How would Pacific Princess to Alaska compare?

dcsam

In this case, it is not even close...Princess wins hands down as the best option with which to visit Alaska... Oceania isn't even in the game as it can not take its passengers to the heart of the real Alaska

Go princess if you don't want Holland.... They both have the golden ticket that others can not get.

I cannot disagree with you more.

Glacier Bay is certainly an impressive experience, but lets not forget that it represents a single morning or afternoon of an Alaska cruise, and that during the rest of the voyage one will also have viewed a plethora of snowcapped mountain ranges, as well as ice formations of every description, and that visiting a glacier at close range will be a Shorex option at nearly every port.

In short, the decision to give up an entire voyage worth of Oceania's far superior food, service and general ambience, in exchange for four hours of anything, may be a false economy.

I know that I personally, would never make the trade.....:cool:

Edited by StanandJim

Glacier Bay is certainly an impressive experience, but lets not forget that it represents a single morning or afternoon of an Alaska cruise, and that during the rest of the voyage one will also have viewed a plethora of snowcapped mountain ranges, as well as ice formations of every description, and that visiting a glacier at close range will be a Shorex option at nearly every port.

In short, the decision to give up an entire voyage worth of Oceania's far superior food, service and general ambience, in exchange for four hours of anything, may be a false economy.

Hmm, interesting point. I'm hoping for a reasoned rebuttal from Dan, since I tend to agree. He has mentioned things like superior viewing area on the ship, for instance.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We took the Pacific Princess on an Alaskan cruise before Oceania went to Alaska. We were hooked on the small ship concept and so thought the PP would be a good fit for us. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't Oceania. Of course, that was maybe 8 or 9 years ago, so she may have changed by now - better OR worse! We just felt that the food and service were a little lacking compared to Oceania, but I wouldn't say it was a horrible experience, just not nearly as nice a one as on Oceania.

Of course, now the small O ships have some nice things that didn't exist 8 or 9 years ago, so I would guess the scale would definitely be tipped more toward O for me now, even though Oceania (maybe) costs more. We love the new grill on Regatta, Insignia and the other small ship, as we can get great prepared to order food and still sit out back for dinner as we often like to do. (Not sure if you would do that in Alaska, though!) The smaller ships have also been refurbished recently, so unless the Princess ship has, too, that is another plus for O. However, in the end, you'll likely go to the same or similar places in Alaska, so whether it's worth the extra money to go on O, I can't tell you. Keep in mind, though, that the price of O is a lot better than you might imagine when you add up how much all the other things you get from it - usually air fare (which for us at the time and where we live was pretty expensive), special restaurants, etc. They usually also throw in gratuities to sweeten the deal, although we can usually get those from our travel agent, so that's not a big deal. There are some intangibles about Oceania that matter to me, but maybe not to others. For example, I truly believe that O's customer service, and how they listen and respond to customers, is awesome. They are always improving, and taking comments to heart, which is one of those rather intangible, hard to quantify pluses.

On either line, I'm sure you're find Alaska incredible. We went at the end of the season (September) and loved it, even though the Pacific Princess wasn't as fabulous as an Oceania experience would have been. To me, the destinations are of utmost importance.

Edited by roothy123

Again your right for what you see as what you want from the cruise ...but also wrong too.

As I said, you go either for the ship or the Alaskan experience and connection.

Clearly, your focus on ambiance, food, places you on the ship experience as a priority and the landscape while nice is frosting on the posh environment.

My view is simply the ship is a distant 3rd or 4th priority ...

I on the other hand, for the region, place the land as a priority. You spend a good 8-9 hours in Glacier Bay not 4. You can get a posh ship experience anywhere and any time. However, there are regions where it would to me be folly to place such importance on something so temporary and something so narrow in focus

I also place a high priority on interpretation of the natural history Princess brings onboard National Park Naturalists, actually a team of them roving the deck and also delivering programs.. connecting and making individual contact with the passengers.... very personal and of a quality you will not find on any but NCL.HAL and Princess ships. That alone is a key factor on my choice.

I have heard Oceainas attempt at natural history and while well meaning, falls well below the NPS bar

Its my feeling thus is that its a terrible waste of what could be a life changing experience to confine your exploration and the potential it could have been based on just ambiance and creature comfort.

But hey, we all make choices and believe in them.

In this case I have in the past explored your world of luxury,...but have you explored my world from my perspective? You might be surprised.

The way I read this, the OP wanted a comparison between two former Renaissance ships, one owned by Princess, one by Oceania. Obviously the viewing decks from the two ships are identical. I did not understand from the question that the OP wanted a comparison of the itineraries, but rather a comparison of the ships' amenities and what is included in the fare. The reference point from his/her previous ship experience is Azamara.

Personally, I would hesitate to book an 'old' ship run by Princess. We were not happy on one of the aged Princess ships. The wooden deck planks came up at one place etc. No need to elaborate more. When was the Pacific Princess' last refurbishment? That would be one of my important deciding factors.

Along those lines, I used to think that how new a ship was wouldn't matter to me. However, after many cruises on Oceania, plus the one Pacific Princess cruise, I took a cruise on a different line that seemed pretty popular. I was surprised to learn that the newness of the ship, including the outside areas, really DID matter to me. The cleanliness of the ship also mattered.

When we cruised on the Pacific Princess, we went to Hubbard Glacier, not Glacier Bay. I agree that itinerary is very important. However, I can't imagine there is a huge difference between Glacier Bay and Hubbard - but who knows? I haven't been to both! I'm attaching a couple pictures of people enjoying Hubbard Glacier. (And yes, visibility certainly would have been the same as one of the smaller Oceania ships, as the ships are the same.)

I do think that if you want to add a land package (the park), some cruise lines can do this and some can't, so that might be a consideration in choosing one cruise line or another.

1469462254_hubwsomeice8737.jpg.c746eefb92d82f2dfa643882e106980a.jpg

971446260_hubglacbrearviewgaz_8736.jpg.e61a94e0b0d2a59f594e83d323e6e408.jpg

Edited by roothy123

I have heard Oceainas attempt at natural history and while well meaning, falls well below the NPS bar

How about Regent in Alaska? I thought that Terry Breen did a great job of "colour commentary". She's written a book on Alaska, after all. She was on a few Oceania trips up there too, as I remember, although she obviously can't be on both lines at once and I believe Regent still monopolizes her.

I do not know Dr Breen but did some research... I also listened to some of her videos as to her style and content.

She uses a "teacher student" lesson plan much like that she learned in her academic training. Her methodology is much like the travel log.. Being a good scientist and one familiar with the region, does not guarantee one is good at being an interpreter of it

That is not the accepted standard of natural history interpretation today, wherein the speaker connects the listener through emotion a and their cultural sensitivities to the place to derive meaning not just learn facts. In this method, people choose what is and what is not important to them and value that connection as personal.

Totally un like a teacher. I good interpreter will not so much give answers but will provide provoking thoughts for people to get their own answer , ones that possess personal emotional connections. ( And indeed there may be many levels of emotion that the visitor will or can connect)

This is the model used by the National Park Service and which rose out of Dr Freeman Tilden's original works and recently By Dr Sam Ham.

Dr Breens talks are , from my brief observation, pretty much of the student teacher lecture than you got in college It deals with tangible facts but does not delve into the intangible values and meanings the a subject may not facts! present. Moreover, she appears not to explore the personal universal values or meanings of these tangible and intangible topics might present.

From experience, Dr Breens presentations seem pleasant and nothing wrong with them on the level she presents.

I do think she could probable improve her value to her audience if she learned the skills and art of interpretation.... and stopped "teaching"

I would take the NPS interpreters who come on board in a team any day of the week over her. I would take a ship that has access to them and delivers that level of emotional experience . And yes Princess in Glacier bay is a huge thing . Id cruise for 7 days on a tug boat eating spam and peanut butter sandwiches.. for 8-10 hours in the bay....

As to Hubbard Glacier compared to Glacier Bays 13+ glaciers, and concluding how can in be much different. That's to say why see Zion if I went to the Grand Canyon... Sort of follows the "if you seen one you seen em all" which is excusable until you thing it through....

SO, I close with asking what is it that makes you want to visit Alaska, and when it is all over what is it that you want not to just take home with but discover......

Hawaiidan: You are certainly pushing Princess pretty hard. While I have no doubt that it provides the type of experience that you seek, not everyone is looking for that type of experience. Although we have been to Alaska three times, if I wanted the type of experience you describe, I would take an expedition ship or do a excursion such as this one http://www.alaskatours.com/alaska_national_parks/glacier_bay_national_park/index.aspx . I'm a bit different...... I'll rough it all day -- get in the snow -- the mud or whatever but want a shower in a luxurious suite, dinner in a upscale dining venue and to be able to sleep in a great bed. Princess simply won't do it for us. I do recognize that others do not feel the same as I do.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm a bit different...... I'll rough it all day -- get in the snow -- the mud or whatever but want a shower in a luxurious suite, dinner in a upscale dining venue and to be able to sleep in a great bed. Princess simply won't do it for us.

Thank you! Our thoughts exactly.

-By the way, it has been our experience that people who travel in style, and tour at a pleasurable, enjoyable pace never seem to run out of new places to visit.

The Chicken without a head contingent, are forever begging for "new" ports.

I do not know Dr Breen but did some research... I also listened to some of her videos as to her style and content.

She uses a "teacher student" lesson plan much like that she learned in her academic training. Her methodology is much like the travel log.. Being a good scientist and one familiar with the region, does not guarantee one is good at being an interpreter of it

That is not the accepted standard of natural history interpretation today, wherein the speaker connects the listener through emotion a and their cultural sensitivities to the place to derive meaning not just learn facts. In this method, people choose what is and what is not important to them and value that connection as personal.

Totally un like a teacher. I good interpreter will not so much give answers but will provide provoking thoughts for people to get their own answer , ones that possess personal emotional connections. ( And indeed there may be many levels of emotion that the visitor will or can connect)

This is the model used by the National Park Service and which rose out of Dr Freeman Tilden's original works and recently By Dr Sam Ham.

Dr Breens talks are , from my brief observation, pretty much of the student teacher lecture than you got in college It deals with tangible facts but does not delve into the intangible values and meanings the a subject may not facts! present. Moreover, she appears not to explore the personal universal values or meanings of these tangible and intangible topics might present.

From experience, Dr Breens presentations seem pleasant and nothing wrong with them on the level she presents.

I do think she could probable improve her value to her audience if she learned the skills and art of interpretation.... and stopped "teaching"

I would take the NPS interpreters who come on board in a team any day of the week over her. I would take a ship that has access to them and delivers that level of emotional experience . And yes Princess in Glacier bay is a huge thing . Id cruise for 7 days on a tug boat eating spam and peanut butter sandwiches.. for 8-10 hours in the bay....

As to Hubbard Glacier compared to Glacier Bays 13+ glaciers, and concluding how can in be much different. That's to say why see Zion if I went to the Grand Canyon... Sort of follows the "if you seen one you seen em all" which is excusable until you thing it through....

SO, I close with asking what is it that makes you want to visit Alaska, and when it is all over what is it that you want not to just take home with but discover......

Although I have not sailed with Dr. Breen, those that have seem to respect her knowledge and like her lectures.

I would not presume to critique her knowledge or style of presentation without experiencing one of her lectures, not just watching videos.

By the way the Grand Canyon is vastly different from Zion NP and hardly comparable while several glaciers and a single glacier are quite similar!

She uses a "teacher student" lesson plan much like that she learned in her academic training. ...[blah, blah, blah]...

Okay, I give. I'm crying "uncle". You can stop now.

Original poster here. Thank you all for your helpful input. We have cruised Alaska about a dozen times with the mass market cruise lines. Our favorite itinerary (thus far) is with HAL B2B from Vancouver up to Seward and back. We also worked as skipper/crew in a couple Southeast AK fishing lodges. We enjoy sitting on the back deck with a blanket, glass of wine, a few munchies and enjoy the scenery while being outside. We're not into all the fufy-ness and indoor activities. Still... It's nice to be pampered and enjoy nice amenities. Oceania is certainly a cruise line I'd like to try. Guess I'll wait and see what promotions pop up as the Alaska cruise season approaches and base our decision on that.

Again, thank you.

Beauty is in fact in the eye of the beholder. Traveling in style leaves a lot to be wondered about as to what" is" style...

Is style a flag to wave over over one wh0 you feel superior too......let them eat cake....? I don't know...

At what point does "style" supplant reality and become thus ego......one must wonder........... and does ones desire for "style" become an expression often achieved by looking in the mirror.

The concept that style trumps reality needs to be explored..... which would you choose....

Just a side note: While we enjoy HAL very much, we much prefer their smaller, older vessels - tried the Oosterdam and didn't like. Also, I realize cruising out of Seattle is a much different experience than cruising out of Vancouver. So we'll consider that.

For us, cruising is about being outside as much as possible; experiencing the local culture; good food; casual and intimate atmosphere and good service. I see Oceania has a 'special' on their Alaska May sailing (I think it's the 28th or 29th). Since we have flexibility in our schedule and we're able to drive to either port (Seattle or Vancouver), waiting is probably a good thing to do.

Again... thanks so much.

Edited by dcsam

Just a side note: While we enjoy HAL very much, we much prefer their smaller, older vessels - tried the Oosterdam and didn't like. Also, I realize cruising out of Seattle is a much different experience than cruising out of Vancouver. So we'll consider that.

For us, cruising is about being outside as much as possible; experiencing the local culture; good food; casual and intimate atmosphere and good service. I see Oceania has a 'special' on their Alaska May sailing (I think it's the 28th or 29th). Since we have flexibility in our schedule and we're able to drive to either port (Seattle or Vancouver), waiting is probably a good thing to do.

Again... thanks so much.

If you should happen to find yourself in Vancouver pre-cruise and want a nice hotel, we stayed at one that was rather unusual. Most of the rooms were corner rooms, up high, with big glass windows on two sides - obviously not something everyone would enjoy, but we sure did! It was in a good location and reasonably priced.