Just off Reflection.. main pool area LOUD !

curiouscat

:eek:

We just got back sat from Reflection.. we have done Solstice a couple of yrs ago.. the main pool area was a zoo... ok usual on sea days BUT they had no live music just a DJ that was so LOUD I could not hear my husband who was holding me in the pool talk... !!!!! I'm 50 and like music but this was like being in a Miami Club..

Also, I know they have volleyball in the pool but they also had "pool games".. I really felt like it was more RCCL than X... :(

am i missing something ???

CC

The volume on the ship is controlled by the cruise director (irrespective of the claim that HQ tells them how to set the volumes). You'll find that on shorter cruises, the music level is generally kept pretty loud....fun, fun, party, party, (and most important) drink, drink. We've been taking 14 day cruises (TA, Antarctica, ....) recently (we're older and have the time) and on those cruises, the music level has been quite low...in fact, while I hate loud repetitive music, I commented that on our last Infinity TA, the music in the martini bar was so low it was annoying because you could only hear bits an pieces of music. Turn it up or turn it off.

I'd bet on the reflection cruise, the martini bar was hopping and loud. Most all of the caribbean cruises have loud, party music...that's what people want...or at least what Celebrity thinks they want...which is what really matters.

If the pool doesn't suit your music volume, move next door to the Solarium pool, you can usually hear a pin drop at that pool.

Our problem with this would be that the Solarium is indoors and we prefer to be outside in the sunshine (as we hardly see it in the UK). :(

Our problem with this would be that the Solarium is indoors and we prefer to be outside in the sunshine (as we hardly see it in the UK). :(

Exactly I want Sun ..... it was all day. And loud beyond belief.. believe me I partied all night at the martini and Sky bar ...but would have preferred it not be like Carnival or RCCL at the main pool... It didn't have the X flavor.

CC

On our last Reflection cruise we found the pool area music a bit too loud. Actually it was a bit too loud in other places as well (Martini bar for one). We both love music, but when you're not in a club and the music is so loud you can't hold a conversation, then I feel it's too loud.

We would not sit by the pool area. The days we did not have an Alcove, we'd try to find a quiet spot by the lawn or the top front deck. While there was music at the Sunset Bar, it was at a reasonable volume.

I know everyone has different tastes, so if it was too loud for us, we just moved on.

Exactly I want Sun ..... it was all day. And loud beyond belief.. believe me I partied all night at the martini and Sky bar ...but would have preferred it not be like Carnival or RCCL at the main pool... It didn't have the X flavor.

CC

Sorry, but that's the new X "modern luxury" flavor that Celebrity thinks their target audience likes. Send your cards and letters to them....

We were just on the Silhouette TA. The weather was glorious for the entire crossing, and we spent a great deal of time sitting and reading on the pool deck (mostly in those wonderfully shaded loungers along the sides). A number of afternoons, the house band would play up there; they were talented but FAR too loud, especially later in the day when few people were left and a little piece and quiet would have been much better, as much as I enjoy live music.

I didn't have a problem with the pool volume ... it was the passenger volume that drove me nuts. I'd find a quiet place to take nap, and inevitably would be woken up by some E#$@$@ who needed to turn up his hearing aid (or get one!).

There was a fairly loud group that always seemed to find their way near me.

I was disappointed that there was not that much live music. The band who only played on one or two days was awesome (same band who played on deck 3 near guest relations.

As for the volleyball, my kids were disappointed that the net came up every afternoon in the deep pool, and often there would be no one in the pool or just a few waiting to get a game started.

Sorry, but that's the new X "modern luxury" flavor that Celebrity thinks their target audience likes. Send your cards and letters to them....

That's my type of modern luxury! I was thrilled to read this post because I was a bit concerned Celebrity was going to be too stuffy and quiet. I can think of nothing better than beats by the pool while I sip cocktails and enjoy a swim in the sunshine. I can't wait! :)

On Ref Nov 8...

we were happy in the Solarium so never bothered by loud pool music....

the DJ was VERY loud at the Martini bar , but very well controlled...when other acts played in the atrium or CafeBaccio...the DJ was quiet...when those acts stopped the DJ went full force...worked out well... everyone got a chance to enjoy!

great folksinger Brandi Paige on board, another OK duo Five O clock somewhere, house band and jazz group were excelent...lots of choices all around

we missed out on the DJs reggae party at Sunset Bar...it rained that night and no one was able to tell us if it'd be held outdoors or moved inside so we skipped it..

Sometimes there was the wierd tape played in BLU

all in all a big improvement from our last Silho cruise where there had been the loud DJ/ drum and wierd sound repeating loop....

Edited by hcat

I didn't have a problem with the pool volume ... it was the passenger volume that drove me nuts. I'd find a quiet place to take nap, and inevitably would be woken up by some E#$@$@ who needed to turn up his hearing aid (or get one!).

There was a fairly loud group that always seemed to find their way near me.

I was disappointed that there was not that much live music. The band who only played on one or two days was awesome (same band who played on deck 3 near guest relations.

As for the volleyball, my kids were disappointed that the net came up every afternoon in the deep pool, and often there would be no one in the pool or just a few waiting to get a game started.

I also found it strange that what used to be " Officers vs Guests" has now become " Guests vs Guests" pool volleyball!

No dancing with the Stripes, either.

Is Celebrity moving away from the friendly officers and interaction with the guests? Maybe just on the Reflection? How was it on other ships recently?

We were also on this sailing. In my opinion, I thought the music the DJ played was great. The DJ played all genres of music, from the Beach Boys to Taylor Swift. It was a good mix of music for all the different ages represented on the ship. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On Reflection last week and didn't find the music to be too loud at all. In fact the only time the DJ music was pretty loud was the Martini Bar after about 10:30-11. Exactly when we'd expect it to be. We had a great time and it was always popular.

We were also on this sailing. In my opinion, I thought the music the DJ played was great. The DJ played all genres of music, from the Beach Boys to Taylor Swift. It was a good mix of music for all the different ages represented on the ship. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the specifics. This is very helpful.

I am a fifty something who after my last Celebrity Cruise( i have been on 10 with Celebrity the last was on Reflection its maiden month) decided I would have to wait until I was 65 to return..so I am thrilled with your post...I hate that you were not happy however I like the possibility of having great food great service and a fun atmosphere. Crank up the music I will be back!

Just booked the Oasis maybe I can still cancel!

Just my 2 cents, but this is definitely subjective. I was on the same sailing and spent plenty of time by the pool, my main spot was right by the whirlpools, equidistant from the pool bar and the dj.

The music he played for only a couple hours didn't seem loud at all. I read for hours out there and wasn't bothered. His selections were great, a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I had just gotten my pinacolada when he started some Jimmy Buffett. He also threw in some Taylor Swift and other random pop hits. The pool games and volleyball game with the crew was fun to watch and I thought it was nice that the captain came by to watch it start.

Before we booked I was afraid it would be too "older generation" and it wasn't, I thought it was a good compromise between party party and a fun day by a pool.

I was also afraid of young kids running around and was prepared to spend time in the solarium but that was definitely the 55+ crowd. And the kids weren't bad at all... a whole group walked through in a straight line without even a peep.

Reflection...they had no live music just a DJ that was so LOUD...CC

One late afternoon, I agree, the DJ was too loud on pool deck 14. That was why everyone left. Most days it was OK. Having said that, we were happy with the different dancing venues, some until late. Generally, a great mix. The house band was fabulous, Motown to funk, the hybrid DJ couple in Martini Bar and Sky Lounge was good too. The jazz duo in Ensemble great as well. Sunset Bar, more like Jimmy Buffet, but the speakers, after the live show, need more bass. Overall, the music and dancing was great!

Just my 2 cents, but this is definitely subjective. I was on the same sailing and spent plenty of time by the pool, my main spot was right by the whirlpools, equidistant from the pool bar and the dj.

The music he played for only a couple hours didn't seem loud at all. I read for hours out there and wasn't bothered. His selections were great, a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I had just gotten my pinacolada when he started some Jimmy Buffett. He also threw in some Taylor Swift and other random pop hits. The pool games and volleyball game with the crew was fun to watch and I thought it was nice that the captain came by to watch it start.

Before we booked I was afraid it would be too "older generation" and it wasn't, I thought it was a good compromise between party party and a fun day by a pool.

I was also afraid of young kids running around and was prepared to spend time in the solarium but that was definitely the 55+ crowd. And the kids weren't bad at all... a whole group walked through in a straight line without even a peep.

just shows that some think the same music is so loud and others, like you and I would feel the same, don't. Seems that Celebrity is darned if the do and darned if they don't. Since it doesn't sound, from your post, there was music all day, those that didn't like the music could sun when the music wasn't playing.