flexible.