LIVE from the MAASDAM transatlantic cruise

sansterre

Thanks Helen! We had calm waters yesterday - read on:

Day 38 and 39 - at sea

The winds are now 26 kts (not MPH, as I posted previously). Yesterday the winds were nearly non-existent and the seas were perfectly calm. It is amazing how fast they can change. Because of smoothness of the water, the Maasdam increased speed to 18+ and direction to almost due West. Therefore we should reach Half Moon Cay on time.

Yesterday a Grand Show Buffet was set up in the Rotterdam Dining Room, deck 7. The Officer’s Ball took place last night at 10:15. I can’t report on it as we didn’t stay up that late; hopefully someone else will when we get back to free internet. Instead, DH and I enjoyed the Adagio Strings after our early dinner. Although there are just two, they are very talented young women from the Ukraine.

Some people delight in the fact that they are half packed to go home. We OTOH are in denial that we must get off in a few more days and are wishing we could stay aboard for a few of the Caribbean cruises.

There are only a few days left on our Transatlantic adventure to the Mediterranean. We sure have enjoyed this trip and appreciate these last 6 sea days to relax from all the port days in and around the Mediterranean. The high points were Arrecife in the Canary Islands, the Gaudi cathedral in Barcelona, Amalfi coast in Italy, Tangier and Casablanca because the sights and sounds in Morocco are just so different, Gibralter because it was nothing like I expected, and Porta Delgada in the Azores where the scenery was simply amazing. Of course, all the Roman ruins were interesting as well as those of even older cultures. I look forward to posting photos next week when I’m back to free internet!

Will look forward to seeing your photos!

Thanks for posting about the 5 star events. Give me a good feeling about this cruise next year!!

Sansterre, I think we were not on the same cruise! We lowly four star pax got very few invitations - the evening before the stop in Lanzarote, we got an invitation to a cocktail party, for 4o'clock that port day, when All Aboard was 5:30! We came back from our tour at 4:45, and raced upstairs, to find it was all over. When I questioned the wisdom of a party like that so early on a port day, I was told that the Captain had thought the weather might change! So, apart from the Mariners reception (where we were relegated to the balcony in the Showroom) and lunch, towards the end of the cruise, that was it for us. You were the party animals! All in all, it was a good cruise, with interesting passengers and ports, and of course, great staff. We really enjoyed meeting all our roll call friends. We will be happy to get home this evening, to start planning the next. We did meet a lot of people who have booked again for the cruise next year. I think we were told that after that Maasdam will be moving to the west coast. So I wonder if there will be ships that can get all the way to Montreal?

Oh, I meant to mention the explore4 cards we had. We really, really tried to make good use of them, and on our many sea days we occasionally got up to ten drinks, but still ended up with over $3,000 each remaining on our cards - and I never want to see an alcoholic drink again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to hear 4 stars didn't make the cut for many events!

Just how many 5 stars were there, anyways? Sounds as if there must have been hordes, as the ships usually include 4 stars in all events on the longer cruises.

Glad you had a good time, otherwise!

I'm not sure how many 5 star passengers there were, but it was a lot! At the Reception, there were more medallions presented than I have ever seen. It went on forever! They didn't do the pins, but so many silver, gold and platinum medallions, and there were President's Club people presented, too, and they all would have had 5 stars, I would imagine. It seems to be a very popular cruise for the people who like the long cruises, as it's a round trip.

I'm not sure how many 5 star passengers there were, but it was a lot! At the Reception, there were more medallions presented than I have ever seen. It went on forever! They didn't do the pins, but so many silver, gold and platinum medallions, and there were President's Club people presented, too, and they all would have had 5 stars, I would imagine. It seems to be a very popular cruise for the people who like the long cruises, as it's a round trip.

Thanks for the info!

We've never seen more than 35 5 Stars on any cruise. The Grand cruises, of course, have tons of 5 stars.

We once saw 98 Copper Medallions handed out and it did go on and on and on.

I hope you were well supplied with drinks for the marathon your reception obviously was!

Sansterre, I think we were not on the same cruise! We lowly four star pax got very few invitations - the evening before the stop in Lanzarote, we got an invitation to a cocktail party, for 4o'clock that port day, when All Aboard was 5:30! We came back from our tour at 4:45, and raced upstairs, to find it was all over. When I questioned the wisdom of a party like that so early on a port day, I was told that the Captain had thought the weather might change! So, apart from the Mariners reception (where we were relegated to the balcony in the Showroom) and lunch, towards the end of the cruise, that was it for us. You were the party animals! All in all, it was a good cruise, with interesting passengers and ports, and of course, great staff. We really enjoyed meeting all our roll call friends. We will be happy to get home this evening, to start planning the next. We did meet a lot of people who have booked again for the cruise next year. I think we were told that after that Maasdam will be moving to the west coast. So I wonder if there will be ships that can get all the way to Montreal?

Oh, I meant to mention the explore4 cards we had. We really, really tried to make good use of them, and on our many sea days we occasionally got up to ten drinks, but still ended up with over $3,000 each remaining on our cards - and I never want to see an alcoholic drink again!

Sorry you missed your 4 star party and the 5 star affairs. But with the Explore 4 cards, you really didn't need another cocktail now, did you? We missed out on those cards and after tasting the new house red wine, we sure wished we had the card. We could have ordered wine by the glass, instead of the Admiral packages we spent hundreds of dollars on:p No doubt you are 5 star for your next cruise! DH and I enjoyed meeting you and your DH - I cannot think of Gibralter without thinking of the two of you - Thank you for the wonderful 7 hour tour you planned for us that day!

Edited by sansterre

To all those CC members who were on this cruise, please post your thoughts of cruise and port highlights, (or lowlights), photos, etc here, on this thread. This post should be helpful for those taking the cruise next years. Many will appreciate your insight.

Would tell us how you could have $3,000 each left?

:D Regarding the explore4 drinks cards. It seemed to be set up like pre-loaded credit card. We started out with the full total for the 42 days - 42 times $105 (15 drinks of up to $7 each), which is something like $4,400. Then, as you drank whatever, it was deducted from that original balance. I had thought they would deduct the daily allowance of $105 every day, but they didn't. The bartenders could look it up in the till and tell you how much you had left. That final day, I still had $3,100 - just wish I could have persuaded them to turn it over into my next cruise!

Sorry you missed your 4 star party and the 5 star affairs. But with the Explore 4 cards, you really didn't need another cocktail now, did you? We missed out on those cards and after tasting the new house red wine, we sure wished we had the card. We could have ordered wine by the glass, instead of the Admiral packages we spent hundreds of dollars on:p No doubt you are 5 star for your next cruise! DH and I enjoyed meeting you and your DH - I cannot think of Gibralter without thinking of the two of you - Thank you for the wonderful 7 hour tour you planned for us that day!

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Maasdam ran short of the house red and needed to restock in Ponta Delgada. Cellar Master Miguel told us that it was not the wine he had ordered, but a substitute. You are absolutely correct, the Merlot was undrinkable... I cannot EVER remember leaving a full glass of wine on the table before! The Cab was at least drinkable, if one had a couple of glasses of something else beforehand. However, it may say something about we passengers that we exhausted the supply of house red a full week before the end of the cruise!

:D Regarding the explore4 drinks cards. It seemed to be set up like pre-loaded credit card. We started out with the full total for the 42 days - 42 times $105 (15 drinks of up to $7 each), which is something like $4,400. Then, as you drank whatever, it was deducted from that original balance. I had thought they would deduct the daily allowance of $105 every day, but they didn't. The bartenders could look it up in the till and tell you how much you had left. That final day, I still had $3,100 - just wish I could have persuaded them to turn it over into my next cruise!

I'm intrigued by the change in the E4 SBP. Did anyone tell you why they changed it from 15 drinks a day to a cash balance (equal to 15 drinks x $7)? Unless it was always that way but they didn't share the balance info with us before.

I have the E4 SBP on my May/15 cruise but may lose it if the price drops enough between now and then.

I think it was probably always that way, just not bruited about! The bartenders did not look up the balance for everyone, but we had maybe been "complaining" that we'd never drink it all - big joke! Once we knew there was a balance visible on the till computer, we asked about it occasionally. I was just surprised that the balance did not go down automatically every night by the $105! It seemed to me that that would have been the best way to do it, but perhaps the computer didn't know how to do that. We only heard of one person who actually reached his limit of 15 drinks a day!

I think it was probably always that way, just not bruited about! The bartenders did not look up the balance for everyone, but we had maybe been "complaining" that we'd never drink it all - big joke! Once we knew there was a balance visible on the till computer, we asked about it occasionally. I was just surprised that the balance did not go down automatically every night by the $105! It seemed to me that that would have been the best way to do it, but perhaps the computer didn't know how to do that. We only heard of one person who actually reached his limit of 15 drinks a day!

Thank you, Vict0riann. I'll inquire about it, if I retain the SBP, in May.