Weight Loss Surgery & Eating at Specialty Resturants

ashley_and_jason

Hi All! So we have a cruise booked on the Breakaway 10/4/2015 (my birthday!!) & I am having weight loss surgery in a few weeks. I will be 10 months post op at the time of my cruise and will only be able to eat maybe an ounce of food and what I can eat would be very limited.

I know that my boyfriend would like to eat at some of the specialty restaurants aboard the ship and I would like to join him, but do you think they would charge me full price even though I would be barely eating anything?

I called NCL to inquire about this and the girl I spoke to gave me a firm NO! I didn't like her attitude much and she seemed like she couldn't care less about helping me out. Would this be something I would have to discuss with Guest Services when we board the ship?

We dined with a gentleman that had bypass (intestinal) surgery about a year before (says he lost 100 lbs.)

He was able to eat a main course, and even a small appetizer, and if we sat at the table a couple of hours, perhaps a bit of a dessert.

Of course they will charge you the full price. You are taking up the space that would otherwise be used by a full paying passenger.

By your reasoning, a person who eats a lot should pay more because they order multiple entrees in the MDR and huge, multiple plates of food in the buffet.

Good luck on the weight loss surgery!

You will have to pay if you want to eat in a specialty restaurant. Doesn't have much to do with how much you eat. At this point in time, you can't be sure how much you may or may not eat. Price is not related to how much you eat, but on using the facility. If it's a treat for your boyfriend, the cost is probably worth it.

I had gastric sleeve surgery last month. I am cruising in January. I know I wont be able to eat too much, but I am planning on one night at Moderno and one night at Cagneys. I am not planning on asking for a discount, it is my choice to eat there knowing that I wont be eating too much. That said, my surgeon did give me a card to show at restaurants regarding how much I can eat, but I will probably just go ahead and pay the full charge. To tell the truth, I hadn't thought of trying to pay less until I read your post.

Good luck with your surgery!!

Suggestion: eat in the buffet, even to satisfy you. Then keep you BF company as he dines 'solo' in the surcharge restaurants.

I have had 3 sailings solo, and they have not charged me for two on each one, so as long as you're not ordering, then you're not paying. Even though I occupied the space that two might have sat at.

Stephen

Hi All! So we have a cruise booked on the Breakaway 10/4/2015 (my birthday!!) & I am having weight loss surgery in a few weeks. I will be 10 months post op at the time of my cruise and will only be able to eat maybe an ounce of food and what I can eat would be very limited.

I know that my boyfriend would like to eat at some of the specialty restaurants aboard the ship and I would like to join him, but do you think they would charge me full price even though I would be barely eating anything?

I called NCL to inquire about this and the girl I spoke to gave me a firm NO! I didn't like her attitude much and she seemed like she couldn't care less about helping me out. Would this be something I would have to discuss with Guest Services when we board the ship?

Try contacting the special needs/accessibility desk BEFORE you get on the ship. Perhaps they can help you. http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Suggestion: eat in the buffet, even to satisfy you. Then keep you BF company as he dines 'solo' in the surcharge restaurants.

I have had 3 sailings solo, and they have not charged me for two on each one, so as long as you're not ordering, then you're not paying. Even though I occupied the space that two might have sat at.

Stephen

I don't think that's the same thing.

Edited by jkgourmet

Stephen

Why would they charge you for two if you went in by yourself??:confused:

Why would they charge you for two if you went in by yourself??:confused:

I think what he means is he has occupied a table that could have been used for two, but obviously as everybody knows you wouldn't get penalized for being solo in this way, unlike in the way you pay a supplement for a single cabin.

They have a set price for dinner.

They do not have a price for a half dinner.

They do not have a price for a little dinner.

Well actually they do. They are all the same price.

It is only $15-$20 for the experience, including the dinner. You can eat a little, or a lot. Or share.

I used to date a person who had a gastric bypass. He could often use his card at restaurants to order child portions that would normally be only available to children under 12. Do the specialty restaurants have a reduced rate for children? If so, maybe you could ask to pay that because of your situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The "fee" for specialty restaurants is the tip, basically...you aren't really being charged for the food.

If you want to be with your boyfriend, and he wants to go, then you'll pay the fee, whether you eat or not.

Perhaps he'd rather accommodate you, and not eat there!

At 10 months out I really think you will be eating more then an ounce at a time. I am 4 months out and eat 3oz of protein at dinners with a few bites of veggies so if you order a 6oz steak you would probably be able to eat half of it and with time between courses you may eat a bite or two of an app. In the hospital they had us eating 2oz of yogurt or cream of wheat.

Enjoy your cruise and dont worry about the food, your tool will help take care of that. I am cruising at 10 months out too and cant wait.

As long as you don't eat and order anything from a specialty restaurant menu, then you shouldn't pay. Do any of the 2 and they will automatically charge you for it, as they should. The cover charge at some of specialty restaurants is pretty much a fee to eat there whether or not you eat any appetizers / entree / sides / desserts there. If your boyfriend want to be considerate of your inability to eat much, he can take you to al carte specialty restaurants like Wasabi or Shanghai, where you pay per price the meal items. Or like cb said, he should accommodate you and eat with you at free places like the MDR or O'sheenan's.

The "fee" for specialty restaurants is the tip, basically...you aren't really being charged for the food.

If you want to be with your boyfriend, and he wants to go, then you'll pay the fee, whether you eat or not.

Perhaps he'd rather accommodate you, and not eat there!

This would be wonderful, if there was any truth to it. But there is none.

You are charged per entree. The servers are part of the DSC, just like all other servers.

If you ask for 2 entrees, you would have 2 cover charges. On the other hand, with your cover charge also comes unlimited appetizers & desserts.

I am a picky eater. I may not eat more than a few bites of food at a specialty restaurant. Do I have to pay full price to dine next to my DH? Yes. Will you have to pay full price? Yes.

We both have the choice to skip the specialty (and the upcharge) and dine in the MDR.

Good luck on your surgery and enjoy your cruise.

I have a number of patient's plus friends who have had the Roux-en-Y gastric surgery and at month 10 are all eating because both they should be and can consume much more than an ounce of food. Sadly even at month 10 due to not following medical and dietitian's advice some are actually steadily regaining lost weight. At 9 weeks post op most people can eat most foods, sometimes its a trial & elimination game plus some get dumping syndrome etc. My suggestion is you meet with your dietitian pre-cruise as all the specialty restaurants have their menu's available and get her recommendations.

No one answered the question about the kid's meal. If they would charge you that price, it is half of the adult price.

As others have said, don't think of it as paying for the food, but the atmosphere and time with you bf.

Good luck on your surgery and enjoy your cruise!

You'll be eating at 10 months pretty much what you can expect to be eating for the rest of your life, if you don't stretch your pouch. It's better to just accept that you'll not eat a huge amount - but you'll be used to it by then.

You should be at 1 cup to 1.5 cups of food by a year out, so if you're thinking one ounce, you need to talk to your dietician again - one ounce of chicken is the size of your thumb. You'd be in serious trouble if that was all you were eating!

Eating at the speciality restaurant should still be enjoyable for you! Just order well, skip the dessert, and don't clear your plate (unless you're a big fan of dumping - spoiler, you're not ;) )