Cough I Can't Get Rid Of, Will I Be Denied Boarding?

MyBlueHeaven67

I have had the most frustrating cough this year. My kids and husband all have it too. With some of us it started with a sore throat, and a couple of us have had a very low fever. We've been on antibiotics, steroids and round the clock DayQuil/NightQuil. We are all now fever and symptom free - except for this COUGH! Agg! I've been coughing for 4 weeks!! My question and anxiety is, our family is set to go on our cruise in just three weeks. As it is nearing I am so fearful we won't be allowed on the ship. At this point, without the fever, we are no longer contagious. Will we be turned away for only having a cough? Will a note from our Doctor saying that we are not contagious help us? The cough sounds awful, so if we still have it, they will notice! :(

I have had the most frustrating cough this year. My kids and husband all have it too. With some of us it started with a sore throat, and a couple of us have had a very low fever. We've been on antibiotics, steroids and round the clock DayQuil/NightQuil. We are all now fever and symptom free - except for this COUGH! Agg! I've been coughing for 4 weeks!! My question and anxiety is, our family is set to go on our cruise in just three weeks. As it is nearing I am so fearful we won't be allowed on the ship. At this point, without the fever, we are no longer contagious. Will we be turned away for only having a cough? Will a note from our Doctor saying that we are not contagious help us? The cough sounds awful, so if we still have it, they will notice! :(

4 weeks is nothin'! I had the very nasty flu/bronchitis last December and I STILL have the residual cough. Nothing my health care team could do about it (short of hooking me on Hycodan). I had multiple courses of different antibiotics, steroids, inhalation therapy, and lots of Hycodan. But, you can't stay on Hycodan forever...

If a cruise ship were to deny boarding to someone because he had a cough, all those smokers would never cruise…

If it makes you feel better, get a note from your MD on letterhead that documents your non-contagious status.

Edited by slidergirl

It isn't likely you'd be denied boarding but certainly having a note from your doctor wouldn't hurt....... just in case.

Hope you all feel better soon and have a great cruise. That is probably just what you need to finally shake off your coughs.

It is unlikely that you'll be denied boarding, but I recommend a letter from your Dr listing that you are under their care and not contagious.

The last few months, there have been a nasty virus going around that leaves behind a cough that lasts for months. I had it from June through August, DH got it in Sept and still has a touch.

My Dr recommended Delsym for my cough. It is OTC and comes in a 12 hour liquid and a short term lozenge.

4 weeks is nothin'! I had the very nasty flu/bronchitis last December and I STILL have the residual cough. Nothing my health care team could do about it (short of hooking me on Hycodan). I had multiple courses of different antibiotics, steroids, inhalation therapy, and lots of Hycodan. But, you can't stay on Hycodan forever...

If a cruise ship were to deny boarding to someone because he had a cough, all those smokers would never cruise…

If it makes you feel better, get a note from your MD on letterhead that documents your non-contagious status.

Oh my!!!!! I am sooo sorry!! I pray you get better very soon and that mine doesn't last so long! Yikes!:eek:

It is unlikely that you'll be denied boarding, but I recommend a letter from your Dr listing that you are under their care and not contagious.

The last few months, there have been a nasty virus going around that leaves behind a cough that lasts for months. I had it from June through August, DH got it in Sept and still has a touch.

My Dr recommended Delsym for my cough. It is OTC and comes in a 12 hour liquid and a short term lozenge.

Wow! I hope mine doesn't last that long! After awhile, you feel like you'll never get rid of it!!!

I would take the previous suggestions that you have a letter from your doctor, and to ease any anxiety, I would simply have a cough drop or piece of hard candy in your mouth as you go through the check in process. I have had one of those lasting coughs, and could at least get temporary relief with just a Luden's cough drop.

It isn't likely you'd be denied boarding but certainly having a note from your doctor wouldn't hurt....... just in case.

Hope you all feel better soon and have a great cruise. That is probably just what you need to finally shake off your coughs.

Ditto to the above! Exactly what I would have posted.

Hope your cough goes away soon and that you have a great cruise! :)

LuLu

I realize that this is not a medical board, but (and not knowing your history) any chronic coughs that follow a febrile illness may be the result of a pertussis (shopping cough) infection. While antibiotics (usually mycins) may help with the original infection, the resulting cough can last for weeks and weeks and weeks. It is always present in the adult population, but most adult physicians rarely look for it as a cause for cough...Now, that said, if you have had a Tetanus shot in the past 5 years or so, it probably would not be that...Tetanus, these days have a component of the shooting cough vaccine in them. Just an idea to keep in mind when you have a chronic cough that follows an febrile illness that cannot be attributed to something else....

I realize that this is not a medical board, but (and not knowing your history) any chronic coughs that follow a febrile illness may be the result of a pertussis (shopping cough) infection. While antibiotics (usually mycins) may help with the original infection, the resulting cough can last for weeks and weeks and weeks. It is always present in the adult population, but most adult physicians rarely look for it as a cause for cough...Now, that said, if you have had a Tetanus shot in the past 5 years or so, it probably would not be that...Tetanus, these days have a component of the shooting cough vaccine in them. Just an idea to keep in mind when you have a chronic cough that follows an febrile illness that cannot be attributed to something else....

The Tetanus shot I had a few years ago included protection against whooping cough. My doctor never mentioned shooting cough. What is that?

Is that something contagious that should prohibited someone from immersing themselves in a crowded environment to avoid spreading it?

Edited by sail7seas

We had a similar stress when our January 2014 vacation was nearing. We were exposed to Whooping Cough ( Pertussis) in September and some of us got it in October. That is a cough that goes on for months and any subsequent respiratory ailment, no matter how slight, will bring back the cough anytime during the first year.

Long story short, we battled it fiercely with high doses of vitamin C, Beta Carotene and a cough tonic made from honey,ginger,garlic,turmeric and black pepper. We won in time for our cruise with NO residual cough, BUT our plan was to get a letter from our doctor explaining where the cough came from and that it is expected to last for a long time but is not contagious. It really helped me to not worry about the trip knowing that we could get this letter. I would suggest that you have that in your back pocket to allay your worries.

Beta Carotene was to aid in regrowth of the cilia in the airway, so you probably don't need that, but the vitamin C and the cough tonic would be helpful. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and the black pepper amps up the effect that the turmeric has in the body.

I found simple cough drops helpful when something irritated my throat and trigged a coughing fit after I had already recovered from the original illness. The cough drops soothed enough to stop the fit.

Since other people do not know whether you are contagious or not, please do not cough into anyone's face or across the dining table. :eek: I know you would never do that, but I had it done to me. Please have a handkerchief ready or use the crook of your arm.