From a Legendary step to a Quantum leap

Biker19

It was a fairly calm sea day by north Atlantic standards. The cruise ship was approaching Harwich at the end of a 13 day crossing in early May. Having discovered that such a voyage is very pleasant and economical, the middle aged couple realized it is also a very convenient way to get together. The two live on opposite sides the ocean and only see each other when their busy schedules allow. During a lull in activities on board, the couple meandered to the iLounge to research future encounter possibilities.

The routine fall transatlantic offerings provided plenty of choices. However, an early season crossing piqued some interest due to its itinerary. It was the northerly route via Iceland with some other interesting ports of call that made it so desirable. While saying their sorrowful goodbyes in London at the end of this encounter, the couple agreed that the September transatlantic on the Legend of the Seas would be their next rendezvous.

By mid May, the plans for the voyage were well underway. During further research for the Legend cruise, a quickly approaching major milestone birthday led to thoughts of another meeting. While the westbound transatlantic had no ports of call, the maiden voyage of a new class of ship seemed intriguing enough to warrant further research. In late May, when the price for this second cruise dropped to less than a two day sampler sailing, the cruise was booked ( Z rate - inside guaranty) even before all the plans for the first were finalized.

Planning for the Legend cruise continued through June with transportation arrangements finalized before ever booking the cruise. One way flights were booked using frequent flier miles. Train tickets at the two ends of the voyage were bought. The September 7 sailing from Hamburg had its final payment deadline in late June. A round of price drops in mid-June (90 days out from sailing - when travel agencies return their unsold inventory to the cruiseline) were not enough to entice booking.

The end of a sale increased prices in early July. Both cabin availability and prices stayed steady but high most of July. The prices were around $3,000 for an inside cabin, $4,400 for an outside and $7,000 for a balcony (all of the prices exclude the $720 for auto-gratuities and taxes). Uninformed cruisers may accept that as the going price for such a unique itinerary, but a savvy customer knows that transatlantics typically sell for about half that price (or less on older ships away from the more popular southern route). About seven weeks before sailing, the Z rate dropped the price of an inside cabin to $2,200 (Tuesday special) but based on cabin availability later in the week, there seemed to be few takers. At six weeks before sailing, there was a bigger drop in the Z rate to $1620 (and briefly to $1600) for an inside cabin. Based on cabin availability at the end of the week about 15 inside cabins (out of about 50 available) were sold. At the same time ocean view cabin availability went up (about 25% vacant) along with JS cabins (regular balcony inventory stayed about the same).

The Quantum cabin inventory declined while the prices were low in May. Both the inside and ocean view cabins were seemingly sold out by mid-June. In early July, Z and Y (ocean view guaranty) rates were offered, but no actual cabins were shown to be available. Meanwhile, the balcony inventory seemed to be declining. Without any discernable pattern, some Z and Y bookings received cabin assignments while others did not. At 100 days before the Quantum sailing the owed balance was paid - with no effect on cabin assignment. Reservations for dining and entertainment were made without issues.

At five weeks before the Legend sailing, the common sense rules of supply and demand took a vacation. While inventory went up, so did the prices (and a promotion offering OBC ended). The sailing even took a break from the Tuesday special listing. The somewhat low Z rate of $1700/cabin sold some inside cabins so only K and J categories were left.

At 30 days before the Legend sailing, RCI pressed the panic button and the Z rate dropped to $818 per cabin. The rate was on and off for a few days (and made the Tuesday special) until all of the inventory seemed to be gone. The cruise was booked at this rate and a J category cabin on deck seven (which had been priced at $3358 per cabin at that time) was assigned a few days later. No other price drops were offered and the inventory stayed steady all the way to the sailing date. From online cabin information and the passenger numbers mentioned by the captain during the cruise, it seems about 60 cabins went unsold.

At 90 days before the Quantum sailing, a few insides and some ocean view cabins became available as TAs dumped their unsold inventory and some folks cancelled the cruise before the looming final payment date. Despite a very active roll call where the participants were very enthusiastic, the larger customer base didn’t seem interested in this sailing (understandable given the lack of ports, the itinerary, time of year and the prices).

The Quantum floated out of its assembly building 80 days before the sailing. Not much new information became available at this time. The bear by the rock climbing wall (later named Felicia) was the topic of discussion for a few days.

At 70 days before the sailing, there was a technology reveal about the Quantum. The announcement of wristbands as an optional replacement of the traditional SeaPass cards brought the critics out in droves. It was a bit ironic that on the day the cruiseline tried to bring enthusiasm to customers (and demand to go with it) they were being offered discounts via the Tuesday special for the maiden voyage. That didn’t seem to make much difference as the inventory seemed to grow.

Pictures of some of the interior spaces made their rounds on various forum threads at 9 weeks before the Quantum sailing. At the same time it made the Tuesday special again - this time with a $999 X GTY rate. The Dynamic Dining concept that was to debut on the Quantum was announced for the Oasis. This caused an eruption of threads about the topic, with the naysayers shouting from rooftops that this will end their relationship with RCI.

At 45 days before the Quantum sailing, the ship was floated down the Ems river for final fit out. There was another round of $599 Z GTY rate offered but all inventory except suites disappeared. The new online check in process allowing uploading of photos (eliminating the need to do it during pierside checkin) made its debut this week - it worked as advertized.

While the ship was starting its sea trials, all inventory was pulled and no more bookings were possible - just before this, several hundred cabins (mostly balconies) were available. The ship was repositioned to Bremerhaven for the installation of the North Star and final finish. More dire predictions of failure made the Cruise Critic forum rounds.

At 10 days before the sailing, a D8 category balcony on deck 6 forward was assigned. It seemed like most folks with inside cabins were upgraded to balconies. While the shipyard was furiously trying to finish the work on the ship, the ship went out for its final sea trials. The hand over from the shipyard to RCI was delayed due to an unscheduled dry-dock to fix some issues.

There are many contrasts and similarities between RCI’s newest and almost oldest ships. A lot has changed in ship design in the past 20 years. While RCI has tried to renovate its older ships to add the features of its newer ships, those modifications have limits.

The contrasts between the ships are many. With the impending departure of the Majesty, the Legend will become RCI’s oldest ship. The Quantum just came off the assembly line. One is French made, the other German. One is the smallest, while the other is only eclipsed by the Oasis class ships. One is traditional, the other is what RCI envisions as the future of cruising.

The two sailings provided a good comparison of the two ships and eras in the cruising world. Twenty years ago, cabin differentiation was more obvious and graduated (the Legend has many different cabin sizes and layouts to go along with quite varied pricing). The new ships have balcony cabins of the same size dominating the inventory. The Legend has the RCI signature Viking Crown Lounge design feature - that was totally abandoned on the Quantum.

The Legend has a large dining room and traditional dining while the Quantum has Dynamic Dining spread across several different venues. While the traditional dining on the Legend was predictable, the varied menu, scenery and dining times on the Quantum was a drastic change. It has yet to be seen if this change will end up as one cruiser during the Captain’s Corner on Quantum put it, RCI’s version of New Coke.

The entertainment on the two ships was similar, though the full length show on the Quantum was impressive. Smaller venues, like the Music Hall on Quantum, also add to the variety of entertainment options on board.

There were more activity choices on the Quantum and things like the Flowrider and Ripcord really enhance the experience (depending on one's level of thrills).

The Legend has slow traditional Internet with several PCs for use by customers - the Quantum has fast Internet with very few PCs (assumption is that everyone uses their own devices).

So, in which camp do you fall - traditional cruising or RCI’s vision of the future? Not that it matters much, since traditionalist cruisers will either have to adapt or soon find other venues for their desired cruising experience.

We are looking forward to dynamic dining and the variety of restaurants and menus. The standard menus on other RCI ships is getting boring.

I agree with you about the menus getting boring, but I think they could have changed the menus without eliminating traditional dining.

Edited by clarea

We will miss the social aspect of traditional dining.

[/size][/font]

Think positive Bob!! You will meet so many more new friends with Dynamic rather than just 4 or 6 in one table :)... Just tell everyone you meet, especially at the roll call, that you're Clarea from CC and you'll likely have a couple hundred CC'ers all want to sit with you at dinner :eek: (I'll be in that line :D)

Think positive Bob!! You will meet so many more new friends with Dynamic rather than just 4 or 6 in one table :)... Just tell everyone you meet, especially at the roll call, that you're Clarea from CC and you'll likely have a couple hundred CC'ers all want to sit with you at dinner :eek: (I'll be in that line :D)

Very nice of you to say that. We will certainly try DD, since we are booked on Oasis for next September.

I agree with you about the menus getting boring, but I think they could have changed the menus without eliminating traditional dining.

In agreement with you -- And still given all of those who liked the features of traditional dining the ability to still enjoy them. Instead, those that enjoyed it, still have to change.

For the near future we have nothing booked that will have DD....and as we book cruises, it won't be the reason we do or don't book a cruise....and if we have it on a ship we will adapt....and see how it works for us...the only choice we will have is NOT to choose a ship doing it...and DD will not be the deciding factor in our choice.

Edited by Paulette3028

We will miss the social aspect of traditional dining.

[/size][/font]

We wont as many times we ate all by ourselves on a large dining table and sometimes we got stuck with lemons. Over the last 7 cruises we have always requested a table for 2 and enjoyed every minute. The same will apply wether DD or traditional dining.

We wont as many times we ate all by ourselves on a large dining table and sometimes we got stuck with lemons. Over the last 7 cruises we have always requested a table for 2 and enjoyed every minute. The same will apply wether DD or traditional dining.

I can honestly say "I have never had the pleasure of lemons seated with me at dinner". Have I had people who were not the most conversational, sure. Over the course of a few days, did I learn about them and engage them in conversation, sure. Over those days, did some topics of conversations come up that could be uncomfortable (politics/religion) -- I looked at those conversations as 'educational opportunities' -- I learned about them and they learned about me -- no one was going to change anyone's opinion. On occasion did some of our tablemates enjoy one of the specialty restaurants, so they did not join us -- sure....and we did it one night to them.

The nice thing about a large table with others, 'what is said on a cruise stays behind on the cruise' unless I am fortunate enough to meet someone, I want to stay in touch with.......and that HAS happened.

I can honestly say "I have never had the pleasure of lemons seated with me at dinner". Have I had people who were not the most conversational, sure. Over the course of a few days, did I learn about them and engage them in conversation, sure. Over those days, did some topics of conversations come up that could be uncomfortable (politics/religion) -- I looked at those conversations as 'educational opportunities' -- I learned about them and they learned about me -- no one was going to change anyone's opinion. On occasion did some of our tablemates enjoy one of the specialty restaurants, so they did not join us -- sure....and we did it one night to them.

The nice thing about a large table with others, 'what is said on a cruise stays behind on the cruise' unless I am fortunate enough to meet someone, I want to stay in touch with.......and that HAS happened.

You have been extremely lucky. To us the final straw was our first 12 nite Medit. cruise. We looked forward to the 10 person table. First nite, except for one couple, the table was fully occupied. By the second and further nites, the table was occupied by us and a Belgium couple. They seemed to be a friendly couple, but spoke no English and we spoke no Flemish/French. We basically waved and smiled when we sat and when we left. There was another American couple that occasionally attended. On my exit evaluation I blasted RCL for not properly matching diners based on age, background and nationality. Would you believe that in all of our cruises we have never dined with anyone from the metro area.

While saying their sorrowful goodbyes in London at the end of this encounter, the couple agreed that the September transatlantic on the Legend of the Seas would be their next rendezvous.

The OP's "story" is very well written. The romance part reminds me of the movie "Same Time Next Year". It begins with romantic overtones before it segues to price drops and comparisons. Yet, it certainly kept my attention to the end, because...I wanted to know what happened when you two met again.

Forget Dynamic Dining, how does the story end? Did you two book your "Next Cruise"?:)

Edited by cruisebirdie

You have been extremely lucky. To us the final straw was our first 12 nite Medit. cruise. We looked forward to the 10 person table. First nite, except for one couple, the table was fully occupied. By the second and further nites, the table was occupied by us and a Belgium couple. They seemed to be a friendly couple, but spoke no English and we spoke no Flemish/French. We basically waved and smiled when we sat and when we left. There was another American couple that occasionally attended. On my exit evaluation I blasted RCL for not properly matching diners based on age, background and nationality. Would you believe that in all of our cruises we have never dined with anyone from the metro area.

By the time that cruise would have ended, I would have learned a little Flemish/French and they would have learned a little English. And the experience would have been FUN doing it. I prefer to make lemonade in situations rather than feel as if I am 'stuck with just a lemon'.

Gee, did you ever wonder how they managed around the ship....I would have surmised they knew some English, even just a little.

I don't believe Royal is in the 'properly matching diners' business -- that is a tough expectation....I suspect it is a rather random process with a minimal amount of demographic info put in for this.

I feel that I have not met lemons when seated with others at dinner, either. I understand that are people who truly should not eat with others, but they are few and far between. We have found that tables for 8 seem to result in more people dining in specialty restaurants or elsewhere. We are three people and when seated with three people who know each other, each time we have all been at dinner the whole week.

I think there are many people who want a table for two and they should have one. I will miss the chance to meet more people like we have met, but that is what will happen. We will continue to cruise and will give Dynamic Dining a try. I am interested in hearing what people think of it.

Edited by KansasK

Forget Dynamic Dining, how does the story end? Did you two book your "Next Cruise"?:)

Not yet, but a spring east bound TA most likely with the Serenade in the lead because of the ports and the Quantum a close second because of the ship. Schedules and cost will determine the final choice.

By the time that cruise would have ended, I would have learned a little Flemish/French and they would have learned a little English. And the experience would have been FUN doing it. I prefer to make lemonade in situations rather than feel as if I am 'stuck with just a lemon'.

Gee, did you ever wonder how they managed around the ship....I would have surmised they knew some English, even just a little.

I don't believe Royal is in the 'properly matching diners' business -- that is a tough expectation....I suspect it is a rather random process with a minimal amount of demographic info put in for this.

Do you realize that this was a Medit. cruise and not the Carib. You probably think that English is the only spoken language.

Also, why not match diners as they have the necessary profiles. But it does not matter at this point with the advent of DD and the different restaurants.

Edited by nelblu
add'l data

• 3 months later...

I have been reading hundreds of blogs/comments/threads and am intrigued by the Traditional dining vs Dynamic Dining debate that seems to be an underlying theme on here.

We have cruised 4 times now and our 5th cruise is coming up on the Quantum.

We have encountered traditional dining, My time dining and soon to be dynamic dining.

I can understand that people enjoy the traditional dining and why. Sure, it's nice to meet new people and share time with them nightly at dinner. Making new friends (hopefully) along the way. Of course you also risk being tendered along with some folks whom you may not enjoy as much. Just like being in the onboard casino, it's a crap shoot....

I think when changes come along like Dynamic Dining , it is fun to embrace the change and think outside the box. What we have found as a cruising couple is that their are tons of places on board to meet new people, make new friends and enjoy the company of others. Strike up a conversation at the pool, in the schooner bar, or in the Theater as you wait for the show to begin. If you hit it off you can meet for a beverage somewhere later in the evening.

At home when we go out for dinner we are never seated with others we don't know, and we always have a wonderful time. It is what you make it, life is fun that way :) I love to meet new people, make new friends and learn about others from all over the world. Cruising has afforded me that wonderful luxury.

Did I enjoy traditional dining? Sure, except once we had a waiter who we got everyyyyy night that we found a tad unfriendly. And we have also made lifelong friends.

Will I enjoy Dynamic Dining? You bet I will! I get to try many different restaurants, with different cuisines and I will have no problems saying hello to my dining Neighbors or if I speak to the Maitre D' I may even ask to see if someone is sitting at a table with empty seats and would they be interested in some dinner company. Why not right? It is what you make it! And it can be found if you take the leap and seek it out.

Cruising is something we enjoy immensely and we will continue to do so. A change in the way things are done won't ruin it for us, because our enjoyment comes from the entire experience....not just where we eat for dinner and who we eat with.

We will be on the Quantum on the March 1st sailing. If you see a woman wearing blinking Palm trees on her head on occasion, that's me! LOL Say Hi...my name is Lisa :)

Just my two cents (for what it's worth) :)

I have been reading hundreds of blogs/comments/threads and am intrigued by the Traditional dining vs Dynamic Dining debate that seems to be an underlying theme on here.

We have cruised 4 times now and our 5th cruise is coming up on the Quantum.

We have encountered traditional dining, My time dining and soon to be dynamic dining.

I can understand that people enjoy the traditional dining and why. Sure, it's nice to meet new people and share time with them nightly at dinner. Making new friends (hopefully) along the way. Of course you also risk being tendered along with some folks whom you may not enjoy as much. Just like being in the onboard casino, it's a crap shoot....

I think when changes come along like Dynamic Dining , it is fun to embrace the change and think outside the box. What we have found as a cruising couple is that their are tons of places on board to meet new people, make new friends and enjoy the company of others. Strike up a conversation at the pool, in the schooner bar, or in the Theater as you wait for the show to begin. If you hit it off you can meet for a beverage somewhere later in the evening.

At home when we go out for dinner we are never seated with others we don't know, and we always have a wonderful time. It is what you make it, life is fun that way :) I love to meet new people, make new friends and learn about others from all over the world. Cruising has afforded me that wonderful luxury.

Did I enjoy traditional dining? Sure, except once we had a waiter who we got everyyyyy night that we found a tad unfriendly. And we have also made lifelong friends.

Will I enjoy Dynamic Dining? You bet I will! I get to try many different restaurants, with different cuisines and I will have no problems saying hello to my dining Neighbors or if I speak to the Maitre D' I may even ask to see if someone is sitting at a table with empty seats and would they be interested in some dinner company. Why not right? It is what you make it! And it can be found if you take the leap and seek it out.

Cruising is something we enjoy immensely and we will continue to do so. A change in the way things are done won't ruin it for us, because our enjoyment comes from the entire experience....not just where we eat for dinner and who we eat with.

We will be on the Quantum on the March 1st sailing. If you see a woman wearing blinking Palm trees on her head on occasion, that's me! LOL Say Hi...my name is Lisa :)

Just my two cents (for what it's worth) :)

We love and prefer traditional dining. On the other hand we also enjoy sharing a table with strangers in the over crowded Windjammer.