Anyone know why O has no CC sponsored meet and greet like Crystal?

alexandra cruiser

Never knew this but just signed on for first Cystal cruise and they had a sticky for meet and greet that is sponsored by CC,it seems. Must sign up and will host if 10 people also do it.Then drinks and treats provided,it says.

Have never seen this on others,has it been tried and I missed it.Or just for one line.If so, WHY??

Why- Because they don't want to.

Way back- O did a M&G with Yahoo of more than 30 pax on a cruise-R ships only at that time.

For a very short time a group of 60 (?) they did a M&G, but that ended quickly.

We've asked, begged and tried to get O on board for these. They do intros for Germans, Canadians, Brits, and others but no CCers.

Edited by sitraveler
speeling

Some lines acknowledge (and need) a good social media face.

Others feel it is unfair to support one group and not many nameless others.

Norwegian bends over backwards for Meet and Greets from CC.

I have hosted M&G's on Oceania without their 'official' support... they were very cooperative with admin support and supplying a venue.

They would have done the same if it was for a Dog Lovers group.. CC had nothing to do with it.

I've been to a number of M&G on Regent - privately arranged - over the years. The staff on board has always been very helpful in putting things together.

The M&G on Crystal are very nice too - and on one occasion, someone from CC was there as well.

Computerworks says that NCL does sponsor the gatherings - I wonder if R and O will change their policies going forward.

Peggy

Back in the early days Oceania did have M & G events as Lou mentioned

We sometimes had trouble getting 25 people to sign up

They did supply drinks & snacks, some officers attended

Fast forward 5-6+ yrs the size has grown for the M & G's some I have done are close to 100 people others I have seen are now in excess of 100 people

On the luxury lines snacks & liquor are included anyway so no big deal to host a M & G

Most of the organizers just want O to supply a venue for the M & G which most of the time they do without a problem

Last one I attended they even supplied a sign :eek:

i-qQr4HHn-M.jpg

Not so on the lux boards I see...most are sparsely populated

That has been my experience -- sometimes there are 2-4 people that show up. The largest I have seen was about 25 (on a long cruise). I am quite surprised to see such large groups on Oceania.

Some lines acknowledge (and need) a good social media face.

Others feel it is unfair to support one group and not many nameless others.

Norwegian bends over backwards for Meet and Greets from CC.

I have hosted M&G's on Oceania without their 'official' support... they were very cooperative with admin support and supplying a venue.

They would have done the same if it was for a Dog Lovers group.. CC had nothing to do with it.

Whom did you contact at Oceania to arrange the venue please?

thank you

My policy in setting up an M&G is to meet with the Concierge as soon as I can - preferably on the day we board. I provide the Concierge with two lists -- one alphabetical, the other by room number, but I think that's must by obsessive compulsive disorder kicking in. It just seems to me that given them a schedule by room number makes it order for the invitations to be delivered.

On Marina, with very large groups (all over 100 people), the ship has provided free nibbles (nuts, etc.). Just be sure to emphasize to the staff that it is a cash bar, otherwise you could end up with a rather large bill! The first time I set up a M&G on Oceania, the Concierge neglected to tell the bartender that it was a cash bar ... took quick action on my husband's part to get that corrected, but fortunately we were only about 25 people on that occasion.

Mura

ahh thanks. We will have concierge but I would like to organize before we go.

perhaps I'll try guest services? Thanks again.

You can check with the concierge when you board if you want invites sent they in turn check with the hotel manager to pick a time & spot that does not interfere with other activities

Or we just tell the concierge we will be having a group m & G after Muster drill just so they have enough bar staff

We have not had a problem like Mura with the bar issue they just take people's orders along with their cruise card

Just pick a spot and move in... First Sea Day... 11 am in the upstairs lounge.

tell them you already planned it when you board. :p

You can check with the concierge when you board if you want invites sent they in turn check with the hotel manager to pick a time & spot that does not interfere with other activities

Or we just tell the concierge we will be having a group m & G after Muster drill just so they have enough bar staff

We have not had a problem like Mura with the bar issue they just take people's orders along with their cruise card

Thanks both. :) Really appreciate the advise.:D

After muster it will be I fear as we have two port days after.

Lyn,

The only reason we had the bar problem was because they assumed that I was hosting it since the concierge hadn't informed the staff that it was NOT hosted! It was easily fixed. We just make sure now (by arriving early, which we would do anyway) and informing the bartender.

I also like to make up name tags, but that certainly isn't a requirement!

Kazu, I suspect that calling guest services won't help you prepare in advance, but quite frankly you don't need to do so. They have always scheduled these events within the first day or two of the cruise. Depending on the size of your group, you can certainly just show up and do it, but with a large group (say more than 40-50 people) it's best (I think) to talk to the Concierge. The biggest obstacle is usually the captain's party ... they don't want any conflicts with that.

Mura

I arranged the M & G on the Path of the Midnight Sun cruise this past August on Nautica. We had over 100 attendees! I met with the Concierge on embarkation day and told him what we as a group would like to do. He quickly involved the CD and was able to rearrange some activities so we would have Horizons to ourselves. I provided him a list of attendees as well as preprinted and addressed invites divided by decks (in an effort to make it as easy as possible on the crew). At the M&G, the CD and the GM came and welcomed us and mingled.

My advice would be to do as much as you can to make things easy for the crew, be flexible, and meet with the Concierge as soon as possible when you board.

Charlotte

I have arranged a few M&G's by meeting the food and beverage manager up in Horizons when we first boarded. At that time I asked if we could use the space on the Starboard side (near where they serve the early light breakfast) for our meeting. I told him about how many we expected after the emergency drill so that he could have enough staff present and snacks available for the cash bar. I brought a package of "Hello my Name is" stickers and Sharpies for people to sign in and meet up with others in their private tours. Reminder invites were put into cabin mail slots. I did one side of the ship my DW did the other. I think the biggest group was under 50 people. They put up a small sign and put up a velvet rope line so that walk ins went though us at the sign in table. Yes, it is important to have cabin numbers of people before boarding as it helps putting out the reminders.

Essentially, it's useless to try to organize before boarding. The single most important thing to arrange before the cruise is an açcurate guest list with full names and cabin numbers. This can be a bit difficult on line because many people object to posting the information publicly. Usually one person volunteers to host such a list by email. Take the list on board to the concierge (the one for the entire ship, not those in either lounge).

Why don't they handle it through Cruise Critic? Part of the reason may be because CC charges to handle it. They also do not want to favor any one group, or others will want the same. They will always support a group if someone pays for it...

Edited by hondorner

We've been to a few CC Meet&Greets. They were well attended, one was 100+ persons. We confirmed a time and place on our RC and just showed up! There were no invites distributed etc. We were given a name tag once we arrived in Horizons, ordered our own drinks and that was it. Some have had good success with getting help from the staff & some have not. We kept it simple which is far less trouble.

and now I realize SOMEONE is paying for it.Not just done by CC for SOME cruiselines,but they pay for it.Makes sense now.

Never have gone to one in past,just because they usually take place the first day after muster station drill.After long travel day,ready to just rest till dinner.But the one this Sat.will be on next day, so plan to go.;)