Worried about a snooz cruz...

kekilia

In response to all this, we are delighted to sail with people - of whatever background - who share such values and who - it must be admitted - are more or less just like us.

I think your statement is right on the money and quite courageous. We all tend to prefer an atmosphere where we feel comfortable and that usually involves people with similar backgrounds, interests, experiences, education, values etc. That does not mean there is no diversity -- there is plenty of diversity within that framework -- but frequenting a cruise line is akin to joining a "club." You would not join a club if you had nothing in common with the membership.

When we sail on Oceania we KNOW we are going to find fellow passengers that we want to spend time with on the ship, on shore and beyond -- often leading to lasting friendships. That has NOT been the case for us on other lines. So we return to the place where we feel comfortable.

We were on the same cruise as Beachchairs2, and it was likewise our first Oceania cruise. Contrary to her, I will never go back to Celebrity again; too big, too loud, too many people and lines. But, unless the itinerary is unique and exactly what we're looking for, we won't go back to Oceania either. Like her, I missed the younger people, but not so much the kids as the child-bearing age people. Almost everyone was American and retirement age plus. At 64, we were unquestionably below the average age. I have no desire to cruise with people who are exactly like me. Our last cruise was on Azamara, and many of the passengers were European. Likewise, there were lots of people in their 40's and 50's. Oceania has lots of pluses (I'll eventually get around to a review, but the holidays are taking precedence right now), but the passenger mix is a deal killer for me.

I suspect the feeling applies the other way around -younger people don't necessary want to cruise with older folks:o On our last 4 O cruises the passengers were a mix of several nationalities..itinerary makes a difference.

I agree that no two cruises are alike...we have just done our first O cruise and will not come back again...good food alone does not for a cruise make for us....

we have done over 40 with celebrity and will go back ....but I will miss the kidless atmosphere.....

just generally , I found it to be very quiet on O....very little to do in the afts....our only lecturers were those on wines and ports...nothing else...very little to do in the evenings...never thought I would so look forward to meedlepoint.....

but the major difference for me is that I found too many people who are very indulged, used to being catered to and do not show much appreciation when things are done for them, they expect it...

we travelled with friends , so could avoid those types ....and yes we also met some wonderful people that we hope to see on celebrity....

Very well said. This was our second Oceania cruise. One 10 years ago, and one Nov 1st. Although the food was excellent, there was nothing going on. Bean bag toss and needlepoint, and let me not forget bridge, that was it. There was no entertainment, so to speak, as we could lie in bed every night and hear it. We did meet some nice couples, one quite a big younger than us. They said once was enough, and a delightful couple more our age that said they were not sure. I like a few choices, and there just were not any.

The 91 year old man with the 40 year old wife was interesting.

The speciality restaurants were not very special, so I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. When we would go to the martini bar, we could never get a seat. It was like an entitled group that took the place over and no one else was welcome.

We look forward to our return to the Celebrity Xpedition next month.

When we would go to the martini bar, we could never get a seat. It was like an entitled group that took the place over and no one else was welcome.

I found your comment about Martini's interesting. On our cruise, Martini's was empty -- except during Happy Hour when it seemed like everyone on the ship mobbed the place to get their half priced drinks. Rather than an "entitled group", I suspect that was an organized group on board that took over the lounge. We went wherever the mob wasn't:)

Very well said. This was our second Oceania cruise. One 10 years ago, and one Nov 1st. Although the food was excellent, there was nothing going on. Bean bag toss and needlepoint, and let me not forget bridge, that was it. There was no entertainment, so to speak, as we could lie in bed every night and hear it. We did meet some nice couples, one quite a big younger than us. They said once was enough, and a delightful couple more our age that said they were not sure. I like a few choices, and there just were not any.

The 91 year old man with the 40 year old wife was interesting.

The speciality restaurants were not very special, so I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. When we would go to the martini bar, we could never get a seat. It was like an entitled group that took the place over and no one else was welcome.

We look forward to our return to the Celebrity Xpedition next month.

We have cruised on the Xpedition (Galapagos). Surely you are not looking forward to returning to the Xpedition to find more activities than on Oceania :confused:

To go there for the destinations is one thing, for activities is another. I don't remember "much going on" on the Xpedition other than enjoying Galapagos themselves.

We have cruised on the Xpedition (Galapagos). Surely you are not looking forward to returning to the Xpedition to find more activities than on Oceania :confused:

To go there for the destinations is one thing, for activities is another. I don't remember "much going on" on the Xpedition other than enjoying Galapagos themselves.

You did not do all the hikes?

Hello - would the two of you be able to elaborate a little on exactly what differences you you're referring to? Especially in light of Oceania being better? We are wrestling with the decision to book O for a Med cruise next fall but are very unfamiliar with the product. We have cruised Celebrity and could use that experience in contrast if you would help out. TIA

They are very different experiences - mass market vs premium cruise lines.

We like the size of Oceania ships (both R & O), like the casual elegance, love the food and enjoy the ambience and the people that make up Oceania (both passengers & staff).

Here are some threads that might give you more insight on this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2102247&highlight=celebrity+vs+oceania

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889262&highlight=celebrity+vs+oceania

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1914743&highlight=celebrity+vs+oceania

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788748&highlight=celebrity+vs+oceania

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1777343&highlight=celebrity+vs+oceania

That does not mean there is no diversity -- there is plenty of diversity within that framework -- but frequenting a cruise line is akin to joining a "club." You would not join a club if you had nothing in common with the membership.

WOW! I guess we all have different goals in taking vacations/cruises. As you can tell from my signature, I do not take a cruise to "join a club." I am getting more and more feedback that makes me see Oceania is not for me. It appears to be a small clique, which is not what I want.

WOW! I guess we all have different goals in taking vacations/cruises. As you can tell from my signature, I do not take a cruise to "join a club." I am getting more and more feedback that makes me see Oceania is not for me. It appears to be a small clique, which is not what I want.

We don't cruise to "join a club", either. But, Oceania guests tend to be well traveled, "been there and done that", and familiar enough with cruising to have already experienced all the hoopla and silly activities on mainstream cruise lines. Some cruise for the destinations, some for the ship; some want a port every day and some love sea days; some never miss a show and some never have seen a show. There is both diversity and alikeness (to coin a word).

As for cliquishness, there is a slight element of that in so much as the majority of guests are repeat Oceania cruisers and look forward to seeing each other again. But newcomers are welcomed with open arms; I have never seen an "us versus them" attitude.

Ironic that you feel this way about O because of this forum --- when I see so much "R" in your signature.... the R forum projected an attitude which actually caused us to cancel a booked cruise.

Follow your heart. Don't sail O if you don't feel it is right for you. This forum is populated with folks who like this style of travel. It's how we roll. I don't think that makes this a clique -- just a big bunch of like-minded travelers.

Happy Thanksgiving. Time to make the stuffing!

A clique of 650 - 700 passengers? I don't think so.

It's not for everyone.

Carnival is not for everyone

Regent is not for everyone

Celebrity is not for everyone

No big deal. Just choose the line that suits your needs and wants. No need to disparage Oceania as "cliquish."

You are doing another Galapagos cruise? That ship is really small with 100 passengers and the focus is NOT on entertainment. We have just been on it.

I was not talking entertainment. I am referring to the overall experience. Yes we are going again in a month!

it makes me really happy to know that you were very pleased with the tours I organized....I guess I need to get over the few that really gave me grief and focus on those that are appreciative...

yes our next one is celebrity equinox in may to the med, with lots of tours organized by me and 4 days added on in switzerland, where we will do lugano, lucerne and zurich....so much cheaper when you organize yourself, but yes you have to be thick skinned to all types of people who take your work for granted....

I would be miffed as well. I would probably make it clear from the beginning that it's a hobby not a paid job. We had a constant complainer on a recent 4 week tour of only 8 people. He annoyed me a lot, but the others took him in stride. The guides coped well, more or less, with the whining.

Edited by Floridiana

My attraction to Oceania is that It is a ship for people who can entertain themselves and for whom interaction with others is enlightening and stimulating. Well educated and traveled folks who are also low key.

More than a Vegas show or dance review. In 10 cruises I have never been to a show.

People carry themselves with subtle and well mannered way. The décor compliments that and the food , well the best your going to get at sea.

Its a class but casual act where your options to interact are limitless.

Unlike some lux lines it is not all that formal but delightfully casual not faux formal

The one expedition ships don't attract me because they attract a almost fanatical sort of person over the top zealot's and political activists. I am a professional in that field but that atmosphere is even too much for me. So that's the other end of the spectrum.

The one expedition ships don't attract me because they attract a almost fanatical sort of person over the top zealot's and political activists. I am a professional in that field but that atmosphere is even too much for me. So that's the other end of the spectrum.

On how many have you been to make such a statement? ;) I have only been on 'expedition lite' and nobody like that was on it. The real expedition ships are filled with professionals, aren't they?

In perusing this thread I saw a few comments from people who were not enthralled with Oceania (which is their right). As much as I personally love Oceania, it always bothers me to see a post along the lines of "welcome to Oceania, you're going to love it". While most of us here who are regulars do, that doesn't mean everyone will!

And for the naysayers who make their judgment after one cruise (and I admit I was guilty of this regarding NCL) the passenger component can vary with the itinerary or time of year.

No, I'm not saying you should try again to see if the next one is better! But I've seen comments on other threads about how different activities and passengers are between, say, a Caribbean cruise and a more active port intensive cruise. (I can't speak to the Caribbean myself because it's 10 years since we did one and we've decided not to repeat. We might feel differently if we lived in or near Florida and just wanted to use the ship as the destination.)

Mura

On how many have you been to make such a statement? ;) I have only been on 'expedition lite' and nobody like that was on it. The real expedition ships are filled with professionals, aren't they?

I was working with the NPS as a naturalist in Alaska and Hawaii. It was the rule rather than the exception that the small ships and "natural history" tours drew from a rather well-to do demographic .

This made sense because of the very high fares only a specific strata could normally afford it. If those funds came from being a professional is was not from being a naturalist !

I stand by comment that there is a decided political active group, Sierra club. Earth First ,Save the Earth folks who could be rather outspoken and very outspoken/opinionated about the problems with society, the rainforest, animal rights and global warming. ETC. Sometimes people of similar interests don't see the intensity of their feelings and beliefs appear to others.

Its a Maslow scale that the better off you are the more room you have to think lofty thoughts.

Many are great, but likewise there are more than a few who are rather outspoken with their agenda. That my experience.

A clique of 650 - 700 passengers? I don't think so.

It's not for everyone.

Carnival is not for everyone

Regent is not for everyone

Celebrity is not for everyone

No big deal. Just choose the line that suits your needs and wants. No need to disparage Oceania as "cliquish."

As long as the "club" isn't overpaid attorneys that rip off their clients , I'm happy!! LOL😝

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Well, let's see if I can end a thread again, as I usually don't post that often and found this post intriguing, but it seems to be winding down.

We seek out snooze feasts on every cruise we have been on, including a very enjoyable week on Oasis of the Seas a year ago with 6200 other people and six fun cruises on Disney as a childless couple (gasp!). Our only recent experience that was less than stellar was our first cruise on Celebrity (Infinity), but my 48-hour quarantine for respiratory influenza probably influenced my perspective.

We are early to bed folks, don't dance or party too much (rather have a glass of or three of wine in our cabin and read before retiring) and our main activity on Oceania is trivia. We like the ambiance, the food, the country club casual approach, the low-key crew and the lack of "activities" to keep people amped up all day. On our cruise on Oasis last Christmas (done to see the ship), we laughed at the packed daily activities schedule and tossed it in the trash and spent our time relaxing in the solarium or in Central Park, or watching people having fun on the Sports deck. We had a great time!

We don't look for perfection. We can enjoy a small ship or a packed Disney World park (coming up at for the holidays). Watching people can be a joy and the small things make a great trip.

With that said, probably the worst group of passengers on any cruise we have taken (25 total) was on Oceania in September, 2012 on a cruise on Marina from London to Barcelona. We had a great time, but many other passengers made it clear that they had been deprived of something really important in their lives by being on that ship. This has not been our experience on other Oceania cruises, so perhaps that was a particularly grumpy crowd.

Oceania is our top choice these days, but we just enjoy cruising and seeing the world.