Dream holiday and cruise , a nightmare trip

Holes, gaps, missed details, bad wording, sloppy journalism, whatever. It is typical of News limited and the ACA type stories. :(

It still doesn't matter what the holes are, when something goes wrong call your insurance company first. If you don't they wont cover you.

I can't believe that anyone spending that sort of money on a holiday wouldn't get insurance. It's very sad but sounds like, as a few have said, a bit more planning/research would have helped. Me, I'm a plan it to the nth degree type of person, hence why I'm on cc and all the other cruise related sites I can find lol

I can't believe that anyone spending that sort of money on a holiday wouldn't get insurance. It's very sad but sounds like, as a few have said, a bit more planning/research would have helped. Me, I'm a plan it to the nth degree type of person, hence why I'm on cc and all the other cruise related sites I can find lol

We are as well, we have contingency plans so if something goes wrong, we have a fall back option.:D

We try and do all these things when we travel.

• Always have travel insurance;
  • have all the necessary paperwork;
  • double check every detail;
  • have directions in the foreign language;
  • have contingency plans in case of problems arise; and
  • allow time so that if things go wrong, it doesn't matter.

I do feel sorry for the couple, having some bad luck and then making one mistake after the other.

I also take a photo or screen capture on the ipad or phone of google maps and of the name of the place. Then if I cannot get the message across I can show them. Have used it many times.

AND if you have cached google maps at your hotel - you can catch the sneeky cabbie who takes your the $50 route rather than the $15 route.

Raina

I just cannot believe anyone leaving Australia without insurance.

I was talking to a Travel Insurance place todayand he told me they just paid out $1.2 million on a medical claim in USA that involved evacuation, surgery and hospital stay then a trip home!!!:eek:

Raina

I was talking to a Travel Insurance place todayand he told me they just paid out $1.2 million on a medical claim in USA that involved evacuation, surgery and hospital stay then a trip home!!!:eek:

Raina

Wow, they really know how to hit someone in the US.

I also take a photo or screen capture on the ipad or phone of google maps and of the name of the place. Then if I cannot get the message across I can show them. Have used it many times.

AND if you have cached google maps at your hotel - you can catch the sneeky cabbie who takes your the $50 route rather than the $15 route.

Raina

Good idea, I often have a print out of the area as well as the addresses I need (hotel, port etc) in their language so if they do not speak english, they can follow the directions.:D

I think it implies it, since it said they're not sure if they'll get money back.

Not many other avenues to get money back, except insurance.

I think you misunderstand my comment. Whilst they may have insurance they clearly didnt call them at the earliest opportunity. If they had the insurance company would have got things better sorted for them.

Raina

I had an accident in the us and the total came to over $10,000. Plus they were unwilling to operate. Lucky insurrance covered it all.

You can't predict all scenarios on holidays but you can ensure you are fully covered by travel insurrance.

I find google street view handy for knowing what your hotel looks like and what is around it. Ie great if there is a supermarket opposite but not so if there is a boozy night club ect

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Raina

I have mainly cruised in Australia but still take insurance.

Even if I am paying [non-refundable] say $3500, for the two of us, for a holiday within Australia I get insurance, for about $70 I can know that if one of us gets ill and we have to cancel we can get our money back.

I had an accident in the us and the total came to over $10,000. Plus they were unwilling to operate. Lucky insurrance covered it all.

Does the insurance company pay the bill or do you have to pay it them claim it back?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does the insurance company pay the bill or do you have to pay it them claim it back?

Normally they want you to pay, but I have heard reports of Hospitals contacting insurers and getting written confirmation that payment will be made.

On a ship they charge your account.

Whilst in hospital my family had to contact the insurrance company and confirm I was covered for emergency treatment. They were given a claim number to quote.

Prior to leaving the hospital I was asked for full details and insurance information.

I had to pay for minor costs and kept receipts but the hospital bills I sent directly to the insurance company whom paid.

Kept your insurrance details as a contact on your phone with their contact number and policy number.

On another ruined holiday we made a claim against NCL cruise line. They had to cut our cruise short by half.

When they announced the ship was going back to Waikiki and we were not going to continue

I nagged to customer service staff for a letter stating the cancellation of the cruise. I got the letter and have this to our insurrance company whom paid out our expenses caused.

Many people ie Americans had no travel insurrance ie they were in their own country did not need it and were therefore out of pocket.

When claiming on insurrance get all the documentation together that you can at the time of the event.

Keep receipts for costs. Get letters from suppliers ect . Business cards ect. Write a timeline. Document.

Insurance companies will need full information and have this backed up by additional information which you will need to provide.

Remember medical costs incurred back in Australia may not be covered by your travel insurrance.

On another ruined holiday we made a claim against NCL cruise line. They had to cut our cruise short by half.

When they announced the ship was going back to Waikiki and we were not going to continue

I nagged to customer service staff for a letter stating the cancellation of the cruise. I got the letter and have this to our insurrance company whom paid out our expenses caused.

Many people ie Americans had no travel insurrance ie they were in their own country did not need it and were therefore out of pocket.

When claiming on insurrance get all the documentation together that you can at the time of the event.

Keep receipts for costs. Get letters from suppliers ect . Business cards ect. Write a timeline. Document.

Insurance companies will need full information and have this backed up by additional information which you will need to provide.

Remember medical costs incurred back in Australia may not be covered by your travel insurrance.

Very good advice, collect and keep all documentation required for the claim to proceed.:D

That's the user pays society at work.

Almost anything is possible... as long as you have the money.

As distinct to the non-user pays society??

We are all users......

some choose to go private and pay , while others in urgent need ,or who can wait , have their fellow taxpayers pay via the public health.

We are all users......

some choose to go private and pay , while others in urgent need ,or who can wait , have their fellow taxpayers pay via the public health.

Or sometimes you use a Public hospital, for a varety of reasons, and your insurance still pays.

Last time I was in a public hospital they said to the bride:

"Feel free to bring him food in, as the food here is pretty poor."

V's last time in private when it was good food with the option of a glass of wine with dinner