Upgrade??? Not So Much

sawtooth

Received an upgrade offer from our carefully chosen cabin on the Golden. We chose a balcony cabin on Caribe deck for the bigger balcony. It is aft, which is okay for us.

Princess today, sent an upgrade to a balcony midship on Baja deck.

I called almost immediately to request that we get our original type cabin back.

Unless they'd like to put us in a mini I prefer the Caribe balcony for it's larger balcony.

Agent said no problem. Give it a couple of days and should show up on cruise personalizer.

Should I trust him, or should I call again tomorrow.

BTW, my original choice still does show up as unsold, as many many cabins on this sailing do.

I know the feeling as I have been through it myself and it can be very stressful and distressing to be told "you will have to wait and see"

My bet is you will get your cabin back. However you need to be persistent with them as it is highly likely that your cabin has already been allocated to someone else. (Don't believe others when they say they have to hold it), I learnt just this August that the moment Princess gives you an automatic upgrade that your original cabin is allocated to someone else. When I turned up on the Diamond Princess someone else's name was on my cabin, the beds were wrong and I had their suitcases delivered. I was fortunate enough to decline an unwanted upgrade and get my original cabin back.

My personal thoughts on upgrades is that Princess needs to abolish this ridiculous practice or amend it. They are treating it like a "shuffle" or some sort of game. If they seriously want to upgrade someone as they have a shortage of cabins then they should make it a worthwhile upgrade. In many cases upgrades are a way to get people out of desirable cabins, force them into a higher category that is somewhat inferior, unwanted or disliked by passengers.

I think you will get your cabin back.

Also follow up with an email to as many departments as possible demanding your cabin back just so there is an official record you have requested it and not just the word of the phone consultant.

Received an upgrade offer from our carefully chosen cabin on the Golden. We chose a balcony cabin on Caribe deck for the bigger balcony. It is aft, which is okay for us.

Princess today, sent an upgrade to a balcony midship on Baja deck.

I called almost immediately to request that we get our original type cabin back.

Unless they'd like to put us in a mini I prefer the Caribe balcony for it's larger balcony.

Agent said no problem. Give it a couple of days and should show up on cruise personalizer.

Should I trust him, or should I call again tomorrow.

BTW, my original choice still does show up as unsold, as many many cabins on this sailing do.

That also happened to us but a far worse cabin! Under the Lido deck and directly under MUTS (movies under the stars)! We were dummies the first time around, the next time they pulled that on us, I was on the phone lickty split and demanded that they give us our old cabin back. From that time on we always say "no upgrades" unless it's the owner's suite!:D

Thanks to all of your advice I called back and got another agent who immediately changed us back to our original cabin. She didn't understand why the first agent did not do this. I mentioned that the only upgrade I might entertain would be to a mini (she chucked). Since the ship seems so empty I thought they might be wanting to cluster people in a certain area.

Thanks to all of your advice I called back and got another agent who immediately changed us back to our original cabin. She didn't understand why the first agent did not do this. I mentioned that the only upgrade I might entertain would be to a mini (she chucked). Since the ship seems so empty I thought they might be wanting to cluster people in a certain area.

It never hurts to ask.:) Happy it all worked out for you.

She should have not chuckled and instead marked your booking to "upgrade to next cabin type only", otherwise known as a meta upgrade.

I never heard that one before. They upgraded me from inside to obstructed ocean view right over the theater and as far forward as you could get.

So do I understand you to say that I can be specific as to what upgrade I will accept.?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never heard that one before. They upgraded me from inside to obstructed ocean view right over the theater and as far forward as you could get.

So do I understand you to say that I can be specific as to what upgrade I will accept?

You have two choices: "Will accept an upgrade" which means you'll accept any kind of upgrade as long as it's one category better; or, "Meta upgrade only" which means an upgrade from one cabin type to another, such as inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony, balcony to mini-suite, etc. A meta upgrade cannot be more specific than that. As always, you're leaving it up to Princess to decide where your cabin will be.

The problem is exactly the same as with P&O so obviously a Carnival rule but to be honest if we have picked a cabin, sorry stateroom, that we are happy with we say no to upgrade. The problem is its human nature that people want an upgrade if it suits them or is to a mini suite or suite but not if its an upgrade to anything else. Unfortunately you cant have both either no to upgrade or run the risk of being "upgraded" to a stateroom you are not happy with but in terms an upgrade.

I'm glad you got your original cabin back.

That made me try to remember how we use to book a cruise in the 80's. I don't remember if there was too much of a selection as there is now. I do know there were not any balconies!:eek:

I also remember it being much more formal for dinner and much more costly. I think we had separate beds (twins) and not too fancy of a cabin either. Porthole to look out. SS Azure Seas out of Los Angeles.

Wow! How has time changed things - for the better I believe! ;)