Island Princess -- Tokens or Quarters in Laundry

jlesw

• 2 months later...
Off the Island Princess on November 12 after a full transit of the Panama Canal. We used quarters in the laundromat, $2 for washer and $2 for dryer.

SilverBird

Do you need to provide your own laundry detergent, or is it already in the machine via push button on the washer.

:rolleyes:

Your joking of course.

No, I'm not joking. I am on a 32 day cruise and don't want to pack laundry detergent if there is a liquid that is auto dispensed in the self serve machines. I have enough to pack without extra's that are not needed. I was on a HAL ship last year and this was the type of machine they used. Gee, if we are going to be so snide, perhaps you could learn the proper use of you're vs your.

No, I'm not joking. I am on a 32 day cruise and don't want to pack laundry detergent if there is a liquid that is auto dispensed in the self serve machines. I have enough to pack without extra's that are not needed. I was on a HAL ship last year and this was the type of machine they used. Gee, if we are going to be so snide, perhaps you could learn the proper use of you're vs your.

I have never been on a Princess ship that had auto dispensed laundry liquid. They do sell powered in the laundry rooms I was not being snide. Think you should chill out.

Edited by waltd

I have never been on a Princess ship that had auto dispensed laundry liquid.

The little ships (Ocean Princess size) used to have free solid laundry detergent that fed the washing machine, but you had to push a button to get it so it was not automatic.

In the picture below, it comes from the blue container on the wall.

1098325701_04612_10.07Self-ServiceLaundromatdeck7100_7878.jpg.cbdb7aa7e974263c33ff17424b91e67e.jpg

Edited by caribill

You need to bring your own or buy what you need from the vending machine in the laundry room.

Thanks everyone. I figured I would get the pods just in case. Just trying to fit everything into the luggage. Some ships use liquid dispensers. I am happy they have self serve laundry, so many cruise lines have eliminated them.

• 3 months later...
Hi anyone tell me how long a wash and dry load takes, do you have to stay in laundry room, and are there irons to use, if so is there a charge.

I think it is 20 - 30 minutes per load. I personally stay in the laundry room (with my iPad & a beverage ;) )but there is no rule to say you have to stay. I just hate the idea of someone touching my stuff. It is very rude to leave and come back late, so if you do step out, plan on being back shortly or you could find your clothes in a pile on the counter. There is no charge for the irons, just turn the timer dial to get it going and adjust the settings for the fabric you're ironing.

Can I ask what the new system is, I am going on the Royal?

Instead of inserting a number of quarters into the slots to use the washer or dryer, you insert one token. The token is obtained by swiping your cruise card at the token dispenser.

Same for buying detergent. A different token because the cost is different.

Instead of inserting a number of quarters into the slots to use the washer or dryer, you insert one token. The token is obtained by swiping your cruise card at the token dispenser.

Sounds simple enough.

This is the way it is on the Ruby, but not on the Crown. Just depends on the ship. They all have detergent for purchase (except the Small Ships of course).

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

This is the way it is on the Ruby, but not on the Crown. Just depends on the ship. They all have detergent for purchase (except the Small Ships of course).

Wait, what?! Then how did I purchase those small boxes of All and do my laundry on the Pacific? Unless they've been removed in the last year, the small ships do indeed have vending machines with detergent and softener.

When they removed the full-sized washer and dryers on the little girls and put in stacked machines they added dispensers so you can purchase soap. Prior to this the soap was included in cost of the washers and all you had to do was press a button above the machine to add soap to your load.

• 2 weeks later...