Average age

Serotta1

We just finished a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess. The ship was great and we had a wonderful time. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and wanted to have a more adult atmosphere so we decided to try Princess - we usually cruise with Royal Caribbean. It seems we went from one extreme to the other; the average age of passengers on this cruise was about 75 to 80. We are already planning our next cruise but can't decide between Princess and Royal Caribbean. Can anyone tell me if all Princess cruises attract mostly elders, or was our cruise unusual?

Can anyone tell me if all Princess cruises attract mostly elders, or was our cruise unusual?

No; but we just finished a 12 day on the Ruby and I have never seen so many walkers and Rollators in one place in my life.

I think the length of the cruise plays a large part.

Mike:)

Just returned from a 5 night cruise on the Princess Caribbean. There were some canes and wheelchairs but a minority. Definitely a younger crowd that you describe! If I had to guess, I would say mostly 50's and early 60's. But lots much younger, too.

It depends on some things. Was it a longer cruise? What time of year? Which itinerary? Shorter cruises tend to have a younger group, in my experience, and cruises in the summer or around the holidays will have families with children. Some of the more exotic itineraries such as a world cruise will have an older bunch. I haven't been on a cruise yet where there were more 80 year olds than 50 somethings.

No; but we just finished a 12 day on the Ruby and I have never seen so many walkers and Rollators in one place in my life.

I agree. We did the Royal 10 day repo and had the same experience. :)

My rule of thumb, the longer the cruise the higher the average age, and once you pass the 7 day barrier the age slope quickens. 75 to 80 seems you are estimating a little on the high side, but 60's would be more like the average we have witnessed over the years. Now if you are looking for after midnight action, I have never really seen much of this on a Princess cruise. A high percentage of passengers retire by 11pm. I am usually up and about around 11pm and the ship quiets down quickly. For your reference I have never been on a cruise shorter than 7 days. If Princess seems quiet, stay away from HAL.

Agree that the length of the cruise and time of year play a huge part. Not many younger couples, especially ones with kids, can afford, or be away from work long enough, for a 10-12 day cruise. Also, not many couples would take the kids away from school that long during the school year, especially during this time frame when they will already be out next week for Thanksgiving.

Just got off the Coral on Thursday from the 11-day Panama Canal partial transit. I didn't see a single kid the whole time on board, though my wife said she did see 2 kids with a couple.

It depends on some things. Was it a longer cruise? What time of year? Which itinerary? Shorter cruises tend to have a younger group, in my experience, and cruises in the summer or around the holidays will have families with children. Some of the more exotic itineraries such as a world cruise will have an older bunch. I haven't been on a cruise yet where there were more 80 year olds than 50 somethings.

My rule of thumb, the longer the cruise the higher the average age, and once you pass the 7 day barrier the age slope quickens. 75 to 80 seems you are estimating a little on the high side, but 60's would be more like the average we have witnessed over the years. Now if you are looking for after midnight action, I have never really seen much of this on a Princess cruise. A high percentage of passengers retire by 11pm. I am usually up and about around 11pm and the ship quiets down quickly. For your reference I have never been on a cruise shorter than 7 days. If Princess seems quiet, stay away from HAL.

Different aspects as some say -- sailing date, length, etc. plays a part. But even when school is out, there could be a lot of kids on board but with a good kids' program (and parents making sure the kids take part), you might not see any of them or notice them. Just as some people see several with walkers and scooters, it's just the perception as you could be noticing them more.

On our last two cruises, which were about at the same time of year, 14-day cruises on the Golden during the holidays and spaced two years apart, the first of those seemed to have an overabundance (to many) of senior citizens, while on the next one, not so many. But I think one major factor was that some of those seniors on that first one were pretty obnoxious (and this is something I heard from many over 65 years old!) while it seemed that everyone on the most recent cruise were trying to get along with everyone else.

We had much the same experience with our first Princess cruise, everyone says it is luck of the draw, we just finished our second Princess cruise last week, it was a shorter cruise, but one with many experienced Princess cruises, and the average age was MUCH younger.

Mike - we were with you on that cruise and I agree but we stayed on for the next 5 day cruise and the average age was decades lower :D. Passengers included young families and kids (I was surprised because it wasn't school vacation time in the States). As many have said, the shorter cruises and those with less exotic itineraries (5 day Caribbean vs 12 day Quebec to FLL) attract a younger demographic usually.

I'm not doubting your word, but I have never been on a Princess cruise where the average passenger was in his late 70s or above. Ever.
Same for me. I've never taken a cruise with an average age of late 70's or older. And that's a lot of cruises, most of which were longer than seven days.

Generally, cruises a week or so before Thanksgiving will have older passengers since families tend to cruise over the holiday. Same for early December and January.

I've never been on a cruise where the average age is 75. My suggestion is to stick to cruises that are 7 days or less. Maybe you should try some short cruises back to back if you want a longer cruise. Retired people have the freedom to be away on longer cruises more often. Royal Caribbean markets to families with their rock climbing walls, skating rings and general shopping mall atmosphere. I guess you have to decide what works for you.

You will find very few families and middle aged adults cruising in November. For one thing the kids are in school and the adults are preparing for the holidays and or probably don't want to use vacation time at this time of the year. This is a good time of year for retired Florida residents to jump on a last minute discounted cruise. Thanksgiving week would be the exception. November is usually the time for Newlyweds and Nearly deads to be sailing. Spring Caribbean sailings have a much different demographic.

We just finished a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess. The ship was great and we had a wonderful time. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and wanted to have a more adult atmosphere so we decided to try Princess - we usually cruise with Royal Caribbean. It seems we went from one extreme to the other; the average age of passengers on this cruise was about 75 to 80. We are already planning our next cruise but can't decide between Princess and Royal Caribbean. Can anyone tell me if all Princess cruises attract mostly elders, or was our cruise unusual?

If this was the New York to Ft Lauderdale reposition cruise it was probably transporting our snowbirds back to their winter home at Del Boca Vista phase III. I hope that will be me someday.

If this was the New York to Ft Lauderdale reposition cruise it was probably transporting our snowbirds back to their winter home at Del Boca Vista phase III. I hope that will be me someday.

"Del Boca Vista" The Seinfeld reference gave me a laugh :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mike - we were with you on that cruise and I agree but we stayed on for the next 5 day cruise and the average age was decades lower :D. Passengers included young families and kids (I was surprised because it wasn't school vacation time in the States). As many have said, the shorter cruises and those with less exotic itineraries (5 day Caribbean vs 12 day Quebec to FLL) attract a younger demographic usually.

Just as I expected. We were on the Ruby earlier this year for a couple of those shorter cruises and it was a totally different demographic.

You will find very few families and middle aged adults cruising in November. For one thing the kids are in school and the adults are preparing for the holidays and or probably don't want to use vacation time at this time of the year. This is a good time of year for retired Florida residents to jump on a last minute discounted cruise. Thanksgiving week would be the exception. November is usually the time for Newlyweds and Nearly deads to be sailing.

This all makes perfect sense and would seem to cut across all cruise lines rather equally. For people who consider Princess to be an "older" demographic, and for people with more experience on RCL, what would one have expected a Royal Caribbean cruise to look like had the OP sailed with them at this time of year? Are the rock walls and wave riders filled with kids during early-mid November when virtually no schools have vacations?

I hope that those who are put off by an "overabundance" of seniors on cruises will be as fortunate as those of us currently in that advanced age group, who are cruising as often as we can and loving every minute of it. Most of us live as active a lifestyle as our bodies will allow, and we're going and doing and seeing the world while we still can, so please be happy for us, instead of offended by our presence.

JMHO

I hope that those who are put off by an "overabundance" of seniors on cruises will be as fortunate as those of us currently in that advanced age group, who are cruising as often as we can and loving every minute of it. Most of us live as active a lifestyle as our bodies will allow, and we're going and doing and seeing the world while we still can, so please be happy for us, instead of offended by our presence.

JMHO

I'm very happy for you. Folks like you give me hope that someday I too will be able to do what you do. I also give those who have mobility issues a lot of credit for pushing themselves to get out their and enjoy life. It is very easy to sit home and become depressed in that situation.

This was posted on cruise critic a few years ago. I cannot attest to its accuracy, but I have read before that of the major non-luxury cruise lines, the average age of passengers on Princess tends to be the highest.

From another CC string:

Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:

Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age

Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age

Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age

Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age

Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age

Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

Its pretty simple. If you want to climb rock walls, surf, ice skate or zipline, then you cruise RCCL. If you want to take a cruise, you choose Princess.

The average age of a Princess cruiser varies depending on the length of the cruise, the time of year and the itinerary. The age spread is 6 months to eternity:D making the average age of a Princess cruiser around age 50.

When you get offered your AARP card, you will have graduated to the 50 year old demographic and will begin the best years of your life.

Congratulations on your 25th Anniversary. Not many couples make it that far.

Just think, many of the older demographic customers on Princess are celebrating twice that amount of time together. How wonderful it is for them to still be enjoying life to the fullest.

As someone once said, "it ain't over till it's over."

Hugs to you flamomo! I like the way you travel. :D

Edited by Mom33

We, too, were on the Royal Repo and had the same thought.

B

This was posted on cruise critic a few years ago. I cannot attest to its accuracy, but I have read before that of the major non-luxury cruise lines, the average age of passengers on Princess tends to be the highest.

From another CC string:

Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:

Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age

Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age

Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age

Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age

Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age

Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

That is interesting if that is the case. I have only been on Holland America once but I recall it being much older than Princess' demographic. I also would have thought that Crystal would skew slightly older than Princess - but that might just be my assumption based upon their cost.

The oldest passengers I ever saw were on our Asia cruise on Princess. The average age on that one was easily 65 or so, with myself being the youngest person I ever saw onboard that was not crew - and I'm 41 (was in my 30s then). I never saw so many walkers, scooters and wheelchairs as I did on that cruise. I was so glad that my mom (who is extremely fit for her age) was able to do these cruises while she has no mobility difficulties. I did applaud those folks for going though -- it was a long flight and a lot of intensive shore excursions.

I do think that age often is just a number though -- my 75 year old mother in law can out speed walk me with little to no effort. Between she and my mom (who does a few miles a day on the treadmill), I say don't play the older folks cheap. Both never take the elevators on the ship unless they are going up at least seven decks either -- I don't either but I do it begrudgingly. :)

Edited by Waimea'sMom