Carnival is burning thier bridge with me.

CarnieAddict

Every time I turn around they are shortening the time on Maui for my upcoming cruise to Hawaii. First we where supposed to go to Maui on the second stop and be there from 7am to 11pm then they changed it to our first stop and there from 10am to 11pm and now 12pm to 11pm. It really stinks they have that clause that they can change ports and port times in the fine print. I know I am whinning but just had to vent.

Every time I turn around they are shortening the time on Maui for my upcoming cruise to Hawaii. First we where supposed to go to Maui on the second stop and be there from 7am to 11pm then they changed it to our first stop and there from 10am to 11pm and now 12pm to 11pm. It really stinks they have that clause that they can change ports and port times in the fine print. I know I am whinning but just had to vent.

Or is it a matter of capacity--Lahaina is a tender port but anchoring space is at a premium too--which is set at the discretion of the Port Master?

In early 2013, I visited Hawaii with Celebrity and we were initially scheduled to anchor off Maui overnight... We were "bumped" from doing that as a matter of demand and instead visited Maui twice on non-consecutive days...

Or is it a matter of capacity--Lahaina is a tender port but anchoring space is at a premium too--which is set at the discretion of the Port Master?

In early 2013, I visited Hawaii with Celebrity and we were initially scheduled to anchor off Maui overnight... We were "bumped" from doing that as a matter of demand and instead visited Maui twice on non-consecutive days...

We are stopping in Kahului.

We are stopping in Kahului.

Which is a docked port.

Just off the October cruise. We didn't dock til 11am.

Just be aware that the port is disorganized. Tour people had issues figuring out where to go.

Car rental shuttle lines were horrendous, not really lines but clusters. Make sure you are in the right area before waiting. If renting, join any club and do as much as possible beforehand. We didn't get our car til 1pm.

Which is a docked port.

Just be aware that the port is disorganized. Tour people had issues figuring out where to go.

Car rental shuttle lines were horrendous, not really lines but clusters. Make sure you are in the right area before waiting. If renting, join any club and do as much as possible beforehand. We didn't get our car til 1pm.

AMEN to that. Horrible

Which is a docked port.

Yeah that is what I am scarred of. So if it took you 2 hours to get your car that would put me till 2. So 5 hours of daylight at the most. I wonder if I just should book an excursion.

I can understand your frustration, especially in that Hawaii as a cruise destination is most likely a one time thing. Hope it works out, as some have posted here, being prepared is probably your best bet right now. If it were me, I might want to reach out to past cruisers and do some G2 on best plans.

Yeah that is what I am scarred of. So if it took you 2 hours to get your car that would put me till 2. So 5 hours of daylight at the most. I wonder if I just should book an excursion.

Would have been a lot less if we had become members/done a lot of the paperwork ahead of time. Those that did had a fast lane.

That's sad, when Maui is really a 2 day port. We enjoyed out overnight stay there. Somehow we squeezed in Lahaina, Hana, and a trip to the top of the volcano, where many went to watch the sunrise, and bike ride all the way down.

They've changed the itinerary of our 12/6/2014 cruise to Hawaii, too. Shortened Maui, Hilo and Ensenada stops.

We're booked b2b and our 11/29/2014 itinerary was also changed. They moved Cabo from the 5th day to the 2nd and shortened our time there.

I think that the ongoing propulsion problems are worsening, but can't be absolutely sure.

That our time in Hilo got shortened is the worst. My husband has only lived in Fairbanks, AK and Pahoa, HI. Pahoa is near Hilo and is where the lava is encroaching on the town. I know we'll still be able to see most of what we want to see there, but that this port time was shortened is a little bit gut wrenching.

Cheers,

Taters

Edited by Taters

We had a car waiting in each port. A courtesy car picked us up in this port and took us back to their location, which was less than a mile. Due to limited parking, we dropped our car off and they drove us back to the ship, and picked us up the next morning. When many people saw how expensive the tours were, they decided to rent cars instead, but were paying three times the amount that we paid.

I've been to Hawaii more than 20 times. I'd never, ever do a cruise there. Definitely a destination vacation. Just couldn't imagine spending a few hours on one island. Going to kona in February and can't wait!!

I hear what you are saying, but a cruise is about the journey as much as it is the destination.

I've been to Hawaii more than 20 times. I'd never, ever do a cruise there. Definitely a destination vacation. Just couldn't imagine spending a few hours on one island. Going to kona in February and can't wait!!

Hmmmm..I suppose I'd mostly agree, but we're going to give NCL's POA cruise around Hawaii a shot regardless next September. Four islands, 2 overnight stays in Maui and Kauai...so we'll be a bit more than a few hours at least at those 2 islands, plus extended time in Oahu before and after cruise...we're planning on this being a good "tweener" of a land vacation and cruise.

It really stinks they have that clause that they can change ports and port times in the fine print.

You say that Carnival is burning their bridges with you because of the change. You do realize this clause is pretty much standard in the cruise industry so if you go wih another line the same thing can happen. Just saying.

You say that Carnival is burning their bridges with you because of the change. You do realize this clause is pretty much standard in the cruise industry so if you go wih another line the same thing can happen. Just saying.

Oh I realize that. Just saying I don't like it.

Oh I realize that. Just saying I don't like it.

Just to be perfectly clear - so what you're really saying then is that all cruise lines are burning their bridges with you?

Well, I just returned from the 15day Hawaii trip from Long Beach. It was awesome. I had did the research ahead of time and booked tours on each island with Roberts Tours and Rickys Tours on Hilo. I was not dissapointed. Yes we were on a large tour bus most days, with about 10-12 people. We did have a small bus one day and a tour van with Rickys. Strongly recommend Rickys for Hilo. He took us to amazing places. Volcano, Rainbow falls, National parks, steam vents for volcanos, lava tube was awesome. He took us to orchids farm, mac nut factory and black sand beach. He was delaying in starting because we had to wait on a couple to show up, but we got the extra time on the end. He was very informative. I would not take a roberts tours on each day as we did. I would leave a beach day and a do nothing day some where. We were toured out by 5 days of tours. Roberts Tours offers specials for each island in advance. Big bus and person waiting at each island to direct you to the right spot. Some people were trying to find something to do when they got to each island. Not happening. Not enough time to waste. We loved Carnival Miracle and Roberts Tours and Ricky's tours. Sea days were a little rough and rocky. Cool 2 nights going and 2 days coming back. Had rain one day. Watched movie on the big screen in the theater. Was ok... Strongly recommend this 15 day trip. Long Beach was intersting to load on the ship i will say. Galveston has it down.... Lax was a nightmare to get loaded on Sunday afternoon.....

If you have the gasoline I have the match! :D

Sorry, but to date it's still the best cruise I've ever been on.

We went to Hawaii oct 2013 and will go back October 2015. Our favorite cruise in more than 35 years. About a week or week and a half before several of our ports were switched in order. Not Carnivals fault but word came down from port authorities. We switched days with the rental car companies and it worked out well. 2 days before we were to arrive back in Long Beach to fly out of LAX several TSAs were shot and a terminal shut down. We were very surprised when we got to LAX(after much worrying as we had an early flight) that chaos was held to a minimum and we got thru TSA without much ado. The worst part of our cruise came at the beginning when we didn't get to board until after 3 (we are platinum and were amongst the first to board) because of a late ship arrival. Craziest boarding I've ever seen. People were still boarding during muster and as we were seated for early dining.

You're lucky you even got to go to Maui. We never got there because the seas were too rough and the captain made a B-line to the next port. It happens, I'm not mad about it. We scheduled another cruise in January 2015 and hopefully we'll get to stop there. I take these miss and hits in stride.

Please don't get too upset about the Maui change. We did the Miracle cruise to Hawaii in September from Vancouver to Long Beach, and it was the best time ever. Beautiful ship, attentive crew, lovely islands and islanders. We also were disappointed about Maui in that it was supposed to be a 2 day stop, and several months before they notified us that it would only be one day because of the propulsion problem. We stewed about it for a few days, and then decided to just go with it and have the best time we possibly could. One of the couples in our group backed out, but we are so glad we continued on with our plans. A few suggestions: if at all possible, don't wait for the free shuttles to the rental agencies. Grab another couple and split a cab, and you will be on your way before the first shuttle even gets there. Be sure to get the reward cards ahead of time, and be sure that the agency know ahead of time that you have the card. You will then have a separate line and that helps a lot, also. On Maui, the gas stations aren't close to the airport rental agencies, so start looking for gas about 10 miles out. On Oahu, the free shuttles go to Waikiki; pay for a cab and go to the airport as that is the directions of Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, north shore beaches. Some of those going to Waikiki waited for over 2 hours for a car.

We did rentals and our own tours for every island except Kona, where we did a fabulous snorkeling tour to K. Beach (Captain Cook) through Carnival. We snorkel in the Caribbean at least twice a year, and believe me, there is no comparison to swimming in this "fish bowl." You will love Hawaii if you take the time to plan your days there. When we went in September, there were very few tour guides at the ports trying to get your business; those that were expecting to just "go with the flow" were very disappointed. You really must make your own plans for each port.

BTW - the night you are in Maui, Carnival will bring a Polynesian show onboard that flies in from Oahu and is not to be missed. For some reason they don't advertise it ahead of time and many people miss it. Have a wonderful cruise! It was our first trip to Hawaii, and this Carnival cruise is the very best way to see what each island has to offer. Someday we'll go back to our favorites.