Eggs with Brown Shells

miched

If not already noted its the fee they feed the hens on that determines the shell colour...

Nope! That is incorrect. It's the color of the hen that laid it. White hens = white eggs. Brown hens = brown eggs. Feed has nothing to do with the color. Do an internet search and you will see it has nothing to do with the feed.

Edited by fortinweb

If not already noted its the fee they feed the hens on that determines the shell colour - the inside is the same so don't worry - unless you are a hen :eek:

Many would think so... But not true.

I have enjoyed this thread. Funny posts for sure! :)

But seriously, there is no difference in taste or nutrition between brown or white eggs. Hens with white feathers produce white eggs, and hens with reddish brown feathers produce brown eggs. Simple as that. http://www.egglandsbest.com/eggspert/eggs/white-and-brown.aspx

And not that simple either.

As there are white feathered breeds that produce brown eggs... Such as Rhode Island Whites, but there are many others too

http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/brown-egg-layers

It is tho explained by genetics

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/why_are_chicken_eggs_different_colors

Personally I've never seen a Blue or Green Chicken Egg... Even tho I grew up in farm country, and have seen plenty of chickens & eggs up close, including award winning ones at country fairs.

Now I am more than curious on this phenomena

(definitely brings Dr Seuss to life... And here I always thought those green eggs were petrified ones)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I'm not going to start a new thread but sine we're talking eggs, what colour is most prominent where you live.

When I was a kid you almost never saw a brown egg in store eggs [as opposed to those the chooks in the backyard laid], now it seems to be the dead opposite I really don't know when I last bought a carton of eggs and it had a white one.

I must say that the same applies to double yolkers, you would get one a week, can't remember when I last got one in store bought.

Personally I've never seen a Blue or Green Chicken Egg... Even tho I grew up in farm country, and have seen plenty of chickens & eggs up close, including award winning ones at country fairs.

Emu eggs are green, and an Emu is just an overgrown chook.

Do Jersey cows wear cardigans

Which Jersey, English Jersey or New Jersey.....

Nope, it was a Canadian Cow... Hence a Hockey Jersey was the order of the day

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/q5sAAOxy4t1ShVUj/$_35.JPG

Lol, gotta love that Sidney Cowsby

Gotta admit I like a great lighthearted post here on CC

So I am "milking it" for all its worth... No need to "egg" me on ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I'm not going to start a new thread but sine we're talking eggs, what colour is most prominent where you live.

When I was a kid you almost never saw a brown egg in store eggs [as opposed to those the chooks in the backyard laid], now it seems to be the dead opposite I really don't know when I last bought a carton of eggs and it had a white one.

I must say that the same applies to double yolkers, you would get one a week, can't remember when I last got one in store bought.

Both varieties are common in my area. Brown eggs are generally more expensive. This is probably because they are typically a larger size. The breed that lays them are larger birds, or so I have read. Larger bird = larger egg.

Some people have been led to believe that brown eggs are healthier. But, this is only a marketing ploy that has no substance behind it.

Edited by fortinweb

Brown shelled eggs are only for yolks

White shelled yolks for other blokes

Whites from brown shells

should not be seen

even if served by

Paula Dean

Cruise Critic's miched is really serious

Though some believe him quite delirious

But miched knows how eggs should be

So listen up, Celebrity

Edited by fleckle

Whites from brown shells

should not be seen

even if served by

Paula Dean

So listen up, Celebrity

Lol, that's EGG-Strordinary !!

Cheers!

Whites from brown shells

should not be seen

even if served by

Paula Dean

So listen up, Celebrity

Love it 🐔

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I think I would pay for the privilege of standing beside you whilst you explain your request to the person cooking the omelettes. :D

Let 's all play with our servers minds by asking them what color eggs they used in our omelets. Particularily if we order it made with egg beaters.

Cheers!

Keep it up....I love the yokes

Having had to cancel a 2 wk cruise last week that was leaving tomorrow, I need some humour

Nope, it was a Canadian Cow... Hence a Hockey Jersey was the order of the day

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/q5sAAOxy4t1ShVUj/$_35.JPG

Lol, gotta love that Sidney Cowsby

Cheers!

I always thought that Hockey players in Canada wore sweaters and the Devils are the only team that wear New Jerseys.

Happy Cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Where I live White Eggs still hold the majority of the marketplace. Brown Eggs are marketed as being associated closer to the Farmer / local / grass roots (vs big producers "mass production"). Therefore there is a "perception" by many that Brown Eggs therefore must be healthier / better

Therefore in some places you will see Brown Eggs being more expensive

At the large grocery stores tho, I would say there little difference in price. We buy Large or XL Eggs... Whichever ones are well priced.

As others have noted...

There really is no nutritional differences between White & Brown Eggs... It is just genetics.

But here are some interesting Egg Facts:

Omega 3 Eggs are very popular now... These are laid by a hen who's feed is higher in Omega 3s. Common sources are Flaxseeds or Fish Oil mixed into their regular feed. Omega 3 Eggs tend to have harder shells (Mr Sloop is not a fan). How much benefit Omega 3 Eggs are to one's diet is controversial

While we are the topics of Eggs & Milk, there are substantial differences between NA and the rest of the world in how we treat, store and market these products (other topics here on CC)

For example...

In NA we sell & store our eggs refrigerated. In Europe eggs are generally kept out of the fridge. Difference comes down to shelf life... Refrigeration makes eggs last 3 to 4 times longer (30 to 45 Days)

Lol, I have known folks who rotate their egg purchases, one time white & then one time brown... In this way they can look in their fridge in one glance and know which ones are fresher vs older / need to be used up first.

Milk... Now this topic is really complicated. NA and other parts of the world not only present & store milk products differently... But how we name things, and the names we use are very different. If using a Non NA Cookbook, you really have to check out what is what, and if there is a NA equivalent

--- --- ---

Now we return to regular programming.

I apologize if my EGG-cited enthusiasm for the topic has caused me to go a "whole" other direction. Hard to just "skim" this topic and not get "whipped" into an assortment of ideas

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Where I live White Eggs still hold the majority of the marketplace. Brown Eggs are marketed as being associated closer to the Farmer / local / grass roots (vs big producers "mass production"). Therefore there is a "perception" by many that Brown Eggs therefore must be healthier / better

Therefore in some places you will see Brown Eggs being more expensive

At the large grocery stores tho, I would say there little difference in price. We buy Large or XL Eggs... Whichever ones are well priced.

As others have noted...

There really is no nutritional differences between White & Brown Eggs... It is just genetics.

But here are some interesting Egg Facts:

Omega 3 Eggs are very popular now... These are laid by a hen who's feed is higher in Omega 3s. Common sources are Flaxseeds or Fish Oil mixed into their regular feed. Omega 3 Eggs tend to have harder shells (Mr Sloop is not a fan). How much benefit Omega 3 Eggs are to one's diet is controversial

While we are the topics of Eggs & Milk, there are substantial differences between NA and the rest of the world in how we treat, store and market these products (other topics here on CC)

For example...

In NA we sell & store our eggs refrigerated. In Europe eggs are generally kept out of the fridge. Difference comes down to shelf life... Refrigeration makes eggs last 3 to 4 times longer (30 to 45 Days)

Lol, I have known folks who rotate their egg purchases, one time white & then one time brown... In this way they can look in their fridge in one glance and know which ones are fresher vs older / need to be used up first.

Milk... Now this topic is really complicated. NA and other parts of the world not only present & store milk products differently... But how we name things, and the names we use are very different. If using a Non NA Cookbook, you really have to check out what is what, and if there is a NA equivalent

--- --- ---

Now we return to regular programming.

I apologize if my EGG-cited enthusiasm for the topic has caused me to go a "whole" other direction. Hard to just "skim" this topic and not get "whipped" into an assortment of ideas

Cheers!

Thank you for that.

Re Refrigeration of Eggs for may years they didn't refrigerate them in shops in Australia either, now most do. But remember it is much cooler in many parts of Europe, I know some POMS from the North that don't even keep the milk in the fridge.

Can you give any examples of things in cookbooks you refer to, know some vegetables and some types of fish have different names, any other examples?

Jersey cows wear jerseys and live on the Channel Islands. Gurnsey cows have a special jersey called a gurnsey.

The cows wearing Cardigans live in Wales.

The cow that jumped over the moon was wearing a jumper.

cheers, h.

So what cow wears a Cardigan.

And what Cow wears a Jacket [oh I know all of them a leather jacket].