Nickle and Diming isn't new

klfrodo

Currently visiting Vegas.

Went to the Titanic exposition today.

It was great standing in front of actual artifacts from the wreck of the ship.

Interestingly though was a few tidbits of information I wasn't aware of.

First Class passengers had an MDR just like everyone else.

They also had access to a "For Additional Fee" the Ala Carte Restaurant.

Deck lounge chairs were an additional fee.

The gymnasium was an additional fee along with access to the Turkish Bath.

So, Nickle and Diming has a long tradition in the cruise world.

Sorry, but I don't consider what the cruise lines do as "nickle and diming". Instead, I consider it as offering us additional options that we can choose to enjoy if we are willing to pay additional for it. It is no different than in ordinary life at home. We can prepare all our meals at home or be "nickled and dimed" by going out to a restaurant; or be "nickled and dimed" by purchasing a new pair of pants instead of finding a bargain pair at a thrift store; or be "nickled and dimed" by going to the theater to see a movie that a few months later you can see on your TV for free.

Taken to the extreme, you could even argue that you are being "nickled and dimed" when you pay for just a basic cruise instead of relaxing in your back yard for no additional charge. ;)

Edited by boogs

There are many differences from the liners of the past vs Cruise Ships of the current times. Yes, in the olden days one paid for a deck chair. These chairs were assigned, reserved, and you had your assigned deck steward. The Stewards would help bundle you in blankets (if necessary), would bring you your bullion, tea, etc. Think of it as somewhat similar to the Sanctuary on the current Princess ships...although the deck chairs were scattered around the ship. Yes, there was a class system on many ships, but this is becoming more common on current day cruises. For example, Cunard provides separate dining facilities, and even a special deck, for its customers in the higher priced suites. Norwegian has special facilities for its larger suite passengers, HAL has the Neptune Lounge, and RCI adds extra perks. Most lines also provide special concierge services for their suite passengers. The Class system is alive and well, but just not called a "class system."

Hank

From what I read about chair hogs, I'd think a lot of passengers would love the option to pay to reserve a deck chair anywhere on the ship, vs upgrading to a suite or competing for a pass to the limited area.

I totally agree about reserved deck chairs. I would also like to see a higher level of deck chair service and a rotational plan for deck chairs during a cruise.

I think with todays mass market cruise lines, we are all really lucky to get such low prices on cruises. Sailing on a ship in such luxury used to be something reserved for wealthy people only.

I totally agree about reserved deck chairs. I would also like to see a higher level of deck chair service and a rotational plan for deck chairs during a cruise.

If by rotational plan for deck chairs you mean everyone has to give up their chairs after a certain amount of time, then I say absolutely not. I have always believed in the fairness of first come first served methodology and this applies to everything on a cruise ship as well. First ones to book get the better staterooms. First ones to get to the theater get the better seats. First ones to reserve specialty restaurants get the times they want. If you make the effort to be first, then you should be rewarded.

Deck chairs are no different. If I get up before 9:00 am and secure a deck chair in a prime location and I continue to physically use it, excepting for bathroom breaks and pool time, I do not accept that I then have to give it up after a certain amount of time so someone else who decides to sleep in, play bingo for an hour or two, check out the art auction, and takes their time to look for a chair. If they want a deck chair, they need to make the same effort I made to secure one. I don't like the idea of surrendering my chair for someone who won't make a reasonable effort.

Edited by fortinweb

Oh, I hope the cruise lines are not reading it, and they will not start charging us for lounge chairs and the gym :(

I would pay for a reserved deck chair.

.... I'd think a lot of passengers would love the option to pay to reserve a deck chair anywhere on the ship.....

This would be a disaster. We'd see people reserving deck chairs in prime locations for the entire cruise, and only occasionally using them. We'd end up with many empty chairs for most of the day, only being use once in a while. I think this would anger lot of unhappy passengers because the best chairs would be reserved and not being used.

No, not a good idea at all. A bad idea that would be abused on a regular basis. :(

Edited by sloopsailor

More like $5 and $10ing. Er, $50 and $100ing.

You get everything you need with the base fare - accommodations, as much food as you can eat, entertainment, and transportation to ports of call. No one has to spend any more than that if they don't want to, and still have a fine vacation.

Why is it considered "nickle and diming" if there are other options people can choose to enjoy for an additional fee? It has always been this way on most cruise lines. Transportation to and from the ship has always been extra fare, even if the cruise line provides that service for you. Alcoholic drinks have always been extra fare. Special exercise and treatment programs in the spa area have been extra fare. Excursions have been extra fare. Items in the on-board stores have been extra fare. And no one seems to complain about that.

But add a couple of extra fare specialty restaurants (in addition to all the free food venues that are still available) and people start griping about being "nickeled and dimed", even though they NOT are being forced to go there.

Would you prefer they remove those restaurants and force everyone to dine in the MDR every night with no options for a change in venue once in a while? Isn't variety a good thing? It allows you to try something different only if you want to!

Edited by sloopsailor

As far as "specialty restaurants", before their advent, the food in the MDR was excellent, and beautifully presented. Once they realized they could reduce the quality of the MDR food, and have folks PAY for something that used to be included, they jumped at the chance!

Yes, you can choose to NOT partake of the specialty restaurants, but nowadays, you're getting basic food...not artfully presented, and usually, pretty bland, compared to what used to be included. Such a shame.

As far as "specialty restaurants", before their advent, the food in the MDR was excellent, and beautifully presented. Once they realized they could reduce the quality of the MDR food, and have folks PAY for something that used to be included, they jumped at the chance!

Yes, you can choose to NOT partake of the specialty restaurants, but nowadays, you're getting basic food...not artfully presented, and usually, pretty bland, compared to what used to be included. Such a shame.

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that the meals in the MDR are quite good - at least on the lines that I patronize - and are quite satisfactory considering how the prices of cruises have gone down dramatically since the "before the advent of specialty restaurant" prehistoric time frame you are using.

It always amazes me how people practice selective memory when complaining about the state of cruising today. They conveniently "forget" that fares were higher in the past, that ships were smaller and did not provide as much entertainment and amenities as modern cruise ships, that staterooms were smaller with very few having balconies, that there were many fewer ports of call available. Nope. The forget that. But, they claim to remember how much "better" the food was in the limited number of dining venues available to them. Apparently the food was the only reason they cruised at all. :rolleyes:

Yes, lots of memory loss on these forums. :eek:

Edited by swsfrail

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that the meals in the MDR are quite good - at least on the lines that I patronize - and are quite satisfactory considering how the prices of cruises have gone down dramatically since the "before the advent of specialty restaurant" prehistoric time frame you are using.

It always amazes me how people practice selective memory when complaining about the state of cruising today. They conveniently "forget" that fares were higher in the past, that ships were smaller and did not provide as much entertainment and amenities as modern cruise ships, that staterooms were smaller with very few having balconies, that there were many fewer ports of call available. Nope. The forget that. But, they claim to remember how much "better" the food was in the limited number of dining venues available to them. Apparently the food was the only reason they cruised at all. :rolleyes:

Yes, lots of memory loss on these forums. :eek:

do miss those smaller ships, but I don't need to be entertained 24/7 and I don't need zip lnes, and ice skating and flow riders and shopping malls.

These Mega liners are fast making some ports impracticable or totally off limits.

I've only been cruising for about 10 years but yes I think the food in the MDR has declined in quality, not drastically enough to effect me yet and hopefully it is only a short term thing. I also don't need 10 dining rooms I can only eat in one, my favorite ships have a MDR and 2 specialties that between them are open about 60% of nights.

Edited by GUT2407

The first extra charge specialty restaurant on a ship was on the SS Bremen in 1906.

The second one was the Ritz Restaurant on SS Titanic in 1912.

Dinner at the Ritz Restaurant averaged $100 per person - when the average American had a net income of $300 per year.

Edited by BruceMuzz

do miss those smaller ships, but I don't need to be entertained 24/7 and I don't need zip lnes, and ice skating and flow riders and shopping malls.

These Mega liners are fast making some ports impracticable or totally off limits.

I've only been cruising for about 10 years but yes I think the food in the MDR has declined in quality, not drastically enough to effect me yet and hopefully it is only a short term thing. I also don't need 10 dining rooms I can only eat in one, my favorite ships have a MDR and 2 specialties that between them are open about 60% of nights.

You may need to try other cruise lines. Most don't have zip lines, ice skating, flow riders or shopping malls. Many of the highest rated ships offer elegant surroundings with a pampering style of service. Some of these ships may be bigger, but they are not more crowded. With more space to stretch out in, the passenger has more options when it comes to choosing where to eat, what to do, or what to see. My personal favorite, Celebrity, does this quite well, and consistently gets high marks when it comes to food quality in the MDR. And they have some of the highest rated specialty restaurants on the open seas for when a person wants to try something different. Their award winning Solstice class ships are always placed at or near the top of "best ship" rankings.

I could understand your complaints if you were cruising on NCL or Carnval. They both have consistently gotten poor ratings for food quality, all venues included. They put more emphasis on keeping you occupied than on keeping you satisfied.

Edited by SantaFeFan

The first extra charge specialty restaurant on a ship was on the SS Bremen in 1906.

The second one was the Ritz Restaurant on SS Titanic in 1912.

Dinner at the Ritz Restaurant averaged $100 per person - when the average American had a net income of $300 per year.

Not exactly nickle and diming then was it

I actually like the smaller, older ships. Too many people competing at every port to be first off, and for everything on board for me. If you're happy with the MDR fare, good for you. I just remember a time when it was excellent instead of acceptable. I'm fine with pay a little extra for food I enjoy though. Either in base price, or in add ons at the specialty places. Even eating at them the whole week is a nominal cost. What *does* get me is that there aren't really other options for the other meals if you have a lot of sea days. You're stuck with the less quality food then.