Captain Club Upgrade Denied

Cbns

I wonder if you can help me with this matter. I just cancelled, paid the cancellation fee and rebooked an October 2015 Europe Cruise. At the same time I upgraded from a Concierge to an Aqua cabin. This was a cruise I originally booked while on my past cruise with the deal of an OBC of 200, a beverage package and my Captain's club one in category upgrade. Now Celebrity advises that while they will move over the OBC and Beverage package to my new booking they will not allow me a one in category upgrade. This is the first time I have encountered this so am wondering if others can help enlighten me. Thanks

It's my understanding that the captain's club one category upgrade is independent of any other celebrity offer. It is only available at time of booking and, as others have pointed out it is within category....c3 to c2 (not c2 to C1) and A2 to A1....not C? to A?

BTW The captain's club one category upgrade does not effect the stockholder credit. We had both on our last transatlantic.

Edited by ghstudio

Here are the terms from the fine print on Celebrity's web site. Was your upgrade request in conformity with this or not quite?

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

It is only available at time of booking and, as others have pointed out it is within category....c3 to c2 (not c2 to C1) and A2 to A1....not C? to A?

We're RCCL Diamond and didn't catch this when booking our first Celebrity Cruise as elite a couple months ago. But that is my interpretation - just a bump within the C, B etc. We booked a 1B, after learning of this benefit it looks like it might have saved us maybe 40.00 total. Not sure it's worth it to call and pursue it now that the cruise has been booked.......:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I just cancelled, paid the cancellation fee and rebooked an October 2015 Europe Cruise.

I'm also wondering - why a cancellation fee, when final payment is still many months away?

This was a cruise I originally booked while on my past cruise with the deal of an OBC of 200, a beverage package and my Captain's club one in category upgrade. Now Celebrity advises that while they will move over the OBC and Beverage package to my new booking ...

While I know nothing about Captain's club upgrades...If you cancelled and rebooked, why are they not giving you $300 OBC + beverage package + gratuities? The current promotion is worth much more than the original that Celebrity so graciously "moved over" for you.

I'm also booked on an October 2015 European cruise, but I'm still learning all the ins/outs. So I apologize if I am incorrect. :)

About cancellation fee - here in Germany (and in England, too if I am correct), you miss your deposit if you cancel.... I hate this! :( So perhaps this applies to Canada, too. ....

not a celebrity fee in Canada...perhaps their TA charges a cancellation fee.

As others have said, with the Captains Club upgrade offer you can't upgrade from Concierge to Aqua.

I wouldn't say the upgrade is of negligible value because it always saves you money. It may only be $20, but $20 is $20. Usually it is more than that for us.

I don't understand the cancellation fee either.

Edited by YVR cruiser

As others have said, with the Captains Club upgrade offer you can't upgrade from Concierge to Aqua.

I wouldn't say the upgrade is of negligible value because it always saves you money. It may only be $20, but $20 is $20. Usually it is more than that for us.

I don't understand the cancellation fee either.

I read it as they cancelled their Concierge class and rebooked in Aqua and was denied the upgrade within the Aqua class.

I assume the cancellation charge was a TA charge.

There also are other exceptions to the one class upgrade within the same catagory. We found out you can get a c-2 from a c-3 but could not get a c-1 from a c-2. Neither our knowledgable TA or us had seen the small print exception which is on the website elsewhere.

I wonder if you can help me with this matter. I just cancelled, paid the cancellation fee and rebooked an October 2015 Europe Cruise. At the same time I upgraded from a Concierge to an Aqua cabin. This was a cruise I originally booked while on my past cruise with the deal of an OBC of 200, a beverage package and my Captain's club one in category upgrade. Now Celebrity advises that while they will move over the OBC and Beverage package to my new booking they will not allow me a one in category upgrade. This is the first time I have encountered this so am wondering if others can help enlighten me. Thanks

I am a Canadian as well... And this certainly does not sit well with me (as explained)

So I am hoping the OP comes back and qualifies some points.

Currently as written...

First if it was a cancelled out booking for an October 2015 Cruise, there should indeed be no Cancellation Fee (especially so If handled direct with Celebrity)

Although some TAs are known to charge Cancellation Fees...

Which is one of the things that I suspect is going on here...

If you carried over your original Booking Number (although I fail to see why, considering the current offered perks are better) then yes it possible that you might not get / qualify for all of the "clauses"...

Only thing I can think of here, is it was originally made as an Onboard Booking... Which is the second thing I suspect here

And lastly the 1 Sub-Category Upgrade is not available on the New Booking, possibly because the Category wanted is already full up (Celebrity fine print says "based on availability ... Where & when available. As well as not on Holiday Sailings)

Or... someone has incorrectly decided that A2s to A1s don't qualify (as already mentioned C2s to C1s don't qualify... Nor do any Suites)

--- --- ---

Personally in this situation I would have:

Looked at the various options, to clearly define what was / is the better deal

And then, most likely would have determined it was the land offer (the current All Inclusive Deal)

Cancelled out entirely the Original Booking (got my Deposit Refunded). Rebooked under the AI Deal for either a Concierge or an Aqua... (AI = Classic Bevvy Pkg - Daily Grats - Cabin OBC). Requested BOTH my 1 Sub-Category Upgrade & my 50% Deposit

Cheers!

We thought that upgrades were generally in the same class of cabin (i.e. balcony to balcony; outside to outside). Going from Concierge to Aqua would not normally be that type of upgrade. I guess it might be possible to get an upgrade within the Aqua Class (many ships only have A1 and A2). Ironically, we have turned down upgrades within Aqua since we prefer the lower class aft cabins (on S Class ships) since they are not directly under the pool deck and its cavernous overhang.

Hank

Thanks for all your input. I am sorry if I was not cear. First I am not trying to get a Captain Club upgrade from Concierge to Aqua. I have an Aqua booking and would like to upgrade within that category. Also to clarify the cancellation fee was with a TA. Hope this helps

It's my understanding that the captain's club one category upgrade is independent of any other celebrity offer. It is only available at time of booking and, as others have pointed out it is within category....c3 to c2 (not c2 to C1) and A2 to A1....not C? to A?

As far as I know, this is 100% accurate

Thanks for all your input. I am sorry if I was not cear. First I am not trying to get a Captain Club upgrade from Concierge to Aqua. I have an Aqua booking and would like to upgrade within that category. Also to clarify the cancellation fee was with a TA. Hope this helps

If you have not already checked you should see if your cruise is available on the current 123 all inclusive deal. I was able to combine an Open Passage with the all inclusive.

I do not understand why you should not be able to get an A1 for the A2 price. I assume this is what they are telling you is not available?

Which cruise and are you trying to get an A1 for the price of an A2?

If yes I would ask again.

Jagcoffee, this is exactly what I am doing, combining my open passage with the 1,2,3 promotion. I also upgraded from Concierge to Aqua. I kept my original reservation number and everything worked out except the " in category " upgrade. I am going to try again. Thanks

We booked a C2 at the C3 price on ship last week, for our Nov 2015 cruise, got home and a TA had a better 'GROUP DEAL' on an A2 than we got on the C2. We cancelled the booking, and know that the Visa will get tagged for the $300 up front OBC we got.

We were told up front that in booking with the group the TA would not honor the 1 cat upgrade, because they had no A1's in the group, and if we cancelled there would be a fee from the agent.

Edited by wallie5446

We thought that upgrades were generally in the same class of cabin (i.e. balcony to balcony; outside to outside). Going from Concierge to Aqua would not normally be that type of upgrade. I guess it might be possible to get an upgrade within the Aqua Class (many ships only have A1 and A2). Ironically, we have turned down upgrades within Aqua since we prefer the lower class aft cabins (on S Class ships) since they are not directly under the pool deck and its cavernous overhang.

Hank

On the S-Class except Reflection I dont remember any Aqua on the Aft, all are on deck 11, the A1 are on the hump, all A2's are on the flat.

Jagcoffee, this is exactly what I am doing, combining my open passage with the 1,2,3 promotion. I also upgraded from Concierge to Aqua. I kept my original reservation number and everything worked out except the " in category " upgrade. I am going to try again. Thanks

Think that explains it then.

1- You are booked in with a TA (see comments made by WALLIE5446 in Reply # 19 above)

2- You have decided to keep your original booking number (probably because of the Open Passages Certificate, and using a TA / Cancellation Fees)

If you were to cancel out entirely, start over with Celebrity, then transfer to a TA, you might Totally come out ahead here (all the AI Offer Perks - 1 SubCategory Upgrade - and 50% Deposit)

But again this depends on what the Cancellation Fee is with the TA

I get that some TAs give out valuable perks (OBC)... But personally I tend to like administering my own Reservation direct with Celebrity precisely cause of situations like this one

You seem to be locked into a TA Group Booking Block, and this is why they are nailing you for Cancellation Fees and not giving you the Captain's Club one sub-category upgrade :(

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

On the S-Class except Reflection I dont remember any Aqua on the Aft, all are on deck 11, the A1 are on the hump, all A2's are on the flat.

I should have been clearer with my comment. When I said "aft" it was in reference to the group of Aqua Cabins located aft of the pool area. Although this section is on the same deck as the other Aquas, they are underneath other cabins (as opposed to the mid ship AQ which are under the pool area). Because of the design of the ship, the pool deck overhang is no longer one deck over the cabin thus giving the balcony more sun (and less shadow). We have an old habit (over forty years of cruising) of trying to get cabins that are surrounded (including above and below) by other cabins rather then public spaces.

Hank

I get that some TAs give out valuable perks (OBC)... But personally I tend to like administering my own Reservation direct with Celebrity precisely cause of situations like this one

Cheers!

We have heard about the wonderful deals some get, and the horror stories of others, and also liked being able to handle any situations that may arise directly. Which is why we too had not booked thru a TA since 1999!:eek: Until yesterday.

The difference was astounding. I called the Loyality desk @ X, and asked if they could match, NO. So we will have our first Aqua cabin and taste of Blu, on our first sailing at the Elite level in 360 days!

I should have been clearer with my comment. When I said "aft" it was in reference to the group of Aqua Cabins located aft of the pool area. Although this section is on the same deck as the other Aquas, they are underneath other cabins (as opposed to the mid ship AQ which are under the pool area). Because of the design of the ship, the pool deck overhang is no longer one deck over the cabin thus giving the balcony more sun (and less shadow). We have an old habit (over forty years of cruising) of trying to get cabins that are surrounded (including above and below) by other cabins rather then public spaces.

Hank

Ah, we also, hense the reason we are booked in 1634:D

It's not an automatic thing. When we were booking onboard, we got a C3 to C2 upgrade, but I overheard the loyalty ambassador next to me telling her client that the upgrade wasn't available for his cruise.

We also just booked a S2 and tried to get them to upgrade it to an S1 because we liked the location better. And were told that wasn't available.